• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arts & Farts

Really cool stuff Mato, Raging, Arcipello, and everyone else contributing to this great thread!

I've been doing school stuff mostly and that's over so I'm gonna post some. Several studies for figure drawing class.

Last_by_BlkCelebration.jpg

academic_dump_pt_4_by_BlkCelebration.jpg

NSFW nude http://fc01.deviantart.com/fs43/f/2009/134/f/b/staff_by_BlkCelebration.jpg
Some hand studies
http://fc06.deviantart.com/fs42/f/2009/132/f/e/manos_by_BlkCelebration.jpg

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Fantastic studies! Ive definitely lost the handle on life drawing, I need to get back on that.

Almost done with the pencils for my Chrono Trigger piece. Gotta do the background and clean things up a tad.

ct_black_tyrano_wip_02.jpg

Thanks Raging! Can't wait to see the finished product. Love the perspective you got going!
I hope to do some fan arts myself pretty soon. I'm working on a quick piece for a Deviant art competition that's due tomorrow I believe.

Arcipello

Another concept piece, ive got a bunch of these and will post more once the game is actually out... or i might just make a seperate thread with all of them in as some members have suggested.

The_Hanger___Bionic_Commando_by_arcipello.jpg

DM_Uselink said:
Thanks Raging! Can't wait to see the finished product. Love the perspective you got going!
I hope to do some fan arts myself pretty soon. I'm working on a quick piece for a Deviant art competition that's due tomorrow I believe.
I love those studies! You really have a "strong" but still soft style..can'T explain it really well but it's got a unique touch to it!

@ Arcipello: Awesome! How long did you sit on that last one? :D Are you painting in one sitting or is it more of a "let's paint a bit of that one today"-story?

Thank you DieNgamers! Awesome concepts Arcipello, I'd love to see anything you can show from that project.

Here's the submission to the "good vs evil" contest at Deviant to win a Wacom Intuos 4 (not holding my breath), please click to view the full size :)

technically it's art, but i started putting together a show with these characters. i cut them out and bounce them around on sticks

HNI_0001.jpg

HNI_0002.jpg

HNI_0015.jpg

Dreweyes said:
Here are a few works I've made recently for my print portfolio:

ViDEOBOY

Quick character I created for a maya animation project I'm starting.
Stole the haircut from one of the elite four in pokemon diamond. :D

l_ecb93ecb7f10447ab60808d67b534f6c.jpg
omfg this is just the coolest thing i've seen all week

RyType

Really loving the vidboy, it looks good enough to be in something like Earthbound. :) Also, Its a couple of pages back but I still think SP's sprites still look incredibly charming, I kinda want to try drawing it.

New stuff from me, I haven't had enough time to colour them in yet so its all black & white.

16lh9ok.jpg

2ljkg7m.jpg

Quick question, has anybody submitted stuff for threadless before? I was kinda hoping I could try I don't really know how it works, or if any of my stuff would be 't-shirt' worthy, does the art have to be in vector? I really need to find a way to promote my stuff.

Darkpen

Banned
I guess I'll post some art :<
ART DUMP!!! D: D: D:

Julie_Collab_by_Dark_Pen.jpg

This is pretty old now. Its a collab piece I made with a friend, as I drew the one on the left, and colored the one on the right, and he did the opposite.

emuuzozo-1copy.png

Colored only, inks by another friend.

thread41-final.png

Drew this a long time ago for wikichan. Sort of wanted to do a series, but was too daunting.

woodridgeontario-shesarainbowmodel2.jpg

D_G_ad_model_study_by_Dark_Pen.jpg

This is what happens when I copy magazines :S

mainadiggyrockinout.jpg

Drew this for a friend; really like the rocker, not so much everything else.

rocketraidensketch.jpg

Meant to finish this and I never did :S

Sketch___Keira_Knightley_by_Dark_Pen.jpg

lol keira knightley :S

Anneliese_and_Delphine___lines_by_Dark_Pen.jpg

I probably won't color this for a while, if ever :S I made it so a friend would color it, but she still hasn't :(

Pink_Hairband___colored_by_Dark_Pen.jpg

I really like the color work I did on this, but it feels kinda creepy to show it off :S

And to finish it all off:

METAL_GEAR___by_Dark_Pen.png

some oekaki D:

http://dark-pen.deviantart.com

soulbent

Self_Organized_Criticality_by_Soulbend.jpg

I apologize for this small wall of text.

Ok, GAF, I'm a pretty stupid guy. When I started this picture long ago, it was a very poorly planned experiment, started as a means to discover my style and methods. Well, now I'm pretty sure its done and I'm satisfied with it. I, however, fucked up big time, and I knew this all along, I just didn't take it seriously enough until it was close to being finished.

The resolution you see here is the maximum resolution of the picture there is. It is 875X800 pixels. I basically drew on this picture with a graphics tablet at the pixel level (1-5 size brushes) border to border, and since the resolution is so low, I cannot scale it up or down without significant detail loss, and I certainly can't make a decent print out of it.

Now I've always considered myself as somewhat talented, but it is rare I complete a project I've started, and none to date have been this elaborate. There have been large periods of time when I didn't touch this picture. At one point in time, even though I knew it would have glaring faults, I just decided to finish it simply to say I could.

So I ask you, discriminating readers and posters of GAF, would it be worth it to blow this picture up in Photoshop to 3-4 times the resolution and go over the whole thing with finer detail? Or should I simply move on to bigger and better things with my newly found style and ideas? Any criticism at all is welcome.

Xun

soulbent said:

Ok, GAF, I'm a pretty stupid guy. When I started this picture long ago, it was a very poorly planned experiment, started as a means to discover my style and methods. Well, now I'm pretty sure its done and I'm satisfied with it. I, however, fucked up big time, and I knew this all along, I just didn't take it seriously enough until it was close to being finished.

The resolution you see here is the maximum resolution of the picture there is. It is 875X800 pixels. I basically drew on this picture with a graphics tablet at the pixel level (1-5 size brushes) border to border, and since the resolution is so low, I cannot scale it up or down without significant detail loss, and I certainly can't make a decent print out of it.

Now I've always considered myself as somewhat talented, but it is rare I complete a project I've started, and none to date have been this elaborate. There have been large periods of time when I didn't touch this picture. At one point in time, even though I knew it would have glaring faults, I just decided to finish it simply to say I could.

So I ask you, discriminating readers and posters of GAF, would it be worth it to blow this picture up in Photoshop to 3-4 times the resolution and go over the whole thing with finer detail? Or should I simply move on to bigger and better things with my newly found style and ideas? Any criticism at all is welcome.
Wow, impressive man.

You may be able to blow it up and work on top, though it will take a while.

But seriously, if I were you I'd make a new, even better piece.

Edit: How about something like this? http://tomritchie.net/Self_Organized_Criticality_by_Soulbend.jpg

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
Mr. Spinnington said:
;p

well it's finished to be honest. i may have made an thread about the whole thing if i had privileges to post or if i weren't on the fence about showing it to a forum

http://vimeo.com/4821889

enjoy!
hah! awesome video, though a little long. Are you doing a series?

Wow some really great stuff on this page
I've gotten back to working on this project of mine. Basically, I'm drawing some of my favorite moments in comics history so I can blow them up. I've already done a Watchmen one, Sandman one, one Miracleman one and I just finished another Miracleman one. This one took me 16 hours to draw and ink. Originally drawn by John Totleben
tookforever1.jpg

One of my friends asked me to design a tattoo for her that was generally pretty simple. This is what I came up with. She says she loves it but she hasn't gotten it done yet. Obviously, those pencil lines aren't really part of the tattoo
tattoo.jpg

Darkpen

Banned
soulbent said:

I say blow it up, but retain its pixely nature instead of having a bunch of weird blendy image loss.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Got another piece done, this is all for an art challenge btw. 3 months and one piece a day.

day_03.jpg

Hand drawn art (is what I do), will always be viewed in my eyes as having more talent than anyone who uses a computer. Now, this is not to say that people aren't capable of creating some stunningly beautiful pieces of art with a computer, but you take someone who makes something in Maya or 3DStudio and give them a piece of paper & pencil and you'll often see their magic, just fade away. The same can also be said about the person who can take paint to canvas and create the next Monet, but in their defense, they can learn to handle a tablet and/or PC to also create the same art on it.

Mik2121

DiatribeEQ said:
Hand drawn art (is what I do), will always be viewed in my eyes as having more talent than anyone who uses a computer. Now, this is not to say that people aren't capable of creating some stunningly beautiful pieces of art with a computer, but you take someone who makes something in Maya or 3DStudio and give them a piece of paper & pencil and you'll often see their magic, just fade away. The same can also be said about the person who can take paint to canvas and create the next Monet, but in their defense, they can learn to handle a tablet and/or PC to also create the same art on it.

True. Too bad nowadays you need a computer to create most of the stuff (for games, movies, etc..).

And if someone can use a canvas and learn to handle a tablet, couldn't the person using the tablet learn to do hand drawings? :p

Either way, I'm against learning to do stuff with PC without learning the basics of hand drawings. And I bet most professionals don't do that, so if you take one professional and give him a pen and paper, he will probably draw you something as stunning :p

Regarding having more or less talent... well.. I don't really know about that. Sometimes hand drawings can get away with some not-so-good things just because they are hand drawings, when you have some really stunning computer-created stuff that gets completely ignored. If you ask me, the real good computer-created stuff needs as much or even more talent than a hand-drawing might need.

Arcipello

DiatribeEQ said:

canofworms1.jpg

Mik2121 said:
True. Too bad nowadays you need a computer to create most of the stuff (for games, movies, etc..).

And if someone can use a canvas and learn to handle a tablet, couldn't the person using the tablet learn to do hand drawings? :p

Either way, I'm against learning to do stuff with PC without learning the basics of hand drawings. And I bet most professionals don't do that, so if you take one professional and give him a pen and paper, he will probably draw you something as stunning :p

Regarding having more or less talent... well.. I don't really know about that. Sometimes hand drawings can get away with some not-so-good things just because they are hand drawings, when you have some really stunning computer-created stuff that gets completely ignored. If you ask me, the real good computer-created stuff needs as much or even more talent than a hand-drawing might need.

Considering that much of the works done on a computer can have it naturally "auto assist" someone in doing a job, versus the same person doing the same thing on canvas paint the picture or clay to mold the model, there is more raw talent in the person doing everything on his or her own, than having a computer "help" things out.

Mik2121

DiatribeEQ said:
Considering that much of the works done on a computer can have it naturally "auto assist" someone in doing a job, versus the same person doing the same thing on canvas paint the picture or clay to mold the model, there is more raw talent in the person doing everything on his or her own, than having a computer "help" things out.

Auto assist? For example? (I think I know what you are talking about, but still..)

/actually, nvm/

Arcipello said:

It's not that I'm opening up a can of worms here, there's more to it than that. For example:

Someone who uses Maya or 3Studio to create 3d models of alien soldiers or simple things like creating an Elephant, those folks are more likely able to go to a huge block of clay in create the very same thing, if given enough time. Artistic talents like that can be crossed over due to the nature of what they're doing. Now, it's to be seen if they could build that alien space station they also create for the soldier, but hopefully you get my point.

Now, with that being said, I've seen so many pieces of work that looks great. The origin of the artwork is at the very least, the outline of a character, scanned into a PC/Mac and then manipulated from there (if not outright done on a Wacom tablet). This new generation of artist does a stunningly awesome job giving us something to look at, till you start stripping out what the computer actually did for them.

An example of this is much of todays comic books. I've seen so many artists put out some cool as hell covers/interior artwork. You then go to see what it would take to buy the artwork and start look looking at the scanned versions online and often are surprised to see so much barren space either in the interior of the comic itself (due to digital editing putting stuff in for the artist) or the artwork itself taking a healthy dip in the overall quality due to the coloring itself being a major, major crutch used to prop up the art itself.

Mik2121 said:
Auto assist? For example? (I think I know what you are talking about, but still..)

Ever watch one of those painting shows on PBS where they blend colors together on their boards, lay down the primary base of the oil on the canvas, then go back in and mix in a highlighting color either around it or over top it? That's just one of many, many in things in a very, very same area.

Another example is someone using a charcoal pencil for a b/w piece. They're able to go in and simply using their fingers, blend different gradients from dark black to light to help give the illusion of shadowing or whatever. With a PC, they can have it do the very same thing, without taking more than a couple mouse clicks to do it.

Now, don't get me wrong, it does take talent to do all of this on the PC. Don't think I'm saying these folks don't have talent: They do. But the folks who are able to do the very same thing, freehand with pen & paper? They simply have more of it.

Arcipello

DiatribeEQ said:
Ever watch one of those painting shows on PBS where they blend colors together on their boards, lay down the primary base of the oil on the canvas, then go back in and mix in a highlighting color either around it or over top it? That's just one of many, many in things in a very, very same area.

I think you are falling into the trap of focusing too much on the medium itself... what you need to remember is that this is all about "art". Watercolour painters were subjected to the same suspicious treatment due to how easy and fast they were able to paint with their new medium...and don't even get me started on photography. I've been drawing all my life and it was only when i was 18 that i decided to try some digital stuff, that is when i really took off as an artist. there is just so much freedom to explore your own style and experiment with new techniques that it seems almost ridiculous to want to restrict that creativity to a single pencil and piece of paper. I of course understand your point about people jumping into the digital medium before they have learnt the fundamentals, however i must admit i had never really coloured anything before i started digital art. So even though its best to have a solid foundation of traditional techniques before going digital it must also be said that even more can be learned from using computers.

Raging Spaniard

ts an interesting discussion but I agree with Arcipello. Sure it takes great talent and skill to be a great traditional painter but it doesn't make things any easier to do art on a computer, it just makes it more accessible.

Im sure that people long ago had the same debate when brushes were invented, all the finger painting guys must have been piiiissed.

Dali

Mik2121 said:
Yeah, I think I might add one arm to the guy I posted, and something else to fit the theme, and I will just use it, lol.
It's supposed to be original art made for the challenge.

edit:

wtf at the diatribe

Mik2121

Dali said:
It's supposed to be original art made for the challenge.

edit:

wtf at the diatribe

Even if I'm just reusing a body I did actually after the thread got created? :p (I made the body two days ago) And 80% of the whole thing after thinking up the idea? I'm just reusing the base just so I don't have to create it again :/

OchreHand

oh lord.. this is a can of ugly poop if you start debating authenticity between digital art vs traditional art. pros and cons to both, the medium is a tool. having a solid understanding of picture making is the most important thing.

it also reminds me how pastel artists get flack because their medium was deemed too feminine in comparison to oils.

zoukka

Computer is an easy way to create art? No shit.

So is pencil and paper when compared to cave paintings and hieroglyphs... I wish I had the hardware and software to start learning digital painting :/

Nobody can master every medium.

Top Bottom