• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

As a lifelong (but merely casual) Street Fighter fan, don't feel like I have a place

It's too late now. Capcom should abandon all sp modes after this and just try to improve online for the crowd they got left. The game is losing players at a rapid pace imo. Casual ship has long sailed they ain't getting those players back. Just try to improve on what the current small player base want. Atleast they can salvage something from this sinking vessel by selling dlc to existing players. Also there maybe one last thing that can save this and that is a f2p mode ASAP.

My whole thing is fighting games are in a interesting place, potential for modest growth and a really robust scene, HOWEVER, the main bottleneck with how these games progress is how they teach you, nobody involved be it developers, pros, tourney people or scene elders know how to bridge that gap and until there is a better way to teach people outside of relying on some factors outside your control (For example you can live in area with a dead scene, you can't get or afford good net for netplay) to smooth over the rough patches.

Fighting games rely on you learning how to play them decently to get the most out of them, but to get there they put many stumbling blocks that retard growth some of this shit is paradoxical but it's how things have been so nobody wants to change shit.

First you must learn the inputs of the moves, then the timings,then you must learn ranges and movement, then you must learn your character the put it all together then you must learn match ups, then congratulations you are at base level now you must learn game plans and how to juggle all of that while figuring out your opponent, that is asking far too much of the lay person, anybody who thinks things as they are now and can grow the scene at a rate they want are either deceitful or are fools, one or the other.

Ideally this can be allivietated if there is a diverse enough player pool that all skill levels are properly represented where when playing people of like skill you can naturally level up or stay content, but some would argue with a barebones non online component the player base is small and is dominated by the skilled people who crush and run away new blood then bitch about the lack of new blood or bitch about how some people play. Those mindsets are bizzare but not the topic of this thread.

So I feel what the OP is saying nobody around the level to play with, I don't think it's because you are not what Capcom is looking for, I think they have no idea what they are doing and are making a game for a phantom audience, they can't teach their own games, they are too tied to dogma, until something changes this will remain niche.

That said the implosion of esports could be amusing on this end.

1: Virtua Fighter 4: Evo (compare and contrast with the all-too perception that VF is byzantine and inscrutable...)

2: Half of learning is a good student (see above and like, my entire raiding career)

Is it really impossible to get better at the game?

I feel like you get out of it what you put in. It requires dedication but that shouldnt be considered a negative. If you only play a few hours one or two times every other week you won't ever learn anything,

I think if you wanted to be somewhat competitive online it takes playing almost every day to stay fresh and tune your reactions and build knowledge.

Many people don't play fighting games to be "competitive" and they don't want to "git gud". They just want to fire up SF or Tekken and release some stress. They don't want to be pounded into the ground over and over by people who pour over combo charts and YT vids, or some guy who exploits cheap moves or bad netcode. They just want to play against the AI (or against their friends on the couch) and have fun for an hour.

Many people don't play fighting games to be "competitive" and they don't want to "git gud". They just want to fire up SF or Tekken and release some stress. They don't want to be pounded into the ground over and over by people who pour over combo charts and YT vids, or some guy who exploits cheap moves or bad netcode. They just want to play against the AI (or against their friends on the couch) and have fun for an hour.

Sounds like cod.

Most everyone wants to "git gud", but not too many like or can tolerate the process.

liquidtmd

Banned

This is me. I've been a Street Fighter fan from playing SF2 in my local video rental place in the early 90s. Ive bought at least five entries in the series and in the last 25 years I've never heard anything as off putting to me as a buyer than Capcoms focus on the FGC with various aspects of SFV

They want to chase the dedicated FGC money? Good luck to them. Enjoy nurturing a dedicated online community that destroy newcomers who have no single player to fall back on.

My friend is in a similar situation. He loves fighting games, and is really good at them, but somehow he's still getting bodied online by way higher rank people and it makes him not want to play.

I'm currently on my way to Gold rank, so I guess this game is for me!

Paulie_C

Neo Member
I'm in the same boat OP. Don't have the time or inclination to dedicate the time to get good. I still try to get a match in a day.

I hate having to pick a favorite fighter before searching online. Makes me less willing to try out different characters even in casual.

I've found the matchmaking to set me up with rookie or bronzes. No higher than super bronze one win off a silver.

Still had a great fight last night (only cause I won)

Wild Card

How can people be mad that their getting beat up in a 1v1 competitive game? When you say you don't want to "git gud" and just have fun, but the fun you want is to win? Obviously for people asking for other non-online modes this would not apply. But if your fun is winning (and winning is fun) and the path to winning more is to get better, I don't know what you can expect if you don't want to get better. Winning and fun would be linked in this case. Some obstacles to this could be matchmaking, and obviously time has passed since the release, people have moved on, that ocean of sharks has shrunk into a lake. So besides other modes developers would have to implement, I don't see a way to make this online enviorment any more approachable, because the game itself is simpler that SF has been in quite a while.

If Capcom does what they say they will. SF should be a pretty solid fighter to play more casually by end of the the year.

I personally think it's worth just learning, it's really not a hard game to get competent at.

Also think they should do a free to play or cheap version

liquidtmd

Banned
How can people be mad that their getting beat up in a 1v1 competitive game? When you say you don't want to "git gud" and just have fun, but the fun you want is to win? Obviously for people asking for other non-online modes this would not apply. But if your fun is winning (and winning is fun) and the path to winning more is to get better, I don't know what you can expect if you don't want to get better. Winning and fun would be linked in this case. Some obstacles to this could be matchmaking, and obviously time has passed since the release, people have moved on, that ocean of sharks has shrunk into a lake. So besides other modes developers would have to implement, I don't see a way to make this online enviorment any more approachable, because the game itself is simpler that SF has been in quite a while.

Imagine buying a Chess game with no decently structured vs. CPU mode and online matches that 6/10 times matched you with Garry Kasparov or Deep Blue

patapuf

The matchmaking is definitely weird.

getting bodied wouldn't be nearly as much of an issue if finding opponents didn't take forever. Never played an 1v1 game with matchmaking so slow

Wild Card

Imagine buying a Chess game with no decently structured vs. CPU mode and online matches that 6/10 times matched you with Garry Kasparov or Deep Blue

Yeah I get that, other modes, improvement of exisitng ones, all that stuff I understand. Matchmaking getting better. But I guess what is the average difficulty someone play on chess and how does that compare with the persons ability and whoever they match up with online.

panzone

Don't worry OP, until I'm playing SFV there always be at least one person online that you can beat.

The matchmaking is definitely weird.

getting bodied wouldn't be nearly as much of an issue if finding opponents didn't take forever. Never played an 1v1 game with matchmaking so slow

But yeah, this is so true. I can actually understand wanting to concentrate on the multiplayer (local and online), but at least give me an online that works. It's so slow to find players (and since it seems to even ignore the rank points since, as a Bronze, I continue to find only Silver+, it should be easy to find someone) and the continue syncs ups, frame loss... it's frustrating.

SephLuis

Teaching in the way I'm talking about is more than just training mode, those training modes while fine are really shown how good they are when you have a vocabulary to build wit.

A fresh beginner will not be properly taught how to scale just with that, they need some ques in game with the system that can show where they can improve, there also needs to be a large enough pool so people can fall into their skill buckets and there are other things that we just don't know yet, so that is where I am going with teaching.

And yes the real bottleneck is playing and enjoying yourself enough to just learn playing against other people, that is a huge shackle on a fighting game's appeal. The preparing people to do the training is where the breakthrough will have to occur.

I always try to tackle tutorials pretending I don't know nothing about fighting games and, at least, in Skullgirls and Guilty Gear, I do think they made great progress into relaying the basics. Even if the person doesn't know nothing about FGs. Even for FGs that doesn't have great tutorials, there are many, many online guides made for beginners.

As I said, no game will probably have a pool of players representing all skills levels. Eventually, players will get better and those in the beginning will have their own learning process, that is unavoidable, especially when trey try to play against other players instead of the CPU.

As I said, eventually the player will have to put some work if they hope to get better. If anything, this initial process is much more painless that it was before, however, the skill ceiling for everyone went up because of that, so even a beginner knows a few basics nowadays.

I will just never understand this call for more single player content in these games. If you want to just "release stress" for an hour or so, why wouldn't you go play something that's actually good instead of a dumbed down action game, playing a bunch of garbage mini-games, or reading a terrible visual novel?

That has nothing to do with "gitting gud" either. I can understand people who don't want to take the game too seriously having a problem staying engaged online since every fighting game dev has been truly incompetent on that front. But none of the solutions to that problem involve more single player content. If the very notion of playing with other humans is a problem, just go play something else.

MrCarter

At the end of the day I can't deny Capcom *ucked up big time on not maximising on the "casual" crowd for sales but I have no doubt that this game will build upon that and keep on growing and growing over the years. Competitively they have been successful as EVO numbers are probably past 4000 entrants by now but in order to stay relevant and popular among the "casual" crowd they need to get those modes and features in pronto.

leroidys

I will just never understand this call for more single player content in these games. If you want to just "release stress" for an hour or so, why wouldn't you go play something that's actually good instead of a dumbed down action game, playing a bunch of garbage mini-games, or reading a terrible visual novel?

That has nothing to do with "gitting gud" either. I can understand people who don't want to take the game too seriously having a problem staying engaged online since every fighting game dev has been truly incompetent on that front. But none of the solutions to that problem involve more single player content. If the very notion of playing with other humans is a problem, just go play something else.
The online content sucks for casuals too though.

It's not like other fighting games haven't had good, basic single player content before. Even Capcom games like Rival Schools and Red Earth.

Don't worry OP, until I'm playing SFV there always be at least one person online that you can beat.

But yeah, this is so true. I can actually understand wanting to concentrate on the multiplayer (local and online), but at least give me an online that works. It's so slow to find players (and since it seems to even ignore the rank points since, as a Bronze, I continue to find only Silver+, it should be easy to find someone) and the continue syncs ups, frame loss... it's frustrating.

yeah, frame-loss is especially frustrating, but I chalk that up to the nature of online-play

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty

this argument is predicated upon the game's AI being shit
good fighting game AI has been around for over a decade

SephLuis

I feel that SP content is an alternative to help beginners get used to the game, instead of just throwing them online. Sometimes, people are satisfied just beating up the CPU and never going against other players.

I know that when I was beginning, I was playing a ton of arcade mode in SF II when another friend of mine couldn't play. Even today in SF V I put a vs CPU scenario to train if I can use a new combo in a "real match".

I think SP content is important especially if you are just starting. For us that are used to the game, we can spend infinite hours into the online and never look back.

Hm but that means you're just pitted against AI opponents instead of actual humans.

With the exception of SFAlpha on PS2, most of the storyline modes were really, really barebones (screenshot, cutscene, done).

That being said, it shouldn't be hard for them to add one to SFV.

Fitts

I'm right there with you OP. I love the series, but it's an uphill battle to play for sure and it only gets tougher as you get older. I took a break to play DS3 when that released and between that and buying a house I haven't touched the game since Alex dropped. (still haven't beat DS3 either) I don't have the time to grind shit out in training mode to get my bearings back -- nor do I want to because I just don't find it very enjoyable. I stopped treating gaming like it was a second job long ago.

Personally, I just wish the input buffer was just a bit more lenient. That would solve any issue I have just jumping in and playing. I don't need to win but feeling like you're fighting the game/your ever deteriorating muscle memory instead of your opponent just isn't much fun.

MrCarter

They do have good AI though. Even in training mode if you set the difficulty up to 10 it can be very challenging, it's just Capcom (stupidly) decided not to implement the bloody thing within a "classic" arcade mode.

Timeaisis

It seems like Capcom is less and less interested in the casual fighting game audience. I enjoy fighting games, I enjoy watching FGC stuff and talking about it, but I will never, ever be at that level and I don't want to be. It does seem like they don't care about the casual audience anymore, and it's also obviously they prioritized getting the game out for EVO over finishing it with content for casual players. MKX, as much as it's a lesser fighting game, is a much better overall package.

And I say this with the opinion that SFV is a very well designed fighting game with really great mechanics. I just got bored of doing the same 1v1 over and over again and getting rolled.

I'm in the same boat as the OP as far as being an OG SF casual but I'm at the point to where I can at least win a round if not a full match here and there against most really good players that I run into.

I've never felt that the online component or even human component of SF in general was ever for me. Playing against the CPU has been my jam up until now and I decided to finally git gud before I even knew they would strip the single player mode, so Capcom actually did me a solid by taking away that temptation to run to single player whenever I get frustrated playing online.

this is like me going into a dark souls thread yelling that they should go play a fighting game instead of doing pvp

they're obviously there because the like dark souls. for whatever reason people were drawn to SF before, there's nothing less legitimate about it. especially if it's based on methods of entertainment that existed in prior games.

panzone

yeah, frame-loss is especially frustrating, but I chalk that up to the nature of online-play

But Skullgirls works so much better.

We're talking about Capcom and one of the most if not the most important fighting game here. I don't think I'm asking too much.

MrCarter

It's alright. I'm been trying to get into Skull Girlz but I can't after playing SFV. I've also been playing some 3D fighters like One Piece: Burning Blood and Ninja Storm 4 as constantly playing 2D fighters can get very tiresome at times.

I just have lost interest. Fuck Street fighter. Playing KI, GG, blazblue, MKX and a bit of Skullgirls.

More pissed of about how long tekken is taking than SFV at this point. Whatever.

I wonder if they should include an option that let you disable all the refinements / new elements in one hit, bringing the gameplay right back to simple SF2. I know i could still have fun playing SF2 Turbo the same way i did 25 (jesus!) years ago. Have a mode with no supers, no v-whatever, no dash. I had more fun with SF4 at the very beginning until everyone was pulling off FADC's in their sleep.

KOF14 might work out better for casual if the true 3vs3 online mode pans out. Could get teamed up with some better players to learn or make you feel a little competent when the team wins, even if you weren't playing that great. Splatoon has that going for it and maybe that's contributed to it's popularity.

Personally, i was attracted to SF2 in the arcades from the creative characters, moves and stages, though i never much played in arcades at first. I played a lot on SNES and thought i was good at it until i got confidence to try playing in arcades/in public, only to get whomped most of the time!

Back then i was in school and had free time to try and get better but these days... Baby, job. It's just not that important to get good. I've remained interested in virtually all fighting games since, just at the basic level of liking the characters, the stages and the moves.

I bought a PS4 for SFV (amongst other things ive ended up playing much more), didn't bother buying into PS plus at all, so can't even get killed online if i wanted too! I played story, practice then challenge when that hit, will play the new modes as they come... Just enjoying bring able to pull off the odd combo in isolation instead of online in a lagfest - seriously to this day can't understand why online is so popular when the experience is so far removed from local. The VF5 devs were right when they initially didn't put online in the 360 version... even now with better connections and netcode. Would rather just play getting to appreciate the new characters, stages, changes to old characters ( i love how dhalsim animates now!) Just having fun!

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
I'm in your exact boat OP. Been playing since 92 and buy them all. But 5 is the first i skipped due to the lack of content and exorbitant price. I've never been good online, ever. I'll eventually buy it when the price matches the game content, but I've held off for now.

If you're a more casual player who likes his offline modes (like me), switch over to Killer Instinct. Far more noob friendly and with constant updates over the last 2 and a half years, there's a lot of single player modes to dig into.

Even if you don't have an Xbox, you can get it on PC.

Every single fighting game for the past 25 years except this one has had a basic Vs CPU or Arcade Mode. Many others have gone above and beyond. It's not a complaint that's come from nowhere. Don't care? That's cool. There are people who do and telling them to go play another genre entirely solves nothing apart from pushing people away from an already-insular community.

The online content sucks for casuals too though.

It's not like other fighting games haven't had good, basic single player content before. Even Capcom games like Rival Schools and Red Earth.
this argument is predicated upon the game's AI being shit
good fighting game AI has been around for over a decade
I know that it sucks for casuals, that's why the goal should be to fix that.

And a lot of good those good game modes did. Rival Schools, Soul Calibur, VF, all of that shit is basically dead. The fact of the matter is if you're looking to have a successful multiplayer focused video game in 2016, the solution is not to double down on single player content but work on monetizing the people that will be continually playing your game. If you don't want to make that, you're better off making another product altogether.

I feel that SP content is an alternative to help beginners get used to the game, instead of just throwing them online. Sometimes, people are satisfied just beating up the CPU and never going against other players.

I know that when I was beginning, I was playing a ton of arcade mode in SF II when another friend of mine couldn't play. Even today in SF V I put a vs CPU scenario to train if I can use a new combo in a "real match".

I think SP content is important especially if you are just starting. For us that are used to the game, we can spend infinite hours into the online and never look back.
I guess it depends on what you mean by SP content. I'm not against basic stuff like challenges (that are actually useful), tutorials, or practicing on the cpu. But once you start getting into stuff like RPG modes and 8 hour long stories, you begin to lose me.

this is like me going into a dark souls thread yelling that they should go play a fighting game instead of doing pvp

they're obviously there because the like dark souls. for whatever reason people were drawn to SF before, there's nothing less legitimate about it. especially if it's based on methods of entertainment that existed in prior games.
It'd be more like going into a Dark Souls thread and telling people to stop complaining about how From needs to work on pvp when the single player is still half-baked at best. SFV is one of the worst examples, but all of these games honestly feel like they're nearly a decade behind in terms of features and the business models they use compared to basically any other multiplayer focused genre. It's 2016 and not only do I have to pay for the next revision of GG Xrd, I have to wait haIf a year later for the privilege of buying it because of fucking arcades of all things. Hell, it's even longer than that if you aren't willing to import. SNK sees how well KoF XIII does on Steam and in other Asian countries outside of Japan, especially China. What's the solution? Well, obviously it's to release a $60 PS4 game and have their only mention of online fuctionality be a half hearted "We're really working on the netcode this time. We promise" like every other dev does. I'd be more receptive to the single player complaints if the other stuff was fine, but it's not.

There is definitely something wrong with matchmaking though. Even if the game only had 3 people playing including you then at most matchmaking should take is 5 min. But right now it takes way more than 5 min at times.

I'd probably play SFV more if it had an arcade mode.

My thing with SFV is that online fighting games don't thrill me. I used to play games like Soul Calibur 2 and Tekken 5 in the arcades; online just isn't the same. Yep, I'm one of those people. I've got plenty of people in my local scene to play SFV and other fighting games with locally, so I typically don't play online very often unless I get a hankerin' for it.

I'm currently Bronze in SFV. Just Bronze. I could probably get to the upper Silver ranks if I really wanted to, but online for fighters just doesn't thrill me.

MrCarter

The one good thing that can come from this is that Capcom can FINALLY (not holding my breath) learn from their mistakes and aim to pour more resources into thier products. It's also great that we only need to buy the base game and that all game updates will be free (unlike GG, Blazblue etc) but they seemed to rely on that concept too much without putting a lot into the game in the first place. Hopefully they can continue to build on the "casual" front as the sales aren't looking too bad and the competitive scene is shaping up to be the biggest in the FGC.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
I understand.

Buy guilty gear Revelator in two weeks. There will be lots of casuals there and it's a great game. It's the closer to SF you'll get, from a casual standpoint.

SFV is almost exclusively composed by people really dedicated to it so it's hard for newcomers.

The casuals gave up the game after a month.

GGxrdR have the best graphics around and a stylish mode for newbies, as well as in depth tutorial and combo showcase. So usually it's better for newcomers to get hooked.

Fantastic first post. GG XrdR is coming during the summer with BBCF coming out at the end of the year. Sorry KOF XIV, but I ain't buying a PS4 for you.

leroidys

I know that it sucks for casuals, that's why the goal should be to fix that.

And a lot of good those good game modes did. Rival Schools, Soul Calibur, VF, all of that shit is basically dead. The fact of the matter is if you're looking to have a successful multiplayer focused video game in 2016, the solution is not to double down on single player content but work on monetizing the people that will be continually playing your game. If you don't want to make that, you're better off making another product altogether.

I guess it depends on what you mean by SP content. I'm not against basic stuff like challenges (that are actually useful), tutorials, or practicing on the cpu. But once you start getting into stuff like RPG modes and 8 hour long stories, you begin to lose me.

It'd be more like going into a Dark Souls thread and telling people to stop complaining about how From needs to work on pvp when the single player is still half-baked at best. SFV is one of the worst examples, but all of these games honestly feel like they're nearly a decade behind in terms of features and the business models they use compared to basically any other multiplayer focused genre. It's 2016 and not only do I have to pay for the next revision of GG Xrd, I have to wait haIf a year later for the privilege of buying it because of fucking arcades of all things. Hell, it's even longer than that if you aren't willing to import. SNK sees how well KoF XIII does on Steam and in other Asian countries outside of Japan, especially China. What's the solution? Well, obviously it's to release a $60 PS4 game and have their only mention of online fuctionality be a half hearted "We're really working on the netcode this time. We promise" like every other dev does. I'd be more receptive to the single player complaints if the other stuff was fine, but it's not.
You're just straw manning everyone in this thread, chill out dude. People are asking for better matchmaking and an arcade mode, not 8 hours of cut scenes.

Top Bottom