• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

As a lifelong (but merely casual) Street Fighter fan, don't feel like I have a place

KennyL

OP that's not just causal opinion man. Infiltration was commentator on Road to Evo 2016 tourney in s.korea yesterday and he straight calling out capcom for being trash (literally "trash" in korean). He feels that tournament players are carrying the SF scene, not capcom. Sf5 fundamental is good but everything else is garbage. Online is shit show, useless for training. Single player garbage, survival mode too damn hard. Vs mode is only thing that's good. He said he can go on and on but gonna hold his tongue ha

OP that's not just causal opinion man. Infiltration was commentator on Road to Evo 2016 tourney in s.korea yesterday and he straight calling out capcom for being trash (literally "trash" in korean). He feels that tournament players are carrying the SF scene, not capcom. Sf5 fundamental is good but everything else is garbage. Online is shit show, useless for training. Single player garbage, survival mode too damn hard. Vs mode is only thing that's good. He said he can go on and on but gonna hold his tongue ha
And he's arguably the best SFV in the world, too.

MrCarter

Capcom is really is it's own worst enemy at times. It's those damn shareholders and Ono's lack of determination to complete a product is what made this game falter sales wise. This game NEEDED to be kept in the oven until May at the very least.

It might be silly for me to post this with the next update coming within three days (because apparently that's when updates for a month come out, at the very end of the month jesus Capcom), but what gets me nowadays is how slowly improvement is coming to the game. I'm well past being surprised that the game was launched incomplete and often broken, but after more than three months I don't understand why the game is still in such a bad state. The store isn't fully up, Fight Money challenges (coming "shortly after launch" IIRC) aren't up, the simple arcade mode that was in demo stations is still absent, the netcode is still fundamentally broken, we still have no access to the stage variations that were in the story mode at launch, and so on.

Sure, we have two new characters, a new stage, and servers kind of work now, but for a game Capcom knew they were releasing unfinished this is an absurdly minimal improvement. At launch I figured at worst we were two months behind from the state the game should have launched in (cinematic story mode excepted), but we're approaching double that amount of time and it's not even close.

SephLuis

I guess it depends on what you mean by SP content. I'm not against basic stuff like challenges (that are actually useful), tutorials, or practicing on the cpu. But once you start getting into stuff like RPG modes and 8 hour long stories, you begin to lose me.

Wouldn't call those obligatory, but those are also nice distractions depending on how it's done.

Guilty Gear has an entertaining story mode that it's a movie.

I played a lot of SFA3 and Soul Calibur 2 RPG modes and ended up learning a few things that helped me in regular fights. I think the RPG element can also work as a great teaching tool since you can create matches with conditions like: no blocking or only combos above x hits give damage, etc. It forces the player to approach a match much differently.

I think with the release of SFV it came into question about how much is the bare minimum of SP content for a fighting game to have and, more importantly, how much SP content would be ideal and which ones are better for teaching.

I hear you, OP.

I tried to dig SF4 (my first SF) in 2014 for a few months. Put a lot of effort and time into it but I just couldn't get past a certain skill level to feel comfortable or at least competent in the slightest. Playing offline against friends was super fun though. But the game just didn't 'click' for me in the long term if that makes any sense. Almost every time I went online I would get bodied. I've had a really hard time with it.

So I sold my Arcade Stick and went to back to my favorite fighter DOA5 on PS4. Played it intensely for about 6 months and had a blast with it online. But the complete lack of offline competition in my country (Germany) not to mention my region has pretty much killed any motivation for me to further improve at this game. Offline competition is just one of the main reasons why I love FG's so much and is therefore essential for me to keep going with a competitive game. It also played a big role in my decision to start with SF, because so many people play it.

Now I'm playing Smash 4 for almost a year. I have about a dozen of people (still growing) in my region to play offline with, most of us gather at least once a month for offline play and the offline community as a whole in this country is thriving. I keep making new friends and I started visiting tournaments a few months ago. And the best: I regularly find myself improving at this game the more I play other people (especially offline).

To make it short, I'm currently having an amazing experience with this game along with its community. My only problems lie with Nintendo and how they treat their competitive Smash fanbase. But that's another topic...

When SF5 came out, I really had to control myself not to fall for it. It looks amazing and seems to be the best SF so far gameplay wise, based on many opinions I've heard / read.

But I think I've found 'my place' with Smash. My social and competitive experience with this one is just too strong to let it go.

I still wish SF5 the best, to grow and to bring more people into the FGC.

As someone who grew up loving fighting games in arcades and on console, I really haven't gotten into one since online competitive modes became standard. Playing with my group of friends in high school was much more satisfying than trying to get good against online competition. I normally just chalk it up to getting older, but I really miss the days where four to six of us would sit around a single tc and try to knock off the guy who was the best of us (but still probably not the greatest).

I came to this same realization last night.

After running a 6:4 win rate for the first couple of months, as a Super Bronze, I began facing Super Silvers and Golds on a regular basis. Now I rarely play against casuals like myself, and instead just get destroyed over and over by the hardcore.

The casuals are gone. I can only hope that arcade and campaign modes bring them back in some capacity.

That's interesting last week I was fighting just bronzes I would occasionally get the silvers but it was mostly super and ultra bronze. I'm in ultra bronze, I should be fighting silvers as well as those in my rank. And I actually hate fighting bronzes because I don't think it's fair for them.

The one good thing that can come from this is that Capcom can FINALLY (not holding my breath) learn from their mistakes and aim to pour more resources into thier products. It's also great that we only need to buy the base game and that all game updates will be free (unlike GG, Blazblue etc) but they seemed to rely on that concept too much without putting a lot into the game in the first place. Hopefully they can continue to build on the "casual" front as the sales aren't looking too bad and the competitive scene is shaping up to be the biggest in the FGC.

agree

if anything, SFV just reiterates how talented the devs are at Capcom, even though they're clearly fighting against a limited budget :(

holy shit!

please tell me there's a video of this!

It might be silly for me to post this with the next update coming within three days (because apparently that's when updates for a month come out, at the very end of the month jesus Capcom), but what gets me nowadays is how slowly improvement is coming to the game. I'm well past being surprised that the game was launched incomplete and often broken, but after more than three months I don't understand why the game is still in such a bad state. The store isn't fully up, Fight Money challenges (coming "shortly after launch" IIRC) aren't up, the simple arcade mode that was in demo stations is still absent, the netcode is still fundamentally broken, we still have no access to the stage variations that were in the story mode at launch, and so on.

Sure, we have two new characters, a new stage, and servers kind of work now, but for a game Capcom knew they were releasing unfinished this is an absurdly minimal improvement. At launch I figured at worst we were two months behind from the state the game should have launched in (cinematic story mode excepted), but we're approaching double that amount of time and it's not even close.

goddamn, this puts things into perspective

Supernatural-Dean.gif

The one good thing that can come from this is that Capcom can FINALLY (not holding my breath) learn from their mistakes and aim to pour more resources into thier products. It's also great that we only need to buy the base game and that all game updates will be free (unlike GG, Blazblue etc) but they seemed to rely on that concept too much without putting a lot into the game in the first place. Hopefully they can continue to build on the "casual" front as the sales aren't looking too bad and the competitive scene is shaping up to be the biggest in the FGC.

By updates do you mean characters and such? Then you mean "can" be free, because I have not been playing enough for all future characters, etc to be free. From the amount of fm you earn, only those playing seriously everyday could afford then all.

The worst of it all is that you just know Capcom will blame everything but themselves. They will blame the market, or that the franchise is tired and will be shelved. Meanwhile Mortal Kombat is thriving and sells like hotcakes with all its content toward the more casual users. Capcom gonna capcom.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Well definitely check it out then... also holding hope for KoF

KoF may be a bit complex with it's hop systems. Guilty Gear is easy to follow outside of the numerous sub systems that you don't need a great grasp on, but a passing knowledge.

Anyway, yeah: SF5's ship has sailed. That character thread has just me going "oh, there's another one coming out? When's ACTUAL SINGLE-PLAYER SHIT coming!?"

KoF may be a bit complex with it's hop systems. Guilty Gear is easy to follow outside of the numerous sub systems that you don't need a great grasp on, but a passing knowledge.

Anyway, yeah: SF5's ship has sailed. That character thread has just me going "oh, there's another one coming out? When's ACTUAL SINGLE-PLAYER SHIT coming!?"

I'm familiar with the hop system at least.... started playing KoF pretty regularly back in '06'/'07

98' UM is still my fav and I never really got a chance to give proper love to XIII

MrCarter

By updates do you mean characters and such? Then you mean "can" be free, because I have not been playing enough for all future characters, etc to be free. From the amount of fm you earn, only those playing seriously everyday could afford then all.

Yes all things that are game related are essentially free. It's up to the individual if they want to grind fight money for the characters or stages and whatnot or they can choose to buy a season pass or buy them from the Zenny Store when it's implemented. Right now the DLC characters are free due to the Zenny store and most likely the daily challenges not being ready. Personally, I would rather play a game that gives you a choice to play and earn free content than having to pay for a slight upgrade like last gen and many other fighters like MKX, GG and Blazblue are doing right now.

Yudoken

There is an easy and awesome solution for Op's problem:

Look for player's which are similar and play on a level that matches you.

That's how I do it and it's awesome to have a friendly rivalry going on.

Pizza

The lack of any single player content is why I have zero interest in SFV tbh.

I'm also a lifelong casual fighting game fan. I'm lucky that my friends and I all feel the same, since I really do enjoy the games. I don't go online on a single fighter, though. But I'll play the fuck out of arcade modes and fight my friends. Smash 4 dropped any sort of actual "arcadey" experience when they switched up the classic modes. I'm pretty much only playing mortal Kombat when I'm alone, which is fine but man is street fighter pretty.

conman

Yeah. SFIV did a good job of bridging niche and casual fans of fighting games. Last gen was actually good for the fighting game community at large in that many long-running series and studios wiped the slate (mostly) clean and opened things up to more players. But that didn't happen with SFV, or any other major series/studio this gen.

It isn't just the lack of single-player that kills it for less "serious" players. It's the sense that it is building so strongly on prior frameworks. The genre needs a restart button in a big way.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I wouldn't be surprised if this is the last Capcom fighting game for a really long time anyway given how little they care about supporting SFV. Casuals and hardcore alike probably should start looking towards other companies for where the future of fighting games lie.

It's a shame too. After SFIV hit they had a real opportunity to expand the genre to casual players, but they squandered it in basically everything they did since.

Is that really an issue with the game or your situation.
The skilled Sf players just play. Sf and maybe 1/2 games on the side. You have to be dedicated. It's alright if your not but i wouldnt fault the game for that. Folks played Sf4 for 7/8 years.

I'm faulting the game because if it had decent offline options it wouldn't be an issue

The online players get what they want and I get what I want

Win win, no?

MrCarter

I wouldn't be surprised if this is the last Capcom fighting game for a really long time anyway given how little they care about supporting SFV. Casuals and hardcore alike probably should start looking towards other companies for where the future of fighting games lie.

It's a shame too. After SFIV hit they had a real opportunity to expand the genre to casual players, but they squandered it in basically everything they did since.

I know things seem a little bad at the moment from a causal perspective but competitively this game is thriving and has boosted the FGC by quite a margin in terms of how many players are actively being involved in tournaments. Did they drop the ball on some things? Absolutely, but that doesn't mean they haven't created one of the best fighting game engines in a long time that is both accessible AND deep at the same time for casual and hardcore players alike - it's just a shame they chose to release a beta product with a focus on the competitive side. Capcom know thier fighting games and are extremely talented in creating great core mechanics for fighters but the management and marketing side leaves a lot to be desired unfortunately.

Renekton

Guilty Gear is harder to follow, and the subsystems are pretty important. A new player will get frame-trapped for years.

Big0Bear

I just sorta chimed in on the SFV character update thread but thought I'd reach out to see if anyone else out there feels this way :(

followed up by...

I'm 33 and I'm playing fools in Japan so I know what you mean. What I found that helps is playing friends online or at home and trying to learn. Biggest problem for me is I don't want to practice anymore. But with the net forums and YouTube I can only blame my losses on me

Csr

If you guys are saying there should be offline modes for people who don't want to be online at all, I can agree. But I don't think that would encourage those players to play online.

If Agent Otaku just wants a single player fighting game, then sf5 is a bad game. But I feel like he was more wanting a way into online play.

edit: I looked back at his post and he really is asking more for stuff to do offline, and in that sense sf5 just drops the ball.

More sp would have attracted more casuals to buy the game and some of them would also play online. It is a 1v1 game so even if a very small portion of the casuals play online it would make a big difference. With more casuals online there would be better matchmaking and people starting out would be less likely to be matched with experienced players.

No one starts as a hardcore experienced player in games, people start casually and then if they like a game enough they become more invested in it. A better value would attract more players and some of them would surely play online.

Klotera

This is exactly me. I remember playing SF1 arcade as a kid and I've owned most of the major SF releases since SF2 for Genesis. Maybe that's why a simple arcade mode is perfectly fine for me. That's how I always had fun with these games. There was no online.

Now, I'm 36 and I simply don't have the time to commit to play at the level needed for online and honestly don't care about online play (the condescending tone from the FGC about this subject reinforces this feeling). I'd love to play SF5 if it had a decent arcade mode. It's the first SF in a long time that I haven't owned or even played. I've given up hope that this will ever have decent offline play. Odds are that, even if they added more offline content, the effort they put in suggests that it would have horrible, cheap AI anyway.

I know that it sucks for casuals, that's why the goal should be to fix that.

And a lot of good those good game modes did. Rival Schools, Soul Calibur, VF, all of that shit is basically dead. The fact of the matter is if you're looking to have a successful multiplayer focused video game in 2016, the solution is not to double down on single player content but work on monetizing the people that will be continually playing your game. If you don't want to make that, you're better off making another product altogether.

This approach worked really well for Street Fighter! Just look at its sell-through going above and beyond Capcom's expectations--oh wait. Well, look at how everything they've promised is up and running on time--wait, the friggin' stores and in-game money systems are at least two months behind schedule.

Well, how about that monthly character update--oh, we're almost at the end of the month and are praying for even an announcement. For the third month in a row.

Street Fighter V sets out to be a successful multiplayer game at the expense of SP and failed at even that. Capcom dropped the ball on an unbelievable scale.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Guilty Gear is harder to follow, and the subsystems are pretty important. A new player will get frame-trapped for years.

Against other players? Sure. Against the AI (which OP seems to want to play?) hardly.

Teknoman

I'll say. I'm a casual fighting fan, really like Guilty Gear's style but get dusted online when coming up against most people.

EDIT: I want to play Killer Instinct PC, but the damn store wont let me download it.

I know things seem a little bad at the moment from a causal perspective but competitively this game is thriving and has boosted the FGC by quite a margin in terms of how many players are actively being involved in tournaments.

Thing is, despite what some FGC elitists would say, the fighting game genre NEEDS casual players to sustain it. The companies need that revenue base provided by casual players to both feel confident in making future titles and to secure dev and marketing budgets to make the game a success both financially and qualitatively. When sales are robust, the genre thrives, and that is good for all types of players.

Focusing a genre on hardcore competitive players never ends well.

SoulUnison

Banned
Sometimes I wish these games did a better job of having some sort of "casual/newbie tier," but then you'd just get asshole abusing the system to pick on less skilled players. Basically, fighting game twinking.

I remember buying Marvel VS Capcom 3 Day 1 because I'd loved 2 back on the Dreamcast and now there was online play, but I just can't keep up with such a fast, chaotic fighter and without anyone on my level to play against it got put on the shelf and forgotten.

FluxWaveZ

Sometimes I wish these games did a better job of having some sort of "casual/newbie tier," but then you'd just get asshole abusing the system to pick on less skilled players. Basically, fighting game twinking.

It doesn't need to segregate things like that for it to really work.

1. If an FG was popular enough online (e.g. Smash 4), the developers would be able to implement proper skill stratification regarding matching people up. StarCraft II is a 1v1 game that is perfect at this. You wait for a relatively small amount of time to be matched with someone who is right in your ballpark in terms of skill level, and the matches themselves reflect that. Once your hidden ratings are settled through a low amount of matches, the game will know the kinds of players to match you up against so it's never one-sided, and this is something that would be revolutionary for fighting games online.

2. The proper tools given to players so that they can find others in their skill rank on their own. Persona 4 Arena Ultimax had an arcade lobby system divided by rooms where the avatars of players could meet, chat, sit on virtual cabinets and face each other. These lobbies were labeled (some for beginners, others for advanced players, etc.). Again, if a playerbase is large enough, this would be a great way to just find yourself in a lobby with a bunch of beginner level players to fight. This would also alleviate the situation where advanced players would assimilate among beginner groups to just trash them.

There are a ton of solutions that can be implemented for this, but it just isn't happening. Either the fighting games are popular enough (e.g. SFV and SSB4) but the companies manage to fuck up the online element in some way, or the match-making element is decent enough, but the games aren't popular enough for them to actually work as they should (e.g. Persona 4 Arena Ultimax and BlazBlue: Chronophantasma).

This is why I'm hoping Riot Games actually acquired Radiant Entertainment to develop their own fighting game, and that they proceed to show everyone how it's done.

RedSwirl

Many people don't play fighting games to be "competitive" and they don't want to "git gud". They just want to fire up SF or Tekken and release some stress. They don't want to be pounded into the ground over and over by people who pour over combo charts and YT vids, or some guy who exploits cheap moves or bad netcode. They just want to play against the AI (or against their friends on the couch) and have fun for an hour.

This is pretty much the crux of it. It's like the difference between guys playing football in their backyards or in the park every weekend, and the NFL. Those guys may even watch the NFL on TV, but they're never going to be in it. This is a fundamental problem I've seen with most online PvP games -- the matchmaking always puts everyone into the same pool. As I said earlier, it's not even about differences in skill, but differences in dedication and level of interest. Everyone who plays a game or sport shouldn't be expected to compete at pro level. Plain and simple.

Maybe non-ranked matches is a solution. Maybe Smash 4's division between "for fun" and "for glory" is a solution. Maybe more games should go back to server browsers, private dedicated servers, and private lobbies.

I will just never understand this call for more single player content in these games. If you want to just "release stress" for an hour or so, why wouldn't you go play something that's actually good instead of a dumbed down action game, playing a bunch of garbage mini-games, or reading a terrible visual novel?

That has nothing to do with "gitting gud" either. I can understand people who don't want to take the game too seriously having a problem staying engaged online since every fighting game dev has been truly incompetent on that front. But none of the solutions to that problem involve more single player content. If the very notion of playing with other humans is a problem, just go play something else.

People buy and play video games for different reasons. Sometimes a lot of people buy one game for different reasons.

I feel like this also get's at the arguments that come up whenever a $60 game comes out that's SP-only or MP-only. You have a lot of people who only care about PvP video games, and also a lot of people who don't give a single fuck about PvP video games. The trick is that many of them may still enjoy the base mechanics of the same genre or same game or whatever. There are a lot of people who over the decades have enjoyed fighting games for pretty much every reason except the PvP.

Fighting games in general have actually gotten pretty robust with SP content in recent years. It's really just been Capcom that doesn't do any. The difference is starting to manifest in SFV's sales. Actually, the same thing happened to Soul Calibur V: the base fighting engine was hailed by the hardcore, but a lot of other people slammed it because there was little to do in the game outside online compared to previous entries. Soul Calibur is the game that in some ways started the trend of stuffing home versions of fighting games with tons of SP content.

gelf

Single player content would actually put me in the online player pool as well. In SF4 much of my time was spent playing arcade mode with fight request on. I'm still waiting to be able to do the same before I get SF5.

Single player content would actually put me in the online player pool as well. In SF4 much of my time was spent playing arcade mode with fight request on. I'm still waiting to be able to do the same before I get SF5.

didn't realize how much I missed this until you mentioned it :(

Burai

shitonmychest57
I'm in the same boat. I have two choices; 1) Git good or, 2) Spend time with my kids. And that's a no-brainer.

Ironically I still play USFIV with my daughter because she prefers the variety of female characters and costumes. She can't understand how SFV could be "better" because there's less content so she never wants to play it.

Onemic

Once again, Capcom didnt make SF5 for the FGC. They just didnt make a complete game period. Online has been up down since launch, many things that other FGs do to promote the competitive community are completely absent in SF5, not to mention certain online features in SF4 were removed for SF5 during its initial launch.

Just because a lot of the content that was lacking was SP related doesnt mean they catered this toward the competitive community, otherwise we'd see far more features/options within the multiplayer component vs SF4. No one was happy with how SF5 launched, casual or FGC. This isnt like Quake 2 to Quake 3, It's like Quake 2...to Quake 2 minus the SP campaign.

Raitaro

This thread seems made for me. Thank you for bringing it up OP and apologies up front for rambling about what has been weighing on my mind since V's release.

I'm the type of SF fan who watches tournaments, checks the internet multiple times a day for news, enjoys lore discussions about forgotten characters, collects art books and who buys the games day 1 to help keep the IP alive. I'm also the type of fan who then fires up the game to exclusively play single player content as that is what SF has been for me since the days of II, and since human competition is simply too stressful for me due to how it forces you to break down characters into hitboxes, effective combos and other things that for me take away some of the magic from these games. V I have barely touched so far despite being as interested in it as ever.

There seems to be some (Capcom driven I suspect) common misconception going around that fighting games need to be played against other people. As if every other thing you do in them only functions as training for that. For someone like me who grew up without arcades, playing SFII meant fighting the CPU in Arcade mode. Ocassionally I'd fight someone else for shits and giggles but that was more to train with characters in order to fight better against the CPU - not the other way around. For me, there was a reason that Arcade was the first menu option and not Versus in other words.

After II and its multiple SNES versions, I also played Alpha 2 on SNES along with MK and KI, played III on Dreamcast along with Marvel 1 and 2, and played many other 2D and 3D fighting games on PSX, PS2 etc. I played all of these primarily as single player experiences; rarely did I have someone else to play against and I did not really miss it. This lasted up till IV, which despite the increased online focus still was quite fully featured offline as well.

Even after trying the beta for V and being a bit surprised by the FGC focused marketing campaign I still had not considered that the beta's Arcade mode missing menu would reflect the final build of the game. The beta was a network test so how could I have guessed - going with my lifelong single player console perspective on SF that was time and time again re-affirmed by Capcom as a legit way to play up till now - that they really would not include what for me has been the way to play SF? I was even more baffled to hear them come out afterwards and say that they were surprised to hear that so many people missed such modes - how could they be surprised by this if these games for years had Arcade mode right smack at the top of their menus?! Not every SF fan is an American or Japanese fan who grew up in arcades of the 90's with their quarters ready in hand Capcom!

I think there are a lot of people like me that Capcom is currentlty not catering to, people who enjoy playing fighting games offline against the CPU because that is how they got used to them and because that is what feels like the core game to them. I'm not saying that playing against humans is not rewarding or perhaps even more valuable, but it shouldn't simply become the only real way to play imo.

For me a Ryu versus Dhalsim match is still a thing to feel childlike glee about in the sense that you get to see a Karate man who can shoot fireballs fight a stretchy Yogi who can teleport. Human competition tends to reduce this experience to hitboxes, hurtboxes, overheads, footsies, combos and tier lists and such, which to me is less interesting as it breaks down these characters with abilities and personalities into sets of effective and non-effective tools. Fighting the CPU does this less strongly for me (apart from having to cheese higher level bosses and such perhaps).

Capcom should imo not join in on this (behind-the-scenes, overly effectiveness driven) multiplayer view on the game exclusively I feel. Sure I can to a degree enjoy this way of breaking down the game by proxy when I watch tournaments but it's not how I play and enjoy these games (which is to try and make use of all the moves of a character for instance simply because I enjoy seeing them, and as such not to stick to the few most effective ones).

I can only hope SFV will get some of the things I care about otherwise I have less and less reasons to keep supporting this series for myself and for others who do enjoy high level human matches. For me, things like stages, stage transitions, single player modes, things to unlock through single player modes (preferably not like in Survival!), overall polish and some story content go a long way to make me feel invested in the long run while I play against the CPU and while I enjoy watching others play the game on a competitve level. I'll keep my fingers crossed for now.

Edit: another way to say what I mean is that I wish Capcom would not ignore the side of SF that is like old and new Doom: enjoyable single player content versus the CPU that - if designed well - provides its own kind of rewarding experience without taking away modes from those that do prefer to play against other people.

Dremark

Banned
This is why I'm hoping Riot Games actually acquired Radiant Entertainment to develop their own fighting game, and that they proceed to show everyone how it's done.

Maybe it's because it's matching 10 players but Riot's matchmaking honestly seems kind of terrible. Most games I play have 1 or 2 players who are way more skilled than the others and dominate the game entirely.

This actually seems to have gotten worse due to dynamic queue as well. The ranking resets they do every season also throws things out of whack by dropping players artificially so you get ex-plat/gold players in Bronze/Silver games until they rank back up.

If they do a 1v1 game I hope it functions a lot better in match making but I won't set my expectations high.

Marvel

could never
I play fighters a lot, new to the genre I've only been playing 2 years. Can't reccommend KI enough for casuals if you're frustrated by SFV. Or MKX.

Pachael

I understand - although I really like VF4 Evo ever since then I realise my skill level is too low to 'git gud' and would rather fool around with VF offline Quest. Gravitated towards Tekken for that reason (and to a lesser amount Smash).

Yes all things that are game related are essentially free. It's up to the individual if they want to grind fight money for the characters or stages and whatnot or they can choose to buy a season pass or buy them from the Zenny Store when it's implemented. Right now the DLC characters are free due to the Zenny store and most likely the daily challenges not being ready. Personally, I would rather play a game that gives you a choice to play and earn free content than having to pay for a slight upgrade like last gen and many other fighters like MKX, GG and Blazblue are doing right now.

Gotcha, essentially free is different from free though haha. The way you worded it, I thought maybe there was something I missed. Honestly, I would still choose the latter games you mentioned because they had a lot more content from the get-go, but I'll say SFV is my favorite mechanically. I'll also echo that while the DLC characters being available for free right now is great, the fact that they are being because the systems Capcom wanted to implement are busted is unfortunate and telling of how they handled this game from the get-go.

I've been away from the game for the last couple months, figuring I'd check gaming side and finally see the thread that says a lot of the matchmaking problems would be fixed, the connections would be more solid, and more interesting single-player content would finally be added.

Instead I found this thread.

goddammit

This thread seems made for me. Thank you for bringing it up OP and apologies up front for rambling about what has been weighing on my mind since V's release.

I'm the type of SF fan who watches tournaments, checks the internet multiple times a day for news, enjoys lore discussions about forgotten characters, collects art books and who buys the games day 1 to help keep the IP alive. I'm also the type of fan who then fires up the game to exclusively play single player content as that is what SF has been for me since the days of II, and since human competition is simply too stressful for me due to how it forces you to break down characters into hitboxes, effective combos and other things that for me take away some of the magic from these games. V I have barely touched so far despite being as interested in it as ever.

There seems to be some (Capcom driven I suspect) common misconception going around that fighting games need to be played against other people. As if every other thing you do in them only functions as training for that. For someone like me who grew up without arcades, playing SFII meant fighting the CPU in Arcade mode. Ocassionally I'd fight someone else for shits and giggles but that was more to train with characters in order to fight better against the CPU - not the other way around. For me, there was a reason that Arcade was the first menu option and not Versus in other words.

After II and its multiple SNES versions, I also played Alpha 2 on SNES along with MK and KI, played III on Dreamcast along with Marvel 1 and 2, and played many other 2D and 3D fighting games on PSX, PS2 etc. I played all of these primarily as single player experiences; rarely did I have someone else to play against and I did not really miss it. This lasted up till IV, which despite the increased online focus still was quite fully featured offline as well.

Even after trying the beta for V and being a bit surprised by the FGC focused marketing campaign I still had not considered that the beta's Arcade mode missing menu would reflect the final build of the game. The beta was a network test so how could I have guessed - going with my lifelong single player console perspective on SF that was time and time again re-affirmed by Capcom as a legit way to play up till now - that they really would not include what for me has been the way to play SF? I was even more surprised to hear them come out afterwards and say that they were surprised to hear that so many people missed such modes - how could they be surprised by this if these games for years had Arcade mode right smack at the top of their menus?! Not every SF fan is an American or Japanese fan who grew up in arcades of the 90's Capcom with their quarters ready in hand!

I think there are a lot of people like me that Capcom is currentlty not catering to, people who enjoy playing fighting games offline against the CPU because that is how they got used to them and because that is what feels like the core game to them. I'm not saying that playing against humans is not rewarding or perhaps even more valuable, but we shouldn't simply state that that is the only real way to play imo.

For me a Ryu versus Dhalsim match is still a thing to feel childlike glee about in the sense that you get to see a Karate man who can shoot fireballs fight a stretchy Yogi who can teleport. Human competition tends to reduce this experience to hitboxes, hurtboxes, overheads, footsies, combos and tier lists and such, which to me is less interesting as it breaks down these characters with abilities and personalities into sets of effective and non-effective tools. Fighting the CPU does this less strongly for me (apart from having to cheese higher level bosses and such perhaps).

Capcom should imo not join in on this (behind-the-scenes, overly effectiveness driven) multiplayer view on the game exclusively I feel. Sure I can to a degree enjoy this way of breaking down the game by proxy when I watch tournaments but it's not how I play and enjoy these games (which is to try and make use of all the moves of a character for instance simply because I enjoy seeing them, and as such not to stick to the few most effective ones).

I can only hope SFV will get some of the things I care about otherwise I have less and less reasons to keep supporting this series for myself and for others who do enjoy high level human matches. For me, things like stages, stage transitions, single player modes, things to unlock through single player modes (preferablty not like in Survival!), overall polish and some story content go a long way to make me feel invested in the long run while I play against the CPU and while I enjoy watching others play the game on a competitve level. I'll keep my fingers crossed for now.

Edit: another way to say what I mean is that I wish Capcom would not ignore the side of SF that is like old and new Doom: enjoyable single player content versus the CPU that - if designed well - provides its own kind of rewarding experience without taking away modes from those that do prefer to play against other people.

Great post :)

Uhhh Guilty Gear is not a casual franchise. Most people out of forums like this have never even heard of it...

Guilty Gear has plenty of casual content on offer. Sure, it's actual systems that might be utilized competitively is deep and very difficult to master, but there's plenty for casuals to do in the games, too. Almost the entire XX/X2 series had story modes with branching paths dictated by match turnouts at key points in the story, they have the beat-em-up modes and the coin-collecting modes, all of the standard arcade, survival, etc modes...

Xrd: SIGN went purely cinematic with the story mode with no branching paths... I still thought the story was entertaining but do lament that they took out the branching paths from some of the earlier XX/X2 games.

That said, still looking forward to Revelator a lot. I'm not a great competitive player in any fighting games myself and Guilty Gear is still my favorite.

LeleSocho

Banned
Yes i understand perfectly what are you feeling and i totally agree.
I've been blessed with good patience regarding fighting game so getting perfected 10 times in a row doesn't particularly bother me but it still rubs me the wrong way that people less prone to learn combo, hitboxes, priorities and the likes cannot enjoy this game... especially because historically the franchise was never restricted to those type of players, if it had been like this since the beginning then i would have understood but in the past non-FGC players could always have fun against the cpu of various levels.

As i said i'm not particularly bothered with losing times and times again online (i think my W/L ratio in SF4 in like 1/30~) but for the reasons listed above i decided to not buy the game for now and will do so only with a cheap complete edition (or dash super turbo gold whatever they are going to call it) if they prove that they understood and fixed those problems along with having more content.

Good Topic.

You guys don't have a place anymore. Capcom doesn't care or want your support. They want to create a small group of competitive minded players that will buy ever stupid costume, color pack, stage & DLC character without question. If your not someone who will be a constant source of revenue for them they don't care. What good is the guy who just buys the game at launch for $60? They wan the guy who spends $500 on the game over the course of a few years.

Dremark

Banned
Good Topic.

You guys don't have a place anymore. Capcom doesn't care or want your support. They want to create a small group of competitive minded players that will buy ever stupid costume, color pack, stage & DLC character without question. If your not someone who will be a constant source of revenue for them they don't care. What good is the guy who just buys the game at launch for $60? They wan the guy who spends $500 on the game over the course of a few years.

If this was actually true why did the game design focus so heavily on making the game accessible to newer players?

The game was rushed to market and wasn't ready to come out. I understand that people are upset over it (and admittedly if you dropped $60 on a game you can't enjoy yet I don't blame you on being upset over it) but this conclusion really doesn't make a lot of sense.

Pretty much nothing was ready at launch and even the high end competitive players couldn't play the game when it came out unless they had someone in the same room as them. The launch was such a disaster you still can't buy the skins/etc you claim they are focusing on selling.

Not everything has some sort of discriminatory objective to it, they launched the game too early, likely do to financials and they for some reason thought the crappy survival mode was an acceptable replacement for arcade mode.

Top Bottom