• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

As a Sony fan I can safely say Xbox have handled the marketing for this Gen so much better thus far.

sircaw

Banned
From a Sony perspective

So far from release and games still to be shown, console to be revealed etc

I think they are more than happy with the way things are playing out.

People are talking about ps5 all the time and besides a tech demo they have showed nothing.

turtlepowa

Banned
And by not instantly revealing the plastic they managed to keep gamer's & the media's attention by having them wonder what said plastic would look like. It's the sheer genius of their marketing. The worst thing they should have done is cold drop it without any fanfare, like MS did.

They are but Sony are also winning on that front because MS have taken the disastrous position that they won't be making next gen exclusive games, and Sony are already known for dominating with their first party support. You look at the showcase MS did and no one was impressed, then Epic just ran a UE5 tech demo on PS5 and everyone was blown away, it was the talk of the town.

Actually brand recognition plays a massive role and here Sony also as the advantage.
You are overestimating the internet compered to all players . 80% of the gamers are casuals and they don't give a shit about Sonys 3rd person action adventures or Halo/Forza or marketing and presentations. They just want their FIFA/Madden/BF/COD and and they want it as cheap as possible.

If brand recognition was that important, Sony wouldn't have lost half it's user base from PS2 to PS3.

Both at the same price = Sony wins clearly, because of pc ports/game pass/xcloud.. MS with a better price = It will be closer.

quest

Not Banned from OT
But nowhere did they say it couldn’t be done on Series x
Again it does not matter its the headlines using what epic said. The narrative is all matters. Its beautiful what epic said just enough to cut Microsofts legs off with out it being actionable in court. This was awesome to be honest it probably created a Sony monopoly but damn it was well thought out. Give reporters just enough for click bait.

trikster40

Sorry, what?

And that has to do with gaming? How?

I didnt dont stop gaming because someone in my town centre got stabbed for no reason last week, did you?

These two things have got absolutely fucking nothing in relation to each other. Stop talking bollocks.

The OP posted within hours of the announcement of the PS5 postponement, and now Sony’s marketing is horrible? His post was a reaction to the postponement of their event. If the event had not been postponed, this thread wouldn’t even exist.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Again it does not matter its the headlines using what epic said. The narrative is all matters. Its beautiful what epic said just enough to cut Microsofts legs off with out it being actionable in court. This was awesome to be honest it probably created a Sony monopoly but damn it was well thought out. Give reporters just enough for click bait.

Did your miss the bit where he said it would run awesome on today’s PC’s to and that HDD would be where it would be downgraded. Also never said it wouldn’t run on Series X either

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
It's pretty obvious that both companies have had to readjust their marketing plans, because this year has been an absolute disaster in ways that nobody could have anticipated.

I wouldn't accuse either "side" of fucking up. We're living in strange times.

I would say that Xbox were quicker out the gate this time though. They clearly have confidence in the new console they've built. They were quick to get out there & start showing the thing off. This was before anything happened to put society on hold damn near worldwide.

But let's be honest. PlayStation have the bigger fanbase & marketshare. When they eventually get around to doing their reveal, it's going to generate more hype. It is what it is.

pasterpl

I dont like Sony decision but I kind of understand it. USA is worlds biggest economy and what is currently happening in there (+COVID) have a global impact. In addition, ps5 reveal would be lost with so many other news coming from USA and customers in USA might not notice it.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
When you're SONY and you're dominating now with the PS4 but yes I agree with OP I think SONY's delays will get taken the wrong way, 2020 NEEDS the PS5 to save it.

REE Machine

Banned
Because they have to they are last place, they need more mindshare not sony, sony gets the worlds attention with a tweet or instagram post from a logo or controller.

Relativ9

I'm not saying Postponing it was a bad decision as I fully believe in the riots and protests and stand for getting justice for George Floyd. But Sony don't care about that one bit, they're doing that to save face in the PR department and as they know they won't get as many views during this time. It's a selfish business decision wrapped up as a humane action for the better of society.

Not to derail this into a political thread, and I agree that Sony probably didn't have much choice than to postpone the event (though I don't think they should've given a virtue signaling reason when clearly marketing metrics were the prime motivation). But you believe in the riots? Really? If that's what you believe that's fine with me and I wouldn't want to censor your speech, but I'd be careful; I'm pretty sure this forum has rules against advocating for violence and criminal activity targeting innocent people.

Last edited:

DonJorginho

Banned
Not to derail this into a political thread, and I agree that Sony probably didn't have much choice than to postpone the event (though I don't think they should've given a virtue signaling reason when clearly marketing metrics were the prime motivation). But you believe in the riots? Really? If that's what you believe that's fine with me and I wouldn't want to censor your speech, but I'd be careful; I'm pretty sure this forum has rules against advocating for violence and criminal activity targeting innocent people.
I do support the riots but not the violence they bring to innocent people if that makes sense? I think the police have been shocking and mostly have started the fights that have ensued, with them needlessly throwing tear gas and firing their very lethal rubber bullets at people's faces for no reason.

I believe in retaliation against those police officers but not any death or any harm to innocent people and businesses.

From a Sony perspective

So far from release and games still to be shown, console to be revealed etc

I think they are more than happy with the way things are playing out.

People are talking about ps5 all the time and besides a tech demo they have showed nothing.

In an age of information overload, being able to keep things secret is more sexy than stripping it all in the first night. :)

Last edited:

Relativ9

I do support the riots but not the violence they bring to innocent people if that makes sense? I think the police have been shocking and mostly have started the fights that have ensued, with them needlessly throwing tear gas and firing their very lethal rubber bullets at people's faces for no reason.

I believe in retaliation against those police officers but not any death or any harm to innocent people and businesses.

I think I understand, I'm not from the US or Black so I won't pretend to understand the mood that's there now. But I think it's an incredibly dangerous notion to normalize and support rioting activities, peaceful protest yes, but it's naive to think that if the police fires a rubber bullet at you the smart thing do to is throw a Molotov back...that's how you get them to start firing with real bullets...and they've got armored vehicles, fully automatic weapons, and ballistic shields. Don't think that mob-mentality is only on one side either, you can get a perfectly nice police officer that isn't at all a racist to straight up execute people in the streets if you push an "us vs them" narrative far enough and make them feel threatened enough. For proof see literally any violent revolution in history.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
Hype for Xbox has essentially stalled. I think MS strategy was based on the hope of escalating interest for their console, but that hasn’t happened.

Geki-D

Banned
The OP posted within hours of the announcement of the PS5 postponement, and now Sony’s marketing is horrible? His post was a reaction to the postponement of their event. If the event had not been postponed, this thread wouldn’t even exist.
Same mentality as the people who write, like, Yelp reviews of restaurants that say: "Food and service was great but there was a water stain on my spoon. 1 out 5 stars." If I've learned anything from all of this salt over the event delay, it's that GAF sure is filled with a lot of Karens.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
That's more in spite of the shit marketing than anything else. The brand is very strong but that ground work was laid long ago with many well made and popular games and promises delivered.

The marketing department has been a disaster for the last year at the least.

I think it's also due to the fact that Sony fans are so desperate for info, ANY info on the PS5.

You're not wrong. But given the state of the world being in crazy town globalized pandemic and depression mode it might benefit both companies to push back until holiday 2021. I couldn't care less. My multi system back log would stack to the moon and back so I'm not going to be hurting for games personally. Normally I'm salivating for shiny new hardware but 2020 is a disaster. Not sure this is going to go well for either console initially.

Let me say that I have never seen a bad unveils for a new console like what MS did with the Xbox Serie X reveal show. Zero hype for a revelation that no one was prepared for, so the surprise was not as big as they hoped for.
And leave apart the choosen name which is bad as what Nintendo did with WiiU.

Hostile_18

Banned
Never has a company I had so much love for worked so hard to piss me off 😂

Those exclusive games are so good but god damn it I'm right on the tipping point of going X Box next gen.

Bryank75

Banned
Never has a company I had so much love for worked so hard to piss me off 😂

Those exclusive games are so good but god damn it I'm right on the tipping point of going X Box next gen.

vgvYg2g.gif

I don't think Sony has necessarily handled it worse, but they're playing their position of strength to their audience and it works. Sony have played the perfect generation.

Microsoft has had no choice but to yell shit from the rooftops since November last year. They had no choice. The XB1 fell flat, so they had to announce something. However I do appreciate the amount of information they have given out. But.... I think it was way too soon. But MS has always been a lot of talk as well, the games are coming, just wait. They've said this for years and it almost feels like its all they've got.

They should've waited until this year tbh, they're losing steam because there's no reason to be curious about the console any more, we pretty much know all the major details apart from games.

As much as I appreciate how much MS have tried with their communication, it doesn't feel as impactful as when Sony has talked about anything really. And MS just love to jump on the conversation to get some spotlight on them, we do UE5 too! We believe in generations! No downclocking! Some of their Twitter PR is absolute nonsense to be honest.

TLDR

I feel Sony have far more impact and keep the conversation on themselves far longer with their trickle of information. Plus, everyone but Sony has done the "marketing" for them, which I think has been a smart move so far.

How can average joe get excited for ps5 though if they don’t have an info?
they don’t even know how the thing looks like. Only controller and logo.
It’s hard to get excited.
My fucking aunt knows a PS5 and Xbox Series X is coming. It's called Word of Mouth. Read about it.

This isn't a "world wide protest" just because some wierdos in other countries than the US jump on the bandwagon. Have you seen those "protestors" from other countries? They're mostly left wing extremists. Are you that excited about neonazi and islamist "protestors", too?
Mate, 2020 has been a shitshow so far and no one obviously planned for it.

Sony's plans changed as did MS and many other companies because of the horror show of this year so far.

These plans can include marketing, production schedules and everything else in between. I simply pointed out the fact that because of the tragedies happening so far, the strategies for these companies had to have changed and could be the reason for Sony being quiet.
There were rumours that Sony planned to have events earlier in the year but Covid19 scuppered those plans. Its not rocket science. Everything got thrown off course with most major corporations. Maybe a few were better prepared for the pandemic.

You can add to the pile that Sony's had major PS4 releases happening in this time period as well such as Ghosts of Tushima and Last of Us 2.

People who just throw around Sony's marketing is shit regarding PS5 probably didn't take all this into consideration.

Last edited:

Fbh

In the end all that matters is who hyped up their machine better by the time it's available to purchase.
If a week before release Sony has an amazing presentation that does a great job selling their system and making it seem better than Series X then I'm still getting a Ps5.

I mean not really since I probably won't be able to afford either of them. But you know, in theory

iorek21

Yes, MS is marketing Xbox way better than Sony is marketing PS5, but it isn’t really a big deal, and at the end of the day, it’s all talk.

What I really want is that both consoles deliver great games and innovation

Op completely clueless. Sony is still fully supporting their current console with two mor big exclusives, this is all the marketing they need. It’s basically saying buy a new console and you will continue to see games like this.

where are Xbox games this year? When was the last time they released a big aaa exclusive?Gears5?

That aside both consoles have been drip feeding and promoting - series x had had that’s shit show of games and mixed messages saying the do and don’t believe in generations. They’ve also had Phil tell The community they just don’t understand the powaaa.

if anyone is fucking it up, it’s Xbox.
Pretty much this.

Thank you.

As i said before, these threads are very low effort with no thought given before hitting the post button.

mcjmetroid

I don't agree. There is an air of mystique about the ps5. People are gagging for news about it.

I'm probably going to get the series X but I truly do believe Sony have it in the bag. You're overthinking it I believe.

The best case scenario for next gen is both consoles split 50 50 in sales.

I don't agree. There is an air of mystique about the ps5. People are gagging for news about it.

Sometimes it pays to not blow your load early. People are extremely excited for the reveal because they haven't seen the games or the console yet.

This mystery around the console is helping attract alot of attention to it.

You people are fucking weird.

Everyone on this forum are so thirsty for info that Sony have you wrapped around their little finger. One tweet that even sounds like it's related to the PS5 will spawn half a dozen threads and add another 20 pages to the next-gen megathread. That's called brand presence. Sony don't need to say anything because everyone on the internet is already frothing at the mouth for the PS5. If online nobody cared, no threads were made, no tweets were liked, then you can bet your ass Sony would be more proactive. Right now they don't need to do shit, the hypetrain is fueling itself.

And you know what's funny. If Sony started gushing all the info about the PS5. Games, hardware, software etc. straight away. When we get to the big old launch event, I guarantee that every one of you fucks who are out here with the bizarre concern trolling, would be the first to start complaining that all the stuff being shown is old news from previous reveals and there is nothing new to get hyped about.
You know I'm right about this. You want both a constant drip feed of information and you also want major key notes and events to have brand new trailers/footage/gameplay in one big orgasmic event.
Well unfortunately that isn't practical. Its one or the other, there's only so much content around.
And let's be honest it's much smarter to hold all your cards close to your chest and blow everyone with an event that people will remember for years, than to drip feed information in small chunks that will quickly be forgotten.

Bryank75

Banned

Everyone on this forum are so thirsty for info that Sony have you wrapped around their little finger. One tweet that even sounds like it's related to the PS5 will spawn half a dozen threads and add another 20 pages to the next-gen megathread. That's called brand presence. Sony don't need to say anything because everyone on the internet is already frothing at the mouth for the PS5. If online nobody cared, no threads were made, no tweets were liked, then you can bet your ass Sony would be more proactive. Right now they don't need to do shit, the hypetrain is fueling itself.

And you know what's funny. If Sony started gushing all the info about the PS5. Games, hardware, software etc. straight away. When we get to the big old launch event, I guarantee that every one of you fucks who are out here with the bizarre concern trolling, would be the first to start complaining that all the stuff being shown is old news from previous reveals and there is nothing new to get hyped about.
You know I'm right about this. You want both a constant drip feed of information and you also want major key notes and events to have brand new trailers/footage/gameplay in one big orgasmic event.
Well unfortunately that isn't practical. Its one or the other, there's only so much content around.
And let's be honest it's much smarter to hold all your cards close to your chest and blow everyone with an event that people will remember for years, than to drip feed information in small chunks that will quickly be forgotten.
Hey! I've always been wrapped their little finger.

DonJorginho

Banned

I personally want no drip feed.

Give me everything I need to know, and offer me a pre-order slot after and I'll make my decision.

Neolombax

I don't really care about the marketing for consoles honestly, or electronic gadgets in general. I usually tend to do my own research about the item and come to a conclusion on my own.

That said, in terms of marketing to the general public who has less intentions of scrutinizing a product, I think its fine for now. Sony still have some ways to go until a release. With the general climate of the world being in a pandemic amongst other arising crisis around the globe, I think its fine for them to slowly dish out the console marketing. They already have the hardcore audience abuzz and talking about it. They also seem to be releasing moderately paced bits of information about the PS5, that seemed to have kept people talking about it constantly enough. Any more marketing would probably be for the benefit of more casual audiences, of which has less impact now, my guess is.

Isa

I personally want no drip feed.

Give me everything I need to know, and offer me a pre-order slot after and I'll make my decision.

I totally agree. I wish they'd treat me like a mature adult, not some kid waiting around for a surprise or Christmas.

While I know both are engaging in various forms of hype building and info delivery, I prefer the way MS has gone about it so far. Though I am really excited for Sony's game reveals. Seriously, I've been there for every PlayStation, its not my first rodeo. Why should investors get all the special treatment? We're investing as well into what is hopefully a worthy successor. Fill us in on the details, if it sounds good I'll bite. Day 1.

T_LVPL

I can’t put marketing into a PS5 and play it but i can put TLoU part 3 and FF7-2 in and play them plus continue adding to my PSN score which is what it comes down to for me, and the majority of others.

Xbox Live had the most toxic community i’ve encountered online back when i impulse bought an xbox slim in 2010 to see what the fuss was. never again. lowest common denominator, western gaming for low class people who like screaming the N word safe in their bedroom with no reprisal.

Last edited:
Microsoft has been just as quite about everything as well aside from a bunch of tweets saying how powerful their machine is.

Up until the announcement, Sony was doing everything right.

I get that this is a knee jerk reaction to the postponement, but turn on the news and realize there’s more going on in the world than gaming right now.
Do you really think that? We knew what the Xbox SX looked like last year, how the innards looked earlier this year, and game studio acquisitions. Not a fair statement to make make.

For me, Sony has no reason to have a knee jerk unveiling of the PS5 just because Microsoft jumped out early, when if you look back, the PS5 was revealed in the month of June.

sendit

I can’t put marketing into a PS5 and play it but i can put TLoU part 3 and FF7-2 in and play them plus continue adding to my PSN score which is what it comes down to for me, and the majority of others.

Xbox Live had the most toxic community i’ve encountered online back when i impulse bought an xbox slim in 2010 to see what the fuss was. never again. lowest common denominator, western gaming for low class people who like screaming the N word safe in their bedroom with no reprisal.

This is every online community that has any competitive factor. Can't fault the service for this.

Do you really think that? We knew what the Xbox SX looked like last year, how the innards looked earlier this year, and game studio acquisitions. Not a fair statement to make make.

For me, Sony has no reason to have a knee jerk unveiling of the PS5 just because Microsoft jumped out early, when if you look back, the PS5 was revealed in the month of June.
PS4. My mistake.

trikster40

Aside from the look of the console, specs, and a few snippets of games, what else do we really know about the XSX? Microsoft is holding just as many cards to their chest as Sony.

Are they changing their controller? What’s the UI look like? Price? Release date?

We’ve seen games running on actual PS5 hardware. We know specs. Aside from the look, we know just as much about the PS5 as the XSX.

Aside from the look of the console, specs, and a few snippets of games, what else do we really know about the XSX? Microsoft is holding just as many cards to their chest as Sony.

Are they changing their controller? What’s the UI look like? Price? Release date?

We’ve seen games running on actual PS5 hardware. We know specs. Aside from the look, we know just as much about the PS5 as the XSX.
You know Microsoft has been more transparent in this leading up to the release the consoles.

oldergamer

What games have you seen running on actual PS5 hardware? You haven't seen a single one.

Mass Shift

It's been a very awkward year with many stops in the parade for the next gen.

Right now, I'll be satisfied if I can grab one of these machimes by year's end.

oldergamer

Godfalll was. The UE5 demo was.
Godfall wasn't PS5 footage. The reveal trailer was on PC. Unreal 5 tech demo is NOT a game. Its a tech demo. You'd have to be a bit delusional to think you have seen any PS5 games at this point when not a single one has been shown.

trikster40

Godfall wasn't PS5 footage. The reveal trailer was on PC. Unreal 5 tech demo is NOT a game. Its a tech demo. You'd have to be a bit delusional to think you have seen any PS5 games at this point when not a single one has been shown.

Sorry, you’re right. The trailer for Godfall said “in-engine footage”, got confused. I thought I remembered Geoff keighkey saying it was running on PS5, but the dev confirmed it was year-old PC footage.

Top Bottom