• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

As an adult, I rarely finish games I start

stuminus3

This feeling comes and goes with me.

I find it happens mostly when I'm busy with work or stressed.
This is definitely a thing that happens but I rarely see it mentioned.

I couldn't count the number of times I've spent an evening playing what I've considered the greatest game of all time... then after even a normal days work had no desire at all to pick up where I left off the next evening. No matter how great the game is, no matter how much fun I have, something seems to murder my interest.

This may be what the OP is struggling with, it's not always a conscious thing.

I know the feeling. Less spare time, less tolerance for nonsense, less interest in wasting time if I know a game isn't what I want. Doesn't help that there are so many steam sales with games that might be mildly interesting, I give them a go, think "meh" and consign them to the dustbin. But this causes me to neglect other games that I DO have an interest in, only to forget about them. Too many games, too little time. Several good console games I haven't touched in ages. :(

Classic adult dillema

When I had time I didn't have resources to get all interesting games
When I have resources now I don't have time :)

ghibli99

Game has to be fun, but there's a compulsive side to my personality where I feel like I need to finish a game, no matter how long it takes. Obviously, if the game sucks, I'll stop and sell it or uninstall, but if I'm having fun with it, I'll keep going. I started Nier back in like June of this year, and I keep chipping away at it. At this rate, it'll probably be next summer by the time I actually get through it. It's weird, though... I'm playing Bayo 2 right now, and even though it's likely GOTY for me, days like today, I don't really feel like playing it. Not sure why.

fcobento

Neo Member
I totally relate to this feeling.

Dark Souls for example. I simply loved that game and all the rage it made me feel... but i was already with 40 hours into it and nowhere near the end. I simply gave up on it and havent touched it since.
There are some games I cant even imagine playing, like Skyrim or DA:I... its just too much time to be put into one single game. I WANT TO... but i know for sure that I will start, love it and never finish the damn thing.

Lately, I've found it more pleasing to dwelve into single player games like Evil Within and Alien. Something you can just pop in and play for as long as you feel like it.

fcobento

Neo Member
I was starting to have that problem

Solution: Only buy a new game when I finish one (or I feel that I explored everything I set myself to)

It is difficult for example to not go out tomorrow and buy Far Cry but at the same time it is gratifying to finish a project, oh, and good to my wallet

This is what I'm doing.

I'm allowed to have 5 unfinished games. If I want to buy one, I need to finish one.

But sometimes... there's dark souls and that doesnt count as an unfinished game.

inm8num2

As I've gotten older the challenge to finish a game at all costs, no matter how difficult or long it is, has become less appealing. I still try to finish what I play, but when I was a kid it was all or nothing. Kids can devote all their energy to beating a game, but as adults we just have other distractions.

Dr. Buni

As I've gotten older the challenge to finish a game at all costs, no matter how difficult or long it is, has become less appealing. I still try to finish what I play, but when I was a kid it was all or nothing. Kids can devote all their energy to beating a game, but as adults we just have other distractions.
I can relate to this. It is one of the reasons I favor easy games over the more challenging ones nowadays.

Ranger X

Personally I finish my games (for the most part) but I will do EVERYTHING in them.
I have no time to complete games 100% and I prefer to play more games than having a perfect score.

There's also some sacrifices to make + I lost interest about certain genres over the years.

- forget about multi. No time for that
- forget about long RPGs, idgaf anymore

Icefire1424

Went from a work schedule where I had Thurs, Fri and Sat off to a standard Mon - Fri, and now have a kid to boot. Think I went from 20+ gaming hours a week to basically none. I would love to actually be able to play any games again soon...

...sigh...

LakeEarth

I no longer say I play videogames, I just try out videogames. In the rare occasion where I find more than an hour to play a game, I usually start up a game I've had in my backlog, play it for 4-6 hours straight, and then never play it again. Even if I love it (like Dragon's Dogma). A few months down the line where I have the opportunity like that again, I'll try something else I bought but never got a chance to play.

Early this year I had a week long "do nothing" vacation, the kind where you're significant other couldn't get off of work, so you're just doing stuff around the house. With the extra time I had, I played FFIX as it's the only PS1 Final Fantasy I'd never beaten in my youth. Despite having 5 days straight with ~4-5 hours to play, I still only made it to the third disk. Knowing how I play games now, I saved right next to my destination so that I could potentially pick it up again and know exactly what to do next, but it's been 6 months and I haven't had a chance just yet.

I still find time to beat games, but they have to be something that you can play for less than an hour and accomplish something.

Moofers

OP, I have recently resolved to go back and complete a lot of my backlog games, or at least make an honest attempt at them if they don't hold up so well. The main deciding factor for me was my budget. I realized I am spending so much money on games each year that it has gotten out of hand. I have a big collection of games. Something like 250 maybe? I know that's not a lot for some people, but for me its quite a lot.

Anyway, I decided that rather than try to keep up with the absurd amount of new releases at $60 a pop, I'm setting a budget for myself in 2015 where I only spend maybe $250-$300 on games, total. This not only makes me more responsible with my money, but it also allows me time to just go back and enjoy my games again. I mean take the time to sit and explore without feeling like I need to beat something in a few weeks before the next big thing comes along. Back in the days of my teens and early 20's, I'd sit and play the shit out of a single game for a good 2-3 months. I would fool around and try things and discover glitches and whatnot, most of the time without the help of the internet. I remember I got on top of the map for a few levels in Halo and messed up the flow of the levels by getting into areas before enemies had spawned or by obtaining vehicles I shouldn't have had (like Banshees). It was awesome and its the kind of thing I never do anymore.

So I decided its time to chew my food and savor the moments again, all while saving money in the process. That's my plan for 2015 and the rest of this year.

Handheld games are a blessing, I have a 90 minute break at work everyday so I get to play some games during them, on weekends I can play as much as I want but I have to also do other crap so I don't have that much time.

Persona Q next week is going to be so good, that's all I'm going to play for a while.

I tend to think of myself as being able to like "every good game out there", but lately I'm realizing that I don't like FPSs. I mean I LIKE them, they look so FUN and GOOD and full of over the top action and instant gratification with every shooting sound, but then I play them for half an hour and stop playing and then am never hungry to get more.

I was playing with the thought of re-buying an xbox360 to play Halo ODST, Reach and Halo 4 for quite a while, but never did. Now I got the master chief collection and playing those games, even the gloriously looking remastered Halo 2 feels like WORK that I don't want to get back to.

Last FPS I really enjoyed was Bioshock Infinite and even there I'm not sure if I had that "man, I can't wait to get back home to play more of this" or if it just was more of a routine-start up to finish the game for the gameplay/non-story parts.

I sure loved shooters and gory games in my teens.

Anyone have a suggestion for an FPS I should try to check my theory of me don't liking FPSs anymore?
(I'm not talking multi-player FPS btw. I never liked that when I wasn't playing on a LAN with people I knew personally.=

I VERY rarely finish games too. There's so many games I want but with college and working full time, I don't have time to finish a game before the next one I need to have comes out. I think the only games I finished in 2014 were 3D World and Wolfenstein

Top Bottom