• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

As an adult who lives alone what do you do when you get really sick?

Trey

Can't ask a roommate to make a run. Can't ask Dad or Mom to help you out. Living alone and you get the flu what do you do when you don't have any of the things you need to recover?

Chicken Noodle Soup, Tea, various drugs for your symptoms etc.

Call a friend over.

Hoo-doo

Banned
It is always Strep. But I don't use them if I'm just having a cold or cough

But is there a physician that diagnoses your strep throat and prescribes you the antibiotics each time? Because those meds aren't just for popping without having a physician figure out exactly what's wrong with you and whether it's even the right antibiotic for the job.

And even then, not following the entire antibiotic regimen is extremely harmful and breeds resistant micro-organisms. These aren't painkillers that you can just take when you feel you need them.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
OTC meds, nearby first response clinic if horrible and last resort call a colleague or friend before ER

Same thing I always do. Plan for the worst in advance. I know I have a bad habit of getting sick whenever I travel, so the last time I travelled alone I had a bag loaded with cold remedies, sore throat pills, painkillers and even benzos.

Hazmat

Having the flu fucking sucks, but it's not like you can't suck it up and make it to CVS for some NyQuil and cough drops. Anything more serious than that you can reasonably bother friends about.

phanphare

Banned
I alternate between laying on my couch and laying on my bed

I'll muster up the energy to make one grocery store run to get whatever I need. usually a bunch of soup, some saltines, and some pedialyte. stock up on medicine if I'm low.

then yeah, couch, bed, internet, movies, tv, video games, books, comics, hot bath. that's pretty much it. the more sleep the better, I've found. I've kicked some really bad bugs before by just forcing myself to sleep for an embarrassing amount of the day.

gaiages

Banned
The only time I got really really sick while I lived completely alone (like couldn't really leave the couch unless it was for the bathroom), I just... well, suffered really. I wasn't contagious but I also really couldn't go anywhere. My friends were too busy to make a sick run for me, and don't live near any family so, I just ate what I could and slept a lot. A LOT.

Otherwise I was lucky to be about two blocks away from a Walgreens, so I would walk there, get the supplies I need, and get better. Now I get my boyfriend to get things for me. :p

I lay on my couch watching docs about space and moan really long and loud for hours. Probably get doped up so I can sleep it off.

lord

My insurance has a telephone service with doctors on call 24/7, if that does not help, they have a service where they send a doctor to my apartment in less than 40 minutes for ~$10USD. If that does not help I have three ambulances per year for free, and a very low co pay for hospital care. It's not cheap but it has helped me out a lot.

jb1234

I've lived on my own for eighteen years. I just ride things out, although I don't get sick very often because I isolate myself so much from people.

unless you're literally dying, how can you not take care of yourself OP?

[seriously]

Last time I had some sort of weird stomach bug thing, I went to the grocery store to get a couple of things, on the way out knew I was going to vomit - stepped outside, fortunately there was a garbage can by the entrance, and vomited into the garbage can.

Some places may be a bit less accommodating to someone vomiting every 5 minutes.

I don't get sick very often because I isolate myself so much from people.

Good advice.

Brought my bed covers to the living room, spent the day shivering and watching Sherlock Season 4. Made the most basic of meals too - instant noodles and a sandwich. I make sure to have emergency "I'm-sick-and/or-peckish" food available every week.

Happened to me when I was still single and living 5+ hours away from home. I got a fever and was thinking I could ride it out, but it got worse enough that I had no desire to do anything but lie down and sleep. Couldn't even be bothered to eat (and I love eating normally). I only got up when I got thirsty and even that was a chore.

I eventually ran out of cold drinks so I trudged down to the ground floor where there was a little mom and pop shop to buy some cold soda and while I was waiting to pay I collapsed on the ground. Good thing there were other people there and a neighbor who caught me and brought me to a nearby hospital. I very nearly passed out but my neighbor kept me awake, thank goodness. I got my parents to drive over and pick me up that night.

It was fucking UTI.

This. Unless you're literally dying or have two broken legs (or similar), there's no excuse for not going shopping, even when you're sick.

There are times when you're not dying (yet) but are too weak to even get out of bed :(

Water + rest, ideally. Keep down whatever food you can. That's really all there is to getting over a flu, as long as you can take the time to recover properly.

In practice though, I can't afford to miss work, so it's generally stop at a drug store on way to work + buy a bunch of remedy to suppress symptoms so I can work and sleep in peace.

If it was truly life threatening, I'd call 911, or at least the emergency room.

BTW, "living alone" doesn't mean you don't have a support network of friends/family who can help you out.

Peltz

Match with a low self esteem girl on tinder and ask her to bring you stuff.

(Please don't actually do this).

Top Bottom