• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

As bad as things seem for the Wii U, I still think NIntendo can turn things around

BowieZ

Banned
I don't know what the best strategy for Nintendo is, but I really don't think dropping the price to 199 will change anything, I can already buy a premium pack for 249 (for comparison I can get a ps3 for 169 and a 360 for 159).
That's why they need to drop it to $149 (along with GC and DS VC ambassador program) with Wii remote plus only and don't include HDMI cable). That's after a fire sale of stock already on retailer shelves.

And for a week globally pound the TV and key internet sites with a massive ad campaign highlighting MK8, Smash Bros., etc and the $149 impulse buy price.

$199 is not drastic enough.

Platy

Nintendo CAN turn the WiiU around.
It is just make a price drop to 100 dolars and BAM everyone will own a ps4 AND a wiiU or an xbox1 AND a wiiU
....and then nintendo will loose a ridiculous amount of money on hardware sales =P

And no, dropping the gamepad will just make the WiiU more useless

I think, at this point, Nintendo's best hope is that the Wii U makes Gamecube numbers, and even that is doubtful.

Of course, a miracle could happen and people would buy the system. But still, developers aren't working on it, so if Mario Kart+Smash+Whatever increases sales enough to Gamecube levels (or more), developers won't go back to it until that time, and the new third party games wouldn't come at least a year after that.

Wii U will likely have the shortest lifespan among Nintendo consoles.

Buzzman

Banned
vX3ZX8A.jpg
You're right OP, this ship could also just be a little front-heavy, I'm sure it'll readjust soon enough.

At this point Nintendo should consider Wii U a success if it's able to be profitable and reach GameCube numbers. Personally I don't believe they are going to be able to reach those levels with their unwillingness to change.

As a satisfied Wii U owner I would love to see Wii U succeed with the GamePad. I just don't see it happening. I agree with OP that they should offer sn SKU without the GamePad. It seems to be the reason they are losing so much money on Wii U. Creating a GamePad-less SKU would allow them to stop bleeding all that money and stop eating up the profits from the 3 DS. It would also allow them to drop the price to a point that ir would be more attractive to families and to gamers as a secondary system for the growing list of exclusives.

I think it's more important for Nintendo to make sure they fix the major problems that plague Wii U, and Nintendo as a whole, for the rest of the Wii U lifecycle. They need to make sure they solve the major problems they face before launching a succesor to Wii U, and even 3DS. I hope I'm wrong but currently I don't think Nintendo has the willingness and foresight to make the necessary changes for the Wii U to be successful. Even when considering their definition of successful at this point should be simply being profitable and reaching GC numbers.

Cheerilee

Nintendo CAN turn the WiiU around.
It is just make a price drop to 100 dolars and BAM everyone will own a ps4 AND a wiiU or an xbox1 AND a wiiU
....and then nintendo will loose a ridiculous amount of money on hardware sales =P

And no, dropping the gamepad will just make the WiiU more useless

If Nintendo leaves the price where it is, they'll lose even more money on hardware. They already built 12 million units, sold less than 6 million, and the sales are nosediving.

I think, at this point, Nintendo's best hope is that the Wii U makes Gamecube numbers, and even that is doubtful.

Of course, a miracle could happen and people would buy the system. But still, developers aren't working on it, so if Mario Kart+Smash+Whatever increases sales enough to Gamecube levels (or more), developers won't go back to it until that time, and the new third party games wouldn't come at least a year after that.

Wii U will likely have the shortest lifespan among Nintendo consoles.

GameCube sold 22 million. Wii U sold less than 6 million, they made 12 million, and they'll be lucky to sell that. One of the factories that produced RAM for the Wii U has already shut down and now it's making parts for smartphones.

Naxat

Neo Member
A lower price, 200 euros i think its a good spot, and mk8 or 3d world bundled in would really help, we have seen this almost every time there is a good deal it sells out and if they market it with this price i ll bet it will do decent numbers.
Gamepad or not i think its irrelevant, no one really cares about it, so if they need to ditch it to achieve this price point i ll say they need to do it. Patch the os and some games, stick a you need a gamepad to play this game or something like this to nintendo land and wario and every other game its vital and they are done.

Laieon

I'll be surprised if they are still making games for it in Fall 2015. I think it's done after X/Zelda U

Depending on how this year goes, I wouldn't be too surprised if they pull a Twilight Princess and have Zelda U be both the final AAA game for the Wii U and the big AAA launch title for the next.

I think Nintendo can turn things around, but it'll be a huge up hill battle and I'm not sure if they'll be able to do it with the Wii U. There's just too many problems with it, everything from marketing (I don't know if "nobody wants it" is really he correct statement as much as "nobody knows what it is, even a year after launch") to the gamepad (although that's my favorite part, the ability to play off the TV is awesome). Oh, and they desperately need a shooter.

Nintendo doesn't need 3rd party exclusives. They need multiplats from 3rd parties.
They have exclusives and that's all they will get. But that is not enough.

So yeah, you can play Wonderful 101 and Bayonetta 2 only on Wii U, so what? Does that mean you can play Mass Effect 4 or Metal Gear Rising or Dark Souls 2 on it?
Multiplats add little to no value to the Wii U at this point. The audience for those games is on other platforms. It's only a very small segment of Nintendo-only gamers who will buy these games on the Wii U, and as you can see, that market isn't large enough for third parties to justify spending any resources on.

All the Wii U can do is try and further distinguish itself from the competition with experiences you can't get anywhere else. As with the Wii, multi-platform games do them no good. The audience for those games won't be buying the inferior versions, given the choice.

Had Nintendo released a console on par with the new Sony and Microsoft consoles, getting multi-platform games would be a big deal. But when you manufacture consoles that are intentionally going in a different direction from the industry at-large, that system shouldn't be getting all of the same games. I mean, why should it? Nintendo wants to carve their own niche, and the onus is on them to justify why the Wii U is a great new direction for games. To this point, they've failed to do so.

As for the OP, I don't believe the Wii U will be turned around. They all but stated in their briefing that it will be "business as usual" going forward for the Wii U, with a regurgitation of their unsuccessful 2013 strategy that "selling more Nintendo games will bring third parties back," just like what was supposed to happen with Mario. I think they are playing out the string at this point.

Hiltz

Wii U is an overpriced supplemental system with dried up third party support. Iwata, you have to acknowledge reality.

Metallix87

Wii U will be a good secondary system, and more people will realize that as the generation goes on. Will it recover? I doubt it, barring some surprise mega hit new IP. I still think Gamecube numbers can be attained, but even that is seeming more and more unlikely. That is all.

Ulumsk

I want it to turn things around(I own one), but they had their chance and they blew it. It's only going to get worse from here.

User Tron

Are we going to need Occam's machete?

There were numerous requests of Iwata all the way up to this month as to whether or not he was going to revise sales projections on the basis of disappointing numbers. He was stalwart in his refrain that the Wii-U would experience a turnaround and meet sales projections right up until the post-holiday sales numbers were released.

If he was promising nine million units would be shipped (and he was), then he damn well better have had production capacity to make it physically possible to do so. If he had already ordered production curtailed and it was no longer possible to produce that many units, and he continued to promise those numbers to investors, then he is not only guilty of gross incompetence but also securities fraud via corporate misconduct and is likely to have a great many (likely ex-)investors out for his blood rather than simply his resignation.

Again, this isn't a case where he said, "We're going to ship nine million units next year" in January of last year, he continued to make that promise up until just a couple of weeks ago. He had many opportunities to revise their projections - including the quarterly earnings reports, where he was expected to do so in an official capacity - and chose to stick with the nine million number. A number that, while completely unrealistic, had better have at least been possible for the entire period he made those promises.

Your error is that you think the possibility of making those unit is the same as making those unit. Nintendo can ramp up production within a certain margin in very short time (aka few weeks). As long as Nintendo could make those, there's no lying and no fraud. If you don't believe this, we only can agree that we disagree.

It kinda baffles me how people seem to think Smash Bros is miraculously going to save the WiiU. I mean, outside of gaming enthusiasts, i dont know anyone who would even know the game if you were to ask them "What do you think of super smash bros?". Its not like a pokemon or mario game in its appeal, even if it has those characters in it. Its not the kind of game thats going to hook your average punter the way that, say, GTA3 reeled in your average gamer and made a fortune for Sony. I just think it kinda screams of "Shenmue will save the Dreamcast" anytime someone seems to legitimately think SB, or any single game, can save an ailing console.

Griss

I honestly feel that while obviously Nintendo paid to keep the lights on and running by funding development, The Wonderful 101 damaged Platinum's reputation potentially for the rest of their existence. When reports came out that it was their highest budget title yet, that compounded problems. Going forward, how do they convince any other publisher they can "really do it this time"? Essentially they've knee-capped the budgets they can expect offered to them going forward.

Sega already screwed the pooch with them by not advertising Vanquish at all, but then when Nintendo too didnt bother either, it should be painfully obvious to Inaba that unless the contracts he signs have a 30-40% of budget goes to TV advertising clause, they'll not repeat Bayonetta and Revengeance successes, as mild as they were.

Oh and they need to get their shit onto Steam with a fierce priority. If even Treasure is "considering it", you know Japanese devs have to start changing how shit operates and swiftly.

I agree with all of that, but I do think they have an 'out' when explaining away the W101 in future contract discussions.

'We made it childish to appeal to Nintendo fans; Nintendo promised us advertising support that didn't materialise, they promised us an audience and hardware sales platform that didn't materialise, nothing succeeded on Wii U.'

Vanquish is a much bigger stain as far as I'm concerned. The market for that kind of game is on the consoles it released on and they just ignored it. That's the worry with Platinum games, and as you say that's why they'll struggle to get big budgets in the future.

It kinda baffles me how people seem to think Smash Bros is miraculously going to save the WiiU. I mean, outside of gaming enthusiasts, i dont know anyone who would even know the game if you were to ask them "What do you think of super smash bros?". Its not like a pokemon or mario game in its appeal, even if it has those characters in it. Its not the kind of game thats going to hook your average punter the way that, say, GTA3 reeled in your average gamer and made a fortune for Sony. I just think it kinda screams of "Shenmue will save the Dreamcast" anytime someone seems to legitimately think SB, or any single game, can save an ailing console.

Smash was GameCube's best-selling game, though. Plus as a multiplayer party game, a lot of people would have played it without having owned a copy.

I think Wii U is pretty much finished at this point but as long as I get Bayo2, X, Smash, and Zelda U, I guess it's okay. Nintendo really messed this one up though...

Paskil

I have a ton of games to keep me busy across PS3/4, Vita, 3DS, Wii, DS, and PC. I will buy a WiiU when I can get one for 100-150 and after Smash has launched, for sure. It is likely that I will not purchase a WiiU until at least 2015, and possibly secondhand, thus negating a potential sale for Nintendo.

The games are not there. Allow me to rephrase that... Not enough games are there to get me to pay $300 or even $200. I'm interested to see what they do in the next year, but there is nothing there to entice me to buy one. I really don't see them "turning it around".

I'm a lifelong Nintendo fan that threw his hands in the air late last year and just gave up on them totally out of frustration.
The board of directors and iwata are driving this bus off the bridge. The main problem is their pride.

It's not gonna get better

Smash was GameCube's best-selling game, though. Plus as a multiplayer party game, a lot of people would have played it without having owned a copy.

I think Wii U is pretty much finished at this point but as long as I get Bayo2, X, Smash, and Zelda U, I guess it's okay. Nintendo really messed this one up though...

Smash will probably sell as well as Super Mario 3D world does if we use the Wii as a metric since SMG and Smash sold similar numbers.

It'll be a game about 2 million Wii U owners will buy and it won't raise the Wii U's numbers by anything significant. However smash on 3DS will be the one to watch as the series has never touched handhelds before and looking at how madly successful Luigi Mansion 2 was, it'll be immensely popular as well.

Look on the bright side. If it continues doing poorly, it will become dirt cheap and those who don't own one won't have to pay much to play Zelda, Mario and most importantly, X :)

x-Lundz-x

Wii U will be a good secondary system, and more people will realize that as the generation goes on. Will it recover? I doubt it, barring some surprise mega hit new IP. I still think Gamecube numbers can be attained, but even that is seeming more and more unlikely. That is all.

The only thing it's good for now is a first party only game machine. A machine that has maybe 3 games a year that interest me does not sell itself at 300 dollars. It needs to be 199 or less.

In a way I'm charmed by your hope. On the other, I think it's lunatic.

The console has almost no redeeming qualities. It's game over.

The truth will set you free.

No redeeming qualities? That's silly.

It has an excellent, but admittedly small number of great games, and there are a few more on the horizon.

That said, the buzz is so negative both from consumers and publishers that turning it around is next to impossible. So, I agree with you there.

tebunker

Banned
I am not so confident they can turn it around. I had already decided that I would be fine with the U being a Nintendo and Indie box, but Nintendo can barely make/release enough games to even do that right. Hell indies may be dropping it soon too, no one else noticed that blood of eh werewolf wasn't given a date for wiiu but it was for live and PSN.

Its a shame because I look at the 4 and the One and I don't see the kind of games I want to play. Maybe they will come one day but I am not holding my breath.

I still firmly believe the best way to turn around the wiiu is to open up the platform much like an App Store. Make it extremely cheap and accessible to develop for. Make it near impossible for devs to not put games on it. I mean would you rather make a high royalty/fee from little to no games or make a smaller royalty from a ton of games. Once the thing is flooded with software then people will be compelled to buy. It isn't going to happen though they proves that with the investor meeting. Take the virtual console for example, completely wasted asset. They need to stop half assing a lot of things and just get what little they have perfect.

As well they proved even more that they are still to Japan focused from the meeting. I am not sure they are capable of learning from their mistakes.

rvy

Banned
If NoA and NoE are given a lot more power, maybe. So, I doubt they can turn things around.
I'm still getting one next week for Bayo 2 and TW101, but it's really sad to see Nintendo have their heads so far up their ass when it comes to WiiU.

kinggroin

Banned
Multiplats add little to no value to the Wii U at this point. The audience for those games is on other platforms. It's only a very small segment of Nintendo-only gamers who will buy these games on the Wii U, and as you can see, that market isn't large enough for third parties to justify spending any resources on.

All the Wii U can do is try and further distinguish itself from the competition with experiences you can't get anywhere else. As with the Wii, multi-platform games do them no good. The audience for those games won't be buying the inferior versions, given the choice.

Had Nintendo released a console on par with the new Sony and Microsoft consoles, getting multi-platform games would be a big deal. But when you manufacture consoles that are intentionally going in a different direction from the industry at-large, that system shouldn't be getting all of the same games. I mean, why should it? Nintendo wants to carve their own niche, and the onus is on them to justify why the Wii U is a great new direction for games. To this point, they've failed to do so.

As for the OP, I don't believe the Wii U will be turned around. They all but stated in their briefing that it will be "business as usual" going forward for the Wii U, with a regurgitation of their unsuccessful 2013 strategy that "selling more Nintendo games will bring third parties back," just like what was supposed to happen with Mario. I think they are playing out the string at this point.

Best post of the thread. Great analysis.

Cheerilee

Your error is that you think the possibility of making those unit is the same as making those unit. Nintendo can ramp up production within a certain margin in very short time (aka few weeks). As long as Nintendo could make those, there's no lying and no fraud. If you don't believe this, we only can agree that we disagree.

WiiU sold 500k in the lead up to the holidays. And those were launch units. Yet Iwata continued to bet on the holidays to save the Wii U, right up until the holidays were upon them.

So your best case scenario is... that factories dialed down their production to near zero after launch, dialed it way up and made 4 million for November, and another 4 million for December?

But Black Friday came at the end of November, Nintendo got crushed, and that fact didn't become clear until well into December. Nintendo relies on NPD data. The most they could've possibly done was abort 4 million units, and I doubt they even had the time to do that. And that would be a rash decision before seeing how Christmas itself was going to play out.

I'm imagining Iwata as Grand Moff Tarkin from Star Wars. "Evacuate? In our moment of triumph? I think you overestimate their chances!"

Cygnus X-1

What blows me away more than anything is the ridiculously strategy provided by the board of directors. Hell, the entire world obviously sees this system as dead and they won't take any drastic, sensed measure to improve sales.

I'm starting to think they don't care. Maybe they simply just want to keep their warm and comfy seats as long as the ship keeps sailing. And when it's about to sink, they will leave it. Especially now that Yamauchi is dead, there is nobody that could stop them doing that.

hwy_61

Banned

Not only that, but even if they did release a console with similar specs to PS4/XBONE, was Nintendo going to be competent enough to add similar account systems, trophies, ect? I think not. This is a company that operates in a goddamn bubble.

What blows me away more than anything is the ridiculously strategy provided by the board of directors. Hell, the entire world obviously sees this system as dead and they won't take any drastic, sensed measure to improve sales.

I'm starting to think they don't care. Maybe they simply just want to keep their warm and comfy seats as long as the ship keeps sailing. And when it's about to sink, they will leave it. Especially now that Yamauchi is dead, there is nobody that could stop them doing that.

There's a lot of hate for iwata and not enough for Miyamoto in my opinion. Yes he's made amazing games, he's also an important seat on the board setting the course for the company going forward.

Mattias

Banned

Im going to be very surprised if Smash sells 1 million.

RPGCrazied

I think they should just remarket it. First of all drop the name Wii U. Price drop as well, even if its just by $50. Most people think its just an expansion to the Wii. Its confusing. More games would be nice. Where is Metroid? The new Zelda? Lastly get 3rd party back on board.

User Tron

WiiU sold 500k in the lead up to the holidays. And those were launch units. Yet Iwata continued to bet on the holidays to save the Wii U, right up until the holidays were upon them.

So your best case scenario is... that factories dialed down their production to near zero after launch, dialed it way up and made 4 million for November, and another 4 million for December?

But Black Friday came at the end of November, Nintendo got crushed, and that fact didn't become clear until well into December. Nintendo relies on NPD data. The most they could've possibly done was abort 4.5 million units, and I doubt they even had the time to do that. And that would be a rash decision before seeing how Christmas itself was going to play out.

I'm imagining Iwata as Grand Moff Tarkin from Star Wars. "Evacuate? In our moment of triumph? I think you overestimate their chances!"

Sorry but throwing around random numbers does not help. Where do you get these numbers? Why would all units be made by December (the FY ends in march)? Orders for the holidays are normally in by October. If they have base line of 500k per month and cam ramp up to 1M short (2-4 weeks) and 2M long term (8 weeks), they still could produce a lot. And of course plus the ones they have in stock. Even if I take your numbers -> 9.5m target - 4.5m aborted - 2.5m sold by March -> 2.5m stock by march. Not that much difference to argue imho.

I think they should just remarket it. First of all drop the name Wii U. Price drop as well, even if its just by $50. Most people think its just an expansion to the Wii. Its confusing. More games would be nice. Where is Metroid? The new Zelda? Lastly get 3rd party back on board.

Do you know how hard it would be for Nintendo to suddenly rebrand an already existing console?

As much as I dislike the name "Wii U" (should've just called it the "Nintendo U") there's no undoing that. They have to live with it.
Rebranding it with another name would mean that they'd have to pull ALL the games and accessories and consoles from the store shelves and replace them with ones with the new name on it.

It would be more profitable for Nintendo to just ride this godforsaken train called Wii U through the next 2 or 3 years than to replace it with a new but same one.

You're right about people thinking it's a Wii expansion, though. That's because it's called "Wii U", and not something like "Super Wii", "Wii 2" or "Nintendo 7".
With the old name in front and the new name in the back it looks (at least to us westerners, don't know about good ol' Japan) like it wouldb e an expansion instead of a new console.
The SUPER Nintendo Entertainment System was pretty clear in that it's not just a Nintendo Entertainment System but it was something better, something new. It was SUPER, not and not a "Nintendo Entertainment Machine" or something.

The Nintendo 64 was something else from the SNES because it had a completely different name. Same with the GameCube and Wii.

"Wii U" was simply the most unimaginitive and confusing name they could've given to their Wii successor.

Doens't mean they can change it now, though.

desbrisay

Neo Member
Ugh... it's a great console, for what it is, which is a HD Wii and should have been marketed as such. Most of the first party games are truly great, I love it and my kids freaking adore it, they also enjoy the tablet controller more than I do.

I don't see it competing this gen, that ship sailed long ago, it just might stay alive with first party and indie games but I doubt it will turn Nintendo a profit. They're probably looking at things like ZeldaU and seriously wondering if the dev costs are too much given the possible sales... Grim but they did it to themselves.

After the investor conference, an image has formed in my mind of Nintendo as an old lady clutching at her purse, debating furiously whether to spend a quarter from her astronomically large bank account to call the fire department as her fucking house burns to the ground.

What a difference 3 months make.

kirby_fox

Banned
Cost > benefit

$199? You're dreaming if you think that it'll hit that price just by dropping the gamepad. You have a new OS to build, potential confusion if you sell it separately, and the only market you're gaining is "people who don't want the tablet controller but want Nintendo games" and even then after they did this I'd put money on it there would be all the people saying they wanted this going "It's still too expensive."

They're gonna ride out the Wii U as they learn HD development and restructure themselves internally while using licensing to rack up dollars and get their IPs visible. Expect a movie by end of year or spring of next- depending on how much they've already been working on.

KJRS_1993

I think we all know now that the only thing Nintendo can do to save the Wii U is to get Infinity Ward to make a gritty reboot of the Metroid Prime series. Who's with me!?

Guys...?

btrboyev

Nintendo could sell 2 million Wii U's next month and it would still be dead unfortunately. 3rd parties have left and they are not coming back.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Ugh... it's a great console, for what it is, which is a HD Wii and should have been marketed as such.

That would have been problematic, given that Wii U doesn't run Wii games in HD.

neoemonk

It makes me sad but the market has spoken. I love my Wii U but I also love my Vita and had a Dreamcast once upon a time. I am the platform killer.

Top Bottom