• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ascension: Chronicle of the Godslayer |OT| iOS Deck Building

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Gah it is so easy to accidentally forfeit in this game. They need a confirmation screen for that. Thankfully I've only done it once or twice but I'll have to be careful in the tournament.

Guys just to let you know i can't take my turn, sorry. iphone has been replaced with an android. apologies if u were waiting for me.

So my kids and I are big into CCGs, but we've never played a non-CCG card game. We're at GenCon yesterday, and I'm like, 'We have to demo Dominion, we have to demo Dominion.' And we don't. So.

I go home and buy Ascension on my iPad and simply play the tutorial. OMFG. This whole 'play from a pool of community cards' is like a revelation. Anyone who bitches about chance being too big a factor in card games and has never wandered off the CCG path...well, all I can say is 'wow'. This is like a whole new mechanic, and I think I'm in love.

I'll get online and start mixing it up with you guys in the next day or two....

Jswanko

Just bought and played tutorial but I'm still pretty lost. Figured since all my Carc buds kept raving id pick it up. Send me a game request!

GC Jswanko

no angel

Ok, just bought this and I'm loving it so far, added a couple of people from the game centre list but if anyone else fancies a game shoot me a request. Signed up for the tournament too, just hope I made the deadline!

One quick question, can anyone explain the benefits of banishing cards from your discard pile?

no angel | urbanpanda

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
no angel said:
Ok, just bought this and I'm loving it so far, added a couple of people from the game centre list but if anyone else fancies a game shoot me a request. Signed up for the tournament too, just hope I made the deadline!

One quick question, can anyone explain the benefits of banishing cards from your discard pile?

no angel | urbanpanda
the cards you start with are weaker than the cards you buy, so it makes your hands stronger

Alright folks, the tournament starts NOW! Here is a link for those competitors and which groups you are included in (selection was completely random):

Click here to view the tournament structure.

Here are the rules (similar to World Cup style):
You play against the people in your group once. Points are awarded based on the outcome, wins equate to 3 points, draws equate to 1 point, and losses receive no points.

Once results are in, the top 2 players in each group are then seeded into a bracket style tournament, with the players competing in a best of 3 series per level. Opponents are seeded in this round with the group winner competing against a second place competitor from a different group. No points, best out of 3 games moves onto the next level until a winner is declared.

Once you have completed your best of 3 series with a player, please post your results on this page and I will add it to the tournament page.

Enjoy yourselves!

Please let me know if you have any questions and good luck!

Kosh

kryptikjoker said:
Here are the rules (similar to World Cup style):
You play against the people in your group once.

Just to clarify, the round robin group matches are also best 2 out of 3, right?

Kosh said:
Just to clarify, the round robin group matches are also best 2 out of 3, right?

World Cup style dictates that round robin matches against your opponents are only played once. The elimination style is best 2 out of 3. If we want to do best 2 out of 3 in the round robin rounds, I don't have an issue with it, but would like people's opinions.

Kosh

Ok, that's fine. I just wanted to make sure. In that case, In Group D I beat WillieAames/Sloth_Bear in our match.

Roodiculous and I have started ours, but haven't finished yet.

Flunkie, I sent you a friend request a few days ago but you haven't accepted it.

Darb

Neo Member
Nobiru said:
Does the lite version not exist anymore? cant find it :(
They took it down. No time table on it's availability. It might have been deemed too full featured for a lite version.

Completely forgot to sign up for the tourney! I'll have to wait to redeem my poor showing in the last tourney....

Darb said:
They took it down. No time table on it's availability. It might have been deemed too full featured for a lite version.

Completely forgot to sign up for the tourney! I'll have to wait to redeem my poor showing in the last tourney....

Damn, thats too bad. I will probably just buy it eventually, but it would be nice to try it out first.

One thing I wish this game had was support for multi-tasking. I constantly switch between this game, Carcassonne and Safari and loading up the game and clicking back into the multiplayer menu is too many taps in. Hopefully they tighten up the interface just a little bit to streamline returning to multiplayer games.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
haven't been able to add doc wily/galvatron though i coulda sworn i had him on my list before. anyone seen him? add me -- same name as here

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
AstroLad 82
kryptikjoker 74

gg kj! was fortunate you didn't steal one of my 5-pt cards at the end there -- would have made things very interesting

no angel

All my games are underway, I get the impression that I'm in radically different timezones to my opponents (I'm in the uk) but I'll try to stay up as late as possible in order to complete them in good time. Apologies if this holds anyone up.

Also Astrolad the three player game we're playing is my first against more than one opponent, be gentle!

AstroLad said:
AstroLad 82
kryptikjoker 74

gg kj! was fortunate you didn't steal one of my 5-pt cards at the end there -- would have made things very interesting

After building my deck, my last draw was nothing to write home about. GG AstroLad!

soldat7

octobot said:
Soldat7 vs octobot in round one, and soldat crushes me. Not close at all, my luck has run out;) good game soldat!

That was a good game (I won't tell you where I was when we were playing.) I got lucky snagging that Avatar of the Fallen early.

Should we get this thread moved to "Community"?

Melhisedek said:
Guys I've never played a card game before but like strategy games in general. How hard is this one for a total newb?

It can be tricky to 'get' at first, but several games with the AI should do the trick. I had never played a game like this before and I learned pretty quick (and I'm not the brightest tack in the drawer.)

Melhisedek said:
Guys I've never played a card game before but like strategy games in general. How hard is this one for a total newb?

Seems to me that they don't come much easier. The game is very good at letting you know at any moment what you're capable of doing, and the mechanics just aren't that complex - certainly not anywhere near something like Magic...

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
sparky2112 said:
Seems to me that they don't come much easier. The game is very good at letting you know at any moment what you're capable of doing, and the mechanics just aren't that complex - certainly not anywhere near something like Magic...
THIS. There's a tutorial but I think it probably helps to read the rules online too at ascensiongame.com -- they're short and easy to follow.

octobot

soldat7 said:
That was a good game (I won't tell you where I was when we were playing.) I got lucky snagging that Avatar of the Fallen early.

Should we get this thread moved to "Community"?

It can be tricky to 'get' at first, but several games with the AI should do the trick. I had never played a game like this before and I learned pretty quick (and I'm not the brightest tack in the drawer.)

yeah you getting the avatar was pretty demoralizing, as i was trying to build up to that too and didnt think you would get it that fast. good game though.

Berksy

BroHuffman said:
Berksy you son of gun. Stole that one construct out of my hand gave you the game. Damn it.

Hehe, pure luck. The most interesting game i have played btw.

This is why i love this game. I used to play Magic but to have fun you really need to know how to play and your opponent must know too. Ascension lets you pull dirty tricks even when you are a beginner like me.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
sparky2112 said:

one of the best features of this awesome, awesome app

Berksy

no angel said:
Another close one, well played sir.

Meh, my tactic was very bad :( My end game deck was like 10 2-attack-warriors and 3 void cards lol.

If the game ended one turn earlier you would win :D

no angel

For my final game Huffman well and truly dominated me, unfortunately i don't have the score as I knocked my home key before I could make a note of it. Convenient!

Top Bottom