• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ashley Madison infidelity site's customer data stolen

Status
Not open for further replies.

bengraven

Gotta admit, I hated this site since it's inception. The first time I heard it advertised on Stern I thought it was a prank. I don't have an issue with people going outside of their marriage when it's agreed upon, but cheating opens legal, emotional, and damaging results more often than not.

Extortion?

Huh? Extort who? We made a fake account now pay up or we'll tell your partner?

They can create fake profiles using genuine addresses.

True, but that seems a little a pointless as you'd have to verify your email address no?

But the Guardian has said that they have confirmed that the e-mails their reporter used for news purposes in Ashley Madison indeed do appear.

Ars technica also said its genuine.

So that's that then. I guess the list is full of bot accounts?

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
He's saying that only unmarried people think cheating and lying to your spouse is morally reprehensible.

Not necessarily. But I think mostly only unmarried people would think its as black and white as "don't cheat, get divorced". Its not necessarily that simple and I say that as someone who is happily married and have never cheated.

Actually, I believe in lucky enough to be married to someone who is really into sex and open to just about anything.

Of course it matters how I, or anyone else feels about it. You don't get to dismiss it just because you say it doesn't matter, jesus christ.

In the context of whether or not the leaking of the data is justified, or if these people got what was coming to them, no, your feelings on infidelity don't matter. The violation of these people's privacy is wrong, regardless. Anyone claiming they got what they deserved, or that these hackers had some moral justification is an asshole.

There is always 1-2 out of a 100 you can call legitimate...but that doesn't excuse the other 98-99.
So everyone should suffer so you get to have your moral outrage party?

Let's put it this way. Every single person here who was outraged about GamerGate doxxing people should be just as up in arms about this. You can't say one group of people deserves to get their personal information sprayed all over the net and one doesn't. It doesn't work both ways.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Please, we need to seriously divorce* the fact that this site enabled cheating from the hacking. I'm not condoning cheating in any way, but anyone saying that these people deserve this look seriously hypocritical when any other doxxing is considered wrong and / or illegal.
*pun not intended

I'm not condoning the hack. The hack is wrong, illegal and the hackers should be put to justice.

I just can't feel sorry for the people whose relationships got ruined because they signed up for a website that enabled and encouraged cheating on one's spouse. If you cheat, you risk getting burned, one way or another.

Tapiozona

Banned
Is there a site that lets you search by name and/or address rather than email? Most users wouldn't be dumb enough to use their primary email addresses so I doubt any spouses are going to find much.

redbourne

Neo Member
cheating on your spouse is legal ?

Yes.

Of course it can be reason for divorce and certain payments that come with that, but the police won't be throwing you in jail.

I'm more concerned about the ramifications of the minors involved. Whether or not you are in jail, if there are children they will be with separated parents. Even before then they will definitely be able to feel the tension within the house, fights or no fights.

Welp, my email showed up despite having never visited the site.

Tried a password reset but haven't got any sort of email from them.

Yeah, as I put in the other thread mine did to. I was in the gmail beta so I got my two initials and a very common surname, so I get misdirected emails on a daily basis, intended for both male and females. I looked through my old emails and low and behold I did get what I thought was spam way back in 2008. Thankfully as soon as I saw the emails, I sent one to my wife to check them out, she has my password and I don't logout of our main computer. One email had the login, it was a name, similar to my email but a few letters off of the middle and a slightly different surname, and the password was the same as the login. So thankfully I have a paper trail of showing my wife these emails way back in 2008 the day they appeared. For whatever reason the person deleted their account the day or day after it was created so I wasn't inundated and just I ignored them, like any other spam. I guess that was a mistake, but considering even people who paid to have themselves removed from the system were in the data dump, I would wager that once an email is in there it was for all time regardless of errors/malfeasance.

Nonetheless, she's pretty pissed as am I since anyone who has my email can see me in the system and its the sort of thing that is whispered and not confronted and defendable. Hopefully(?) Someone gets the address search up and will see that it wasn't me. To have an email I've had since the gmail beta compromised is so fucking annoying. How fucking dumb would I have to be to use my primary email that I keep logged in on. I mean, really, I used multiple logins to game bbs games in the early 90s for crying out loud. Jesus. I do need to get a new email address for resumes and the like, very annoying.

This tread is the final battle of moral righteousness gaf VS anti-monogamy-gaf. A true clash for the ages.

Cheating your partner can be understandable in some cases, but that doesn't make it justifiable. If you have a problem with your partner you talk it out, or you walk it out. Cheating is the lame bandaid that solves nothing and only makes the problem grow bigger in the long run while harming other people in the process too. That shit is indefensible.

However, I find the glee that many people have from knowing how some cheaters have been outed to be downright miserable. Cheaters are, in the big scheme of things, small potatoes. They're not murders, rapists or thieves, nor you have not been directly affected by these dudes. The level of pettiness shown here disgust me way more than any kind of cheating. Urgh.

i will assure you the more a dude want to look righteous on the eyes of others the more he is not on the real life

its all hypocrisy of a lot of gaffers here

Rayis

Cheating is bad but doxxing is worse imo, I have sympathy for the "cheaters" and none for the hackers, prosecute them plz

Cybrwzrd

Banned
despicable

What is more despicable? Depriving the person you are married to of intimacy or cheating?

It is pretty funny how simplistic so many of you make this out to be. I know moralGAF is loving to attack me here and overreact to what I am saying.

It is not a black and white issue. If you really want to see why I'm so callous over marriage, and can completely sympathize with the feelings of someone who cheats, please feel free to dig into my post history in a thread about pregnancy, I'm sure you can have some fun.

Fixing a broken marriage is very difficult. Living in one is even harder. But leaving one makes living in one seem easy - especially when kids are involved.

What is more despicable? Depriving the person you are married to of intimacy or cheating?

It is pretty funny how simplistic so many of you make this out to be. I know moralGAF is loving to attack me here and overreact to what I am saying.

It is not a black and white issue. If you really want to see why I'm so callous over marriage, and can completely sympathize with the feelings of someone who cheats, please feel free to dig into my post history in a thread about pregnancy, I'm sure you can have some fun.

Fixing a broken marriage is very difficult. Living in one is even harder. But leaving one makes living in one seem easy - especially when kids are involved.

And there it is.

This is exactly why I asked if your personal experience had anything to do with your inability to be objective. Rather than saying we're irrational or "moralGAF," you could have made a reasonable point based on your own experiences. But instead, you had to go full on attack mode.

Saying you should divorce someone because they are medically unable to have sex is deplorable.

jelly

So, apparently they don't ask you to confirm your email address when you sign up so there is the possibility that it wasn't the person who uses that address. However if other details match or something very unique and unlikely to be copied, that won't look good.

Someone who is medically unable to have sex should be exempt from showing their partner intimacy? Seriously? That is what you are saying.

If my wife ever gets to the point that she is so sick that her body breaks down, I'll forgive her for not being in the mood to give me a handjob.

And now I remember: You're the guy that blamed the girl for "taking your youth and dreams" because you got her pregnant and she didn't want to get an abortion. And that the guy should "stand his ground" and "get her to have an abortion."

So I'm done arguing with you.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
People in this thread really need to separate the act of cheating on a spouse from the act of identity theft. One does not justify the other.

Herbs

Banned

Just gonna leave the bolded right here.

If my wife ever gets to the point that she is so sick that her body breaks down, I'll forgive her for not being in the mood to give me a handjob.

And now I remember: You're the guy that blamed the girl for "taking your youth and dreams" because you got her pregnant and she didn't want to get an abortion. And that the guy should "stand his ground" and "get her to have an abortion."

It's amazing. He has so much resentment for women because he made dumb decisions in his life. Classic sign of a cheater who can't take responsibility for their own fuck-ups.

People in this thread really need to separate the act of cheating on a spouse from the act of identity theft. One does not justify the other.

precisely.

Cheating is cheating. its despicable. Just because hackers leaked it doesn't mean one has to have sympathy for them.

secondly hackers have always done this. this is their way of doing this. call it hacktivism or simply crime, they have always done things outside the law

yet it doesnt excuse infidelity. And its not just accidental infidelity, most people used credit cards to cheat. they didnt even try to hide it online

riotous

Banned
Well yes, though the release of personal info is regrettable, I do share the bolded sentiment above. One is not necessarily has to be mutually exclusive from the other, you know?

You aren't the person I was talking to, or the person who said the 2 things.... lol.

A person on the first page essentially said. "The hackers were ethical, fuck any service that helps people cheat."

Why would I assume the ethical statement was tongue in cheek?

riotous

Banned
I think the site doesn't have email verification policies in place. So probably someone put a fake email in the site.

At least one of the verification sites will tell you whether an account was verified or not.

So they do have a verification process, and the data shows which accounts were verified or not. (AKA, which people signing up used a real e-mail)

Future

And there it is.

This is exactly why I asked if your personal experience had anything to do with your inability to be objective. Rather than saying we're irrational or "moralGAF," you could have made a reasonable point based on your own experiences. But instead, you had to go full on attack mode.

Saying you should divorce someone because they are medically unable to have sex is deplorable.

What are you saying. That if you married a spouse that can no longer have sex with you, that you have officially sworn off sex forever?

Morally what you are saying is correct. But swearing off sex for 20+ years is as reasonable as abstinence education in schools. It's also not something I could recommend to anyone, and it's not something I believe most people could do even if they said they could. Sex is too primal of an urge

Good grief.

So based on that, it seems fair to assume he cheated on his wife. I also assume that based on his other posts, he asked for her sex during this time, she declined and so he felt within his rights to seek out someone else to fulfil those needs.

And then there's the attempt to appear noble by saying he even stayed with her during her battle with cancer.

Jesus, dude... you fucked up and you claim she ruined your life? Did she force you to have unprotected sex? Is it her fault your pull-out game is garbage? Come the fuck on.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
My main email address (which is a common derivative of my name) has been used for two different accounts, based on someone who looked at the data for me.

One from a guy in Green Bay who deleted his account, and then eventually for a 50 year old guy in Richmond Virginia. Both validated by their signup IP address and other aspects

Needless to say, if an email is in there, it doesn't really mean anything

I think everyone has had a look at another person besides your SO and even for a second said "that person looks good" or "that person looks sexy" even though you are already with someone .e.g engaged or married. thats normal raw human nature thats so intricate that even the best of people get it for a second.

but having an affair itself is saying I will keep my SO but I will satisfy myself outside my home instead of helping yourself and your SO by getting out of the relationship, one goes out of their way (in secret) and gets their stuff on. Its the next step. People might excuse it by saying well i wasnt satisfied or i wasnt getting any at home or i was feeling depressed. is that really a legitimate excuse? just get out of the current relationship then if you need to satisfy yourself and you don't have the willpower to work on your current relationship or the will power to get out of it.

in essence you are not only cheating on your SO, you are cheating on yourself because you are weak willed to plough through it and keep your focus on what is right.

Future

I'm saying it's not grounds to divorce your wife.

You are ignoring my point. If it's not grounds for divorce, and you can't cheat, and your spouse doesn't allow open relationship.... Then swearing off sex forever is something we'd expect people to do? Do we really think that's gonna play out perfectly?

Some third degree burn going on in these last posts
troll.png

I spent some time last night looking up friends and family, and it looks like everyone is living normal lives. I was secretly hoping for at least one surprise, but no luck.

You are ignoring my point. If it's not grounds for divorce, and you can't cheat, and your spouse doesn't allow open relationship.... Then swearing off sex forever is something we'd expect people to do? Do we really think that's gonna play out perfectly?

That was Cybrwzrd's point which is what I was commenting on.

The discussion on how to handle intimacy during a medical crisis should be exactly that, a discussion. I do not believe divorce is the correct option and I would not seek out sex with other people as long as I was married to my wife.

you know what this will do?

1. People will sue the living daylights out of the owner of Ashley madison
2. websites will now delete deleted user data and not store them to prevent hackers after the user deletes/deactivates service
3. people will start using burner emails and burner names
4. online dating will change forever due to this. people who are already in a relationship will never step into this.

inner-G

Banned
It's ok to not be monogamous as long as your partner is in the know, imo. If you're hiding it from them, that's another story.

I myself couldn't do it, but I have friends who are in open marriages and it seems to work for them.

Someone who is medically unable to have sex should be exempt from showing their partner intimacy? Seriously? That is what you are saying.
I would agree with them. Not only because that is the only decent view, but because sex is only a small part of what makes up a real relationship.

you know what this will do?

1. People will sue the living daylights out of the owner of Ashley madison
2. websites will now delete deleted user data and not store them to prevent hackers after the user deletes/deactivates service
3. people will start using burner emails and burner names
4. online dating will change forever due to this. people who are already in a relationship will never step into this.

An yet people will not stop cheating and will find new ways to go about it.

Future

That was Cybrwzrd's point which is what I was commenting on.

The discussion on how to handle intimacy during a medical crisis should be exactly that, a discussion. I do not believe divorce is the correct option and I would not seek out sex with other people as long as I was married to my wife.

It's definitely a discussion. But if the discussion ends with no sex, or divorce, then I actually agree many would try to avoid divorce.

But I also think they'd eventually cheat. Not everyone of course. Many people do make vows of chastity and can maintain it. It's just an unreasonable state of life to me for the long term.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Add me to the list of common gmail beta names that got popped (first initial common surname). Never been on the site, only married for 2.5 years. Super not happy that this could cause a headache for me and/or my wife.

Whoever had it nuked the account because trying to get the password emailed to me results in nothing.

Kind of expected it. The amount of other people's mail I get is startling. Dish bills, vacation photos, some Portuguese yacht club... But those were mildly annoying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom