• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assasins Creed Syndicate

If Unity is not broken any more I may buy it now. Does free roaming is fun? I mean if I'm mostly interested in doing random things and parkour in Paris am I going to enjoy it?

ironcreed

Banned
Chû Totoro;182323344 said:
If Unity is not broken any more I may buy it now. Does free roaming is fun? I mean if I'm mostly interested in doing random things and parkour in Paris am I going to enjoy it?

Probably. It has some fun side quests, great characters and Paris is gorgeous. I enjoyed Unity.

Alpende

I didn't even know it was coming out this week. Thought it was a late November release for sure.

I've stopped buying AC games for full price though,they have become way to samey. I still have to buy Unity for cheap.

Probably. It has some fun side quests, great characters and Paris is gorgeous. I enjoyed Unity.

Will try then. Find it for 30€, physical version. I'm not expecting much and Black Flag wasn't for me so if Unity is more like previous ones and now that it's not broken I may at least enjoy one of the main appeal of the franchise : historical setting.

I just wish they would make a few changes in gameplay and put less shitty activities to do.

Because publishers and games should be exempt from criticism? Gamers aren't allowed to voice their opinions?

The AC franchise has run out of steam and making this series an annual event accelerated the process. I played and finished the first four games, I didn't enjoy AC3 however and I only played the beginning of Black Flag. I'm glad I didn't pre-order Unity since it turned out to be rubbish and almost everything I've seen from the new game shouts "been there done that" to me. Ubisoft's cookiecutter open world games don't do it for me anymore.

It doesn't help that the quality of Ubisoft's PC ports are pretty poor and only become playable months later after a number of patches.

Criticism are perfectly normal if you played the game which is not the case of a lot of posters. I won't go to a Destiny thread to say that the game is bad or boring if I haven't played it.

ironcreed

Banned
Chû Totoro;182323992 said:
Will try then. Find it for 30€, physical version. I'm not expecting much and Black Flag wasn't for me so if Unity is more like previous ones and now that it's not broken I may at least enjoy one of the main appeal of the franchise : historical setting.

I just wish they would make a few changes in gameplay and put less shitty activities to do.

Well, Unity does have some interesting side stuff. Like the murder mysteries, for instance. Or the co-op missions, which are also pretty fun.

Valonquar

I pre-ordered the deluxe edition of Unity, and now I'll never buy another AC game until bargin bin. Unity was so fucking terrible in every regard it isn't funny.

The new engine allows the developers to create cities in a fraction of the time by reusing assets to generate entire towns that you're supposed to not notice how much is being rehashed... but it's so cookie cutter it isn't funny, especially from rooftop.

The map screen is such a vomit filled mess of icons it's a challenge to even select the correct waypoint without hitting another icon by mistake. The online components are all over the place as well, and some collectibles reset, becoming recollectible. This means even if you try to sweep up everything, the game starts shitting all over the map again.

The combat changes continue to be lame. Sure combat got easy by AC3, but at least it looked really cool the way everything chained together in large groups. How is getting gaffled and dying by more than 4 guys more fun than murdering a 20 guys?

The storyline in Unity was so terrible and trope driven it was hard to play all the way through. There's literally no reason to care about the love interest woman at all, and the main character is a complete twat, even by Nathan Drake standards.

The game was so buggy that my first hour of the game featured me fall through the world map TWICE trying to chase someone in the first mission. It's the first time I attempted to ask for a return on PSN (which was unceremoniously denied) and has made me wary of digital purchases altogether.

Even with all that, I do somehow still enjoy the core mechanics of the games, and the very tiny slivers of sci-fi they throw in the storyline occasionally. Maybe when Syndicate hits sub $25 I'll give it a whirl, but not before. Too many RPGs out now to play anyhow.

Free running is slightly different from previous games. I see a lot of players still holding down the RT+A combo all the time. They made it so you only use that for approaching vertical walls and to perform bigger jumps. The quick descend is also a really good addition.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Criticism are perfectly normal if you played the game which is not the case of a lot of posters. I won't go to a Destiny thread to say that the game is bad or boring if I haven't played it.

No one says the game IS boring, but that it LOOKS boring. And that's a perfect sensible thing to say. The trailers, teasers, previews, 30-minute demos, etc were all made to entice us to buy the game. Everyone's allowed to have an opinion on what the game looks like based on Ubisoft's PR material.

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
I played through Unity after finding it in the bin for cheap recently (on PC). I thought it was pretty okay, and never had any bugs or weird stuff happen apart. Ran great on my PC, whereas I still get annoying microstuttering in Black Flag :(.

Lets be honest the only truly bad game was 3 because the pacing,main character etc. Unity was good jus had too many technical problems. The hate this series gets is purely of the fact it's annual(like cod for no reason)

I didn't think unity was good. The story was mediocre, the characters were flat as well. The game also played too similarly to past ones. The best part of it was France, but even that gets old.

At this point, the only thing that will bring me back would be Japan, but that is too close to what many want, so Ubisoft won't do it. Their excuse of the era being played out is silly.

SURGEdude

I disagree about 3 being a bad game. I don't think the series actually had a "bad" game yet.

Depending on definition I'd add Unity and especially the first game as potentially bad games. I would require a hourly wage to play through 3 or the original again.

I find if I play ever 3rd game I can somewhat avoid the fatigue annual players experience. But the lack of real innovation in this series makes COD look groundbreaking.

lumzi23

Looking at the gameplay I really seem interested in this one. The parkour seems more methodical and controlled. The missions seem more fun as well.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
that sucks didnt see it was set for november if it would of come out this week i would of played through it real quick before fallout 4 and battlefront come out well thats crappy was looking for something to tide me over but guess ill stick with bf4 and smite just gotta last a couple more weeks

red731

Just saw the glitch carriage video and thought it was reskinned Watch Dogs.
The series lost a lot of flair. Blessed be Ezio's storyline tho.

RedAssedApe

Banned
I actually liked the one evie walk through i watched where they described several ways to handle the assassination outside of the usual. kill everyone and then kill the target.

cautiously optimistic. will check out the reviews to see if i will pick this up at launch but will probably eventually play this anyways. im part of the problem i guess :\

Karak

I actually liked the one evie walk through i watched where they described several ways to handle the assassination outside of the usual. kill everyone and then kill the target.

cautiously optimistic. will check out the reviews to see if i will pick this up at launch but will probably eventually play this anyways. im part of the problem i guess :\

Ya I am reviewing it now and that kind of stuff is actually present everywhere in the title.

SJRB

Gold Member
Does anyone know if the game has a day/night cycle?

I like how you can create two independant builds with the upgrades, e.g. make Jacob a brawler while Evie has more stealth-related unlocks.

Yes, opinions that aren't yours are totally tolerated.

He is referring to posts like these:

I think I'd rather buy 30 pumpkin spice lattes.

Please make this the OT.

|OT| Ubisoft Webinotbuying

|OT| Oh, so that's why they didn't go with 'Victory'.

|OT| Irony: this franchise used to take place in history, now it is history.

Assassin's Creed Syndicate |OT| I DONT GET IT

I vote for this as the OT.

Of which there are countless in this thread and the other active Syndicate thread on the first page. This is very different from someone criticizing the series or expressing their opinion, which should be welcomed. The above posters either didn't post again in the thread, or only posted again to make a similar comment. It's drive-by shitposting, which he expressly singled out in his post. It stifles conversation about the game itself, as well as actual criticism, by derailing substantive discussions and dog-piling on something that isn't "popular." You could rip similar tripe right out of an IGN article's comments section. GAF is better than that.

Rodolink

How can you be hyped for a franchise that releases a new entry every year without significant innovation, lots of bugs, and a price cut secured after 4 months of release?

super6646

Banned
1. Yes
2. No

Unity blew it for me. I loved Black Flag, and it got me back into it after the disappointment of AC3. But after last year, screw Assasin's Creed!

RedAssedApe

Banned
75 metacritic and 5.0 userscore confirmed. When a game can't be reviewed till the last second, usually it means its going to disappoint

eh...this only affects people who pre-order and you can always cancel or return your game. don't really care about this as long as the reviews are out before. if they aren't sending out review copies at all and having reviewers buy their own copies thats when you should get worried.

Catdaddy

Taking a half day Friday, so if I’m hearing good things (i.e. better than Unity) will go ahead and buy, otherwise will hold off and play Witcher 3 on NG+.

Edit: Although Slasher is giving me cautious optimism.

Free Roaming is not fun with the horrible controls...

super6646

Banned
eh...this only affects people who pre-order and you can always cancel or return your game. don't really care about this as long as the reviews are out before. if they aren't sending out review copies at all and having reviewers buy their own copies thats when you should get worried.

Why did the Nathan Drake collection and Halo 5 review copies come out WAY before their release? It is worrying you have to wait till the last second to see reviews of the game, but who knows?

RedAssedApe

Banned
the addition of downwards parkour in unity was great. especially when you compare it to other games that came after it.

dying light for example was super awkward. anytime you wanted to reach the ground quickly you needed to find trashbags (and hope you didn't mistime your jump and die) or try and find a zipline somewhere.

Top Bottom