• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assasins Creed Syndicate

dcelw540

Why did the Nathan Drake collection and Halo 5 review copies come out WAY before their release? It is worrying you have to wait till the last second to see reviews of the game, but who knows?
No it's the companies decision, I think ubisoft has stated last year that all or most of their games will be sent out the day it comes out to review critics.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
Yeah, I tend to agree changes to navigation were for the best. Except for climbing into windows. That shit got annoying fast.

They actually fixed that in Syndicate, when you're climbing near a window, you can just press a button to climb inside, no matter from what direction.

Soodanim

If they finally got rid of all the awful boat stuff and the PC version isn't offensive bad I might be interested. I haven't played one since the atrocious 3, but in replaying 2 right now and it's still fun.

There's no way I'd buy a new AC blind these days.

What is the consensus so far from people who have played it; yay or nay? I am cautiously optimistic it will be good.

I'm getting it tomorrow. Will come back tomorrow night and give my impressions.

I've played all the AC games. Like them all for the most part. Unity did was a bit of a let down for me.

RedAssedApe

Banned
If they finally got rid of all the awful boat stuff and the PC version isn't offensive bad I might be interested. I haven't played one since the atrocious 3, but in replaying 2 right now and it's still fun.

There's no way I'd buy a new AC blind these days.

They iterated on "the awful boat stuff" really well in AC4: Black Flag. One of the highlights to that game actually.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
I'll be pre-ordering Syndicate when I go to work Thursday and will then pick up when I go to work on Friday. Watching the video below got me hyped for the game even though I wish the guy doing the stream would have went into the options / HUD menus -

http://n4g.com/news/1807395/assassi...ameplay-showcasing-the-immense-size-and-scope

Watched about an hour as once the guy starts playing story missions, I stopped watching. Many people may not like it but if it works well when playing, im going to love that zip line addition.

Definitely see Syndicate surpassing Unity in every way and granted, that might not be saying much but im expecting a very good game.

Drewfonse

I have this very odd feeling that this will be a significant step up from Unity. Low bar, for sure, but I'm just feeling like this might bring back some of the magic.

Fingers crossed...

I'll be pre-ordering Syndicate when I go to work Thursday and will then pick up when I go to work on Friday. Watching the video below got me hyped for the game even though I wish the guy doing the stream would have went into the options / HUD menus -

http://n4g.com/news/1807395/assassi...ameplay-showcasing-the-immense-size-and-scope

Watched about an hour as once the guy starts playing story missions, I stopped watching. Many people may not like it but if it works well when playing, im going to love that zip line addition.

Definitely see Syndicate surpassing Unity in every way and granted, that might not be saying much but im expecting a very good game.

Eurogamer had a livestream yesterday with it. He goes into the menus a little bit. Not really into the HUD options and stuff, mostly the skills and equipment. Good to see crafting is back.

https://youtu.be/qo7U6utQeY4?t=2480

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Eurogamer had a livestream yesterday with it. He goes into the menus a little bit. Not really into the HUD options and stuff, mostly the skills and equipment. Good to see crafting is back.

https://youtu.be/qo7U6utQeY4?t=2480

That's the video I was watching. He was okay playing the game but in fairness, he was going to areas that were a few levels above what he was. Very happy that the crafting is back. Loved it in Black Flag and Rogue. Looking at the different regions, it appears that there's a lot of side stuff to do which is fine by me. Hoping the collectables are all good as im definitely going for 100% total sync but im also hoping that there's none of those glymphs that were in Unity. I absolutely hated those.

Soodanim

They iterated on "the awful boat stuff" really well in AC4: Black Flag. One of the highlights to that game actually.
I know I'm a minority on this one (maybe GAF just loves pirates), but the boat stuff was the worst part of 3 for me. It wasn't over quick enough. It does absolutely nothing for me and never has done, and 4 got an instant and irreversible no from me because of that.

I think what I want to try out most is the improved climbing. They continued to add to it in Ezio's trilogy, but it was never completely perfect and it slows the games down a bit. And of course any other gameplay refinements.

Toa TAK

Banned

Boat crap in ACIV was fun at first until you realize that you're still collecting worthless materials, animus shards, and there's still an empty ocean you sail around in. Legendary Ships were cool, but even then they were just slightly faster than you to become a challenge.

Man I was relieved every time we were done doing boat missions. I can't believe they had the audacity to do TAILING missions for the ships.

That's the video I was watching. He was okay playing the game but in fairness, he was going to areas that were a few levels above what he was. Very happy that the crafting is back. Loved it in Black Flag and Rogue. Looking at the different regions, it appears that there's a lot of side stuff to do which is fine by me. Hoping the collectables are all good as im definitely going for 100% total sync but im also hoping that there's none of those glymphs that were in Unity. I absolutely hated those.

Yeah, also it seems doing missions for specific characters builds loyalty with them where you can unlock better gear and items. I'm excited for that.

Also, Fight Clubs are back!!

ogbg

I think what I want to try out most is the improved climbing. They continued to add to it in Ezio's trilogy, but it was never completely perfect and it slows the games down a bit. And of course any other gameplay refinements.

I've only played Black Flag and Unity and it's certainly much better in Unity (just having the parkour down is an improvement), but maybe not enough to justify how much of it you end up doing. The rope launcher and carriage additions should hopefully mix things up a bit more.

I've only played Black Flag and Unity and it's certainly much better in Unity (just having the parkour down is an improvement), but maybe not enough to justify how much of it you end up doing. The rope launcher and carriage additions should hopefully mix things up a bit more.

From what I read they also fixed the some of the problems Unity had with climbing into windows.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Boat crap in ACIV was fun at first until you realize that you're still collecting worthless materials, animus shards, and there's still an empty ocean you sail around in. Legendary Ships were cool, but even then they were just slightly faster than you to become a challenge.

Man I was relieved every time we were done doing boat missions. I can't believe they had the audacity to do TAILING missions for the ships.

i'm not really a completionist in these open world games. i'll try and grab whatevers nearby and or doesn't take that much effort when im moving toward a story mission. maybe that's why i'm not as burnt out on some of these mechanics. i think i upgraded my ship enough to make some of the ship missions easier that's about it.

Those of you that are very vocal about the glitches in Assassins Creed, have you played the Witcher III? Were/Are you as vocal about that games many, many bugs?

I still have quests in my log I can't finish.

Toa TAK

Banned
i'm not really a completionist in these open world games. i'll try and grab whatevers nearby and or doesn't take that much effort when im moving toward a story mission. maybe that's why i'm not as burnt out on some of these mechanics. i think i upgraded my ship enough to make some of the ship missions easier that's about it.

I did the same. ACIV was the first AC game I didn't bother being a completionist for, usually I'm down for everything, but I got burnt on it fast, especially with the naval warfare. People complain about the combat being too easy in these games, it also extends to the ship warfare as well. =\

Anyways, I'm glad it's gone for now. I enjoyed running through Kingston more in that game than I did sailing towards Tortuga.

KingJ2002

Im a huge Assasins Creed fan and I just preordered Syndicate.

Ive played through all the games except Unity, that ones a buggy mess.

Am I going to regret my purchase?
Anyone else hyped about the new game?

Maybe.

Not Me.

I'll play the game but im not hyped about this... i hope this game could bring back the series but it's doubtful. Assassin Creed games need more time to bake. These yearly releases aren't helping.

Since this isn't the OP... we should rename this thread.

ogbg

From the gameplay I saw Syndicate has way bigger interiors than Unity.

Yeah, I remember reading the dev saying they were focusing more on the important interiors but dropping most of the small inconsequential ones. I did kind of like the fact that so many buildings could be entered but I'd prefer the game to run better.

ironcreed

Banned
I poked fun at old footage of the zipline, but after watching more footage of the game it looks like a god send. You can cover huge distances with it. Here is some good looking Xbox One footage that has some of what I am talking about:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQ6nunoo8Js

I never thought it would happen, but I have kind of changed my tune on this game. I just felt burned out and so not ready for another Assassin's Creed, but all of the footage makes me want to play it. I can't lie.

gabagool

Banned
He is referring to posts like these:

Of which there are countless in this thread and the other active Syndicate thread on the first page. This is very different from someone criticizing the series or expressing their opinion, which should be welcomed. The above posters either didn't post again in the thread, or only posted again to make a similar comment. It's drive-by shitposting, which he expressly singled out in his post. It stifles conversation about the game itself, as well as actual criticism, by derailing substantive discussions and dog-piling on something that isn't "popular." You could rip similar tripe right out of an IGN article's comments section. GAF is better than that.
I don't see the problem with people poking fun at a VIDEO GAME. They aren't personally attacking anyone, it's harmless.
If you don't like those posts, you can ignore them.

I think regardless of the quality of this game, they should try to take a bit more time developing the settings of the next games. So far Syndicate looks better than Unity, but a lot of the videos I have seen makes the locations look a bit samey, especially in comparison to what we got with Unity. I wanna see different districts and aesthetics, it would give the games a bit of variety.

RedAssedApe

Banned
an every other year deal where they alternate between assassins creed and something like far cry/watch dogs would be ideal. but its probably hard for the suits to justify spending more time in dev when people keep buying these games every year.

Karak

I poked fun at old footage of the zipline, but after watching more footage of the game it looks like a god send. You can cover huge distances with it. Here is some good looking Xbox One footage that has some of what I am talking about:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQ6nunoo8Js

I never thought it would happen, but I have kind of changed my tune on this game. I just felt burned out and so not ready for another Assassin's Creed, but all of the footage makes me want to play it. I can't lie.
I cant say much but there are some surprises here that will be interesting to most players I think

ironcreed

Banned
I cant say much but there are some surprises here that will be interesting to most players I think

Yeah, sometimes you think a game is going to be awful and it ends up being better than you thought (and vice versa). That is the impression I am starting to get here. That said, I think most of my negativity was due to feeling burned out and not ready for another entry just yet. But watching some good chunks of gameplay has warmed me up to it.

I enjoyed Unity and this looks like an improvement so I'll probably pick it up, just not at release. I'm planning on getting Divinity first.

The footage I've watched makes it look fairly entertaining for sure.

I don't see the problem with people poking fun at a VIDEO GAME. They aren't personally attacking anyone, it's harmless.
If you don't like those posts, you can ignore them.

You need to calm down.

My post wasn't about personal attacks or "harm," so I have no clue what you're talking about. You also seemed to have missed the point of my post with the bolded text above - the very crux of the problem with the referenced posts is that you can't ignore them, as they, by their nature, derail substantive discussion and crowd out those who want to have legitimate conversations.

Drive-by posting wouldn't be so discouraged if not for the fact that it's hard to ignore because it hampers relevant dialogue. I'll be honest, I'm a little baffled that this explanation was necessary.

To stay on topic: I was personally curious about the effect the rope launcher would have on regular free-roaming parkour. Glad to hear it may actually be a useful addition.

Karak

Yeah, sometimes you think a game is going to be awful and it ends up being better than you thought (and vice versa). That is the impression I am starting to get here. That said, I think most of my negativity was due to feeling burned out and not ready for another entry just yet. But watching some good chunks of gameplay has warmed me up to it.

That has been this entire month wrapped up into 1 sentence for me lol.

I did post a bit after we got back from PAX and I was really impressed with what I saw(though some rough bits) and I can only say that I think its clear there is a reason that they allowed us to show the content this week in the Lets Plays and such. There is some confidence there.

EDIT: FAIR WARNING I am a person that does not care whatsoever what a game is named or if it has a number in it to indicate its the 44th in a line. If its enjoyable or good it just is. I don't suffer much from burnout of like titles and even if I did that wouldn't indicate a problem with the title. It would be a problem with the developer or publisher but I don't hold a title ransom for that.

I was personally curious about the effect the rope launcher would have on regular free-roaming parkour. Glad to hear it may actually be a useful addition.
I think like all things it will probably be shown to be a tool that helps particular players but won't be overused.

ironcreed

Banned
I did post a bit after we got back from PAX and I was really impressed with what I saw(though some rough bits) and I can only say that I think its clear there is a reason that they allowed us to show the content this week in the Lets Plays and such. There is some confidence there.

There definitely seems to be a positive vibe from the people like yourself who are playing it. And Ubi being so generous in allowing the game to be shown off is pretty reassuring, not to mention a great way to bring people who had written it off around. It has done the trick for me.

Setsuna

We should give Europe a break. Let's go to South Africa at least. Or Egypt.

Lets go to the famous and interesting south african city of , , , ,There are none

And trying to do Egypt (unless they did a modern take on egypt) would just be assassins creed 1 with pyramids.

Toa TAK

Banned
Lets go to the famous and interesting south african city of , , , ,There are none

And trying to do Egypt (unless they did a modern take on egypt) would just be assassins creed 1 with pyramids.
Johannesburg?

And I'd kill for something like AC 1 again.

There definitely seems to be a positive vibe from the people like yourself who are playing it. And Ubi being so generous in allowing the game to be shown off is pretty reassuring, not to mention a great way to bring people who had written it off around. It has done the trick for me.

Well let's not forget they indeed did let people stream Unity before release as well, but as someone playing Syndicate, I think you have nothing to worry about ;)

I love the AC series. Even with Unity's downfalls, I still enjoyed the game, I just wish we got more. I wish it was optimized on day one, the story was more developed and more.

Is Syndicate running better than Unity (if anyone has the game yet?)?
How's the framerate?
Any noticeable/mass glitches?
I haven't preordered and I told myself I would not until I heard some impressions from reviews and die hard AC fans.

I really hope this series can take a year or two break and come back strong. But I doubt that with next year with the movie, as they will probably have a game to go with it. And the year after that is the 10th anniversary

Maybe next years game will be a big change? I remember all the hype AC III had, and seeing how Syndicate has so little hype is surprising.

I really hope it is good. I am a huge fan of Peaky Blinders and this looks like Peaky Blinders the game pretty much.

So i really want it to be good because if it is I will actually buy it and play the shit out of it but I am waiting for reviews and impressions.

I love the AC series. Even with Unity's downfalls, I still enjoyed the game, I just wish we got more. I wish it was optimized on day one, the story was more developed and more.

Is Syndicate running better than Unity (if anyone has the game yet?)?
How's the framerate?
Any noticeable/mass glitches?
I haven't preordered and I told myself I would not until I heard some impressions from reviews and die hard AC fans.

I really hope this series can take a year or two break and come back strong. But I doubt that with next year with the movie, as they will probably have a game to go with it. And the year after that is the 10th anniversary

Maybe next years game will be a big change? I remember all the hype AC III had, and seeing how Syndicate has so little hype is surprising.

The launch will be a much more "smoother" experience then Unity was.

Top Bottom