• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assasins Creed Syndicate

omonimo

Banned
They won't retouch the models. But we can look forward to better LOD, draw distances, shadows, HBAO+, and resolutions above 900p on top of no 30fps limitations.

Sounds good to me.
Wait a minute. Ps4 footage was 1080p at E3. Another downgrade? Gowd love this engine.

SomTervo

Admittedly I didn't put much time into the game, but so far missions were either usual shit or something with a new topping on them to feel them better.

One thing I noticed yesterday that I didn't like was this. Besides my leveling up skills and gear I noticed, that districts of the town under control of Templars have their levels as well. And sure enought I bumped into a small gang of 6 level thugs and began fighting. But it felt like bad MMO or RPG design. Being two levels short my kukri did veeery little damage with every hit, but enemies were more agressive. So I spent like two or three minutes trying to kill them, until more came in and I fled. That was super wierd for AC game and I don't approve this design as of now, but again, I didn't play the game for too long.

What I like that every small mission has additional tasks just like Unity did or MGS V does.
Like if you have two targets - killing them both with one attack, or something like that.

It was exactly the same in Unity and worked very well imo. Although if it's anything like Unity you'll be OP and killing all enemies in all districts within 5 hours gameplay anyway.

R&R

The framerate is not worse or better than in any other Assassin's Creed game prior to Unity. I can count the times the framerate noticably dipped on one hand after playing for about 10 hours.

I don't know if that reddit guy is simply lying or didn't install any of the patches, but what he says is not actually true for the game I'm playing.

I can confirm this too, the framerate seems to be pretty decent. But the graphics have suffered for it.

Kezen

Banned
Wait a minute. Ps4 footage was 1080p at E3. Another downgrade? Gowd love this engine.

Do you have a source for the 1080p footage ? The PNG shots don't look like 1080p to me, but it's easy to be mistaken when some very aggressive AA solutions are employed.

dcb2821

Black Flag and Unity were great games, so I expect the same for this one. I didn't encounter many bugs in Unity, I thought it played just fine and had a pretty good story.

omonimo

Banned
Do you have a source for the 1080p footage ? The PNG shots don't look like 1080p to me, but it's easy to be mistaken when some very aggressive AA solutions are employed.
Any source just Dark something. I don't remember his user name. Damn. His quite notorious here and hardly is wrong but my memory suck with name.

omonimo

Banned
i dont remember them(ubi) ever claiming it was 1080p on ps4.
Considered how much downgrade I seen, I'm definitely surprise can't handle 1080p on ps4. I don't get it what was wrong in Ubisoft engine to be such demanding to require sub 1080p. Not seems particular advanced tech wise to my eyes. I found The Witcher 3 quite more expensive of this strange graphic hybrid of tech.

Considered how much downgrade I seen, I'm definitely surprise can't handle 1080p on ps4. I don't get it what was wrong in Ubisoft engine to be such demanding to require sub 1080p. Not seems particular advanced tech wise to my eyes.

sub optimal engine design

SJRB

Gold Member
Considered how much downgrade I seen, I'm definitely surprise can't handle 1080p on ps4. I don't get it what was wrong in Ubisoft engine to be such demanding to require sub 1080p. Not seems particular advanced tech wise to my eyes. I found The Witcher 3 quite more expensive of this strange graphic hybrid of tech.

You have no idea what you're talking about, do you?

You can delight me indeed. Lower AF, massive pop in in the character and pre baked light. And fps still suffer. What's the tech miracle I'm missing?

I guess they are using some advanced tech (PBR...) but the results on consoles are just messy. Unity looked bad outside of PC.

Kezen

Banned
Any source just Dark something. I don't remember his user name. Damn. His quite notorious here and hardly is wrong but my memory suck with name.

Perhaps the final build is technologically more advanced hence the drop in resolution.

I guess they are using some advanced tech (PBR...) but the results on consoles are just messy. Unity looked bad outside of PC.
Unity's assets were authored with PBR across all platforms (you don't do that only for one sku).
Low resolution + little AF didn't help the IQ at all I agree, but it was a very good next-gen showcase nonetheless.

Unity's assets were authored with PBR across all platforms (you don't do that only for one sku).
Low resolution + little AF didn't help the IQ at all I agree, but it was a very good next-gen showcase nonetheless.

I know, my point was just that the game looked (and ran) messy albeit having PBR.

ironcreed

Banned
Man, last year there was such a huge hype train for Unity.

It just feels like everybody has accepted the franchise has stagnated.

It definitely has and it needs a big break. That said, even after feeling burned out and not ready for a new one, watching all of the gameplay footage reminded me that I nearly always have fun playing these games. I heard the great music, saw some neat new gadgets at play in a pretty old London setting and it just made me want the game. What can I say?

At least if they graphics are downgraded a little from Unity but in favour of less bugs and better framerate then it's the way to go.

They should focus on this instead of pretty shots.

Don't care for the most beautiful screens for a game that can only go to 20 fps with crazy bugs. Less effects, less characters at the same time, even smaller resolution if it's a justified compromise. Make good games ! You're not here to make pretty but unplayable games devs !

Sorry for the off topic /kinda/ but would GAF recommend digital AC Unity or retail version... with the big patches and mandatory install on PS4 I guess it may be better to go digital? Of course I can't sell the game after but nobody will buy my used game for more than 15€ anyway.

ogbg

Regarding the downgrade, it's most likely because they went back to a dynamic day-night cycle rather than 4 pre-baked static times of day as in Unity.

Drewfonse

The main issue for me is the timing of this release. I already have a little bit of open world fatigue, and this comes out right before Fallout 4 and close to Just Cause 3. There just simply isn't enough time for me to play all of them, nor do I want 3 open world games in my rotation. JC 3 is a sure thing, and F4 probably is, too.

Impulsor

Regarding the downgrade, it's most likely because they went back to a dynamic day-night cycle rather than 4 pre-baked static times of day as in Unity.

Does this have a dynamic night and day cicle then.

Other than this, I think they should probably ditch the engine and just use Unreal 4 or something like that,.

Yoday

The scale and size of the cities in this and Unity completely dwarf anything else out there. My guess is that they are running into a memory bottleneck. Increasing the resolution is going to require more RAM, and if they have hit the RAM limit of the consoles at 900p then it is going to take some considerable engine optimization or scaling back to get the PS4 to 1080p. I don't really see them reducing the size or scale of the cities in order to get just one platform to a higher resolution.

Of course this is just my speculation and I could be completely wrong.

ogbg

The scale and size of the cities in this and Unity completely dwarf anything else out there. My guess is that they are running into a memory bottleneck. Increasing the resolution is going to require more RAM, and if they have hit the RAM limit of the consoles at 900p then it is going to take some considerable engine optimization or scaling back to get the PS4 to 1080p. I don't really see them reducing the size or scale of the cities in order to get just one platform to a higher resolution.

Of course this is just my speculation and I could be completely wrong.

Is it confirmed at 900p on PS4? A couple of previews I saw this week both said 1080p

omonimo

Banned
I will read really strange things on this forum.
Uh why? I found more beauty for example Batman AK and it's even less tech advanced. What's the point to use such expensive features if you have to sacrifice IQ, AF, fps stability and res? I really don't understand the graphic priorities of some developers. Most of the common people can't even appreciate such stuff because it's not even that candy eye.

WeTeHa

Yeah it does

I love that they are back to the dynamic day/night cycle. Now I just need more dynamic weather like in previous entries with thunderstorms with lightning and stuff like that.

I've played Unity for almost 60 hours and I think I've only seen some light rain for a few times. I need rain and puddles!

Karak

Review breaks at 4am PDT on Oct 22nd according to the paperwork from Ubi I am holding in my hand right now.

ogbg

I love that they are back to the dynamic day/night cycle. Now I just need more dynamic weather like in previous entries with thunderstorms with lightning and stuff like that.

I've played Unity for almost 60 hours and I think I've only seen some light rain for a few times. I need rain and puddles!

Yeah, dynamic time of day is way more important to me than looking as good as Unity. Free roaming is just more fun when time passes while you're doing it. I would even find myself artificially bumping time forward to the next window after a certain number of side missions in Unity to try and emulate the feeling.

I've seen some heavy rain appearing in the streams that I've watched but don't think I've seen any lightning storms yet.

ironcreed

Banned
The Fight Club is a pretty neat addition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAqvnAg3OBk

AvKl72w.gif

Watching THIS video and I like the the hustle and bustle of the city in certain areas. Also, nice little detail when he climbs aboard the small boat and puts the guy in the water accidentally. The zipline also looks pretty cool and allowed them to really push the scale of the buildings/streets without making traversal any more tedious.

Still think not having exploration music is a mistake and I have no idea why they keep leaving it out. The combat animations also generally look lower quality than previous games.

EDIT: Seems like they pushed the "1v1 while everyone else stands around" combat to new heights. Are there no 2 or 3 person attacks like in Batman? Looks really awkward.

The bolded is disappointing but I'm a little surprised. Most of what I've heard so far indicates that there is plenty of ambient music while free-roaming. I dug up this AC subreddit post for a quick source (it's one of the bottom comments).

ironcreed

Banned
The bolded is disappointing but I'm a little surprised. Most of what I've heard so far indicates that there is plenty of ambient music while free-roaming. I dug up this AC subreddit post for a quick source (it's one of the bottom comments).

Music definitely kicks in at times in some of the footage I have seen. Some beautiful stuff as well. Though, I can't remember which video it was that I watched.

Top Bottom