• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin’s Creed Origins Director Calls Xbox One X Version ‘Most Beautiful Version’

As always TLW's posts are a perfect representation of this:
tumblr_o16n2kBlpX1ta3qyvo1_1280.jpg

whenever they talk about partnerships.

I'm sure this had nothing to do with the fact that the 360 was objectively easier to develop for last gen and more to do with favoritism towards MS.
You know...despite all these marketing partnerships with sony that led to exclusive DLC for playstation:

8a9DiZH.png

BenArnold.jpg

Aveline.png

maxresdefault.jpg

But yea yea they were always more closely knit with MS.

large.gif

Webcomic_xkcd_-_Wikipedian_protester.png

It's almost like this is the showcase title for the 1X and it's a good idea to highlight the improvements made like with the launch of any new console that's at the top of the food chain.

All the improvements:

There's an unconfirmed rumor that they're working on a 1080/60fps mode.
Not likely.
Bravo. Love the X1X improvements.

jaypah

As a PC gamer I know that the PC version should be the best but I also know that AAA publishers are generally more concerned with consoles. It is what it is. XBX version will be the best console version which it should be given the power difference. Unless a AAA developer mentions PC by name I always just assume they're talking about consoles.

jaypah

Lol at the "PC isn't mainstream though" stuff in here. And that makes the statement accurate how? Dude said "most beautiful". It's a blanket statement.

Some muthafuckas always tryin' to ice-skate uphill

I don't think the statement is accurate, I just think it's predictable.

FZW

Does the PC version have HDR? cause if not, I can see why one would classify the XBX version as the most beautiful.

Well, here's the thing...Ubi was always close-knitted with MS and MS hardware than they ever were with Sony...Maybe they prefer MS hardware, but even the first AC was better on 360, though first announced by Sony and where many thought it would be exclusive at the time...Every other AC was better there too and it's understandable, but for something as basic as an AA Solution, Ubisoft kept a vaseline infested Quincunx AA on PS3 for several games, which made all PS3 versions blurrier, they only opted to change it till AC Revelations...

That was just a bit of history though. Beginning this gen, Ubisoft's model for development was based on XB1 hardware, maybe they thought it would be just as successful as the 360 seeing all the success their AC franchise received on that platform, but Black Flag was 900p, so was Unity and Syndicate...and of course we had titles like WatchDogs which had to be scaled slightly below 900p on XB1 because of the GPU...All these games were 900p on PS4 as well...Now, I'm not calling MS on this per se, I'm calling Ubisoft, because they clearly have a stronger relationship with MS or maybe certain clauses are stronger or should be adhered to a bit more strictly under MS's marketing deals??

Why am I saying that?...Have you ever wondered why BlackFlag got a patch to 1080p on Base PS4 and Syndicate got a patch to 1620P on PRO and Unity never did? I think it's clear tbh. Blackflag amongst other AC titles could have launched at 1080p with much better AA on PS4, but yet they launched at 900p....Even now, Syndicate is not 1080p on base PS4 when Ubi said they would patch it in.....Heh!, even the pro patch was a joke when it launched...So you see, Ubisoft are not as inclined to keep to any standards and clauses when they cut marketing deals with Sony...I guess it's pretty much common knowledge that MS's deals/contracts are a bit more strict and demanding in general.

So, it's not strange that Ismail is saying that ACO will look better on XBONEX, on the flip, I don't think any such statement was made for Syndicate on PS4..... It's simply because Ubi is a bit more well knit with MS...... Now, before anybody gets the wrong idea, I have complemented Ubi a lot recently...and though I think the AC guys have a better connection with MS....I'm really impressed with how the other studios have improved from the launch days and have now given performance and resolutions that matches the different platforms more suitably.....Primal, Division, WatchDogs 2, Ghost Recon etc...are all great efforts and should be commended...

3RlVv_f-maxage-0.gif

Fredrik

Nice! Hopefully this will be the norm going forward. :)

With capable hardware I bet the PC version will look better though. But I can't afford to take my PC up to 4K so for me the XBX version will rule for another couple of years.

KageMaru

Does the PC version have HDR? cause if not, I can see why one would classify the XBX version as the most beautiful.

I hope it does. Really disappointing when a game supports HDR on consoles but not on PC. Thankfully that looks to be improving.

Raven77

Nice! Hopefully this will be the norm going forward. :)

With capable hardware I bet the PC version will look better though. But I can't afford to take my PC up to 4K so for me the XBX version will rule for another couple of years.

False he said the x1x is the mostest beautifulest version.

The PC version will be a mess as per usual with Ubisoft ports so not surprising the Xbox One X version will be the best looking. 1080/60 mode aswell apparently so no need for a PC on this game.

Don't care what Ismail calls the Xbox One X version, I'll still be playing it on a PlayStation 4 Pro.

Okay...thanks for letting us know.

As always TLW's posts are a perfect representation of this:
tumblr_o16n2kBlpX1ta3qyvo1_1280.jpg

whenever they talk about partnerships.

I'm sure this had nothing to do with the fact that the 360 was objectively easier to develop for last gen and more to do with favoritism towards MS.
You know...despite all these marketing partnerships with sony that led to exclusive DLC for playstation:

8a9DiZH.png

BenArnold.jpg

Aveline.png

maxresdefault.jpg

large.gif

Webcomic_xkcd_-_Wikipedian_protester.png

It's almost like this is the showcase title for the 1X and it's a good idea to highlight the improvements made like with the launch of any new console that's at the top of the food chain.

All the improvements:

There's an unconfirmed rumor that they're working on a 1080/60fps mode.
Not likely.

LOL, bravo.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Please don't fuck PC players over like Unity.
They didn't screw over PC players with Unity - they screwed over everyone. The game was a mess on all platforms initially. Now, the PC version is far and away the best version.

They didn't screw over PC players with Unity - they screwed over everyone. The game was a mess on all platforms initially. Now, the PC version is far and away the best version.

Yes but also too much was made of the games bugs and issues. It still was a very good game and still to this day one of the best looking most impressive looking game on the consoles. The scale and number of NPC's is almost with out equal on the consoles from 3rd parties

sirap

Do you mean on release, cuz if so I hope that doesn't happen. After it got patched it ran really well relative to hardware that was used.

Yup.

Key word being now. Like you said, it was a mess on all platforms at release.

So yeah, if they're going to spend time making it run and look nice on the XBX, I hope they give the PC version (and other base consoles) the attention it deserves too.

Well, here's the thing...Ubi was always close-knitted with MS and MS hardware than they ever were with Sony...Maybe they prefer MS hardware, but even the first AC was better on 360, though first announced by Sony and where many thought it would be exclusive at the time...Every other AC was better there too and it's understandable, but for something as basic as an AA Solution, Ubisoft kept a vaseline infested Quincunx AA on PS3 for several games, which made all PS3 versions blurrier, they only opted to change it till AC Revelations...

It is definitely not the fact that the GPU in the PS3 was at a disadvantage regarding multi-sample anti-aliasing in comparison to Xenos. It was definitely not because the Quincunx resolve was a way to get near 4X edge quality at the cost of blurring that NV recommended as an option. It was definitely not the AA solution that the incredibly competent developer, Guerilla Games, used in their first PS3 title in 2009. It was definitely not an option that the RSX was touted as having and that any dev worth their salt was knowledgable of.

Nah, it was a fucking a chem trail leading from tales from my ass.

thelastword

Banned
Hey, did I say something about Ubisoft......So I guess all rational thought and proper reading goes out the window with Crossing Eden....I actually like Ubisoft these days and commended them on good work done recently....What's all the hubbub..?

Are you reading what you're quoting?......I said this ...

Every other AC was better there too and it's understandable

Referring to the XBOX 360, and understandable "meaning" it was easier to program for and had a better GPU....it was also the multiplat king, so of course Ubisoft preferred it.

Crossing Eden said:

Yes, because there was no bonus content for AC on XBOX 360 ever.....Also, that still does not negate the fact that they preferred MS hardware....So much so, that they made Durango their base hardware before these consoles launched in late 2013, coming off the success of 360, no less.........

Crossing Eden said:
And No...This is a multiplat that is on PC, PRO and XBONEX, it cannot be a showcase title for the hardware, when there will be a better version available on PC at a higher refresh. Usually, you would need to peg an exclusive to show this on a new console.

Even now, you don't know how big the divide will be in this title on PRO vs XBONEX, yes there should be a discernible difference on XBONEX, but so far all we have is marketing and yes, we know Yves likes the system, but dont go calling Origins a showcase on the system when you have not seen the other versions. This is a multiplat, it should look good on all the high end platfroms.

Hey, did I say something about Ubisoft......So I guess all rational thought and proper reading goes out the window with Crossing Eden....I actually like Ubisoft these days and commended them on good work done recently....What's all the hubbub..?

Are you reading what you're quoting?......I said this ...

Referring to the XBOX 360, and understandable "meaning" it was easier to program for and had a better GPU....it was also the multiplat king, so of course Ubisoft preferred it.

Yes, because there was no bonus content for AC on XBOX 360 ever.....Also, that still does not negate the fact that they preferred MS hardware....So much so, that they made Durango their base hardware before these consoles launched in late 2013, coming off the success of 360, no less.........

And No...This is a multiplat that is on PC, PRO and XBONEX, it cannot be a showcase title for the hardware, when there will be a better version available on PC at a higher refresh. Usually, you would need to peg an exclusive to show this on a new console.

Even now, you don't know how big the divide will be in this title on PRO vs XBONEX, yes there should be a discernible difference on XBONEX, but so far all we have is marketing and yes, we know Yves likes the system, but dont go calling Origins a showcase on the system when you have not seen the other versions. This is a multiplat, it should look good on all the high end platfroms.

But the guy in the interview did and I'm sure he'd know a thing or two about what it looks like. I don't see the big deal here. It should look good on all, true, but according to him it looks particularly good on the One X.

thelastword

Banned
It is definitely not the fact that the GPU in the PS3 was at a disadvantage regarding multi-sample anti-aliasing in comparison to Xenos. It was definitely not because the Quincunx resolve was a way to get near 4X edge quality at the cost of blurring that NV recommended as an option. It was definitely not the AA solution that the incredibly competent developer, Guerilla Games, used in their first PS3 title in 2009. It was definitely not an option that the RSX was touted as having and that any dev worth their salt was knowledgable of.

Nah, it was a fucking a chem trail leading from tales from my ass.
Yes, because no other multiplat had MSAA on the PS3, no game had any form of AA not Quincunx...

Hell, no AA would have been better than Quincunx on these titles, since they were bright, colorful, sunny, large vista,...as you proceed to climb that building to "Show me the entire map from this roof here" whydon'tya....

And you compare that to where Quincunxx actually works...In a "dreary, war-torn, grey, almost monochrome type setting with minimal color and men with masks, lots of pp and effects and you wonder why people praised quincunx there and not the prior? The only game where Quincunx had a place last gen was in Killzone 2...

So much so that the brighter and more colorful Killzone 3 used MLAA......Eh.

KageMaru

Where do you get this from? I looked and couldn't find anything that indicated this. It makes even less sense considering it was clear Ubisoft thought current gen consoles would be stronger than they turned out to be. Watch Dogs saw a massive downgrade, the Division saw some minor downgrades, and Unity was designed beyond the capabilities of the XBO and PS4.

Even now, you don't know how big the divide will be in this title on PRO vs XBONEX, yes there should be a discernible difference on XBONEX, but so far all we have is marketing and yes, we know Yves likes the system, but dont go calling Origins a showcase on the system when you have not seen the other versions. This is a multiplat, it should look good on all the high end platforms.

Who are you to determine what can and cannot be a showcase title? It doesn't matter if something is multiplatform, that doesn't stop it from being considered a showcase title. Rise of the Tomb Raider was considered a showcase title for the Pro and that's multiplatform.

Also just because the 1X version looks the best, that doesn't mean the other versions look bad. It can look good on the Pro but still the best on the 1X.

Yes, because no other multiplat had MSAA on the PS3, no game had any form of AA not Quincunx...

Hell, no AA would have been better than Quincunx on these titles, since they were bright, colorful, sunny, large vista,...as you proceed to climb that building to "Show me the entire map from this roof here" whydon'tya....

And you compare that to where Quincunxx actually works...In a "dreary, war-torn, grey, almost monochrome type setting with minimal color and men with masks, lots of pp and effects and you wonder why people praised quincunx there and not the prior? The only game where Quincunx had a place last gen was in Killzone 2...

So much so that the brighter and more colorful Killzone 3 used MLAA......Eh.

I've seen few people move the goalpost like you. Nothing you say here disputes what Dictator said. QAA was widely used for a reason early in the PS3's life cycle.

Also I'd bet you that GG switched to MLAA, not because they thought it was better, but because it saved them some GPU performance and memory. Remember MSAA, which QAA shared characteristics with, is very expensive when used with deferred rendering.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
While still presenting playstation centric irrational theories.

Are you reading what you're quoting?......I said this...

The point is that it wasn't that they were more closely knit with MS it's just that had an easier time while still promoting the PS3 versions heavily with exclusive content. Has nothing to do with resolutions, performance, etc.

Yes, because there was no bonus content for AC on XBOX 360 ever.....
There genuinely wasn't.

Also, that still does not negate the fact that they preferred MS hardware....So much so, that they made Durango their base hardware before these consoles launched in late 2013, coming off the success of 360, no less.........
I imagine developing on an easier platform to develop for will lead to some form of preference among devs.

I don't see another title that would be filling that role compared to how hard they're pushing AC:O on the new xbox. It's basically a ROTR situation without the exclusivity.

I mean i'm probably buying a PS4 pro for the game but doesn't mean I'm not looking forward to seeing the differences and ESPECIALLY the stuff they're gonna do with the PC port. At best i'm expecting the pro version to have similar improvements but to a lesser degree.

Top Bottom