• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin’s Creed Origins Director Calls Xbox One X Version ‘Most Beautiful Version’

Yo PC fans it's obvious you have a stronger machine than 1X, there's no need for incessant validation when consoles are the only area where the question even exists

Is announcing that the XOX version is the better looking console version any less of an example of superfluous validation? :)

Duderino

People put way too much stock in PR on this subject. Just look at the games and the visuals on display. If you really want to know what a system is capable of, marketing is not the place to go to for answers. better to listen to the developers actually pushing the box by, more importantly, advancing their own rendering tech.

Head.spawn

Well, here's the thing...When Ubi striked a deal with MS for AC unity with a weaker console, they said "They are all about parity across systems"..in essence, the PS4 version would never see a better resolution over MS's console......

Now, they have another deal with MS on Origins where MS has the stronger console...Ubi declares "Parity be damned, this is the most beautiful version of the game based on this new XBOX POWAH".....

How does Assassin's Creed: Syndicate factor into this devious plot of Ubi ? which was also still 900p on both consoles, yet Sony had the exclusive marketing deal.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
How does Assassin's Creed: Syndicate factor into this devious plot of Ubi ? which was also still 900p on both consoles, yet Sony had the exclusive marketing deal.
I'm fairly sure I've asked that question plenty of times over the last two years and never got an answer

KageMaru

With Watch Dogs 2 supporting CBR on PC, I wonder what the chances are ACO will do the same. I really need to catch up on this series, especially since this looks to be the most interesting AC since the second one.

jryeje29

Don't see what the big deal is, it's all marketing, even of the PC version only looked as good as the Xbox one x version we'll all be fine. It's different then saying everything but the one x version is inferior.

AC PC versions have been great since Brotherhood so I don't know what all the worry is about. Unity was fucked on all platforms due to fundamental issues with the engine and game itself and how demanding it was.

Well, here's the thing...When Ubi striked a deal with MS for AC unity with a weaker console, they said "They are all about parity across systems"..in essence, the PS4 version would never see a better resolution over MS's console......

Now, they have another deal with MS on Origins where MS has the stronger console...Ubi declares "Parity be damned, this is the most beautiful version of the game based on this new XBOX POWAH".....

It will be interesting to see the other versions side by side though, at MS E3 conference when the dev showed the game on XBONEX, most people thought it was a native 4k presentation.....since it read, "Play it in 4k Ultra HD and HDR".....Every one thought it would be uncompressed pixels.....

I do expect the XBONEX to have some sheen though, if they could make Unity on XB1 run at the same resolution and a better framerate over the PS4 (a mean feat, no doubt)..I'm sure they can do something to honor the deal they have with MS on more powerful hardware...

There's no reason to believe Microsoft were at fault for it given that Syndicate, the Sony co-marketed AC, had the exact same issues and I can't think of any other Microsoft co-marketed games that were held back on PS4 to ensure parity. I think the far more likely reason is Ubisoft were absolute idiots and thought stifling debate surrounding the differences between versions was more important than taking advantage of the PS4's superior hardware.

Tarrin

Sounds about right when comparing Pro to X1.

There will be, hm, maybe 6-7mil consoles between Pro and Scorpio (estimating here), compared to 90mil PS4/X1S? (60m to 30m).
Hopefully the game runs and looks decent on the standard PS4 and Xbox One S, as those are the majority.

Severianb

Did they cancel the PC version?

Well 90% of PC s if not more will run the game much worse than a X1X, so in the real world, yes, the X1X version is the most beautiful.

When are high end PC gamers going to figure out they are a fringe group that doesn't count?

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Well 90% of PC s if not more will run the game much worse than a X1X, so in the real world, yes, the X1X version is the most beautiful.

When are high end PC gamers going to figure out they are a fringe group that doesn't count?

Good point, but that still means the xb1x isnt the most beautiful version overall

MrBS

That's certainly an Ubisoft statement. Running out of time for an eleventh hour PC delay too, trying not to get my hopes up that it wont happen.

BigEmil

And some of those users with lower visual settings will play at 60fps. Can't get anymore beautiful than that

I dont get why this riles people up, its just pr speak, we know the pc version run at ultra at 60 plus fps will look better but in terms of consoles hes not wrong

Considering he's talking about a high end console revision that hasn't even released what makes you think its userbase, come the game's launch will dwarf the high end pc user numbers by so much that they wont even count?

90 % of the people will also play on hardware thats weaker than the x, so if being a small margin of the total userbase eliminates high end pcs, it does the same for xb1x.

His statement is based on tech, not sales or public reach, neither of which are known for xb1x btw. And as far as tech goes, pc will be the best looking version so long as a single person on the planet can play it.

The thread is so weird, people attacking pc users who seek validation because theyre coming in the way of future xb1x users seeking the exact same validation. Don't worry im sure the DF thread will give you plenty to gloat about since they always delay the pc version.Nobody is stopping people from getting their money's worth from the xb1x just because you cant proclaim its the best looking version.

I dont get why this riles people up, its just pr speak, we know the pc version run at ultra at 60 plus fps will look better but in terms of consoles hes not wrong

Because theres always reason to be worried over ubisoft's pc ports and statements like these don't help

thelastword

Banned
There's no reason to believe Microsoft were at fault for it given that Syndicate, the Sony co-marketed AC, had the exact same issues and I can't think of any other Microsoft co-marketed games that were held back on PS4 to ensure parity. I think the far more likely reason is Ubisoft were absolute idiots and thought stifling debate surrounding the differences between versions was more important than taking advantage of the PS4's superior hardware.
Well, here's the thing...Ubi was always close-knitted with MS and MS hardware than they ever were with Sony...Maybe they prefer MS hardware, but even the first AC was better on 360, though first announced by Sony and where many thought it would be exclusive at the time...Every other AC was better there too and it's understandable, but for something as basic as an AA Solution, Ubisoft kept a vaseline infested Quincunx AA on PS3 for several games, which made all PS3 versions blurrier, they only opted to change it till AC Revelations...

That was just a bit of history though. Beginning this gen, Ubisoft's model for development was based on XB1 hardware, maybe they thought it would be just as successful as the 360 seeing all the success their AC franchise received on that platform, but Black Flag was 900p, so was Unity and Syndicate...and of course we had titles like WatchDogs which had to be scaled slightly below 900p on XB1 because of the GPU...All these games were 900p on PS4 as well...Now, I'm not calling MS on this per se, I'm calling Ubisoft, because they clearly have a stronger relationship with MS or maybe certain clauses are stronger or should be adhered to a bit more strictly under MS's marketing deals??

Why am I saying that?...Have you ever wondered why BlackFlag got a patch to 1080p on Base PS4 and Syndicate got a patch to 1620P on PRO and Unity never did? I think it's clear tbh. Blackflag amongst other AC titles could have launched at 1080p with much better AA on PS4, but yet they launched at 900p....Even now, Syndicate is not 1080p on base PS4 when Ubi said they would patch it in.....Heh!, even the pro patch was a joke when it launched...So you see, Ubisoft are not as inclined to keep to any standards and clauses when they cut marketing deals with Sony...I guess it's pretty much common knowledge that MS's deals/contracts are a bit more strict and demanding in general.

So, it's not strange that Ismail is saying that ACO will look better on XBONEX, on the flip, I don't think any such statement was made for Syndicate on PS4..... It's simply because Ubi is a bit more well knit with MS...... Now, before anybody gets the wrong idea, I have complemented Ubi a lot recently...and though I think the AC guys have a better connection with MS....I'm really impressed with how the other studios have improved from the launch days and have now given performance and resolutions that matches the different platforms more suitably.....Primal, Division, WatchDogs 2, Ghost Recon etc...are all great efforts and should be commended...

statham

Well, here's the thing...Ubi was always close-knitted with MS and MS hardware than they ever were with Sony...Maybe they prefer MS hardware, but even the first AC was better on 360, though first announced by Sony and where many thought it would be exclusive at the time...Every other AC was better there too and it's understandable, but for something as basic as an AA Solution, Ubisoft kept a vaseline infested Quincunx AA on PS3 for several games, which made all PS3 versions blurrier, they only opted to change it till AC Revelations...

That was just a bit of history though. Beginning this gen, Ubisoft's model for development was based on XB1 hardware, maybe they thought it would be just as successful as the 360 seeing all the success their AC franchise received on that platform, but Black Flag was 900p, so was Unity and Syndicate...and of course we had titles like WatchDogs which had to be scaled slightly below 900p on XB1 because of the GPU...All these games were 900p on PS4 as well...Now, I'm not calling MS on this per se, I'm calling Ubisoft, because they clearly have a stronger relationship with MS or maybe certain clauses are stronger or should be adhered too a bit more under MS's marketing deals??

Why am I saying that?...Have you ever wondered why BlackFlag got a patch to 1080p on Base PS4 and Syndicate got a patch to 1620P on PRO and Unity never did? I think it's clear tbh. Blackflag amongst other AC titles could have launched at 1080p with much better AA, but yet they launched at 900p....even now, Syndicate is not 1080p on base PS4 when Ubi said they would patch it in, heh!, even the pro patch was a joke when it launched...So you see, Ubisoft are not as inclined to keep to any standards and clauses when they cut marketing deals with Sony...I guess it's pretty much common knowledge that MS's deals/contracts are a bit more strict and demanding in general.

So, it's not strange that Ismail is saying that ACO will look better on XBONEX, yet, I don't think any such statement was made for Syndicate on PS4..... It's simply because Ubi is a bit more well knit with MS...... Now, before anybody gets the wrong idea, I have complemented Ubi a lot recently...and though I think the AC guys have a better connection with MS....I'm really impressed with how the other studios have improved from the launch days and have now given performance and resolutions that matches the different platforms more suitably.....Primal, Division, WatchDogs 2, Ghost Recon etc...are all great efforts and should be commended...
fo shizzle. *someone shoot me in the head** right on! last word!

Head.spawn

That was just a bit of history though. Beginning this gen, Ubisoft's model for development was based on XB1 hardware, maybe they thought it would be just as successful as the 360 seeing all the success their AC franchise received on that platform, but Black Flag was 900p, so was Unity and Syndicate...and of course we had titles like WatchDogs which had to be scaled slightly below 900p on XB1 because of the GPU...All these games were 900p on PS4 as well...Now, I'm not calling MS on this per se, I'm calling Ubisoft, because they clearly have a stronger relationship with MS or maybe certain clauses are stronger or should be adhered to a bit more strictly under MS's marketing deals??

Why am I saying that?...Have you ever wondered why BlackFlag got a patch to 1080p on Base PS4 and Syndicate got a patch to 1620P on PRO and Unity never did? I think it's clear tbh. Blackflag amongst other AC titles could have launched at 1080p with much better AA on PS4, but yet they launched at 900p....Even now, Syndicate is not 1080p on base PS4 when Ubi said they would patch it in.....Heh!, even the pro patch was a joke when it launched...So you see, Ubisoft are not as inclined to keep to any standards and clauses when they cut marketing deals with Sony...I guess it's pretty much common knowledge that MS's deals/contracts are a bit more strict and demanding in general.

So, it's not strange that Ismail is saying that ACO will look better on XBONEX, on the flip, I don't think any such statement was made for Syndicate on PS4..... It's simply because Ubi is a bit more well knit with MS...... Now, before anybody gets the wrong idea, I have complemented Ubi a lot recently...and though I think the AC guys have a better connection with MS....I'm really impressed with how the other studios have improved from the launch days and have now given performance and resolutions that matches the different platforms more suitably.....Primal, Division, WatchDogs 2, Ghost Recon etc...are all great efforts and should be commended...

If AC Unity gets an Xbox One X update and PS4 Pro doesn't, I'll consider it a valid point.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Don't care what Ismail calls the Xbox One X version, I'll still be playing it on a PlayStation 4 Pro.

Astral Dog

Generally speaking, game companies never mention the PC version when making comparisons. It's all down to the console wars.

At this point, I'm honestly kind of curious about... er.. do we start calling it last-gen at some point? The OG XBO and PS4. What's the worst-looking version of the game?
Between ONE S and PS4? 🤔

Thebonehead

Banned

Chillax brother.

Tosyn_88

I feel like pc gaming sits in this awkward zone where it's expected to take over consoles and usher in a promise of great gaming experience with no barriers. Problem has always been that it's potential just remains...well, a potential.
As far as the major publishers are concerned, console still get first priority and honestly, I don't see it changing soon

A 4 pages thread based on an offshoot comment probably directed from the marketing team of said company.

It's like Apple calling their iDevices the 'best most magical ever' and we have a 100 pages thread on it.......wait, i think that probably happened.

Frostman

The 1X version will look beautiful, but I much prefer games at 60fps. So let's hope my PC can run it well on release.

Colbert

Banned
If only he said "most beautiful console version" that would have eliminated the need for many of the posts here. I'm sure that's what he meant but still, when making comments like this these people need to keep in mind that context is key.

Or the people that made the interview could have added context by squared brackets with "console". Lazy editors and not much fault by the dev imo.

Scanna

Did they announce some form of 1080p mode for the game on XOX? Or are we just going to get supersample on 1080p screens? I'd love this game to get the same treatment of Tomb Raider...

GRaider81

Interesting, I'm not sure if I should get the most beautiful version or the 4k/1440p 60fps version.

Might just get it on X to see this in person.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
No issues with their statement, it makes sense that the most powerful console has the better version. I just hope the Pro version is also up to par.

Yo PC fans it's obvious you have a stronger machine than 1X, there's no need for incessant validation when consoles are the only area where the question even exists

Every time a new console launches they get extremely flustered. It's kind of funny and sad at the same time especially considering it's grown ups arguing about how my toy is better than your toy lol.

I also love how every PC gamer online has a 1080 and can run every game at 4k/60fps/ULTRA SETTINGS!! Most of them probably own a 1060 at best.

Lister

Banned

The number of PC's capable of equaling or beating an X1X is >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> the number of X1x's today (which is near zero).

The number of PC's capable of beating an X1X a year from now >>>>>>>>>>> than the number of X1X's in a year.

It's going to take a while for the X1X to catch up, if it ever does so if the PC "doesn't count" then I guess we might as well write off the X1X too.

In the ACTUAL real world where fanboy imaginations aren't reality, you are 100% incorrect.

Lister

Banned
Every time a new console launches they get extremely flustered. It's kind of funny and sad at the same time especially considering it's grown ups arguing about how my toy is better than your toy lol.

I also love how every PC gamer online has a 1080 and can run every game at 4k/60fps/ULTRA SETTINGS!! Most of them probably own a 1060 at best.

A 1060 OC'ed is a good match for the Xbone X.

Laughable how you ignore the fanboys doing the console warrior bullshit though.

KageMaru

I think we all have the right idea about you. It's clear you have no idea what you're talking about.

Or the people that made the interview could have added context by squared brackets with "console". Lazy editors and not much fault by the dev imo.

Yeah that's true. I don't really blame the developer. They usually don't keep sensitive platform fans in mind and they shouldn't have to.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
As always TLW's posts are a perfect representation of this:
tumblr_o16n2kBlpX1ta3qyvo1_1280.jpg

whenever they talk about partnerships.

I'm sure this had nothing to do with the fact that the 360 was objectively easier to develop for last gen and more to do with favoritism towards MS.
You know...despite all these marketing partnerships with sony that led to exclusive DLC for playstation:

8a9DiZH.png

BenArnold.jpg

Aveline.png

maxresdefault.jpg

But yea yea they were always more closely knit with MS.

large.gif

Webcomic_xkcd_-_Wikipedian_protester.png

It's almost like this is the showcase title for the 1X and it's a good idea to highlight the improvements made like with the launch of any new console that's at the top of the food chain.

Did they announce some form of 1080p mode for the game on XOX? Or are we just going to get supersample on 1080p screens? I'd love this game to get the same treatment of Tomb Raider...
All the improvements:
Assassin's Creed Origins uses the power of the Scorpio engine to render the game in 4K
resolution on 4K-capable screens. 4K allows us to make the work of our teams really stand
out as we can display more of the details and textures they created. For players without 4K
screens, the fact that the game renders in 4K will result in an oversampled image of higher
quality on their 1080p displays.

With the Dolby Atmos feature, players will feel right at the center of Ancient Egypt, hearing
more details with greater sound fidelity such as flocks of birds flying overhead for a unique
immersive experience.

With HDR, skies appear more realistic than ever with tons of subtle color change in the blues.
Sunsets look spectacular and torches and fire effects are displayed more vibrantly and
beautifully. Shadows now use bigger texture buffers to appear sharper and more detailed than on any other console version.

The Draw Distance of elements like grass, plants, pebbles and flowers are twice as far on the
Xbox One X as on the Xbox One. And due to the greater amount of memory and more powerful CPU of the Xbox One X,
Assassin's Creed Origins can maintain higher quality architectural models, vegetation, rocks and display them at longer draw
distances in dense environments like the grand cities of Alexandria and Memphis.

Thanks to the additional memory of the Xbox One X console, the game will allow for faster transitions from Senu to Bayek.
The world around Senu and Bayek is constantly loaded in memory, so that when the player comes back to Bayek from Senu after viewing
the world and its opportunities, the transition feels instantaneous.

There's an unconfirmed rumor that they're working on a 1080/60fps mode.
Not likely.

Top Bottom