• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassins Creed IV: Black Flag dated (Oct 29th), next-gen versions confirmed

RoKKeR

Wait, so coming to next gen consoles on October 29th? It can't be that easy, can it? Both consoles will be out by then?

I must be misreading.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Damn Ubisoft never learns on releasing Ass Creed...

That shit is gonna get halved for Black Friday

No clue on the $69.99 editions, hopefully they are too

Incoming $30-$35 3 weeks after release

RoKKeR

Late port? That's what I'm getting.

"Also coming to next gen consoles...at a later date"

Right, I think that's what I was trying to get at. I read it as "Coming to next gen consoles October 29th" which would confirm both would be out by then, but I think "also" is the right word here.

udivision

I was going to say it's typically the yearly sports games that end up on every console that make up most of the cross-gen titles, but I guess AC is yearly now too. I've probably spent too much time in Nintendo land to have a normal view of a console launch but the only cross-gen title that was a big deal at launch that I can remember was Twilight Princess.

Blueblur1

It'll probably play just like AC3 which played liked every other game in the series (except for the addition of tree and rock climbing). It would be nice to play an AC game that controlled differently. All the characters feel the same: slow and clunky. :/

Toa TAK

Banned
Cool, I'll be getting it for the nextbox probably. Always happy for another AC game. Especially with pirates.

Dmax3901

I'm one of those people who thinks Brotherhood was awesome, Revelations not so much but still worthwhile and was hyped as anyone for AC3.

After playing AC3 I now care very little about this series, which is a shame. So many steps backwards in one game. Even the already pretty batshit story became too batshit for me to handle.

So now that we know another game (a numbered one, no less) is coming out less than a year later?

Unless reviews/GAF members persuade me otherwise, I'm done.

Meelow

Banned
The WiiU is the next generation Nintendo console.

Lets leave it at that.

But than you can easily say PS4 is the next generation Sony console and Xbox 720 is the next generation Microsoft console...

Anyway, PS4/720 are new next gen consoles, that's why they are listed as "next gen versions confirmed"

Wii U is also next gen.

I rather not bring up this discussion back though.

Blueblur1

I'd be down for an Assassin's Creed game that just ignored the whole animus thing and just played completely in its "past" setting. It's infinitely more interesting than the stupid overarching story they keep wasting time on.

I'd be down for an Assassin's Creed game that just ignored the whole animus thing and just played completely in its "past" setting. It's infinitely more interesting than the stupid overarching story they keep wasting time on.

But then where would the HUD come from?!

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.

Overarching story is their final segway towards...

Assassin's Creed X: Modern Warfare

Assassin's Creed XII: Future Warfare

Assassin's Creed XV: Rebirth...

it really says something about the industry when a game's preorder bonus and box cover is released before an actual trailer..

Also, the name would be quite punny when it's eventually pirates get their hands on it

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
I mean, just because the game is further in the past doesn't "make" it a prequel. It's AC4. Moving the series forward. A prequel would be like, Desmonds a kid or something

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I mean, just because the game is further in the past doesn't "make" it a prequel. It's AC4. Moving the series forward. A prequel would be like, Desmonds a kid or something

It's a prequel in the sense that it's going to focus on Haythem's history. Basically (from rumor's) it's focusing on Haythem's dad right now, which will tie into
Haythem's birth in Britian or the Carribean and explain why Haythem went to the Templars instead of staying with the Assassin's like his father did(?)

In fact, this is kinda the direction I was hoping they'd go in: Focus more on the Templar's backstory instead of doing a new meta-plot, they already fucked that up with AC3's ending, so I hope they focus more on the universe building instead of the sci-fi meta-plot.

Also those of you up in arms about the exclusive gameplay shit, it'll never be important to the main story and isn't really worth wading through. Brotherhood's wasn't, Revelations wasn't, 3's wasn't... it won't be changed here I'm sure. It'll be more fetch/go-here-kill-them missions with no story-impact. Don't worry.

Not feeling the whole "4" thing. I mean, isn't it a bit too soon?
Hell, it feels like 3 came out 7 or so months ago.
Still, I want to see more.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
But then where would the HUD come from?!

There's little need for the HUD outside of a mini-map, really. Let's use Assassin's Creed 2 as an example:

- Health could be determined by Ezio's stance. If he's standing and bracing himself normally, he's fine; if he appears wounded and has a slower gait, he needs medicine
- Ammo count could be determined by the amount of ammunition shown on the various belts Ezio keeps strapped to his person
- The Animus map could be replaced by Ezio's own map that is updated as he scales view points
- Target markers and other visual identification elements could be ditched in favour Eagle Vision a la the original game

Symphonic

I feel like this should be Assassin's Creed III Black Flag, they hyped up III for so long and it just seems weird that they're just dropping this like it's nothing.

gah, let's hope pc version isn't double delayed after regular and next gen consoles (we all know next gen consoles won't hit until november for the earliest)

Ahasverus

I feel like this should be Assassin's Creed III Black Flag, they hyped up III for so long and it just seems weird that they're just dropping this like it's nothing.

Yep. That's what bothers me the MOST. Numbered titles should be a radical departure, not a "natural evolution", and I could argue this is not natural by any means.

This game is Assassins Creed III: Black Flags.
If it's not 30 hours with sky rocket production values and massive steps on the storyline don't try to argue with that, Ubisoft.

JoshHood

it really says something about the industry when a game's preorder bonus and box cover is released before an actual trailer..

Also, the name would be quite punny when it's eventually pirates get their hands on it

It actually happens pretty often, usually with Ubi but occassionally EA.

Liberation on Vita plays like that until the very very end.
So wait, is the 60 min exclusive for the PS3 and PS4?
Probably. That's how it is working with Destiny.

LOCK

They added the 4, because they think the 3 in AC3 helped move units. Duh.

Really this is AC: Black Flag.

Will get for the Wii U.

Toa TAK

Banned
Yep. That's what bothers me the MOST. Numbered titles should be a radical departure, not a "natural evolution", and I could argue this is not natural by any means.

This game is Assassins Creed III: Black Flags.
If it's not 30 hours with sky rocket production values and massive steps on the storyline don't try to argue with that, Ubisoft.

This. I hope that since it's number 4 it's very different from 3 as 1 to 2 was.

But I really doubt it as well. And as someone who really liked Connor, it's worse to not see him come back.

Given fan response to Haytham, I'd think it's almost certain this is a prequel, leading into a full game staring him and developing his backstory.
You'd imagine that this game would've been well in the works before fan response for Haytham was even possible, though.

Development on this game probably began in early 2012.

Top Bottom