• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag Debut Trailer [Update: Leaked Screenshots In OP]

In the first Assassin's Creed, you disguise yourself as a monk/scholar so that you can appear non-violent and stealth about in broad daylight, collecting information on your target and planning the perfect assassination.

Fast forward a few years, you have a protagonist dressed in completely nonsensical attire for the period, armed to the teeth, aggressive as a barbarian, flying a fucking Assassin flag on his fucking huge ass ship.

Gatdamn.

The Lamp

In the first Assassin's Creed, you disguise yourself as a monk/scholar so that you can appear non-violent and stealth about in broad daylight, collecting information on your target and planning the perfect assassination.

Fast forward a few years, you have a protagonist dressed in completely nonsensical attire for the period, armed to the teeth, aggressive as a barbarian, flying a fucking Assassin flag on his fucking huge ass ship.

Gatdamn.

It's what sells man :(

Gatdamn.

Yeah, I'm not really sure what this series is about anymore.

Gatdamn.

=(

I'm fine with more action, but I miss the stealth, planning, and assassinations. I also miss the feeling of blending in.

Mario007

Gatdamn.
Honestly I don't think the assassin's creed,so to say, is at the core of AC games anymore. It was very obvious in the shift from AC to AC2 and while Brotherhood and Revelations brought some of it back AC3 and AC4 are about as far away from what AC was supposed to be about as a franchise as you can get. AC have basically become a random historical location GTA with bad guys called templars and good guys called assassins. Oh and you can climb shit, but even that is being diminished.

Can't say I like the art direction in this at all.
Hopefully third parties don't seriously think better cinematics are going to drive next gen, right?

Screenshots look pretty meh but their not exactly good quality.

GAF next gen version will be like the PC one with just better IQ and Effects. Everything else will be the same because it's a MULTIPLATFORM game that has to cater to PS360.

frontovik

Banned
Well, it's evident that Ubisoft intends to milk the franchise for all it is worth. Going to wait for it to drop into the bargain bin/steam sale.

Kinyou

Imgur is down so uploaded onto Minus:
jbrzr40OVIPeJh.jpg
I'd bet $10 that there won't be any gun smoke like this in the game (if any at all)

Its just so hard for me to get into this... AC3 was the worst in the series IMO, and it just really failed to bring the fun of AC2 and ACB.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
I'd bet $10 that there won't be any gun smoke like this in the game (if any at all)

No doubt. It's added in later and makes no sense physically unless there is no wind at all and he is standing in the same pose for a few seconds.

Hex

Banned
I think these are almost intentional.
The images are tiny for the most part and get people talking.
Monday people will be all over every bit of it, full sized high res yumminess, peoples impressions getting hit after hit.
Viral at its best.

Amir0x

Banned
I don't have much hope for anything in this game except there will obviously be TONS OF NAVAL BATTLES, which was the best part of ACIII so!

Imgur is down so uploaded onto Minus:

jbrzr40OVIPeJh.jpg

Why didn't they bother to texture the bottom of the boot?

Seriously, there is tree running?

HOW DOES THAT MAKES SENSE CANONICALLY, UBI?

It's an annual game. They aren't going to bother creating new animations for each game. We might get one new feature added to each mechanic. Combat, it seems like it will be dual wielding. Traversal, i bet vine swinging or something weird Tarzan style. Stealth, I'm hoping for a damn crouch button. lol.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
GAF next gen version will be like the PC one with just better IQ and Effects. Everything else will be the same because it's a MULTIPLATFORM game that has to cater to PS360.

You expect the PC version to compare unfavourably to the PS4/Nextbox versions?

Talon

Oh good.

I'm sure the Assassin's Creed team will totally come up with a not too frustrating control scheme for the swimming sequences.

Totally.

Jeels

By the way, to everyone saying: "if only PS4 version will look like that!"

This looks completely like AC3:Liberations on The Vita, lol:

acl_screenshot_02tcm1953980_thumb.jpg

And the foliage in the jungle look compeletly retarded in those AC4 pics!

That is not how AC3: Liberation looks.

Try direct feed:
http://i.imgur.com/RmbeP.jpg
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_me4g5zIRR51r16zy1o1_500.jpg
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mdni2m08b71r16zy1o1_500.jpg

So yes, if it can look as good as bull shots, that'll be a huge achievement.

L1NETT

Unless there are underwater assassinations, I am not interested. AC is becoming less and less about assassination , which made the first few games so much fun and more about useless gimmicks. Tower defense thing in ACR, hiring new assassin order, naval stuff, hunting

Hopefully AC IV: The madness of My little Mermaid DLC may be created.

Trickster

I'm interested to see how deep they'll go with this mechanic since the swimmer obviously has to hold his breath and you can't go very far down for too long with just a breath of air....

Not if you're untrained no, but there are pearl divers that make their living by gathering pearls from clams, and those guys dive for several minutes at a time, with no equipment helping them.

Talon

Unless there are underwater assassinations, I am not interested. AC is becoming less and less about assassination , which made the first few games so much fun and more about useless gimmicks. Tower defense thing in ACR, hiring new assassin order, naval stuff, hunting

Hopefully AC IV: The madness of My little Mermaid DLC may be created.
AC:B had the best of both worlds though. ACII's town mechanics were great but cheesy after about 60% through the game.

You got a more advanced town mechanic in AC:B plus the Assassin's Order was actually fun and useful for in-game activities.

The tower defense shit sucked in AC:R, universally.

I quit playing ACIII about 6 hours in, so I can't really say too much about the side story stuff. Other than that I got stuck in the woods for about two of those hours.

tha_devil

I'm interested to see how deep they'll go with this mechanic since the swimmer obviously has to hold his breath and you can't go very far down for too long with just a breath of air....

This will obvious be the same as far cry 3.

Actually they just used the far cry 3 island and hung up a few pirate flags.

Done.

Now what for ac5?

Man, I hope they bring back the city restoration stuff from the older games.. and the shop stuff. I could not get into what they had to offer in AC3 at all. =/

I also hope this game focuses on assassinations. And does away with that stupid costume and makes an effort to reinvent it.

assassins-creed-iv-black-flag-wii-u_002.jpg_640.jpg

underwater swimming confirmed.

Well, ok, thats pretty awesome.

Kinyou

I never played AC3 but...why does there have to be a canonical explanation for running on tree branches?
I think the idea in AC3 was that only the native americans really knew how to traverse trees like that.

In the beginning of the game (rather minor spoiler)
you play for a short while as a non-native american Assassin who is unable to use trees like Connor

Top Bottom