• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag Debut Trailer [Update: Leaked Screenshots In OP]

Avixph

They better have Dominican Republic or the whole Hispaniola island in the game.
j9W7Bvc.gif

RoKKeR

I find it hilarious that this game still has the word "Assassin" in it. Remember back in AC1 and 2 where you would actually spend a significant amount of time "assassinating" people? To a lesser extent in two, but it was still a core part of the game.

Now it has become "How many weapons can one man fit on his hilarious out-of-place outfit to brutally murder countless foes Creed IV: PIRATES!"

Elios83

Yes the combat looks the same as ever, they have recycled naval battles and now you can experience tree running in da jungle! But there's underwater swimming this time!

Bah :/ as I expected unfortunately.

I'm not feeling the hype on this game for some reason, which is weird, since I bought every other game in the series on day one. I might just wait this one out until a price drop. Besides, I'm not sure how they could top Assassin's Creed III.

I tried to keep it down to early 18th century dudes. If we go outside of that there's A LOT more material to work with.

Early 18th century is a fair range. After all, if we look at info from the AC: Forsaken novel, we can deduce the likely time period. Haytham was born in 1725, when Edward retired in London. Haytham's half-sister Jenny was over 10 years older than Haytham (Possibly age 21 when he was 8), so we can peg her date of birth at around 1710-1714. Blackbeard was in the trailer, and he was active from 1716 to 1718, so we can probably assume that Edward was also active during that time. So with the previous info in mind, I guess we can say that the possible time period could span from 169X-1725?

Along with who you mentioned before, there are a number of famous pirates who could make an appearance: Black Bart, Stede Bonnet, Captain Kidd, Samuel Bellamy, Henry Every.

KillGore

They better have Dominican Republic or the whole Hispaniola island in the game.
j9W7Bvc.gif

It would be amazing if we could travel across the greater antilles (Cuba, Hispaniola, Jamaica and Puerto Rico) but I bet it'll be only Cuba, Jamaica and the Bahamas like the leak says.

Edit: MAYBE Haiti.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I'm not feeling the hype on this game for some reason, which is weird, since I bought every other game in the series on day one. I might just wait this one out until a price drop. Besides, I'm not sure how they could top Assassin's Creed III.

By returning the concepts of assassination to the core of the game. The franchise is a guilty pleasure of mine, however there's no denying that beginning with AssCreed 2 you were no longer an assassin but an omniscient and gaudy murderer.

Tagg9

By returning the concepts of assassination to the core of the game. The franchise is a guilty pleasure of mine, however there's no denying that beginning with AssCreed 2 you were no longer an assassin but an omniscient and gaudy murderer.

Based on the CGI trailer, this isn't likely to change.

ezekial45

Banned
It's pulling me back. :(

I don't want to get hurt again. ACR stung, but ACIII was like a punch to the face. Please, please, please take all the criticisms from ACIII and make it right, Ubisoft.

jfny6jY0O7GQs.jpg

Just use a fucking shield for once, Jesus Christ. Would it kill you to have a small buckler or something? Why do you have to stab that guy twice with a giant cutlass? Once will do the trick, trust me.

Just since no-one seems to have said it:

"Nothing is embargoed, everything is permitted."

So said the Gaf-Assassin's to the Ubi-Templars.

Prologue

Wasn't there like 3 games with Eizo and similar setting? I think more could have been done with an American time period.

Toa TAK

Banned
Why does this guy look like Connor more than Haytham? Hell, this guy looks like he'd pass as someone named Connor instead of Edward.

He doesn't seem as dark as Connor.

Just since no-one seems to have said it:

"Nothing is embargoed, everything is permitted."

So said the Gaf-Assassin's to the Ubi-Templars.

Awesome.

Wasn't there like 3 games with Eizo and similar setting? I think more could have been done with an American time period.

This was my hope, too.

Just like in AC3, the assassin costume looks dumb. Get rid of it already. And no, the costume isn't the "face" of Assassin's Creed, so you can get rid of it just fine.

Just use a fucking shield for once, Jesus Christ. Would it kill you to have a small buckler or something? Why do you have to stab that guy twice with a giant cutlass? Once will do the trick, trust me.

A shield? A shield wielding assassin...

Come on man, that's a terrible idea.

Squire

Banned

AC3 sold well, but people made there displeasure with it pretty loud and clear. It appears they want to distance themselves from that.

~Kinggi~

Banned
AC3 sold well, but people made there displeasure with it pretty loud and clear. It appears they want to distance themselves from that.

What i dont understand is how they are able to react so fast to fan feedback. I mean technically these games are in production a year before the next comes out. It really takes almost 2 years to develop these games. Not 1. They have multiple teams. So that means they knew 1 year in advance that fan feedback on AC3 would demand something else.

Prologue

I thought people were upset due to the mission layout/structure and the amount of glitches it had at launch?

I'm like 99% sure they have two of these games going at any one time. They might be able to change a few things but I'm sure the general game was always gonna be this way.

Tagg9

I'm like 99% sure they have two of these games going at any one time. They might be able to change a few things but I'm sure the general game was always gonna be this way.

Of course they have two going at the same time. If they didn't, they'd be on a 12-month dev cycle. And they certainly wouldn't show off the game publicly after only 4 months of development.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
What i dont understand is how they are able to react so fast to fan feedback. I mean technically these games are in production a year before the next comes out. It really takes almost 2 years to develop these games. Not 1. They have multiple teams. So that means they knew 1 year in advance that fan feedback on AC3 would demand something else.

ACR was released a year before AC3, and announced at least six months before then. The reaction then was often "argh, more Ezio, same era", so it could be decided then that it should always be a new character/new era, but make side-games or characters in the same era on other platforms such as Vita, comic books, etc. That means the decision could have been taken around two years ago.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Lol every year people complain about AC being a conveyor belt game that they refuse to get hyped for and eventually buy and every year ubisoft proves them wrong. Sigh.

Spongebob

Banned
Disappointing visuals.

I was hoping they would follow what they did with Watch_Dogs where the game is made for next-gen consoles (PS4/720/PC) and ported down to current-gen consoles (PS3/360/WiiU).

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
And no, the costume isn't the "face" of Assassin's Creed, so you can get rid of it just fine.

The costume absolutely is the fact of the franchise. Remove the white hood and the game could look like anything.

~Kinggi~

Banned
ACR was released a year before AC3, and announced at least six months before then. The reaction then was often "argh, more Ezio, same era", so it could be decided then that it should always be a new character/new era, but make side-games or characters in the same era on other platforms such as Vita, comic books, etc. That means the decision could have been taken around two years ago.

This seems likely then.

I would like that, but the ACII approach seems to sell more and review better, so I doubt that's going to change anytime soon =/

Brick

Anyone else not feeling the design for the main character? All of the previous assassins have had really striking and strong designs, and this feels a lit more...plain.

Top Bottom