• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed reaches 2.5 million sold, 5 mill expected. Other stuff delayed

Dunlop said:
good stuff,

Gonna pick it up next week when I am done Mass Effect (My most anticipated game of the year...and most disappointing, it's a very good game but just not great)

After I saw a demo on a 52" plasma, I was hooked.

Plus I live in Montreal so I guess I have to support the home team :D

Support the home team when it deserves the support. This example of incredible mediocrity doesn't warrant much support.

Concept17 said:
ummm no

stop playing video games, please

Because I disagree with you? Perhaps there is more to AC than I figured, I really couldn't see past the pop-up, lag hiccups, and awkward combat in my short play-through. That and about two dozen button combinations, I had no idea what was going on.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
traveler said:
Everyone I know who is a gamer was determined to pick this up well in advance of any of the reviews or ads. While I'm not sure GT's title "Most Hyped Game of the Year" is accurate, it sure is up there. That said, it's pretty disturbing to see audiences rush headlong into purchasing it, regardless of the flaws with the game. On one hand, I'm glad because I think the concept is sound and I'd like to see a sequel with that crap fixed, but, on the other hand, I wish people wouldn't reward shoddy execution like this or take advertisements over critical evaluation when it comes to purchasing decisions, which they clearly have.

Clearly you are full of shit. Tons of us love the game for what it is.

Haters be damned.

MMaRsu

Banned
Already made a thread about the delayed stuff yesterday, great to see that AC sold very good.

I love that game so fucking much <3

New IP is so expensive and it's such a risk.

No. bad marketing is the risk here. Assassin's Creed nailed nay, crucified it.

Congratulations to both the team and the people responsible for selling it.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
AltogetherAndrews said:
Support the home team when it deserves the support. This example of incredible mediocrity doesn't warrant much support.

It was a great game AA.

jimmypop

Banned
Ubisoft have been fairly good stewards of the Prince of Persia franchise, so it's difficult to complain about regular sequels.

Here's to hoping that AC 2 has more variety in gameplay objectives.

mckmas8808

Visualante said:
New IP is so expensive and it's such a risk.

No. bad marketing is the risk here. Assassin's Creed nailed nay, crucified it.

2.5 million sold x $60

$150 million in ONE MONTH!?!?!

Concept17

Mrbob said:
As glad as I am to see the sales success to AC, UBI is just going to run this franchise into the ground like every other one they have.

Have you played the game or know of the story? It is all very well planned out and executed that gives room for an ever larger story. I doubt even Ubi is taking the "farm the franchise" approach to a game like this.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Excellent news. I don't think AC can be yearly simply because of the amount of time it takes to create those cities.

Oh and also every game to have a frontwoman confirmed. also fake exclusivity wins.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Jim said:
Hah.. man, AC is the most polarizing game in rceent memory. Such wildy differing opinions.

It seems to me that the people who hate it seem to think that their take is the only valid one. As if we are clearly delusional if we like the game because they think it is inherently flawed.

I think the commercials sold out it as an action adventure title...thats why many jumped on board...but is it really...from what ive seen, it comes across very tactical, and im surprised many are buying it, when you think about what the casual gamer may be into

I have not played, waiting for price drops

X26

Banned
it gets props for actually having commercials

I saw a few AC commercials aorund its release, which is more than I can say for pretty much every other title released these last few months

mckmas8808

Y2Kev said:
Excellent news. I don't think AC can be yearly simply because of the amount of time it takes to create those cities.

GTA3 - GTA Vice City - GTA San Andreas

2001 - 2002 - 2004

3 games in 4 years. It's possible. And I hope Ubi does it. But I also hope the do it right.

RBH

AltogetherAndrews said:
That's just sick. Quality FTL
AltogetherAndrews said:
AltogetherAndrews said:
Sure, if you like crap

VinceBoohoo.gif

Yoboman

Gold Member
What did AC do exactly to get such great sales?

Who at Ubisoft sold their soul to the Devil? Patrice????

Dr_Cogent

Banned
White Man said:
Great news. I was afraid this would bomb after the negative reviews. I had no idea it had a media hype train!

Thank God it did. So many people would miss out if they believed 1ups bullshit reviews and listen to people like AltogetherAndrews.

Yoboman said:

Give me up close and personal killing goodness with a sweet landscape to explore perhaps?

mckmas8808

White Man said:
Great news. I was afraid this would bomb after the negative reviews. I had no idea it had a media hype train!

Yep and if it hits 5 million with only 15 million systems out there, can you imagine what the next game can do now that it has a true fanbase?!

And 5 million sold by the end of next year is alot of money.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Yoboman said:

Concept
Graphics
Kickass lead character
Beautiful marketing

-Rogue5-

AltogetherAndrews said:
Support the home team when it deserves the support. This example of trying to instill my (crappy) opinion on other people doesn't warrant much support.

AltogetherAndrews said:
Sure, I like crap

fixed both in one post.

It's not the best game to come this year, but it's a far cry from some of the undisputed/objectively crappy games we've seen in 2007 (e.g. LAIR.)

mckmas8808

Yoboman said:

A great feeling of cities that we've never felt before. Nobody has done a 1150 A.D. period game and make people feel like they were actually there.

Concept17

Dr_Cogent said:
Thank God it did. So many people would miss out if they believed 1ups bullshit reviews and listen to people like AltogetherAndrews.

Give me up close and personal killing goodness with a sweet landscape to explore perhaps?

I like you... be my friend?

kbear

AltogetherAndrews said:
Sure, if you like crap
Have you played the game? For some reason, I seriously doubt you have. You just seem like one of those guys that pretends and bases his opinions on the few negative reviews.

Dr_Cogent said:
It seems to me that the people who hate it seem to think that their take is the only valid one. As if we are clearly delusional if we like the game because they think it is inherently flawed.
I agree totally

Mrbob

Concept17 said:
Have you played the game or know of the story? It is all very well planned out and executed that gives room for an ever larger story. I doubt even Ubi is taking the "farm the franchise" approach to a game like this.

Haven't played it yet, looking forward to getting it early in the new year when I have some more time. I hope you are right, but I really can't think of a franchise UBI has taken great care of.

Dunlop

I need to expand to my support the home team quote..

EA is and will always be the devil, may they rot in hell.

(former Dreamcast owner)

pr0cs

Good news, I was worried that with the polarized reviews the game would suffer commercially, thankfully that isn't the case.
Now UBI, get to work on AC2 with more effort in polishing the game and side-quests/activities and adding to the story.

Yoboman said:

It has an appealing setting, great graphics and animation, and a gameplay style (open world) that people enjoy.

I don't see why this game would be a hard sell, everyone I know, gamer or not, who's seen a commercial has been hooked instantly. Maybe devs should take this to heart before they greenlight another military action game or whatever.

Concept17 said:
You forgot: Gameplay

The gameplay is intuitive. The 4 face button + modifier system can be learned in about 5 minutes, and stays consistent throughout the game.

Again, something more devs should look into before forcibly assigning tasks to every button on the controller.

Yoboman

Gold Member
Sho_Nuff82 said:
It has an appealing setting, great graphics and animation, and a gameplay style (open world) that people enjoy.

I don't see why this game would be a hard sell, everyone I know, gamer or not, who's seen a commercial has been hooked instantly. Maybe devs should take this to heart before they greenlight another military action game or whatever.
Yeah, but a lot of games have done that and still bombed before

Speevy

Banned
I suppose a worse game could have sold 2.5 million units, but it's certainly not as deserving as a dozen other games I could name.

Concept17

Skilletor said:
I loved this game. Glad to see it sold well! Prince of Persia on this engine next, please. kthnx

Meh, PoP could be done for good and I wouldn't mind. AC is what PoP always wanted to be. I would rather see them work only on a sequel for AC.

Top Bottom