• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed reaches 2.5 million sold, 5 mill expected. Other stuff delayed

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Speevy said:
I suppose a worse game could have sold 2.5 million units, but it's certainly not as deserving as a dozen other games I could name.

And I am sure others would vehemently disagree with your list as well.

That's the beautiful thing about opinions, they are just like assholes. Everyone has one and they all stink.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Concept17 said:
You forgot: Gameplay

As far as selling points, I think all of that comes before the gameplay in this case. My best friend was always telling me whenever he looked at Altair, he just looked like a badass and the graphics were hot. The setting is different and then the marketing was easily the best since Gears of War's campaign. There wasn't a demo and UBI was being so hush-hush with it so people had to take all of that into account before they even got their hands of the game. For the record, I like the gameplay. Could be fleshed out more, but I like what was there.

Speevy said:
I suppose a worse game could have sold 2.5 million units, but it's certainly not as deserving as a dozen other games I could name.

The only games that deserve to sell:

1.Orange Box
2.Uncharted
3.Cod4
4.Mass Effect
5.SMG
6.Zack and Wiki
7.R&C

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Mrbob said:
Haven't played it yet, looking forward to getting it early in the new year when I have some more time. I hope you are right, but I really can't think of a franchise UBI has taken great care of.

popsandsoftime_ps2box_160w.jpg

pop2_usps2boxboxart_160w.jpg

princep2thrones_ps2box_usa_rp_000boxart_160w.jpg

kbear said:
Have you played the game? For some reason, I seriously doubt you have. You just seem like one of those guys that pretends and bases his opinions on the few negative reviews.

If you're going to openly doubt something you're going to have to provide something more than your gut feeling about things. I played it, and I would have probably enjoyed at least the climbing and combat if it wasn't contained in a such a shoddy design. And what makes it fucking terrible is that so many of the issues are traditional Ubi issues; wonky A.I. (who knew that the touchiest guards in history also had the absolutely worst sense of situational awareness?), grating voice repetition, poor performance. Add the stupidest idea of "interactive" (and unskippable!) cutscenes and you have some decent concepts running on a broken foundation. And it's all stuff that a developer like Ubi should be on top of, but as usual it doesn't fucking matter because the marketing is good enough to make sure that the game sells, quality be damned. I certainly hope whoever was in charge of marketing gets a big fat bonus this year.

Scotch

I'm usually on the hating side with polarizing games like these, because I'm pretty picky when it comes to games, but I loved Assassin's Creed. Well deserved sales.

Speevy

Banned
BruceLeeRoy said:
The only games that deserve to sell:

1.Orange Box
2.Uncharted
3.Cod4
4.Mass Effect
5.SMG
6.Zack and Wicki

7. Bioshock (which did of course, sell that)
8. Ratchet and Clank Future: Tools of Destruction
9. Warhawk
10. Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
11. Folklore
12. The Eye of Judgment

Mrbob

mckmas are you trying to help my point? ;)

I remember the release of Warrior Within, the rage incited on GAF alone was amazing.

Speevy said:
9. Warhawk
11. Folklore
12. The Eye of Judgment

I didnt put Bshock simply cause I know it did sell really well.

X26 said:
the concept of the list itself

Im just saying since I didnt like the game it would have been nice to see some titles that just didnt have the same type of marketing push to be successful hits as well.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
AltogetherAndrews said:
In yo face quality, you mean. But by all means, keep delivering those blows. For mediocrity, united we stand!

:lol - well - that does it for me. You have long since been a joke character in my book, might as well put on the ignore filter.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Mrbob said:
mckmas are you trying to help my point? ;)

I remember the release of Warrior Within, the rage incited on GAF alone was amazing.

But that game really wasn't that bad. GAF cried like little girls of course because it was too dark. :rolleyes:

Concept17

Agent Icebeezy said:
As far as selling points, I think all of that comes before the gameplay in this case. My best friend was always telling me whenever he looked at Altair, he just looked like a badass and the graphics were hot. The setting is different and then the marketing was easily the best since Gears of War's campaign. There wasn't a demo and UBI was being so hush-hush with it so people had to take all of that into account before they even got their hands of the game. For the record, I like the gameplay. Could be fleshed out more, but I like what was there.

As selling points I agree. But showing how you could assassinate someone as being something you actually do yourself, was in fact, a major selling point.

I don't think people should expect a demo for every game, especially potential AAA titles. This goes into the whole demo vs sales debate, but putting a demo of a sandbox game is a very bad, bad idea. Not to mention the beginning of AC (the part that throws most people off) is very slow, and throwing someone into the middle of the city without having known any of the story, would have been a poor presentation.

Games with a lot of depth/story that have demos should give people an introduction to the story. AC's greatest weakness imo was the beginning, simply because people wanted to hurry up and play everything that was promised, but had to be dragged through some story first.

Rur0ni

Adding my input:

The commercials really sold this game. I saw them frequently, and I may watch tv only at night for a couple hours.

bud said:
yeah, the commercials were great. that ''teardrop'' song by massive attack is amazing.

Yeah its a great commercial you can definitely see Gears playing a part in the marketing meeting for that.

Borys

Banned
Speevy said:
9. Warhawk
11. Folklore
12. The Eye of Judgment

13. Crysis
14. NWN2: Mask of the Betrayer
15. The Witcher
16. Switchball

Speevy

Banned
Assassin's Creed is one of those games that serious gamers should play, but it is ultimately a failure in execution. Hence why everyone's crying for a sequel. Even its greatest proponents know that the game's reach exceeded its grasp by a long shot.

So what are we discussing? You want mastery of concept? Play Super Mario Galaxy or something else.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Concept17 said:
I don't think people should expect a demo for every game, especially potential AAA titles. This goes into the whole demo vs sales debate, but putting a demo of a sandbox game is a very bad, bad idea. Not to mention the beginning of AC (the part that throws most people off) is very slow, and throwing someone into the middle of the city without having known any of the story, would have been a poor presentation.

Saint's Row had a demo last year and it has sold over 1 million. I think that a demo is a great thing, if you have a great game.

Skilletor

Concept17 said:
Meh, PoP could be done for good and I wouldn't mind. AC is what PoP always wanted to be. I would rather see them work only on a sequel for AC.

PoP would have been awfully boring had the prince done everything automatically while holding a trigger.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Speevy said:
Assassin's Creed is one of those games that serious gamers should play, but it is ultimately a failure in execution.

I agree with you 100% (which is weird, because I'm convinced you're a figment of my imagination).

AltogetherAndrews said:
poor performance.

The 360 version holds 30 just fine. The game runs circles around every open world game sans Crackdown, looks better than all of them as well.

Add the stupidest idea of "interactive" (and unskippable!) cutscenes

Why would anyone want to skip a cutscene containing vital information (of which all of them do towards the plot)? Unless you were rushing through to try and beat it as fast as possible, revisiting for achievements, or just replaying it for fun (which would imply that you liked the game), it makes absolutely zero sense to skip any of the cutscenes.

And it's all stuff that a developer like Ubi should be on top of, but as usual it doesn't fucking matter because the marketing is good enough to make sure that the game sells, quality be damned. I certainly hope whoever was in charge of marketing gets a big fat bonus this year.

The marketing was great, yes. But people can't go home and play marketing. Obviously the game is doing something right for people to still be talking about it nearly a month after release, and to have garnered several great reviews (despite anyones opinion on 'lol moneyhats').

I really hope you're not implying that Ubi Montreal's previous successes (Splinter Cell and Prince of Persia) were well regarded purely because of hype and marketing.

Scotch

Speevy said:
Assassin's Creed is one of those games that serious gamers should play, but it is ultimately a failure in execution. Hence why everyone's crying for a sequel. Even its greatest proponents know that the game's reach exceeded its grasp by a long shot.

So what are we discussing? You want mastery of concept? Play Super Mario Galaxy or something else.
Exactly. I loved the game despite its flaws. They have laid the foundation, now they have a full year (knowing Ubisoft) to make a truly excellent game.

Skilletor

Dr_Cogent said:
This argument is so rich, rich with creamy bullshit that is.

What? I loved Creed, I'm just saying that Free Running in Prince of Persia wouldn't be the same.

That's just me, though. Maybe you'd love it.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Skilletor said:
What? I loved Creed, I'm just saying that Free Running in Prince of Persia wouldn't be the same.

That's just me, though. Maybe you'd love it.

I thought you were saying all you had to do in Assassin's Creed to do anything was hold down the trigger.

Concept17

AltogetherAndrews said:
If you're going to openly doubt something you're going to have to provide something more than your gut feeling about things. I played it, and I would have probably enjoyed at least the climbing and combat if it wasn't contained in a such a shoddy design. And what makes it fucking terrible is that so many of the issues are traditional Ubi issues; wonky A.I. (who knew that the touchiest guards in history also had the absolutely worst sense of situational awareness?), grating voice repetition, poor performance. Add the stupidest idea of "interactive" (and unskippable!) cutscenes and you have some decent concepts running on a broken foundation. And it's all stuff that a developer like Ubi should be on top of, but as usual it doesn't fucking matter because the marketing is good enough to make sure that the game sells, quality be damned. I certainly hope whoever was in charge of marketing gets a big fat bonus this year.

I agree the AI could be improved. In this sense the game becomes too easy. This is its only real flaw imo, but it doesn't make it a bad game. The rest of your issues are very minimal and are all very common in 90% of games out there, especially the 2m+ sellers list. Also, giving the only credit to marketing is stupid. The devs have delivered an amazing game, a game they took a ton of risk with and succeeded.

And DECENT concepts? Really? Whats a 'good' concept to you? You are way too damn picky to be playing games. Go be a movie critic, it would suit you better.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Good for them, Even if you dislike the game. I think it is best to be happy. A new IP, New Ideas, etc. Its giving more benefit to that new unique IP can do good.

Great. Hopefully AC2 will be even more repetitive than the first one. J/K, I'm looking forward to a sequel as the setting is great. Still not worthy of that many sales considering it's many flaws, but, great for Ubisoft.

gcubed

gamerecks said:
The more and more I watch my brother play this on 360, the more I want to get it. Have the PS3 issues been ironed out?

what issues besides some slowdown? Slowdown wouldnt exactly ever get "ironed out" post release

Top Bottom