• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Syndicate - Jack the Ripper |OT| Evie Slays Your Fave

Am I forced to play as the chick? I found her boring compared to Jacob.
Yes, you are "forced" to play as Evie which is at least welcome when the majority of games would force you to play as males who are predominantly white. You're one of the few who prefer Jacob over Evie. Jack seems to have a personal connection with her ("welcome to the reunion") and police believe she's the only one to solve the case. Evie seems more suited as a sneaky assassin anyway while Jacob as brute force would not be advisable against a sneaky serial killer.

Played a couple of hours, really like it so far but I have one issue with it, some secondary missions are about kidnapping a target and bringing them to a key NPC. I really hate this mechanic/type of missions from the main game and they have removed one of the skills, so basically you have to walk slowly and keep pressing X to keep your target in check.

As far as I can tell, you don't have all London available, just 2 districts. The fear mechanic/tools are interesting but pointless in my opinion, I can see why they make sense for The Ripper but not for Evie.

Did they remove the skill that prevents people from running away during kidnaps? Because that would make me sad. I really liked that skill.

ryseing

Played a couple of hours, really like it so far but I have one issue with it, some secondary missions are about kidnapping a target and bringing them to a key NPC. I really hate this mechanic/type of missions from the main game and they have removed one of the skills, so basically you have to walk slowly and keep pressing X to keep your target in check.

As far as I can tell, you don't have all London available, just 2 districts. The fear mechanic/tools are interesting but pointless in my opinion, I can see why they make sense for The Ripper but not for Evie.

They got rid of the skill where you don't have to QTE the guy you're kidnapping?

BOOOOOO. Stupid mechanic that should have never been in the game in the first place.

UnrealEck

Yes, you are "forced" to play as Evie which is at least welcome when the majority of games would force you to play as males who are predominantly white.

I don't know about most games, I guess I haven't put much thought into it or noticed, so Jacob being white and male didn't make me like him any less. I just like his character more.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Evie is the most boring character in Syndicate and her only match in AC protagonist dullness is Altair who at least showed some moral ambiguity.
Jacob evolves throughout the game.

Fuck Evie.

Ascenion

Evie is the most boring character in Syndicate and her only match in AC protagonist dullness is Altair who at least showed some moral ambiguity.
Jacob evolves throughout the game.

Fuck Evie.

Eh....I mean Evie as a character that should go through stages of development is awful yes, but Jacob doesn't change that much either imo. They are both Master Assassins from the jump so there isn't much about them that isn't pretty set in stone. The only reason I like Jacob more is that he has that lovable oaf quality. Evie is literally straight swag, the embodiment of swag. But at the end of the day they both play the same, the exact same aside from token abilities.

Edit

What about Connor, though? He was pretty damn boring.

Not quite the same, I can't speak for the other person's reasoning, but Connor had depth and characterization that neither twin really seems to have. Most of it was just hidden in side content the average player wasn't going to see, not to mention he does arc through being this clueless sheltered kid, into someone that understand the world more and that freedom is relative and not all encompassing.

Toa TAK

Banned
Connor and Altair were pretty good characters that developed thoughout. Connor grew out of his naivete and Altair stopped being an asshole and relearned his place in his faction.

Jacob is charming but he's a god damn idiot and Evie is constantly cleaning his messes.

Thought this would have been up on the store already. Hearing that it's 17gb to download, I wanted to get it running in the background while I am finishing up my work day.

Anyone have an ETA on when these things normally go live?

ryseing

Thought this would have been up on the store already. Hearing that it's 17gb to download, I wanted to get it running in the background while I am finishing up my work day.

Anyone have an ETA on when these things normally go live?

Assuming you're on PS4? GCT (Grace Chen Time) which means we don't have a fucking clue. Normally it's 3-4ish.

Still not up yet.

Probably won't play this until the New Year, but if that speculation about Jacob is true, I'm going to flip a table. *insert avatar quote*

Excited to play as an older Evie, though. Middle-aged female protagonists are basically nonexistent in gaming.

Probably won't play this until the New Year, but if that speculation about Jacob is true, I'm going to flip a table. *insert avatar quote*

Excited to play as an older Evie, though. Middle-aged female protagonists are basically nonexistent in gaming.
I really doubt it will be him :p all the signs from that trailer lead to it being him which makes me doubt it, I don't think Ubisoft would be that obvious. I guess we'll see!

while waiting for it to show up on US PSN, i decided to download some outfits I missed. Why are they all over a gig? One being over 2 gigs? I was expecting a few MB at most

while waiting for it to show up on US PSN, i decided to download some outfits I missed. Why are they all over a gig? One being over 2 gigs? I was expecting a few MB at most
I assume they need very high res textures for cutscene close-ups? There's a lot to each individual outfit.

Happened to buy the game today, didn't even know the dlc came out :p
Just got to london but it's quite good at the moment

Evie>Jacob

On topic of DLC: I might wait to hear some impressions before buying, I like the idea of it but that Jack The Ripper acting in the trailer kind of put me off :p

Any idea on how long it's meant to be?

Yup, showing up for me as well. Downloading now. Perfect timing as I finished the last Sequence just last night. (Got the game late as a birthday present.)

Actually, is there any other major story bits after the last sequence?

I still have the individual character memories left (Darwin, Dickens, Queen Victoria, ect) - and I plan on wrapping them up as well, but figured I'd just finish out the story since this DLC was coming out.

Yup, showing up for me as well. Downloading now. Perfect timing as I finished the last Sequence just last night. (Got the game late as a birthday present.)

Actually, is there any other major story bits after the last sequence?

I still have the individual character memories left (Darwin, Dickens, Queen Victoria, ect) - and I plan on wrapping them up as well, but figured I'd just finish out the story since this DLC was coming out.

the queen victoria missions take place after the story...I think they add at least some major story details. I honestly cant remember, I have a horrible memory lol

Toa TAK

Banned
If the game came out earlier, this would've been a perfect Halloween release. The tone and atmosphere they created here is just perfect.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Still playing through Syndicate on PC (holy shit is this game good), but I'm very keen to try this, as is my girlfriend.

Cleve

Well I went to fire the game up and it complained that the game data was corrupt and needed to be reinstalled. Guess who's redownloading 60+gb?

Really wish sony had a better CDN right now :|

Toa TAK

Banned
Pretty nice little DLC. Don't think it's worth anything over $10, but it was neat how they set up the story to intertwine with the history of Jack the Ripper while keeping him feeling like a character on his own. The fear mechanics are pretty cool and fun to mess around with and the new side missions change things up a bit as well from tailing to keeping your carriage out in the open without suspicion. The brutal takedowns/assassinations are pretty insane, and the new assassination missions are fun as well. McCreary's soundtrack is on point, and feels right not just for the content involved, but also as a composer who shares the same space as Winston. It's short, but it's a lot more enjoyable than anything in Dead Kings as far as AC DLC goes. Old Evie is great as well, and I still can't believe we got someone like her as a protagonist in a game, even if it is just DLC.

SomTervo

Hopefully getting Syndicate for Christmas... omgicantwait.gif

s5sGUzm.png

Holy shit.

Evies the best.
So at first i was like fuck that dlc.
then i was all no jacob?
Then i was like wheres my card?
In.

Ha

ryseing

Pretty nice little DLC. Don't think it's worth anything over $10, but it was neat how they set up the story to intertwine with the history of Jack the Ripper while keeping him feeling like a character on his own. The fear mechanics are pretty cool and fun to mess around with and the new side missions change things up a bit as well from tailing to keeping your carriage out in the open without suspicion. The brutal takedowns/assassinations are pretty insane, and the new assassination missions are fun as well. McCreary's soundtrack is on point, and feels right not just for the content involved, but also as a composer who shares the same space as Winston. It's short, but it's a lot more enjoyable than anything in Dead Kings as far as AC DLC goes. Old Evie is great as well, and I still can't believe we got someone like her as a protagonist in a game, even if it is just DLC.

Dead Kings was awful so this is good to hear.

Dunno whose bright idea it was to have the majority of it set in catacombs of all places.

GavinUK86

Do people like Evie just because she's female? It can't be anything else, there's zero character development going on, same for Jacob too really. It feels like everyone is foaming at the mouth about her just because last year Ubisoft pissed everyone off by saying they haven't got the time to animate women or whatever so this year there's a woman in it and everyone think she's the best thing ever. I personally like Jacob more, the jack-the-lad cheekiness makes playing him more fun imo.

But, I digress, I have to wait for the PC DLC to come out.

Do people like Evie just because she's female? It can't be anything else, there's zero character development going on, same for Jacob too really. It feels like everyone is foaming at the mouth about her just because last year Ubisoft pissed everyone off by saying they haven't got the time to animate women or whatever so this year there's a woman in it and everyone think she's the best thing ever. I personally like Jacob more, the jack-the-lad cheekiness makes playing him more fun imo.

Her being a girl is definitely a big part of it. Personally I like playing female protagonists. But she also looks great, has a cool costume and animations. And she's portrayed as smart and serious, which is different than most of the other assassins. She plays off Jacob well in that regard. I wouldn't have liked her as much without him too.

Toa TAK

Banned
So season pass worth it?

I would wait for it to be discounted, personally. I foam at the mouth for more AC content in general, but I can't imagine the average gamer being excited for what's essentially a 4-hour DLC, some side missions and additional outfits and gear that doesn't go beyond what can be accomplished in the main game itself.

For me it's because she's a nice break from the usual "charming rogue" that we've had the past few games. She's a smarter and stealthier person, which is a lot more appealing to play as in a, well, stealth game. The fact that she's a woman is one thing, but I would've been a lot more impressed if she owned the game herself.

Toa TAK

Banned
She's no stealthier than Jacob. You can buy the same skills for both.

No you can't, some are locked or Evie and Jacob. For example, Jacob doesn't have the chameleon skill that allows for invisibility (pretty much) at a standstill.

And no, she doesn't have the same animations as Aveline.

Top Bottom