• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Syndicate - Jack the Ripper |OT| Evie Slays Your Fave

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Hasn't she got the same animations as Aveline?
She actually uses no animations from Aveline. Just a mix of Arno parkour animations, a new walk and run cycle and the all the combat and contextual animations they made for Syndicate, although curiously she does have Elise's run cycle during the racing segment in the beginning of the game.
sddefault.jpg

thumb

Banned
She actually uses no animations from Aveline. Just a mix of Arno parkour animations, a new walk and run cycle and the all the combat and contextual animations they made for Syndicate, although curiously she does have Elise's run cycle during the racing segment in the beginning of the game.
sddefault.jpg

Interesting, but where did you get this info?

Crossing Eden

Interesting, but where did you get this info?
I pay way more attention to animation in media than most people since it's my profession. :p I also noticed immediately that BF surprisingly has some death animations taken straight out of BF4 animation library.

thumb

Banned
I pay way more attention to animation in media than most people since it's my profession. :p I also noticed immediately that BF surprisingly has some death animations taken straight out of BF4 animation library.

Ah, I see. Though I'm not sure I follow the BF part--what does BF refer to in this case?

Cleve

yeah im in the US, and I posted the link for it earlier from the US store.

I guess im gonna try to delete and redownload

I had to delete and redownload. Worked fine after that. It's on the main menu, but for some reason takes a sec to pop in under continue. Having a blast so far. I dig older Evie and the missions have been good so far.

After completing it, I really liked
playing as Jack the ripper
but I really was
waiting for more info or a flashback to his initiation into the assassins order

Also from this I wonder if we will get
colonial india
as the next ac world

woen

About your last sentence
Since colonial India is already a setting for the comic book and the 2D "Chronicles" game I doubt they could go into that direction. That would be great though, with multiples cities and why not a countryside part. Revolutionary Moscow (+other russian cities?) would be a good spot too if they keep the same engine that is very good with big european cities.

Beat it today, I liked it, easy 7-10 hours if you go for 100%. The ending was meh and is a shame they didn't take any risk when it comes to The Ripper. The atmosphere was great but the fear mechanic was totally unnecessary and out of place for Evie but worked well for The Ripper.

Solid DLC and better than Dead Kings for sure.

I had a chance to start the DLC last night and play about an hour. I made the mistake of trying to shut down a fight club before I had any fear tools, so I just ended up fighting waves of bad guys until I lost. I also had to laugh during the second mission. I thought this about the photo you find:
Hmm.So Jacob brought a boy to India who was called Jack the Lad and he also learned how to use fear tools. And now there is a person going by Jack the Ripper who is a former assassin and uses fear tools? I have no idea who Jack the Ripper could be. Then again, this could either be a) a red herring or b) who he is isn't supposed to be a huge mystery that you solve.
Overall my feelings are positive from my little play time, though I do miss the skill that prevents people from attempting to run during kidnapping attempts.

Fury451

Banned
so you wanna bet $5 bucks ripper is an ex assassin.

Nope. Always figured Ripper would be a rogue assassin or something. Only thing that would make sense.

Points for Evie:
  • cooler design
  • invisibility
  • personality isn't a knock off Ezio
Points for Jacob:
  • has a hat

They play off each other well though. Evie on her own would be kind of dry, and Jacob on his own would be kind of annoying. They've got complimentary personalities.

chadskin

Have just completed the story and all in all, I'm a bit underwhelmed. Aside from the relatively short play time - took me about 5-6 hours for the main story and a couple of side missions to get better gear, for those wondering -, I would've liked to
get a better idea of who Jack was, how and why he became an Assassin and, most importantly, how and why he became the Ripper. Just a bit more backstory on him, I guess. Also, the Fear gameplay mechanic felt kind of clunky and unnecessary, especially for Evie.

I don't regret the purchase though, it's more main story-like content with infiltrating buildings, killing targets and all the usual stuff you've come to expect. I just wish everything had been more and better fleshed out.

Just finished it. Clocked in the main stuff at 2 and half for me. Pretty happy with it.

Didn't care for the last parts though. All the mystery and mystique gets thrown away to just end the story up. You kinda have no real reason to understand Jacks motives and such.

Fear stuff was fun but really odd to use with Evie.

Also I didn't hear any ambiant music play while running around, but the overall score does a good job with the ciminatics and such, but it is a little bland.

Feel like it was pretty disappointing. I mean it's pretty chunky for a dlc has new side quests and spoilers
You get to play as jack the ripper a couple times
But it's just all very been there done that stuff from the main game. Story also is really disappointing and not very interesting.

WeTeHa

Just finished it and completed it 100%. A little disappointed with the story (see spoiler).

Spoilers for the DLC:
They should have given us a few missions at the beginning to introduce Jack. 2 or 3 missions in India to give the character some background, 1 mission explaining the death of the mother or stuff like that. And then switch to London.
Either that, or they should have introduced jack during the main game, like with Adewale in AC4.

Overall the DLC felt a little rushed, I've also noticed more bugs/technical problems than in the main game, which is a shame. The game actually crapped out on me during the credits, so I had to replay the last mission :/

Also, why would they removed the skill that stops kidnapped bad guys from running away. Constantly watching for the animation/the button prompt gets annoying fast. Combined with the most annoying side missions in an AC game to date (walk of shame), that was a real drag. Luckily, there are only a few kidnapping missions, so it wasn't too bad.

Are there new outdoor areas?

Yes, although it's not as much as I had hoped.

ryseing

Evie can't use cane swords.

This DLC is dead to me.

Also, this has way more technical issues than the base game. I've had it outright freeze on me twice.

I had to delete and redownload. Worked fine after that. It's on the main menu, but for some reason takes a sec to pop in under continue. Having a blast so far. I dig older Evie and the missions have been good so far.

Forgot to update, it worked for me too. It pops up after a second. I was waiting several minutes the first time and it wasn't showing up

Arturo

So any reviews for this DLC ?

Here's the only one I've found, by Destructoid

Unlike main Assassin's Creed installments, Jack the Ripper benefits tremendously from a streamlined approach. The add-on quickly ushers the player from mission to mission, with little dillydallying in between. Ubisoft couldn't resist the urge to pad the expansion with some trademark side events, but they're not pressing, not in-your-face, and ultimately not really important. It's just three hours of mostly quality main story content.

Jack the Ripper can't aspire to reach the heights that Syndicate did. But, it also doesn't suffer the same setbacks. In a game where open-world strain can become a serious problem, this add-on is a mostly-focused reprieve. Sure, there are some fumbling moments, but there are also some elegantly-handled ones. Given the difficult source material and the obvious danger of stumbling, Jack the Ripper mostly doesn't, and that feels like a best-case outcome.

Sounds nice to me, I guess I'll get it this weekend :)

Ascenion

Evie definitely looks worse for wear. Love how they aged her in line with her personality. The stress shows and it gives her this rugged elegance imo. She has that "I've seen some shit" look.

Crossing Eden

Slay. Ubisoft really do have some of the best artists.
I realized the other day that the chance to see older characters is part of why I love this series. Even if it's just an expansion it's a really cool thing to see the obvious and the subtle differences.
Like Jacob's hair being way neater instead of incredibly unkempt.

For reference Evie looked like this in the main game.
alexis-belley-acs-eviefrye-head-front.jpg

I like that they aged Evie, but think they went overboard. Jacob looks much better aged than she does.

She's quite young in the core game, then looks 60 in this, yet it's only set 20 years later.

I started this DLC this morning and it's pretty substantial/sold. The fear mechanic isn't used nearly as well as it could've been, though, and it is more of the same.

Top Bottom