• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Syndicate |OT| Once more unto the glitch

B-Dex

The only times I noticed frame rate problems was when I used carriages and generally the strand and Westminster ran a bit worse then the other areas.

dreamfall

And done.

Wooooo! That was definitely my favorite Assassin's Creed since 2/Brotherhood. I haven't even touched the rest of the Marx/Dickens missions, but I'm excited to go back in and collect a ton of stuff.

Regarding the finale,
it's kind of awesome to see Juno back and in such a heavy focus. That Starrick final fight was absolutely hilarious, much like a tag team wrestling match - and it was nice that both of the twins got to execute the target together. I really loved the WW1 rift aesthetic too- the sequence was simple but it was so unexpected and neat. If the missions had better design, with more Churchill narrative, it would've been the best. I always wondered why we couldn't get more mini Assassin rifts- I love those.

Every major assassination mission felt great, and varied. Sequence 8's tepid buildup really left a lot of be desired, but that sequence finale was grand!

Putty

Is there some memory leak or something going on? I'm playing on PS4 and it feels like framerate steadily declines the more I play in a single session.

I did notice my framerate dip more after rest/resume play...Once i reset the machine properly it went back to normal.

Just_one

Whats the full content of the season pass?? Any oficial word? Loved dead kings for Unity so something like that would be cool

Matty8787

I seem to hate AC games more and more each year... But this damn game has me interested as I don't see much negatives coming from it.

How does it play on PC?

Alienous

Haha. That ending.

Rebecca telling Shaun to go after the Shroud and Shaun deciding to call off the mission to rescue her. No, you idiot, she probably means "Get the Shroud, it can heal me". What a dolt.

An anti-climatic final mission, but all in all I enjoyed Syndicate. It's a relatively good game, albeit janky throughout.

Hystzen

Hate how shockingly short the main sequences are it usually wrapped up in 3 missions then time to assassinate onto next sequence. This is supposed be most complex and locked down Templar system in the era but takes few seconds to dismantle with little effort.

PowderedToast

Hate how shockingly short the main sequences are it usually wrapped up in 3 missions then time to assassinate onto next sequence. This is supposed be most complex and locked down Templar system in the era but takes few seconds to dismantle with little effort.
agreed. I feel like the game really struggles in giving the two protagonists individual narratives. It feels like one characters work being split amongst two.

hoenestly between the nerfed parkour, barely there story and horrible mission design I would put this below unity. but I actually liked that game. it felt a lot meatier and had appropriate build up despite its flaws. syndicate feels truncated and scattershot at every turn. the development of this game was definitely affected by unity's reception imo

Good enough. That mechanic had been surprisingly absent since brotherhood, especially considering how much that game is beloved. Ubi Kiev don't let me down!

AC3 had it too but to be fair it was locked away behind a number of long questlines and only available in cities, but the skills they had were really cool. syndicate has the worst implementation for me because you never feel in control of the gangs and as mentioned they don't appear through a call but have to be manually found and recruited.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
AC3 had it too but to be fair it was locked away behind a number of long questlines and only available in cities, but the skills they had were really cool. syndicate has the worst implementation for me because you never feel in control of the gangs and as mentioned they don't appear through a call but have to be manually found and recruited.
You can get an upgrade that lets you hold R1 to manually call a cart full of them anytime you want.

The thing that would've really sold that the narrative takes place over a year is changing seasons. Imagine Westminster during the Fall or Winter. :O

Iceternal

Haha. That ending.

Rebecca telling Shaun to go after the Shroud and Shaun deciding to call off the mission to rescue her. No, you idiot, she probably means "Get the Shroud, it can heal me". What a dolt.

An anti-climatic final mission, but all in all I enjoyed Syndicate. It's a relatively good game, albeit janky throughout.

Didn't you say the game sucked in the beginning ?

It went a long way !

Might be a dumb question, and yes I'm a sucker, but I usually buy the timesaver packs that reveal all chests and activities, and I'm not seeing them available anywhere? Are they not selling them for this game? Odd to stop me from giving them a free $2 for practically nothing.

Unlocking all the free rewards on Ubisoft Club was a welcome addition though

I seem to hate AC games more and more each year... But this damn game has me interested as I don't see much negatives coming from it.

How does it play on PC?

Doesn't play on PC at all until November 19th when the PC version is out. The traditional Assassin's Creed PC version delay is back.

Crossing Eden

Might be a dumb question, and yes I'm a sucker, but I usually buy the timesaver packs that reveal all chests and activities, and I'm not seeing them available anywhere? Are they not selling them for this game? Odd to stop me from giving them a free $2 for practically nothing.

Unlocking all the free rewards on Ubisoft Club was a welcome addition though
You can buy maps from in-game vendors instead. 😃

You can buy maps from in-game vendors instead. ��

Ah, okay, so they are not available as a one-time buy like Black Flag and Unity?

I suppose I could do that :p

On a side note, I see the E-store has a "Glitch Tracker" and "Secrets of London" maps that both cost like $10...seems a bit high...what do they do?

Crossing Eden

Gtfo!?? Not as awesome as jumping out of haystacks or off of roofs but I will absolutely take it. Just got way more excited for this game.
It's pretty funny actually.
BhZflMEM9ZQas.gif

Ah, okay, so they are not available as a one-time buy like Black Flag and Unity?

I suppose I could do that :p

On a side note, I see the E-store has a "Glitch Tracker" and "Secrets of London" maps that both cost like $10...seems a bit high...what do they do?
Glitch tracker reveal helix glitches on the map, secrets of london reveal the locations of music boxes
an amazing armor set.
Both show up normally when you get in their vicinity or see them with upgraded eagle vision. I have 8 left with no trackers. Helix glitches unlock intel including audio logs on the POE.

sdornan

Finished the game today. It's a shame that it's being mostly overlooked because of Unity and franchise fatigue, because it was a good experience and certainly worth what I paid for it. I know the
World War I
part was just an excuse for them to cram
the Tower Bridge
in the game, but I thought it was a great "woah, wtf?" side moment. The attention to detail in the city is fantastic, and the series' superb art direction is what really keeps me coming back each year, even if the gameplay itself is pretty stale at this point.

Also, it's clear that they have no idea what the fuck they're doing with the present day storyline, and honestly I have no idea what's supposed to be going on. While I appreciate the attempt at a persistent series arc, I wouldn't be too bummed if it was dropped.

This is my first AssCreed, and I'm having an absolute blast. I'm struggling to see why this series gets so much hate if the previous games were of a similar quality. Or is it just franchise fatigue?

Anyway, I love Jacob and Evie, and it's great being able to switch between them on the fly. I thought I'd be using Evie most of the time (and I do enjoy playing as her, she's an absolute badass) but I've found myself maining Jacob so far (about 15 hours in, 4 boroughs conquered). Can't beat an assassin in a top hat and frock coat.
He's also super cute, IMO.

The gameplay is amazing - I love free-running across the rooftops, swooping down to assassinate someone and then making my escape by leaping back onto a roof like Spring-Heeled Jack. I'm not sure how well the carriage sections have been received but I love ramming Blighters out of the way and destroying lampposts and market stalls (never said I was a good driver, but at least it's fun). The murder mysteries are great, too. Not really sure what I was expecting, gameplay-wise, but I love the variety of the missions and all the optional stuff (I usually hate collectathons but I'm hungrily hunting down every locked chest and pressed flower).

Wasn't expecting historical figures to appear in the game (again, this my first one, so not sure if there's a precedent), so it was fun seeing the likes of
Charles Dickens and Alexander Graham Bell

Victorian London is a fantastic setting, and I really think they've nailed the atmosphere. I like that the boroughs are fairly distinct and offer a wide range of scenery, from the almost idealised, Christmas card-esque quaint avenues to the grimy slums and smog-filled factories. Even the little background events are done well and help to draw you into the setting - I've just been walking past Big Ben in the early evening and saw a group of people singing "God Save the Queen" under a streetlamp. I've never felt so patriotic, lol.
Then I had to excuse myself to go and slit the throat of a nearby Blighter.

As I said, maybe I wouldn't be so impressed with Syndicate if I'd been playing the previous iterations every year, but right now I'm loving it. Never knew jumping off the top of St Paul's Cathedral into a hay cart was a secret ambition of mine, but now I've achieved it.

EDIT: Forgot to ask, has the present day/genetic memory stuff always been part of the series? Because it's pretty silly and not even necessary, IMO.

Crossing Eden

This is my first AssCreed, and I'm having an absolute blast. I'm struggling to see why this series gets so much hate if the previous games were of a similar quality. Or is it just franchise fatigue?

Anyway, I love Jacob and Evie, and it's great being able to switch between them on the fly. I thought I'd be using Evie most of the time (and I do enjoy playing as her, she's an absolute badass) but I've found myself maining Jacob so far (about 15 hours in, 4 boroughs conquered). Can't beat an assassin in a top hat and frock coat.
He's also super cute, IMO.

The gameplay is amazing - I love free-running across the rooftops, swooping down to assassinate someone and then making my escape by leaping back onto a roof like Spring-Heeled Jack. I'm not sure how well the carriage sections have been received but I love ramming Blighters out of the way and destroying lampposts and market stalls (never said I was a good driver, but at least it's fun). The murder mysteries are great, too. Not really sure what I was expecting, gameplay-wise, but I love the variety of the missions and all the optional stuff (I usually hate collectathons but I'm hungrily hunting down every locked chest and pressed flower).

Wasn't expecting historical figures to appear in the game (again, this my first one, so not sure if there's a precedent), so it was fun seeing the likes of
Charles Dickens and Alexander Graham Bell

Victorian London is a fantastic setting, and I really think they've nailed the atmosphere. I like that the boroughs are fairly distinct and offer a wide range of scenery, from the almost idealised, Christmas card-esque quaint avenues to the grimy slums and smog-filled factories. Even the little background events are done well and help to draw you into the setting - I've just been walking past Big Ben in the early evening and saw a group of people singing "God Save the Queen" under a streetlamp. I've never felt so patriotic, lol.
Then I had to excuse myself to go and slit the throat of a nearby Blighter.

As I said, maybe I wouldn't be so impressed with Syndicate if I'd been playing the previous iterations every year, but right now I'm loving it. Never knew jumping off the top of St Paul's Cathedral into a hay cart was a secret ambition of mine, but now I've achieved it.

EDIT: Forgot to ask, has the present day/genetic memory stuff always been part of the series? Because it's pretty silly and not even necessary, IMO.
Yes the present day storyline has always been there, this is actually quite toned down compared to some other entries in the series where there was a main character named Desmond.

After putting a good amount of hours into this, I can safely say this is in my top 3 favorite Assassins Creed games. Brotherhood, then 2, then Syndicate. I really hope the next one has an Asian setting and returns to having an actual protagonist in the modern day period.

I know alot of people dont really care for the modern day parts of the AC games but I LOVED them lol I feel having a new protagonist will help the story out too.

krrrt

I didn't expect to like this as much as I did, but still feel as if they could have done more with the setting. The world was amazing, and just running around London is awesome. Nevertheless I think they could have done more with it. Maybe an extra year of development could have made this something truly special, instead of the better-than-expected by the numbers AC we got.

SJRB

Gold Member
Good god Jacob is such a fucking clown. Of all the Assassins so far he is by far the biggest tool, and the dumbest.

That entire sequence 5 stuff was so utterly daft I'm beginning to wonder if Ubisoft even intended for the player to like him or if they actively sabotaged him to get people to like/play as Evie more.

I absolutely HATE how he assassinates a completely innocent man and there are literally zero consequences. If he had done even the slightest of research instead of running to his appointed target like a psycho because a foxy lady tells him to the entire half of sequence 5 could've been prevented. In fact, I hate how they both run around unchecked. There's so much blood on their hands, and for what..

"What do you mean, they're family" motherfucker if you had asked one of your 1000 contacts before jumping in the deep end they probably could've told you that the lady you're following orders from is the cousin of Starrick and a Templar. You know, Henry, the dude freeriding your train? He knows stuff like that, it's his job.

As always, the Templars seem like the more sane faction by far. Assassins are once again a band of terrorist lunatics.

I always wonder if Ubi does this strange meta commentary on purpose or if it's just an accident of their writing, because literally since the very first game the Templars seem like the better party by far.

Mideon

Finished it earlier. Really drags at the end like I said before doing the same stuff over and over gets boring by sequence 8. The final mission is fantastic though I wish there were more missions that used the same mechanic as the last mission. Brilliant game overall. Main quest was so so objective wise but the characters were great. Side quests involving the historical figures were interesting and a lot of fun. Would recommend this game overall it's very good.

Crossing Eden

Good god Jacob is such a fucking clown. Of all the Assassins so far he is by far the biggest tool, and the dumbest.

That entire sequence 5 stuff was so utterly daft I'm beginning to wonder if Ubisoft even intended for the player to like him or if they actively sabotaged him to get people to like/play as Evie more.

I absolutely HATE how he assassinates a completely innocent man and there are literally zero consequences. If he had done even the slightest of research instead of running to his appointed target like a psycho because a foxy lady tells him to the entire half of sequence 5 could've been prevented. In fact, I hate how they both run around unchecked. There's so much blood on their hands, and for what..

"What do you mean, they're family" motherfucker if you had asked one of your 1000 contacts before jumping in the deep end they probably could've told you that the lady you're following orders from is the cousin of Starrick and a Templar. You know, Henry, the dude freeriding your train? He knows stuff like that, it's his job.

As always, the Templars seem like the more sane faction by far. Assassins are once again a band of terrorist lunatics.

I always wonder if Ubi does this strange meta commentary on purpose or if it's just an accident of their writing, because literally since the very first game the Templars seem like the better party by far.
Actually it was established that the modern day assassins don't go around killing everyone who got too powerful and greedy anymore.
obI8jeV.png

Pretty sure it was referred to as "barbaric" as well. IIRC.

KrisB

Finished all the sequences over the weekend.
Really glad I ended up getting this game. After Unity I was pretty much done with the series, but decided to give this a go after I got a good deal on a PS4 copy. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

The extra content is already known, its three pieces

- Jack the Ripper DLC, probably a medium sized story DLC ala Unity/AC4 that's 2-5 hours long if you do it all. Set 20 years after AC6, no release date yet but probably Feb 2016 if it follows previous DLC times.

- Long Night story mission. Already out for season pass holders, Single, 15 minute mission.

- Last Maharaja DLC. 10 new missions set in London and you work with (obviously) the Indian king guy you meet a few times. Releasing early 2016, could be before Jack or a month or two after.

- 2 sets of weapons/gear - steampunk is already out, victorian legends will be out later.

I mean its not bad but nothing spectacular, probably not worth $30 though especially since GOTY/Gold versions drop to super cheap prices after a year.

Good thing about AC6 is that its ridiculously easy to platinum, if you finish the main game its 2-5 hours of extra stuff to do and most of it you could do just playing the normal campaign (break stuff in carriages).

I traded my copy in already to best buy (they are giving $40 for it this week, $44 with GCU!) and miss it already. Great game, some of the "politically correct" changes they made I'm not thrilled about like getting rid of the prostitute rings, the romance stuff being super juvenile, or no one saying anything about Evie going into a fight club against like a wave of 15 dudes (haha) but all in all a really fun and enjoyable game.

Series is due for a reboot though, the modern era stuff is needed to keep a good back flow but its getting cripplingly bizarre and incoherent.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
Good thing about AC6 is that its ridiculously easy to platinum, if you finish the main game its 2-5 hours of extra stuff to do and most of it you could do just playing the normal campaign (break stuff in carriages).

I traded my copy in already to best buy (they are giving $40 for it this week, $44 with GCU!) and miss it already. Great game, some of the "politically correct" changes they made I'm not thrilled about like getting rid of the prostitute rings, the romance stuff being super juvenile, or no one saying anything about Evie going into a fight club against like a wave of 15 dudes (haha) but all in all a really fun and enjoyable game.

Series is due for a reboot though, the modern era stuff is needed to keep a good back flow but its getting cripplingly bizarre and incoherent.

Ummm, prostitute rings? Also, the modern day plot is actually fairly coherent nowadays since they're no longer having to dance around Desmond's plotline. It's just slow as molasses and dumb, not really incoherent.

Also, also, this isn't the sixth Assassin's Creed game.

Crossing Eden

Finally beat the campaign.

Couldn't help but love that ending, very very lighthearted and tongue in cheek fight. Plus loved that modern day fight scene with my favorite track from the OST playing in the background. FINALLY we got to see the modern assassins actually do cool shit. Also wtf with that clone?! Who're they cloning, Aita or Desmond?

Stat!

Platinum'd the game over the weekend and finish all possible missions in the game.

Absolutely loved it. Possible one of my favourite games of all time. Game was not without occasional glitch but the world was fantastic. Side missions were finally awesome. The Penny Dreadfuls being among my favourite ones.

Story was good fun but the side stories
(such as Evie/Henry felt incredibly tacked on and poorly done. The marriage thing which I got mid-game)
were incredibly out of place.

The final mission was fun, the more open missions fun to do. Loved how the combat had plenty of contextual animations. Less collectibles in the future would be nice as well.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
Story was good fun but the side stories
(such as Evie/Henry felt incredibly tacked on and poorly done. The marriage thing which I got mid-game)
were incredibly out of place.
The novel
has the marriage thing after the end of the main story
, so the pacing there is extra weird.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
Is the novel good? Haven't picked one up after Foresaken.
It's... okay? It's more Oliver Bowden, so the writing is still all very same-y, and characters don't really have a "voice" so it can get boring. But if you're invested in the plot of Syndicate and are okay with a bunch of backstory for Henry Green and the twins' father it's okay. Of course, if you want that backstory you could just wait a week or two and then read a wiki with all the information.

All in all, I wouldn't recommend it. (But I wouldn't recommend Forsaken, The Secret Crusade or Unity which are supposed to be the "good" ones)

V for Vendetta syndrome. That movie made people think (the actual real) Guy Fawkes was doing a service to the people when in actuality he was a catholic terrorist that wanted to usher the catholics into power because he didn't like protestants. Both the assassins and the templars are bad, but the assassins are more marketable because the corrupt people in power trope is alive and well and sells a lot.

Toa TAK

Banned
It's... okay? It's more Oliver Bowden, so the writing is still all very same-y, and characters don't really have a "voice" so it can get boring. But if you're invested in the plot of Syndicate and are okay with a bunch of backstory for Henry Green and the twins' father it's okay. Of course, if you want that backstory you could just wait a week or two and then read a wiki with all the information.

All in all, I wouldn't recommend it. (But I wouldn't recommend Forsaken, The Secret Crusade or Unity which are supposed to be the "good" ones)

Hah, okay fair enough. Thanks.

Didn't know that Unity's was supposed to be good as well. Was it just because it was Elise's standpoint.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
Hah, okay fair enough. Thanks.

Didn't know that Unity's was supposed to be good as well. Was it just because it was Elise's standpoint.

That's what I assume, although it felt kinda disjointed to me. AC novels are something; I just don't know what that something is.

For those who may want to buy the game as a gift for someone, the PS4 and Xbone versions will be $34.99 at best buy during black friday. With GCU that'll drop down to $28. Pretty awesome price, can order online for shipment so don't need to wait in crazy lines.

Top Bottom