• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Unity - First Footage [PC/PS4/XB1, French Revolution, Holiday 2014]

I've noticed something.

Unlike the other assassins in the series, this guy isn't armed to the hilt with weapons. Maybe indicating hopefully a strong stealth focus in AC?

Because even though I like the games, there attempts at stealth in the past were pretty pathetic.

It certainly would be nice.

Blacklist and Watch_Dogs gives me hope that Ubi is actually trying to make it so you can do missions stealthily or action, and both paths are valid (though Watch_Dogs is a bit more mixed in that regard, but the genuine attempt is nice).

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I really hope that the spirit of Unity is like ACIV instead of ACIII, but I'm a little worried because they've set it in a big historical event (like III), and although the events of the French Revolution are infinitely more awesome as far as I'm concerned than those of the American Revolution (Storming of the Bastille, Tennis Court Oath, the rise of Robespierre and the Thermidorian Reaction, etc.) I worry that they'll just play it like III, 'remember this cool historical event? well you helped the good guys!' (maybe without the temptation to paint the revolutionaries as the good guys in the same way as with III they'll stop doing that a little).

But I feel like in IV they made major strides in storytelling over III. The characterisation was far stronger; I cared about the characters in a way that I didn't in III, or even in Ezio's trilogy. Kenway might have worn the 'rogue with a heart of gold' trope on his sleeve, but they pulled it off convincingly enough that
when Mary died
I had a lump in my throat.

I really hope that the spirit of Unity is like ACIV instead of ACIII, but I'm a little worried because they've set it in a big historical event (like III), and although the events of the French Revolution are infinitely more awesome as far as I'm concerned than those of the American Revolution (Storming of the Bastille, Tennis Court Oath, the rise of Robespierre and the Thermidorian Reaction, etc.) I worry that they'll just play it like III, 'remember this cool historical event? well you helped the good guys!' (maybe without the temptation to paint the revolutionaries as the good guys in the same way as with III they'll stop doing that a little).

But I feel like in IV they made major strides in storytelling over III. The characterisation was far stronger; I cared about the characters in a way that I didn't in III, or even in Ezio's trilogy. Kenway might have worn the 'rogue with a heart of gold' trope on his sleeve, but they pulled it off convincingly enough that
when Mary died
I had a lump in my throat.

I also really enjoyed ACIV but i wish they tone down the whiteness in the teeth a little bit.

UrbanRats

They should. There's nothing worse than English with a fake accent. I loved AC2, but I disliked the dialogue with the Italian accent. Should have been just Italian with English subs. Would do wonders for the, gulp, immersion.

I see what you're saying, and i agree, however i'm Italian and i still played the game in english, because i found it funny, when they tried to speak Italian and such.

Plus the Italian dub didn't have all the accents, which (although not exactly historically accurate) would've been a funny idea to implement.

DieH@rd

Banned
We are close :D

10441394_643383049077445_711526311455167946_n.jpg

Nice.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder if we have hit the point where the AC trailers don't have to be CGI and can be in-engine. That would be awesome.

Muffdraul

I see what you're saying, and i agree, however i'm Italian and i still played the game in english, because i found it funny, when they tried to speak Italian and such.

Plus the Italian dub didn't have all the accents, which (although not exactly historically accurate) would've been a funny idea to implement.

Native language is definitely ideal. But given the choice between only "English with fake accents" (i.e. the Russian soldiers in MGS2) versus "They speak perfect English as if they grew up in Garden Grove, California because in the context of the game they speak Russian and Snake understands/speaks perfect Russian so it makes sense that they wouldn't have an accent" MGS3 bullshit, I'll take the cheezy accented English every time. It's just more... fun.

Shin

Banned
We'll see when the downgrade hits

That's rather sad because I like the games they make, but ever since Far Cry 3 it's always at the back of my head...what will it eventually look like.

The footage looks really awesome, the floor, the lighting so damn epic.
Then the thoughts of downgrade kicks in and my mood turns to shit.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
Are they still calling this Unity? I assumed that was a placeholder. The Co-op better be damn good to justify it or it will mock you when you play it.

I'm surprised it wasn't Liberte, Egalite, or Fraternite (though maybe if there's a three arc story and those are the names of the three arcs, it makes sense), given the subject matter.

I've been waiting for the French Revolution since the first game. To me that's what is exciting. What AC brings to the table is it's historical settings. I fully expect a video game taking this historical scenario to be full of compromises. Of course. Thats a given. But I expect a good representation of Paris in this timeframe, and I hope I wont be disappointed in that. I don't expect much else, so I have little to be disappointed about.

Vire

I'm pretty sure AC4 is what 3 should have been... Hope this game keeps the option for naval combat. Would be a shame just to dump it all.

sflufan

Banned
I personally can't wait to see what "existential threat" forces the Assassins and the Templars to put aside their differences (temporarily) and "unify" to confront it!

I really cannot wait for this. I know I am in the minority, but I have loved every assassins creed game. I really didnt think 3 was as boring, glitchy and terrible like most people say. I only had one glitch that locked me out of an achievement, but it got patched anyway

Ascenion

I'm curious as to whether this is the true AC IV in terms of the modern story progression as Black Flag didn't do much really on that side. Also I'm debating whether or not they are going to throw a nice big V next to the title at E3, though we still don't know what comet is.

Top Bottom