• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Unity - First Footage [PC/PS4/XB1, French Revolution, Holiday 2014]

I'm pretty sure AC4 is what 3 should have been... Hope this game keeps the option for naval combat. Would be a shame just to dump it all.
A lifeless, white lead with a singular goal for glory on the seas with the player just collecting stuff from a checklist vs http://sigma.co.vu/post/87256801856/ratonhnhake-ton-and-how-relevant-he-is-to-mass-media ?

Now sure, I'm over simplifying AC4 for the sake of my argument but they are two different games and I personally am grateful that ubi gave us a daring and unothodox game that went against the grain with AC3. It's also no surprise why AC4 gets more praise...

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Speak for yourself. AC3 is one of my favorite games simply for it's setting, protag and honestly the enjoyment I get from free running through the frontier. Story and gameplay were on par with previous iteraitons as well.

I am. I appreciate Ubisoft's attempts at diversity, but Conor was boring and anti-charismatic. And there's just no comparison that can be made between the cities of Europe and those of the American colonies at the time AC3 was set. The former had more of everything: history, architecture, people, culture. Europe, with cities over a millennium old at the time AC3 was set, is just a much better setting for the AC games than the U.S. at its founding. Heck, let's just look at traversal - what would you rather climb? This?

Christ_Church_Phila_crop.JPG

or this?

NotreDameParis.jpg

rdrr gnr

I can't wait to see how awkwardly implemented that will be shoved in the game. =D
There is no chance it's in the game unless it's tongue-in-cheek or ironic.
I really hope that the spirit of Unity is like ACIV instead of ACIII, but I'm a little worried because they've set it in a big historical event (like III), and although the events of the French Revolution are infinitely more awesome as far as I'm concerned than those of the American Revolution (Storming of the Bastille, Tennis Court Oath, the rise of Robespierre and the Thermidorian Reaction, etc.) I worry that they'll just play it like III, 'remember this cool historical event? well you helped the good guys!' (maybe without the temptation to paint the revolutionaries as the good guys in the same way as with III they'll stop doing that a little).
The Storming of the Bastille has been romanticized to hell. It really wasn't a significant event. It was only important symbolically. And depending on your status and where you were housed in the Bastille it really didn't function like a prison -- it was more like house arrest. The FR was more brutal with the September Massacres and The Terror, but "more awesome" than the American Revolution? Not really.

I am. I appreciate Ubisoft's attempts at diversity, but Conor was boring and anti-charismatic. And there's just no comparison that can be made between the cities of Europe and those of the American colonies at the time AC3 was set. The former had more of everything: history, architecture, people, culture. Europe, with cities over a millennium old at the time AC3 was set, is just a much better setting for the AC games than the U.S. at its founding. Heck, let's just look at traversal - what would you rather climb? This?

Christ_Church_Phila_crop.JPG

or this?

NotreDameParis.jpg

If AC3 were the last game they'd ever make, then sure, I'd be upset that they chose that setting over eveything else (maybe, I really did like it so I don't know lol). But, it wasn't. I just have a personal interest in that setting.

Besides, climbing through trees and up cliffs is just as amazing (but certainly more fluid and dynamic) as climbing the greatest architectural feats in the previous games.

Toa TAK

Banned
There is no chance it's in the game unless it's tongue-in-cheek or ironic.
It'll be in there, damn it!
The Storming of the Bastille has been romanticized to hell. It really wasn't a significant event. It was only important symbolically. And depending on your status and where you were housed in the Bastille it really didn't function like a prison -- it was more like house arrest. The FR was more brutal with the September Massacres and The Terror, but "more awesome" than the American Revolution? Not really.

My man.

sjay1994

So CG trailer at Ubi and demo at Sony as per usual?

That was just last year only... how is it usual?

If Shinobi's info is true there are 2 demos, one SP one Co-op.

If that's the case, then the Sp will be at ubis conference, and the co-op might be at Sony's.

hesido

That's the best Unity game I've seen so far!
I kid.

Anyway, this looks friggin awesome. I don't see why next gen can't handle that massive crowd. Devs have done amazing things with crowds even in previous gen.

Squire

Banned
I'm pretty sure AC4 is what 3 should have been... Hope this game keeps the option for naval combat. Would be a shame just to dump it all.

Also: a protagonist with a personality. Please go the Edward/Ezio route, Ubi. There needn't be any more additions to the Connor/Aiden line of characterization.

Which is to say, none.

I don't know, when I think of what didn't work in Revelations (Ezio outstaying his welcome, a lacklusture city, that damn tower defence game), I don't see it being replicated in Unity. I'm just hoping that this game feels like a fresh start.

Also: a protagonist with a personality. Please go the Edward/Ezio route, Ubi. There needn't be any more additions to the Connor/Aiden line of characterization.

Which is to say, none.
This is false. You didn't like him or couldn't relate, but to say Connor had no personality is flat out wrong. Please read my link above as it details what made Connor unique better than I can.

Elios83

God no! Revelations is the weakest link. This is going to turn into a disaster.

The problems behind Revelations were basically that they didn't know what to do with Ezio and his story anymore. So the game ended with a single city, a shitty story, disconnected missions with Altair used as fillers and shitty forced minigames like tower defense (argh!!).
With the possibilities given by having a totally new setting and being the first truly next gen game in the series, I think that these issues will be avoided automatically.

Phlebas

Banned
I know this is unpopular but I'm hoping for more real world shenanigans this time around compared to AC IV.

The only thing that keeps me coming back is the first civilization plotline as the rest of the story didn't really interest me at all.

Harlequin

This is false. You didn't like him or couldn't relate, but to say Connor had no personality is flat out wrong. Please read my link above as it details what made Connor unique better than I can.

He may have had a personality but it was that of a generic, cheesy, can-do-no-wrong Hollywood hero who always does and thinks what's morally correct from a modern standpoint even during a time when almost nobody would have agreed with him. He wasn't authentic and he wasn't interesting. The only good thing about him was his father...and he looked kinda hot after getting a mohawk. But other than that he was utterly boring IMO. But then again, he fit into AC3's story perfectly that way.

I actually really liked the tone that Revelations set. If they could add some variety and innovation to that core, I bet the game will be great. At least it's not AC3's director.

He may have had a personality but it was that of a generic, cheesy, can-do-no-wrong Hollywood hero who always does and thinks what's morally correct from a modern standpoint even during a time when almost nobody would have agreed with him. He wasn't authentic and he wasn't interesting. The only good thing about him was his father...and he looked kinda hot after getting a mohawk. But other than that he was utterly boring IMO. But then again, he fit into AC3's story perfectly that way.
And this was a character flaw. What did it get him in the end? I'd see your point if this ended on a generic, cheesy, cliche Hollywood note but it didn't. And I don't know of any Hollywood movie male action hero with the innocence, naivety and integrity that Connor posseses while being so softly spoken yet articulate and never using English contractions.

Ateron

pull-me-back-in.gif

I don't know if they're gonna change anything significantly, and while I had fun with AC IV I think the series is growing stale (the same combat, missions, animus bullshit, etc) but man..the fact that you'll be able to climb real buildings again and not just windmills,palm trees and cabins makes me all giddy.

So is anyone still doubtful that the teaser video might be 'smoke and mirrors'?

The thing that wouldn't surprise me is that if Ubisoft has this running real-time on PS4 hardware at E3, there's still gonna be people screaming bloody murder because of the Watch Dogs reveal. Yeah. It won't be over at E3.

I mean, look at that Arkham Knight gameplay trailer. That was absolutely amazing for an open-world. Hopefully we get more and more impressive Next-Gen games during E3 so we can finally have a concensus on the status quo for Next-Gen graphics.

rdrr gnr

Have they confirmed Napoleon?
Given that one image hinted at an older Lavoisier, my guess is that we might get a very young Napoleon, but really he wasn't a major force during the early section of the revolution. If this is a three game arc like Ezio, then yes most definitely. Too lazy to Google and verify, but I think he was enrolled in a military academy at the time.

Lingitiz

Does that mean Brotherhood team did IV? That explains why IV is the best game. And ACR CD making Unity also explains why I have little hype for this game.

I doubt any of those teams actually stay solidified. There's probably set creative directions and heads of sections of the games, but it's probably all hands on deck everytime one of these reaches crunch time.

A lifeless, white lead with a singular goal for glory on the seas with the player just collecting stuff from a checklist vs http://sigma.co.vu/post/87256801856/ratonhnhake-ton-and-how-relevant-he-is-to-mass-media ?

Now sure, I'm over simplifying AC4 for the sake of my argument but they are two different games and I personally am grateful that ubi gave us a daring and unothodox game that went against the grain with AC3. It's also no surprise why AC4 gets more praise...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who loved AC3 for breaking the mold (and I actually liked the game too) Maybe its because I picked it up way after release and didn't go into it with any high expectations, but it gets way to much criticism and not enough praise.

Harlequin

And this was a character flaw. What did it get him in the end? I'd see your point if this ended on a generic, cheesy, cliche Hollywood note but it didn't. And I don't know of any Hollywood movie male action hero with the innocence, naivety and integrity that Connor posseses while being so softly spoken yet articulate and never using English contractions.

Either way, he was boring and that's what matters in the end. I wasn't the least bit interested in his story or what happened to him which is not due to my lack of trying. Seriously, I cared more for Haytham than I did for Connor and that's saying something, considering Haytham is supposed to be an antagonist in the game. The whole of AC3's story was just awful. I hope we won't see a repeat of that in Unity as I would hate to see them butcher such an interesting setting with an awful story.

Top Bottom