• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed: Unity microtransaction shop wasn't fully live in retail copies

gogosox82

If this is true, this is a new low. Its one thing to have microtransations but to hide them from review copies is another. I remember listening to the Bombcast and Jeff made it sound like all of that stuff was disabled b/c it was a review copy and he was playing off line not like it was disabled b/c they didn't want reviewers to see it and tell people the prices but maybe I'm remembering it wrong.

I don't see anything wrong with having microtransactions, it's optional, they're not forcing anyone to purchase anything. Maybe Ubisoft is not earning enough money so they're trying new things.

Matty8787

I don't see anything wrong with having microtransactions, it's optional, they're not forcing anyone to purchase anything. Maybe Ubisoft is not earning enough money so they're trying new things.

Micro transactions are a problem when they change the pacing of the game to accommodate them and stick chests behind them etc.

Between the crappy frame rate and other graphical issues; plus micro transactions - Ubisoft is making my decision to avoid the latest AC , easier and easier.

Cheers

Yasae

Banned
Micro transactions are a problem when they change the pacing of the game to accommodate them and stick chests behind them etc.
They didn't do that. It's easy to cheese the economy if you want with co-op and cafe income. The nomad and initiates chests involve no forced microtransactions. Nothing is locked behind a pay wall.

It's a bloody terrible design choice to have those chests in-game, but get your facts straight before you post on this subject again.

In b4 "Ubisoft Defender!"

Kieli

If someone wants to pay a buck to receive a special weapon that would make game a bit easier, why not, it's a choice.

No.

Just no.

No.

Fucking garbage design right there. How about the developer have some respect for their consumers and include this "special weapon" as side-content you can get by yourself (like Dark Soul's Drake Sword).

Nah, I'll nickle and dime the consumers. Please don't get me wrong, I'm not making games for gamers because I love games. I'm a businessman in a suit ordering the creatives to design skinner boxes custom-built to wring every last bloody drop of money from these meat-puppets that enter my skinner box.

Yasae

Banned
No.

Just no.

No.

Fucking garbage design right there. How about the developer have some respect for their consumers and include this "special weapon" as side-content you can get by yourself (like Dark Soul's Drake Sword).

Nah, I'll nickle and dime the consumers. Please don't get me wrong, I'm not making games for gamers because I love games. I'm a businessman in a suit ordering the creatives to design skinner boxes custom-built to wring every last bloody drop of money from these meat-puppets that enter my skinner box.
That's a better choice, however you can get most weapons without paying any real money. And like I said, the in-game economy can be broken to pieces if you want it that way. Thus the game isn't balanced around microtransactions because it can be exploited through other means regardless.

These are all done as a time-saver. Playing through other games like Dragon Age and its sequel, the DLC sets were good throughout the entire game. You could pay to have something better than nearly any other loot, and the usage requirements weren't stiff.

That's a worse implementation to me, but did we have ten threads on it?

Top Bottom