• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Unity |OT| Liberté, égalité, parité

neilka

Any way to VPN and unlock this early on Uplay?
I'm also interested in hearing if anyone's tried this. I've preloaded (in the UK) but as the US didn't have a preload I'm not sure what will happen if I try a VPN unlock today. Worst case is the client gets very confused and starts the download from scratch...

Enjoying the game on PS4, but that framerate at times is brutal and the pop in is even worse. I'll try the suggestion of disconnecting it from the internet tomorrow and see if that helps at all.

Riddler

I'm really enjoying the game, glitchiness and everything.

Just finished the prologue myself and despite falling through the world 2x I'm also loving the game.

The pop. Density,animations and so many buildings with interiors with no loading is very impressive.

fernoca

Barely starting (Sequence 1 Memory 3)...
Looks better than expected! Granted, my TV is 24" but doesn't look blurry or bad, quite great. Some aspects like hair are not the best, but considering the size...is no biggie.

Yeah, pop-in is noticeable here and there on moments with tons of characters on screen. At the same time, is not as obvious if you just play the game. I just played that scene from the video above and the only way to notice it is if you go and walk around the crowd, back and forth, etc. When all you're supposed to do in that scene is just walk to either end and look for one character...then you just leave that area. Kinda like "oh, so many people...ok! there's my guy".

It still manages to be quite impressive, specially the lighting. I do agree that in moments there's no need to so many NPCs, since they usually get in the way of running and evading. But combined with the size of everything, is great.

No slowdown or glitches at the moment, though again I'm early...and most reports said it's later.

But so far, more than pleased. After the strong focus on piracy and naval battles in the previous two games, making me wish for something back to the "days of Ezio", guess I got what I wanted. Looking forward to see what the storyline brings...or takes.

Genuine question: How on earth does disconnecting from the Internet improve frame rate and pop in?!

Ubisoft games are heavily connected to server backends for Uplay data server tracking.

When Just Dance 2015 launched, the game hitched a few times per song as it was uploading/download mix video data for other dances.

In Assassin's Creed, all your actions are tracked on the AC Initiates website. ALL of your actions. (Time running on a tree branch, animals skinned, accuracy, etc.) And that's on ALL the AC games.

Because the servers are getting hammered right now, the game needs to retry sending that data a lot, and apparently they sucked at multi-thread programming.

kubus

Well I just replayed the (very early game spoilers)
escape the Bastille
memory with internet disabled on ps4 but framedrops still appeared in the same areas. Not seeing much of an improvement overall in fps.

Yesterday the game seemed much more smooth, but maybe it was because I was watching my SO playing instead of playing myself, or because the later chapters are better optimized or something. Or maybe it was just my imagination.

I'll keep playing like this, see if I notice any improvements. But not getting my hopes up.

I really wish they scaled down on the NPC crowds, they literally add nothing to the game and all they do is hog up memory. During chases and when you're being pursued by guards it can become very frustrating when the framerate takes a dive and you end up missing jumps or otherwise messing up while freerunning.

Also lol at "we went with 30fps because it's a better fit for AC" when the game is struggling to stay at 25fps consistently.

artsi

Genuine question: How on earth does disconnecting from the Internet improve frame rate and pop in?!

Maybe if the games uses resources for some always online features, but I think it's just placebo when people are desperate to get more frames. But I don't know.

benzy

If Ninja Gaiden 2 was able to have a patch to remove the amount of enemies at the epic slowdown staircase battle to improve frame rate, then Ubisoft can do the same. Question is are they smart enough to make that decision?

Altima

Cannot connect to uplay while I play online flawlessly on PS4.

This is super annoying that I cannot open yellow chest because of this.

No clue, was curious about it myself. I figured I'd try any suggestion out there. The game is good, but I can't help and think they could have made this game run more smoothly, at times it feels worse than what I played on previous gen consoles.

tmespe

If Ninja Gaiden 2 was able to have a patch to remove the amount of enemies at the epic slowdown staircase battle to improve frame rate, then Ubisoft can do the same. Question is are they smart enough to make that decision?

Far Cry 3 stayed in the mid to low 20 on previous gen consoles, with no patch to increase performance. It seems Ubisoft has no regards to performance on their games.

Well I just replayed the (very early game spoilers)
escape the Bastille
memory with internet disabled on ps4 but framedrops still appeared in the same areas. Not seeing much of an improvement overall in fps.

Yesterday the game seemed much more smooth, but maybe it was because I was watching my SO playing instead of playing myself, or because the later chapters are better optimized or something. Or maybe it was just my imagination.

I'll keep playing like this, see if I notice any improvements. But not getting my hopes up.

I really wish they scaled down on the NPC crowds, they literally add nothing to the game and all they do is hog up memory. During chases and when you're being pursued by guards it can become very frustrating when the framerate takes a dive and you end up missing jumps or otherwise messing up while freerunning.

Also lol at "we went with 30fps because it's a better fit for AC" when the game is struggling to stay at 25fps consistently.

Agreed 100%, sure it's cool at some points seeing a bunch of NPC's, but they add nothing to the game. If they decrease them by a certain percentage, I'm sure what they were going for wouldn't take a hit. It's just so disappointing because what I played so far I really like, the performance just ruins a few moments.

No clue, was curious about it myself. I figured I'd try any suggestion out there. The game is good, but I can't help and think they could have made this game run more smoothly, at times it feels worse than what I played on previous gen consoles.

Ouch. I had trouble enjoying AC Brotherhood on PS3 because of constant frame rate stutter. If it drops in combat scenarios I don't mind that so much. As I will be doing my utmost to completely avoid combat in AC Unity anyway. Stealth all the way!

Thanks for everyone explaining the whole server side stuff. Didn't even know Unity was tracking that amount of player data.

I really really hope they can improve the frame rate and pop in with a patch. Just lowering the npc's would help loads. And barely anyone would notice.

Bebpo

Banned
The only thing I dislike early is the feathers showing up on the mini-map. Kind of hate when all the collectibles are shown right on the map, gets rid of the feeling of exploring and finding stuff and instead is just about chasing icons on a map.

Running is still a bit glitchy in tight spaces, but the new controls are definitely nice for descending.

Don't like the locked chests that require other games to open. I mean I'd play that other stuff anyhow, but don't make it so forced and apparent.

Oh and the E-SHOP being the first thing in the pause menu for BUY HELIX POINTS is pretty sickening for a full price $60-90 game.

Otherwise, looks gorgeous, plays great, feels like it's shedding a ton of the AC:B->AC4 excess and going back to AC2 NEXT-GEN. Everything about the game feels like they're just trying to copy the success of AC2...which I'm fine with because I still feel like AC2 was the best one.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Revolutionary Paris having a population of 15 is going to look very stupid.

DrBo42

Think the scale of the city is pretty much second to none. Really impressive. Makes the performance problems from the crowd all the more infuriating and confusing. So unnecessary.

16BitNova

Funny this is being mentioned. I actually experienced this issue first hand with another Ubisoft game. Watchdogs. This Issue is very real. Basically what would happen is, my framerate and everything would be fine, but, then I would go hop into a multiplayer match. The match itself would be somewhat laggy. Then when the match was over I would return to single player. But, you must remember single player and multiplayer were seamlessly intergrated (just like Unity apparently is too). The lag from the multiplayer would pretty much follow me into single player in the form of slower frame rate and also very noticeable screen tearing.

Seems to be what's happening here. The worlds being always connected to have that seamless single player to multiplayer experience may be causing an issue. I remember with Watchdogs, the only way to fix it would be to exit the game to the main menu and reload my game.

Vintage

Hello, I never played any AC Game yet.
But bought Black Flag + Unity for $39.
Can I Play both Games without playing The First AC Games?

Desmond's story ended with AC3, AC4 is a fresh start so yes, you can play AC4.
Don't know whether Unity's story is related to previous games, I'm also curious.

ZeroX03

Banned
The frame rate and pop-in is atrocious. Frankly, I'll be more than willing for them to cut out a large portion of the NPC's if it means a stable frame rate.

Going from Black Flag's 1080p, rock solid 30fps to this is severely jarring. I do hope they release a patch for this.

Atedos

Do we have those huge tables with different editions and their contents for AC:U
And season pass - only one DLC and one mini-game? That's pretty short "season"...

DryvBy

the further into the game the worse the frame rate gets :( how did ubisoft say "yeah guys this looks good"

I kind of want to switch this with someone else at Target now. I did the buy 1 get 1 free on their website. I didn't want it anyway due to parity, but I figured it wasn't that bad knowing it was "free". But you guys have me a bit worried now.

This game is insane. If you have even a tiny bit of game development knowledge you'll know this game is using some sorcery to get all this shit running. It runs poor at times and is not very polished, but sweet crap I can't understand how they managed all this.

I'm with you guys that perhaps lowering the crowd ambition a tad for increased performance would have been ideal. How do they have so many chars on screen?!?

Also their facial capture compared to previous games is astounding. Great work. (And acting)

The frame rate and pop-in is atrocious. Frankly, I'll be more than willing for them to cut out a large portion of the NPC's if it means a stable frame rate.

Going from Black Flag's 1080p, rock solid 30fps to this is severely jarring. I do hope they release a patch for this.

They should definitely cut down on NPC. No matter how immersive 1000 NPCs may be, mass framerate drop will always ruins that immersion.

Where are the reviews?

I like to imagine that we're all waiting on a single guy employed by EA to crawl out of bed, get ready, drive in to work and click "update" on Origin.

I can buy that... If only because they seem to have their budget spent on forum watchers. Two threads have been removed off the origin forums asking about Unity so far.

Watched my brother play some earlier on his PS4 and the frame rate was quite choppy. It seems like the PS4 is really struggling with this game, although I must say some of the visuals were jaw-dropping. The lighting in particular is amazing in some areas, and the environments are exquisitely detailed. Still, it's a shame they couldn't at least get the game to run at a solid 30 FPS on consoles. It makes me wonder just how demanding it is on PC, especially since AC IV gave my GTX 780 all it could handle and this game looks considerably better.

ZeroX03

Banned
You guys ever wanted to play Assassin's Creed 2 at a matching 2FPS? Here's your chance!

Where are the reviews?

From IGN:

Ubisoft’s embargo on Assassin’s Creed Unity requires us to wait until 12PM Eastern/9AM Pacific tomorrow before posting our full review. Please check back at that time to get the full story!

Assassin’s Creed Rogue, unfortunately, is a different situation: Ubisoft has declined to provide advance review copies at all. As of this writing, we still don’t have it. But we will soon, and we’ll have impressions for you as soon as we can, followed by our full review. We apologize for the wait!

xKryll

Neo Member
Been playing the game for a couple of hours now, haven't done any of the main story besides the mandatory beginning (I like to do all the viewpoints before I do anything else). I have pretty much the same experience as everyone else does on here.

It's a beautiful game if you really slow down and take a look at the detail of everything and just take in the sights but the frame rate really is a big bummer on here. Even while running along the rooftops with no NPCs in immediate view it drops and becomes pretty frustrating to watch and run through. In terms of animations I feel it's been pretty smooth and it's a lot less troublesome to scale down buildings but to me the combat feels a bit heavy and robotic.

Good game so far from what I've seen, just as of right now too bugged down by frame rate and an unnecessary amount of people on the screen. It can feel a bit overwhelming at times with the huge crowd you're constantly having to shuffle through if you're on the ground.

Edit: Playing on Xbox One

Runs great maxed out on a 770 4gb card... But these textures, there's so many pop in issues, and at any distance over 200m or so, they just don't render. Faces and apparel on people in crowds is atrocious too. Then there's the whole, AC Initiates and Chests not working lol. How do Ubisofts servers crash from AC? It's not like a swarm of people are trying to play multiplayer yet lol.

On a positive note, the controlled free running changes are AWESOME.

Runs great maxed out on a 770 4gb card... But these textures, there's so many pop in issues, and at any distance over 200m or so, they just don't render. Faces and apparel on people in crowds is atrocious too. Then there's the whole, AC Initiates and Chests not working lol. How do Ubisofts servers crash from AC? It's not like a swarm of people are trying to play multiplayer yet lol.
What CPU are you using?

What CPU are you using?

4670k 4.6 ghz

Allow me to post this as illustration of my point, This is with every setting at the highest Value

FFC3DED671BFB950EECDCDC7B31E1E9DBAC55EB4

Top Bottom