• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Valhalla peaked at 11,522 players today.

Kurotri

Can't wait for the series' future, even though I thought Valhalla was inferior to Odyssey and Origins I still enjoyed my time with it and love the series. Good that even more people can jump into this now.

Fart Knight

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Sheep Eating GIF

Still too many

SJRB

Gold Member
Can't wait for the series' future, even though I thought Valhalla was inferior to Odyssey and Origins I still enjoyed my time with it and love the series. Good that even more people can jump into this now.

The upcoming Mirage going back to basics certainly feels like a step in the right direction.

No RPG nonsense, no skill trees, no ridiculously large world, no padding, no bloat. Just an assassin in a big city hunting down targets.

K' Dash

The upcoming Mirage going back to basics certainly feels like a step in the right direction.

No RPG nonsense, no skill trees, no ridiculously large world, no padding, no bloat. Just an assassin in a big city hunting down targets.

I wanted to try these RPG like AC so I just chose one, I'm pretty Happy with Odyssey, have no plans to play Valhalla or Origins and for sure will play Mirage.

Gamezone

Gold Member

They should skip that modern crap part too.

Certinty

Genuinely one of the most meh games I’ve played in recent years. Starts off just fine but dear God after a while it’s the most drawn out repetitive piece of shit I’ve come across. No idea what Ubisoft were thinking, literally the definition of quantity over quality.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Genuinely one of the most meh games I’ve played in recent years. Starts off just fine but dear God after a while it’s the most drawn out repetitive piece of shit I’ve come across. No idea what Ubisoft were thinking, literally the definition of quantity over quality.

I second this. And I 100% Origins and all DLC + 100% base Odyssey game. Valhalla is just too much.

Roufianos

Every second of that game felt like I was dragging my feet through mud. Such a chore to play. How on earth is it so popular.

Last edited:

Chukhopops

11k isn’t that great, there are literally more people playing Skyrim or Fallout 4 on Steam right now.

I dropped Valhalla within hours despite finishing Origins and Odyssey, couldn’t handle how dumb the story was.

Gamezone

Gold Member
11k isn’t that great, there are literally more people playing Skyrim or Fallout 4 on Steam right now.

I dropped Valhalla within hours despite finishing Origins and Odyssey, couldn’t handle how dumb the story was.
You are comparing it to games who were released on Steam decades ago and sold tens of millions.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting

You realize a) this game was already released and played extensively two years ago and 2) that it is the most successful entry in a series that was already their most successful IP.

. . .and opinions are opinions, but I struggle to believe that a "played for straight" Viking adventure story is somehow "dumber" than any of the AC games (especially the originals) that came before it.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
so black flags is still the best one to play if you never played AC?
black flag made me a fan and Ive been disappointed ever since.

Assassin's Creed: Black Flag was my favorite, but Assassin's Creed: Origins was actually pretty decent. Assassin's Creed: Odyssey was too big, and the plot was weird to me. But I would say Assassin's Creed: Origins is definitely worth playing, along with Assassin's Creed: Black Flag and Assassin's Creed II. Those were the hits. The original Assassin's Creed holds a special place in my heart for just being an original concept and a great game about being an assassin in a non-modern time period. I honestly wish they would reboot Assassin's Creed and ditch all of the Abstergo stuff. Just have games about assassins in different time periods.

Last edited:

Chukhopops

You realize a) this game was already released and played extensively two years ago and 2) that it is the most successful entry in a series that was already their most successful IP.

. . .and opinions are opinions, but I struggle to believe that a "played for straight" Viking adventure story is somehow "dumber" than any of the AC games (especially the originals) that came before it.
What I found really dumb is the way assassins are introduced in valhalla, they literally pop out of nowhere and give you the blade weapon just like that without any explanation. Same with Harald (a somewhat important character from a historical perspective), the templars, everything really.

Compare that to the story of Bayek or Kassandra where hours pass before the MC gets involved in the overall AC plot, it feels rushed in Valhalla basically.

Also the accents were just killing my immersion but that’s a personal opinion.

Rykan

Also the accents were just killing my immersion but that’s a personal opinion.
I'm glad to find people who agree. I hate the way Ubisoft does accents in games. Either use the native language of the character or a native english dialect, but stop with the borderline offensive stereotype accents.

Kuranghi

I think I'll replay Unity soon, I'm not building a new PC now* so I'll just replay it on PC at 4K, max settings and lock to 30fps since 4K + some MSAA is insanely demanding for a GTX 1080. To lock to 60fps you have to crush the settings/res and I'd rather just have a stable experience even if it has to be 30fps.

*Unless AMD pulls it out the bag with something that actually compares to nvidia [outside of RT ofc] and the pricing is stupid in the UK, low chance of the former and no chance of the latter

oji-san

Banned
Best AC for me, gameplay and setting wise.
Then Odyssey for Kassandra and kinda tide up with Origins tho Origins story is probably the most i liked from the 3.
Didn't enjoy any of the titles before Origins.

Oberstein

I really tried to like Valhalla, but it was impossible. It's literally the definition of "bloated". This game needs a director's cut to remove, at least, 50% of the completely uninteresting story regions. That and the fact that they don't give a shit about the historical aspect anymore.

Darby McDewitt is also a huge disappointment. It's probably the most uninteresting plot in the series and Eivor never develops as a character.

Odyssey remains the last AC that gave me fun.

Spyxos

Pretty solid numbers for a game released in 2020. User reviews are currently mixed, mainly because of Ubisoft's unwillingness to add basic Steam features like achievements, and giving players who requested the feature a solid "Won't happen now or in the future".

[/URL]
I played through it with the 2 addons. At some point I just forced myself to play through it. I had absolutely no fun anymore. When I think about it, it happens more often with Ubisoft games. And Assa Ragnarok I couldn't even touch anymore.

yurinka

Valhalla was the best selling, top grossing AC game before releasing on Steam, by February it had generated over $1B in revenue.

So I assume most of the people who wanted to play it already did it before it released on Steam.

Last edited:
The biggest problem with the series is stagnation. Anyone that has beaten Origin, Odyssey, and then Valhalla, was probably feeling that towards the second half of Valhalla. I know that I was. Despite the polish and solid story, it became somewhat of a slog. This is the same problem with Far Cry but FC feels far more stagnant as I felt 6 was a fucking slog and only finished the game so I didn’t feel like I wasted my money.

Ubisoft needs to really take a hard look and change up their formula. I feel like some of Sony’s first party games are trending down this path as well, we are probably a couple more releases away from feeling it, at least I am.

hyperbertha

That the series was heading in a bloated boring open world direction was clear right from origins. It got exacerbated in odyssey, and simply unbearable in Valhally. People shouldn't have bought odyssey. It told ubisoft people wanted bloat.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
That the series was heading in a bloated boring open world direction was clear right from origins. It got exacerbated in odyssey, and simply unbearable in Valhally. People shouldn't have bought odyssey. It told ubisoft people wanted bloat.

Odyssey is actually good tho. It went completely off the rails with valhalla imo.

Thief1987

The biggest problem with the series is stagnation. Anyone that has beaten Origin, Odyssey, and then Valhalla, was probably feeling that towards the second half of Valhalla. I know that I was. Despite the polish and solid story, it became somewhat of a slog. This is the same problem with Far Cry but FC feels far more stagnant as I felt 6 was a fucking slog and only finished the game so I didn’t feel like I wasted my money.

Ubisoft needs to really take a hard look and change up their formula. I feel like some of Sony’s first party games are trending down this path as well, we are probably a couple more releases away from feeling it, at least I am.
Why do they need to break the mold? People obviously love the games they make so it would make sense for them from both a money perspective and critical reception of the fans, to keep on trucking.

Why do they need to break the mold? People obviously love the games they make so it would make sense for them from both a money perspective and critical reception of the fans, to keep on trucking.
Simple. Far Cry 6 sold worse than Far Cry 5, and the last 3 Assassins' Creed games didn't even sell as good as AC3 or Black Flag. Meanwhile, Elden Ring is by far and away the most successful game FromSoftware has even made so its pretty clear that formula hasn't begun to wear thin.

Thief1987

Simple. Far Cry 6 sold worse than Far Cry 5, and the last 3 Assassins' Creed games didn't even sell as good as AC3 or Black Flag. Meanwhile, Elden Ring is by far and away the most successful game FromSoftware has even made so its pretty clear that formula hasn't begun to wear thin.
I don't know where you got your data, but Valhalla actually is a single game in the franchise that made more than billion $ in revenue, so it's pretty similar to Elden Ring, eh?

Last edited:
I don't know where you got your data, but Valhalla actually is a single game in the franchise that made more than billion $ in revenue, so it's pretty similar to Elden Ring, eh?
I did more research, turns out you are right. I hope you got from this what you were looking for, but still pretty weird you took the time to comb through my post history to post something I said back at me. We all need hobbies, I guess.

Regardless, games feel stagnant to me, which is truthfully the only metric that I personally care about.

Last edited:
Top Bottom