• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Valhalla: PS5 vs Xbox Series X Graphics Comparison

Fun fact: PS5 comparisons would not still be embargoed if PS5 multiplatform games were running equal or better to XSX.

Sony arent running a charity over there. I also find it worth noting that Xbox reviews still have some most powerful talk when they have the PS5 on the other input.

Readying mustard to eat my hat.

Shmunter

Fun fact: PS5 comparisons would not still be embargoed if PS5 multiplatform games were running equal or better to XSX.

Sony arent running a charity over there. I also find it worth noting that Xbox reviews still have some most powerful talk when they have the PS5 on the other input.

Yes, except the Ubisoft & Dirt launch deals are with Xbox. So if there is anything to hide, it’s not coming from the Sony side.

Rheon

Rubbish! Will have to wait for DF for a real comparison.

In the meantime, here’s a video showing Xbox One, SS and SX.

You’re welcome to start a new thread with it.

Much better comparison.

From this video, am I right in assuming the One X outputs Valhalla in native 4K?

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
sure why doesnt the cunt justy smear some vaseline over the screen and upload the whole lot at 540p... graphics comparison my arse.. i'll wait till the credible lads over at DF & my man NXGamer do an actual proper comparison, im not giving that cunt a click

Yes, except the Ubisoft & Dirt launch deals are with Xbox. So if there is anything to hide, it’s not coming from the Sony side.

PS5 reviews happened, yet the bargos continue. The podcasts I've listened to bite their tongue when the comparison moment is about to happen. I think it's more possible Sony want the megaton on their launch day rather than on Xbox's launch, but that seems weird to me at this point. Comparisons will dilute the message of the other WOW factors the console has with launch day users on twitter: controller and load times. Even reviewers were only allowed to talk about these features in a very specific time and date way. Seems like they are preventing a certain type of info from getting out.

Last edited:

Night.Ninja

Banned
Why do people get so hung up on comparing these games, the games coming out basically last gen games upscaled for the new consoles.

I can't wait for these engines to built exclusively on nextgen hardware.

Vae_Victis

Banned
PS5 reviews happened, yet the bargos continue.
Where?

There are zero PS5 reviews listed on Metacritic.

mitchman

Gold Member
I have this game both on PS4 Pro and XSX (yeah, double dipped because I got the XSX as a surprise) and the XSX is slightly darker by default. Visually, there isn't a whole lot difference that I remember, except for frame rate and resolution.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
We're already seeing the consequences of it. PS5 is showing more stable framerates, less tearing, higher quality textures, and probably higher resolution. You can keep denying it all you want, but XSX is looking more like the PS3 than the PS4.

is there something wrong in yer head mate? ive read some horsehit before but you take the fucking biscuit tin you unholy twat.. XSX looking more PS3... PS5 showing more stable framerates... its one fucking game you clampett, its a launch game, the dev's are just getting their shit together and already you're calling it... fuck me lads, pack away your XSX this cunt has spoken

Where?

There are zero PS5 reviews listed on Metacritic.

On YouTube, there have been videos labeled PS5 reviews for a few days from major sites. I figured these were they, but apparently scores are embargoed for reviews? That is sure something.

Edit: I was talking about PS5 reviews happening, and yet the consoles can still not be compared.

The Xbox version does seem to be on fire, but I'm skeptical about why there are no comparisons to be found. I think people would be quick to shit on Xbox if it was truly falling behind their claims of the most powerful console. I had a great time last gen shitting on Xbox.

Last edited:

Vae_Victis

Banned
On YouTube, there have been videos labeled PS5 reviews for a few days from major sites. I figured these were they, but apparently scores are embargoed for reviews? That is sure something.
Multiple outlets have reported that no PS5 review copies have been sent in advance.

Can you produce a link to any of these reviews? Because I honestly can't find anything, let alone some from "major sites":

Also, the idea that a publisher is sending a review copy, allows for the publication of a review but the score itself is embargoed separately makes no sense whatsoever. This would be completely unheard of, and in any case we would have known about this already from websites publishing reviews and specifying why they can't assign the game a score. Review copies being given before release only for some platforms and not others, on the other hand, is relatively common.

If any real PS5 footage is floating around at all, it's either somebody who got a review copy but broke the embargo and published footage anyway (and I mean the "whole" embargo, not some strange selective embargo that allows them to talk about the game extensively and even show it but not to give it a score or make comparisons with other platforms), or a store copy that got leaked in the wild before release to somebody with access to a PS5.

Last edited:
Multiple outlets have reported that no PS5 review copies have been sent in advance.

Can you produce a link to any of these reviews? Because I honestly can't find anything, let alone some from "major sites":

Also, the idea that a publisher is sending a review copy, allows for the publication of a review but the score itself is embargoed separately makes no sense whatsoever. This would be completely unheard of, and in any case we would have known about this already from websites publishing reviews and specifying why they can't assign the game a score.

If any real PS5 footage is floating around at all, it's either somebody who got a review copy but broke the embargo and published footage anyway (and I mean the "whole" embargo, not some strange selective embargo that allows them to talk about the game extensively and even show it but not to give it a score or make comparisons with other platforms), or a store copy that got leaked in the wild before release to somebody with access to a PS5.

What I am saying is that the PS5 console reviews (which scores are on Metacritic) should have been the gloves off moment for direct comparisons between XSX and PS5. It was not.

There are not PS5 Assasin's Creed reviews, you are correct.

Shmunter

Also, the idea that a publisher is sending a review copy, allows for the publication of a review but the score itself is embargoed separately makes no sense whatsoever. This would be completely unheard of, and in any case we would have known about this already from websites publishing reviews and specifying why they can't assign the game a score. Review copies being given before release only for some platforms and not others, on the other hand, is relatively common.

Ubisoft and MS have the launch deal so that whenever the game is talked about, Xbox is part of the conversation. As such, Ubisoft is keeping a lid on the ps5 version. Especially critical if PS5 version is superior in any way.

Will be interesting in the coming days.

mitchman

Gold Member
Someone mentioned missing waves from the boat in the XSX version. I can only say that if this has been a problem in the past, it is fixed in the version patches as of today on the XSX.

assurdum

Banned

Why what? There are always exclusive marketing deal between the software house and Sony or MS. They both set an embargo for marketing reason. Lol.

Last edited:
From going from a stylish open word game with solid combat mechanics like ghosts of t....this game plays like shit

the opening area is extremely drab and boring.....it’s not going to be a looker on any console

As expected, both look very close. They look good, but it almost seems like the XSX version got the black crush thing going on again in some scenes.

Last edited:
This looks the same, the scene where she fights the dudes by the boat the sound is off or not very good. She knocks that dude into the boat, he falls in the water and there is no spashing sound. I stopped watch after that.

Thirty7ven

Banned
From going from a stylish open word game with solid combat mechanics like ghosts of t....this game plays like shit

the opening area is extremely drab and boring.....it’s not going to be a looker on any console

People seem high on the game, maybe you need to spend more time with it. Some games don’t click straight away.

geordiemp

you realise theres still xbox specific dev tools, apis etc right? MS is especially behind on the ray tracing tools

There is no ray tracing in Valhalla. Also the DX12 api is common. If anything, Ps5 has to take stuff developed in DX12 and convert it to their own apis for some 3rd party developments which is not an issue when ps5 is lead.

I expect both consoles to be similar, but people thinking TF is the only gaming metric is the issue here, there is so so much more.

XSX might still have some advantages, there are lots of things to consider and we have yet to see a proper analysis, but it is better to keep an open mind as each console is so different you cannot compare paper specs.

Last edited:
Calling XSX a 8 TF console is absolutely fine, but not what you called PS5! Enjoy your ban.

Well you can ask Bill O'Rights Bill O'Rights if it's fine.

I don't think it is because they also ban people got the Brute force comments. I also am sure that they would ban someone for claiming that the Xbox is an 8TF system.

Either way the numbers we got from Microsoft an Sony are theoretical maximums. It's up to the developers to optimize their code to take full advantage of these systems.

Last edited:

geordiemp

Well you can ask Bill O'Rights Bill O'Rights if it's fine.

I don't think it is because they also ban people got the Brute force comments. I also am sure that they would ban someone for claiming that the Xbox is an 8TF system.

Either way the numbers we got from Microsoft an Sony are theoretical maximums. It's up to the developers to optimize their code to take full advantage of these systems.

Ps5 is 10.3 TF, XSX is 12 TF, those are the maximum calcs the systems can do in theory. In practice for gaming lucky if its 40 % (Cerny).

So really in gaming they use about 4-5 TF applied in games and there is so much more to consider. And it is a function of the architecture and how it all comes together on silicon with apis, and finally dev code and engine.

All this talk of a TF console is incorrect, as we see when 6800XT at 20 TF matches performance of a 3800 at 30 TF in some benchmarks

Allandor

All this talk of a TF console is incorrect, as we see when 6800XT at 20 TF matches performance of a 3800 at 30 TF in some benchmarks
You can compare TF, if it is the same architecture. Well.. both consoles have kind of RDNA2 so it is more or less comparable. But well, everything around it can also have an impact (bandwidth, API/OS, ...) to what is practically useable.
TF are used as an indicator, but nothing more.

Last edited:

geordiemp

You can compare TF, if it is the same architecture. Well.. both consoles have kind of RDNA2 so it is more or less compareable. But well, everything around it can also have an impact (bandwidth, API/OS, ...) to what is practically useable.

No they are not the same arch, not even close.

One runs at 2.23 Ghz with cache coherency and cache scrubbers
One runs at 1.825 Ghz

One has 10 CU shader array, other has 14 CU shader array. Both have 4 shader arrays, XSX are much longer....extended lets call it..

Both have different Geometry engines, RB, wavefronts.

The CU will be of different design, Ps5 will have fine gated frequency control same as PC parts as per AMD slide on advanced CU. XSX is fixed. We will get the details soon with RDNA2 white paper.

In fact, what items do you think are the same on silicon ? Sounding the same does not count.

Last edited:
Ps5 is 10.3 TF, XSX is 12 TF, those are the maximum calcs the systems can do in theory. In practice for gaming lucky if its 40 % (Cerny).

So really in gaming they use about 4-5 TF applied in games and there is so much more to consider. And it is a function of the architecture and how it all comes together on silicon with apis, and finally dev code and engine.

Cerny’s 40% comment was in reference to how GCN ran instructions (once every four cycles). RDNA fixed that and utilization should be much higher now and even higher once we’re past the cross gen phase.

geordiemp

Cerny’s 40% comment was in reference to how GCN ran instructions (once every four cycles). RDNA fixed that and utilization should be much higher now and even higher once we’re past the cross gen phase.

Not really, RDNA2 from GCN was not a huge increase in perf, the 40 % is still a good understanding of TF to real world and how efficiencies make a huge difference.

The recent AMD paper on shared L1 cache gives an IPC gain of 1.5 x for some workloads (BVH). And we dont even know if consoles, PC or any parts have a shared L1....so much is unknown.

50 % more, there is so much left on the table to be gained.

Also 6800XT (20 TF) vs 3800 (30 TF) - do you think there are both such a high IPC there is nothing left lol

Last edited:
Not really, RDNA2 from GCN was not a huge increase in perf, the 40 % is still a good understanding of TF to real world and how efficiencies make a huge difference.

The recent AMD paper on shared L1 cache gives an IPC gain of 1.5 x for some workloads (BVH). And we dont even know if consoles, PC or any parts have a shared L1....so much is unknown.

50 % more, there is so much left on the table to be gained.

Also 6800XT (20 TF) vs 3800 (30 TF) - do you think there are both such a high IPC there is nothing left lol

I’m not talking about IPC or PPW. I’m talking about how ALUs handled shader instructions.

GCN GPUs could stall as much as 75% of the time waiting to launch new instructions. RDNA fixed that with the new dual compute units and SIMD, reducing latency by 44%-50%.

lKUT2tm.jpg

If the vector ALUs are stalling that often, utilization is trashed.

Last edited:

geordiemp

I’m not talking about IPC or PPW. I’m talking about how ALUs handled shader instructions.

GCN GPUs could stall as much as 75% of the time waiting to launch new instructions. RDNA fixed that with the new dual compute units and SIMD, reducing latency by 44%-50%.

lKUT2tm.jpg

If the vector ALUs are stalling that often, utilization is trashed.

We know that, and both 6800 XT and 3800 Nvidia dont have the the GCN issue, and yet 20 TF = 30 TF in performance benchmarks, and Nvidia 3800 is not GCN. This alone shows there is 30 % efficiencies in TF terms between 2 of the latest GPU cards.

The IPC of `1.5 x is an IPC of shader performance by sharing L1 on RDNA for BVH.

There are massive ranges in efficiencies with architecture differences is my point, you cannot compare 10 vs 12 TF which have different designs and frequencies.

You are suggesting GPU efficiency is so high 12 vs 10 TF thats it, both at high efficiency, which is not close to reality.

Does not matter anyway, we will see what the 17 % TF difference gives in benchmarks for 3rd parfty games so its moot.

Last edited:
So I've been playing Valhalla on my Series X all night long. Playing on a 55CX LG OLED, with ALLM, HDR, 120HZ and VRR enabled.

First thing first. The game looks stunning in person. I was very skeptical due to all the gameplay videos I've seen on youtube I thought it looked on par with Origins or Odyssey, perhaps even worse. In person though, it looks muuuuuch better. It honestly surprised me. Textures are great all around. The snow looks great The enrironments are lush with details.

Second, the boat do form ripples / waves when sailing. Not sure what happened in that video comparison. It's almost like the person was running the pc version at lower water settings or something.

Third, it's not a locked 60 fps. There are plenty or moments where the fps lower below 60. Usually it happens in villages / settlements or when there's truckloads or grass. It's not huge drops mind you but they are noticeable, even with VRR. Plenty of moments yes for sure, but not frequent overall. Game is mostly locked at 60, or appears to be anyway.

Fourth, it feels like sheated weapons sometimes have their animation running at 30 fps rather than 60 fps, but it seems like it only happens sometimes. It's weird.

Other than that, not a single crash. Not a single bug so far.

Didn't like Origins nor Odyssey enough to play them more than an hour. Been playing Valhalla for 7 hours straight. Hooked.

Top Bottom