• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassins's Creed PS4 is now 1080p with AA.

find it fascinating people are so surprised. launch system specs are like finalized last minute.

Makes sense that they can turn on more fun stuff now.

Ignoring marketing bullshit and promises, it is nice that studios can add in say, 1080p post launch now.

You rarely ever get major visual/performance changes in patches for current gen stuff.

vpance

Hmm, I wonder if this has to do with the initial push to hit parity? Perhaps now that other games have demonstrated a resolution difference they feel more comfortable implementing 1080p?

I had heard that they were having issues with the game on Xbox One and were considering dropping both to 900p for parity reasons.

With all these developers working quietly on their launch games I'm sure there was a lot of discussion on how important it was to match the two versions to eliminate any advantage.

Interesting theory. I guess BF4 was the spark.

Hmm. Anyone else beginning to think CoD and this being dropped to same resolution as XB1 was to give the appearance of equality while the media was reviewing and comparing versions?

Can someone think why these companies are sending out incomplete versions for final review, and in controlled circumstances when immediately afterwards there are updates to improve resolution/features?

This is inaccurate. IGNs review copy of COD Ghosts was in full 1080p so i would expect all other reviewers copies were as well

N.Domixis

Banned
It seems these devs were going for parity, but after seeing the ps4 out pacing in xbox one preorders they realized they could not gimp the console that was winning.

Hmm, I wonder if this has to do with the initial push to hit parity? Perhaps now that other games have demonstrated a resolution difference they feel more comfortable implementing 1080p?

I had heard that they were having issues with the game on Xbox One and were considering dropping both to 900p for parity reasons.

With all these developers working quietly on their launch games I'm sure there was a lot of discussion on how important it was to match the two versions to eliminate any advantage.

it's an interesting thought. i'm a bit skeptical though. certainly when you think about COD, which always demonstrated an advantage in multiplayer.

I'm just glad that even if they were trying to hit parity before, that they moved away from such silliness. There's really no point neutering one version to match the other. This isn't like Need For Speed, where they had it at full 1080p on Xbox One and added some subtle (though expensive) effects to the PS4 version.

For sure! Edge told us it would happen

It's cool that they're gonna patch in 1080p. It looks really good as it is now, but I'm looking forward to what it'll look like a after the patch now.

S1kkZ

so it never dips below 30 fps when displayed in 900p, but what happens after the patch? will the framerate stay the same?

Odrion

Banned
How can this game only be a 900p? There isn't that much difference between it and the version that is running on eight year old hardware. Did two people port it?

Skeff

Is there any proof of this?

So weren't consumers basically deceived into buying a game that was stated to be 1080p. Shouldn't they have had to legally state this before releasing the game?

ItIsOkBro

Imagine that eh? Companies shipping with parity to fulfill Microsoft's rumored mandate, and then patching in PS4's 1080p as a sort of loophole.

system11

Crazy times we live in.

This is actually one of the 'key' titles that made me want to keep my PS4, disappointed to find out it needs a patch to run correctly - they should offer to send out updated discs to people who request them too. When PSN is gone in a decade from now, consoles with title patches installed will end up being in demand.

I really hope the rumour above about them shooting for 'parity' is just that, a rumour. It would be a shame of the Xbox One holds games back. I also hope that it's not actually a case of 1080P demand resulting in them compromising the frame rate just to please vocal forum posters. If the PS4 really is fine with it at 1080 then brilliant, but if it's actually a choice between 900/30 and 1080/25-30, I'll pick 900 every time.

Of course the 'improved AA' might mean 'less AA' freeing up the horsepower for the resolution. I can dream, right?

Part of me hopes there is some MS mandate and that it becomes confirmed in the open - then all this could end, it would be politically impossible to continue with at that point.

tensuke

Certainly an...interesting theory, but I wouldn't give it much credence without proof. Occam's razor suggests they just simply needed a bit more time due to cross-gen/launch title woes.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
I'm on my phone at the moment but whats the word on Xbox One?

Will bail on it and pickup on PC if its 720p/900p.

antitrop

So weren't consumers basically deceived into buying a game that was stated to be 1080p. Shouldn't they have had to legally state this before releasing the game?

Of course they should have, just like Infinity Ward actually did.

More disingenuous console launch political bullshit to appease the overlords.

Cornbread78

I think we all know this is the case now and it is the worst case scenerio everyone talked about prior to launch. It looks like multi-plats will be pushed to parity prior to launch and once launched, then the changes can be made? Seems odd, but we were warned this would be the case with all NDAs out there and the parity demands. I still can;t tell if this is due to the devs not wanting to make one console look bad to piss them off, or was it demanded by the console maker? I don't knwo what to believe anymore, it's out of control. I just can;t wait to play the games...

ghst

thanks for the laugh
i'd put having to write PR pieces like that blog right next to "guy in the abattoir who picks up the leftover pieces of skull and brain after the bolt gun has done its thing" on my list of favourite jobs.

nikos

Popped this game in a little while ago, with the intention of trading it for Knack. It ended up hooking me instantly, so I'm going to keep it. Graphics were a bit underwhelming, mostly due to some aliasing, so this update will definitely be nice.

The reason behind this is probably that Ubisoft had to get the PS4 version out of the door to be ready for launch but received final dev kits rather late, so while the game shipped to be certified in time for launch, devs were still working on optimizing for final hardware.

Don't know what the big deal is really. I guess that is and has always been a launch symptom. The difference now is just that devs can actually patch games on consoles which they couldn't on older consoles. There you would have had to live with 900p.

Krisprolls

Banned
So when you buy your PS4 games and for reviewers, they look the same as Xbox One games, then you get the true resolution in a day 1 patch ? Same as CoD.

Sounds really shitty. If there's a difference, consumers should know, and so should reviewers.

Is this a new trend to force parity for reviews / sales then patch day one ?

mjc

Just out of interest, have any Xbone games been said to be getting a res patch? As in, officially.

Not that I've heard. But the half-baked readiness of all these launch games for both systems is pretty shitty. It's expected I suppose.

So when you buy your PS4 games and for reviewers, they look the same as Xbox One games, then you get the true resolution in a day 1 patch ? Same as CoD.

Sounds really shitty. If there's a difference, consumers should know, and so should reviewers.

Is this a new trend to force parity for reviews / sales then patch day one ?

Or maybe just, you know, they didn't get it done in time to press and ship discs.

jbartee

Dem next gen patches.

image.php

I lol'd

Top Bottom