• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassins's Creed PS4 is now 1080p with AA.

masteratt

For those who can't tell the difference, maybe these small GIFs will help:

ida3SiBBNX23X.gif

shake dat ass

border

To me the difference is rather dramatic.

The difference is dramatic when you look at zoomed in pictures when you're sitting 2 feet away from a monitor. It'll be less dramatic when you're sitting ten feet away from your TV and everything is in motion.

hawk2025

The difference is dramatic when you look at zoomed in pictures when you're sitting 2 feet away from a monitor. It'll be less dramatic when you're sitting ten feet away from your TV and everything is in motion.

The difference is dramatic when sailing at Travel Speed with the boat zoomed out. I couldn't believe how easy it was to tell by the detail on the ocean and the sails/masts of the boat.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

They're not zoomed in, the GIFs are captured 1:1 at 1080p vs 900p upscaled to 1080p. But yes, of course the difference will be less pronounced when sitting some distance from the TV (unless your TV is huge).

kevlar35

Banned

This is true and is most like the actual conditions under which people play consoles.

GameSeeker

Thank you Ubisoft for a nice patch.

The 1080p with improved AA looks significantly better than the 900p version. I know there are folks who claim they can't tell the difference between 900p and 1080p, but on my 60" 1080p television the difference is obvious. The sharpest picture will always be at the native resolution of the TV and not a scaled up image.

Does it tell you, that you can't use certain online features because a patch isn't installed?

That's what happened to me on the first patch.

Also Check notifications, then downloads and see if it says installed next to the AC one.

No but I deleted the game and then reinstalled it and have absolutely no way of telling if the patch was downloaded with it. There's no notifications to download anything Black Flag related. There is 1 "Game Updated" notification, but I'm not sure if that was for the patch or for the re installation.

Teddified

No but I deleted the game and then reinstalled it and have absolutely no way of telling if the patch was downloaded with it. There's no notifications to download anything Black Flag related. There is 1 "Game Updated" notification, but I'm not sure if that was for the patch or for the re installation.

Well if you start the game and it doesn't tell you that you can't do online without a patch, and automatically starts downloading it, you should be fine.

Also press Options on the AC4 icon and check update history it should be 1.02.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Would love to see all those ignorant resolution denialists in the games press speak up now.

I can't wait for the gifs flipping between 720p CoD and 1080p CoD.

USC-fan

Banned

You can check the update notes and it will tell you all the patch notes for whatever as been installed. Just press option button when you are on a game.

Man either I'm getting too old or I need new glasses, because I honestly can't tell the difference. Only thing I noticed is the cloth next to the sword on his left side is a lot smoother in the top picture.

Maybe I'm looking at it wrong. Taking the picture as a whole, nothing popped out. Looking at individual pieces like the plants, I still couldn't tell. Taking one last look, I guess the bottom one looks more blurry.

I feel I'm over the hill now. All this resolution stuff makes me realize how bad my eyes have gotten.

You and me both. About the only difference I can tell is the bottom one looks a tiny bit fuzzy if I stare at it back and forth in comparison

EDIT:

To me the difference is rather dramatic.

Ok, those gifs are night and day in difference

otapnam

People that havnt had experiences with pc gaming won't understand. If you've ever upgraded a video card to go from medium/high to max settings get it

Thank you Ubisoft for a nice patch.

The 1080p with improved AA looks significantly better than the 900p version. I know there are folks who claim they can't tell the difference between 900p and 1080p, but on my 60" 1080p television the difference is obvious. The sharpest picture will always be at the native resolution of the TV and not a scaled up image.
You do know that the Xbox One Family Entertainment System outputs a 1080p picture right?

Daingurse

People that havnt had experiences with pc gaming won't understand. If you've ever upgraded a video card to go from medium/high to max settings get it

More like simply playing a non-native res, period. Something PC gamers don't usually do, until all other options are exhausted. Ah, sub-optimal PC gaming, I still remember the horror . . . 800x600 windowed mode, everything to low, < 30fps, the good ole days . . .

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
It's amazing how you can clearly see the difference between 900p and 1080p but we're told you can't tell the difference between 720p and 1080p.

Finally been playing this and it's pretty wonderful so far. I guess it helps that I haven't really played any of these since the first (which I got bored of about three hours in on the three occasions I tried to give it a chance). Loving the pirate atmosphere and I haven't even left Havana.

AC + pirates always sounded like a good mix, and now in 1080p in looks gorgeous.

coldfoot

Banned
I've played it for an hour and the nice IQ that comes with 1080p is definitely adding to my improvement of the game. Still think it's quite a boring game like LA Noire though.
Still, the IQ is close to perfect except for some aliasing on stair steps, etc. Technically this game fulfills my expectations from a cross gen port with shitty polygon models. Now I know what PC guys were bragging about in the past few years and I can finally enjoy it on a console with ease.

OryoN

You guys are 'criticizing' others as though the game now looks like a completely different game. That term, "night and day," by the way, is a term that people should have to acquire a license to use. I understand you guys are pleased with the IQ gains, but damn, stop trying to make people look like they're crazy/blind because they don't perceive some massive difference. The fact that the devs themselves have to urge people to look at ropes on a ship in order to see much clearer improvements... other than being amusing(next-gen is here folks, we got ropes!), it does suggests the reality of minor gains overall.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

It's actually much more obvious in that situation, strangely enough. Well, I don't sit quite that far away... 7 to 8 feet. My sister was at my place when I unboxed my PS4 and was here again tonight and noticed the difference without me saying anything.

coldfoot

Banned
Actually, no. In motion the differences are much more noticable due to much less visible edge shimmering while moving.

Depending on how the game handles it, you might just wind up with 720p images downsampled from 1080p... which should look waaaaay better than raw 720p.

Would be interesting to see what happens.

Haha, that would be funny if the game refuses to actually natively render in 720p when selected; then again 720p is really low on monitors.

Om3ga

I really need to show this thread to my friend. We both opted for Xbox One's (mine is only temporary until march-april) for KI and Forza). He argued with me about resolutions for DAYS saying it won't matter, while I agree. This IS noticeable. He argued that it wasn't and won't be noticeable in most games.

otapnam

More like simply playing a non-native res, period. Something PC gamers don't usually do, until all other options are exhausted. Ah, sub-optimal PC gaming, I still remember the horror . . . 800x600 windowed mode, everything to low, < 30fps, the good ole days . . .

Hahaha yeah. Once u live the good life its hard to go back!

Top Bottom