• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassins's Creed PS4 is now 1080p with AA.

Rootbeer

Banned
People are confusing me.

Is the latest update 1.02 or 1.03?? I just put mine in today and it downloaded 1.02. That's it right?

Aie!

1.02 has the 1080p addition. It's been mentioned about a dozen times in this thread. i don't think 1.03 exists yet, unless it patched again while I was asleep (I'm at work now :p)

Read the changelog/history of the game by pressing the 'Options' button on the game from the dynamic menu homescreen.

stevil

How come these 900p to 1080p differences seem larger than the 720p to 1080p differences shown for XB1 and PS4 versions of games.

I think the upscale of the X1 is working pretty good so for the ps4 vs x1 you are looking at 900p vs 720p up scaled to 1080p. after the patch this will be 1080p vs 720p up scaled to 1080p. while the old PS4 900p vs new 1080p version in not up scaled by the console

ref

Glad I waited, game looks pretty decent now.

Also, at least in the screenshots it seems there is little to no aliasing. Awesome.

KidBeta

Sorry, but no! No COD : Ghosts and Assassin's Creed 4 patch for 1080p. It's Sony exclusive which Sony paid for that.

Just kidding about Sony moneyhat. But seriously, no patch for XO version.

so the XB1 version is 900P?. or unknown resolution?.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Unknown, but reviewers thought the XB1 looked blurrier back when the PS4 was 900p, so 720p wouldn't be an unreasonable guess.

They also couldn't tell that PS4 CoD shipped at 720p.
Still, not a good sign.

stevil

v1oz

Okay I've had look at the comparisons posted on this thread. It looks noticeably sharper but the difference is not night and day. It's easy to see the differences in still images, but when in motion and from TV viewing distances I doubt that it will make as much of a difference unless you have a really large screen TV. Or you walk up so close up to the screen that you can make out the individual pixels. There is a tendency towards exaggeration and hyperbole towards the most minute difference by most gamers.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
really? I didn't know that, thanks.
Any source for that? I'm not doubting just interested in reading more about it.

I don't have anything bookmarked. But it all started here.
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2007/01/headstart/2/
Everyone thought that ANA/HANA was MS's secret scaling sauce in 360, but it turned out they were using ATI's GPU scaler.
Now both new consoles are doing the same thing.

Earlier this morning Ubisoft broke news that the PlayStation 4 version of Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag will not be running in a native 1080p but rather 900p unscaled.
http://www.examiner.com/article/ass...g-is-1080p-on-ps4-post-patch-900p-on-xbox-one

That looks like an anonymous source who's "not sure" to me. A far cry from news from Ubisoft.

Skeff

Earlier this morning Ubisoft broke news that the PlayStation 4 version of Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag will not be running in a native 1080p but rather 900p unscaled.
http://www.examiner.com/article/ass...g-is-1080p-on-ps4-post-patch-900p-on-xbox-one

His point was that both are being upscaled to 1080p using the same upscaler, read the thread and everyone who has quoted you rather than just selectively quoting so that you can purposefully reply to a misinterpretation.

You won't last long here.

EDIT: the PS4 does not send video output at 900p, only 720p or 1080p so it is upscaled.

stevil

His point was that both are being upscaled to 1080p using the same upscaler, read the thread and everyone who has quoted you rather than just selectively quoting so that you can purposefully reply to a misinterpretation.

You won't last long here.

EDIT: the PS4 does not send video output at 900p, only 720p or 1080p so it is upscaled.

or I honestly misunderstood the statement......

stevil

I don't have anything bookmarked. But it all started here.
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2007/01/headstart/2/
Everyone thought that ANA/HANA was MS's secret scaling sauce in 360, but it turned out they were using ATI's GPU scaler.
Now both new consoles are doing the same thing.

That looks like an anonymous source who's "not sure" to me. A far cry from news from Ubisoft.

Thank you , I only read about the secret sauce, I should read more :)

pa22word

Okay for the tech wizards here at gaf (or the simply curious), I went through the trouble of capturing various screens using the various anti-ailiasing techniques featured in the PCv of the game in order to help nail down specifically what the PS4 version is using.

Here's the PS4 version with the 1080p AA patch:

120a5ef6a20297dbc349a0d7f009da69.png
PC @ 1080p with...:

no AA:

FXAA:

SMAA

2x MSAA

4x(8x) CSAA

2x TXAA

4x OGSSAA

Sorry for the change in animations, the idle animation didn't want to cooperate >.>

Based on my (borderline ignorant) first hand look, I'm going to say it's either SMAA or FXAA (but as I pointed out earlier i'm leaning towards SMAA), but maybe some pixel counters might be able to give this a read and tell us what kind of AA solution we'll be looking forward to next gen!

SRTtoZ

I gotta congratulate Ubisoft here. As someone who has made fun of them for constantly cranking out AC games and saying this is a game I wouldn't buy this gen, I am shocked at how good it is, and how fucking fantastic it looks @1080p. Dat water, I mean, it makes me want to go back on a cruise to the Bahamas ASAP. Well, I always want to go to the Bahamas, but now I REALLY want to go.

(Traded in the mess that is BF4 for this today, purchase vindicated)

How come these 900p to 1080p differences seem larger than the 720p to 1080p differences shown for XB1 and PS4 versions of games.

Well, the difference is huge but people seem to be downplaying it. As for actual examples, most people have been using shitty compressed pics/video to try and show it off, when it doesn't do it justice. Double the pixel rate will blow minds, just wait until people start giving direct feed of 720p COD: Ghosts and then compare them to the PS4 shots in the screenshot thread. You'll see.

TAJ

Okay for the tech wizards here at gaf (or the simply curious), I went through the trouble of capturing various screens using the various anti-ailiasing techniques featured in the PCv of the game in order to help nail down specifically what the PS4 version is using.

It would be better to work from pristine captures. Like what nbnt is doing with his Avermedia in other games.

pa22word

It would be better to work from pristine captures. Like what nbnt is doing with his Avermedia in other games.

Uh those are cropped fraps shots.

Unless you mean full res shots, which no it really wouldn't do a better job at pointing out and detecting what each AA method is doing to combat aliasing.

I mean I can post the original renders if you want, but it wouldn't really do a very good job at showing the subtle differences in AA methods.

TAJ

Unless you mean full res shots, which no it really wouldn't do a better job at pointing out and detecting what each AA method is doing to combat aliasing.

I was thinking more in terms of compression.

SRTtoZ

There is nothing in these links that confirms 900p for XB1. The examiner is just some guy who said he has a source who heard, the second link just links to the examiner again, and the last one mentions the AA technique but nothing else. I'm not saying you're wrong, just that there is no proof yet. If I was a betting man i'd say its running at 900p, I mean this is a cross platform game that doesn't do anything super tricky, but you never know.

I mean I can post the original renders if you want, but it wouldn't really do a very good job at showing the subtle differences in AA methods.

Great job mate, I'm leaning towards SMAA as well, which is actually pretty damn impressive. God I hate what FXAA does to IQ.

pa22word

I was thinking more in terms of compression.

Unless the snipping software mangled my shots (which is possible I guess) those are all zoomed in uncompressed 8 MB frap shots, barring the PS4 jpg shot which I stole out of this thread. If someone was willing to provide an uncompressed PS4 shot to help get a better comparison then that'd be the best scenario I agree, but I was just working with what I found.

imt558

Banned
really? I didn't know that, thanks.
Any source for that? I'm not doubting just interested in reading more about it.

edit:

it is not in use:

Well, it's odd that both console use some same GPU technologies, right? :D

TAJ

Unless the snipping software mangled my shots (which is possible I guess) those are all zoomed in uncompressed 8 MB frap shots, barring the PS4 jpg shot which I stole out of this thread. If someone was willing to provide an uncompressed PS4 shot to help get a better comparison then that'd be the best scenario I agree, but I was just working with what I found.

Oh, I thought I recognized the shot the PS4 one was from.

imt558

Banned
There is nothing in these links that confirms 900p for XB1. The examiner is just some guy who said he has a source who heard, the second link just links to the examiner again, and the last one mentions the AA technique but nothing else. I'm not saying you're wrong, just that there is no proof yet. If I was a betting man i'd say its running at 900p, I mean this is a cross platform game that doesn't do anything super tricky, but you never know.

Well, how about this :

It appears that the latest entrant in Ubisoft’s popular franchise, Assassin’s Creed, suffers a similar fate on Microsoft’s next-gen console. During the latest episode of his weekly show, Annoyed Gamer, game journalist Marcus Beer briefly talks about a visible difference between the two next-gen console versions of Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag. According to him, the Xbox One version looks “fuzzier” and “strained”, while the PS4 version looks “sharper”, “crisper”, and has “better draw distances”.

http://gearnuke.com/multiple-sources-hint-assassins-creed-iv-black-flag-sub-1080p-xbox-one/

Any conclusion at resolution of XO version?

SRTtoZ

Well, how about this :

It appears that the latest entrant in Ubisoft’s popular franchise, Assassin’s Creed, suffers a similar fate on Microsoft’s next-gen console. During the latest episode of his weekly show, Annoyed Gamer, game journalist Marcus Beer briefly talks about a visible difference between the two next-gen console versions of Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag. According to him, the Xbox One version looks “fuzzier” and “strained”, while the PS4 version looks “sharper”, “crisper”, and has “better draw distances”.

http://gearnuke.com/multiple-sources-hint-assassins-creed-iv-black-flag-sub-1080p-xbox-one/

Any conclusion at resolution of XO version?

If it's 720p, there are gonna be some serious meltdowns. Look at the 900p/1080p comparisons, 720p---->1080p would be even crazier.

Jack cw

It can't be 720p....It wouldn't look that much better than current gen versions, which are also 720p I remember correctly....

More effects, way higher line of sight, higher polycount, better textures, better shaders, AA, constant framerate... The resolution might be 720p on Xbone and PS360, but it looks better than current gen in every regard.

Hoo-doo

Banned
For those who can't tell the difference, maybe these small GIFs will help:

ida3SiBBNX23X.gif

ibmkI64oTG1Xbt.gif

iTgfydPMk0xvA.gif

ibtoNgg6IyAzsn.gif

To me the difference is rather dramatic.

Night and day, really. Good comparison, should be bookmarked for whenever a debate like this arises.

Even sitting back on the couch, this kind of detail disparity is very noticeable on the big screen.

velociraptor

Because sharpening. It's a cheap trick to mitigate the blurring caused by low resolutions.

Some people might consider 900p + sharpening to look better than an unprocessed 1080p image by the way. However, this patch conclusively shows that higher resolution is always superior to lower resolutions.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Dumb question, but my TV only does 720p (or 1080i but I never use that) - will I notice any difference? I'm guessing not.

Check the download list in "notifications."

Maybe. I think Cerny said that with knack for example, they always render in 1080p, regardless of what resolution your TVs is set to. So if your TVs is 720p, the game doesn't render in 720p - it renders in 1080p and then scales it down to 720p for your TV. So you effectively get downsampling for free.

I don't know if that is the same with other games though

Nozem

Maybe. I think Cerny said that with knack for example, they always render in 1080p, regardless of what resolution your TVs is set to. So if your TVs is 720p, the game doesn't render in 720p - it renders in 1080p and then scales it down to 720p for your TV. So you effectively get downsampling for free.

I don't know if that is the same with other games though

Does the downsampling introduce lag?

Top Bottom