• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ASUS ROG Ally - Launch Event Livestream

Are you planning on buying the ASUS ROG Ally?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sleepwalker

$899 + tax in canada so about $1050 or so, looks to be already sold out at bestbuy.ca

A bit too much for my blood to be an impulse purchase, will need to watch some reviews.

I do wonder if you buy this and the external 4090 you can basically replace both desktop and laptop.

Fabieter

Sad it's 799,00 euro taking out my tax and convert it to dollar makes it 735 dollar. Don't know why we have to pay more than the us.

skit_data

The more I see about the battery life and cost of these portable devices the more I actually think the rumored Playstation handheld makes sense. Sure it won’t be a ”real” handheld but with battery times like these I don’t see people leaving their house with it anyway.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Hmmm.

Tempting.

But I already have a pretty powerful gaming laptop (a ROG G15 as it goes) that has much more under the hood than this, and I work from home, so this would exclusively be used for things like plane flights... and not sure the expense justifies itself.

SomeGit

That performance looks great even at 15W, almost perfect 120 on warframe.

Sadly Windows is still not there for handhelds, even worse without the trackpads, but maybe MS will do something soon Gamepass would be a killer on one of these.

skit_data

I remember the days crouching over the og gameboy playing Pokemon Yellow. Never would i have imagined this is what gaming could be like years later. Technology advances are crazy.
I found my GBA (in absolute pristine shape still, by the way) and tried to show Metroid Fusion for my ex gf, it was next to impossible. It’s crazy how long they went without having any kind of background light.

Topher

Gold Member
Really want to see some benchmarks with the XG mobile using this thing. Here is one comparing the 6850 XT to the 3080 using the Flow Z13

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Sylvester Stallone Facepalm GIF

I preordered

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
If I was still in the market for a handheld PC device $700 actually doesn't sound bad at all for what you're getting. However, I already have a Steam Deck, I like what Valve is doing with it, and the lack of trackpads kind of kills my interest given how many point & click adventure, simulation, and RTS games I play on Deck.

skit_data

Ha, what about the gas running out?

I’ve got the ultimate solution:

JNpS8k4.jpg

Scale this bad boy up to a human sized one and you can burn away all that covid-induced belly fat while playing Redfall at somewhere between 15 and 45 fps forever

Last edited:

Moochi

It's a cool product but the name is pretty gay. That's not a pejorative. I just wish the name was less gay and the lights weren't rainbow colored so I don't look like I'm signalling like a gay baboon in estrus every time I whip it to play some Witcher 3 on the subway.

• Triggered
Reactions: GHG

bender

What time is it?
Ha, what about the gas running out?

I’ve got the ultimate solution:

JNpS8k4.jpg

Needs more power.

this-dog-enjoys-this-giant-hamster-wheel

It's a cool product but the name is pretty gay. That's not a pejorative. I just wish the name was less gay and the lights weren't rainbow colored so I don't look like I'm signalling like a gay baboon in estrus every time I whip it to play some Witcher 3 on the subway.
awkward-cringe.gif

Last edited:

Bry0

Wait did i read that right? Is this $700 handheld actually 8.1Tflops?
Yes when measured using rdna 3’s dual issue capabilities. That makes the tflops look inflated like nvidia cards when compared to previous gen real world gaming performance. I really wouldnt put that much stock on those numbers, just look at real benches.

Last edited:

Codes 208

Yes when measured using rdna 3’s dual issue capabilities. That makes the tflops look inflated like nvidia cards when compared to previous gen real world gaming performance. I really wouldnt put that much stock on those numbers, just look at real benches.
Ah, fair enough!

$700 really is a great price. Those Chinese portable PCs have to step up their game big time. Here's hoping the next GPD Win is actually affordable cause I love the Vita aesthetics they're going for.

IFireflyl

Gold Member

What you said is absolutely a pejorative.

Top Bottom