• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

At the box office: The Avengers vs The Dark Knight Rises

Status
Not open for further replies.
For whatever reason I have never seen a marvel based movie I felt was good. They all seemed silly or on average around the same quirkyness to them for the most part.

I haven't saw the Avengers, but I really don't see how it could be different from x-men, thor, Iron Man etc

It almost seems all these movie studios are basically the same, like a pre-built set of rules and ways to do things. Cameras, CG... scripts and whatever. It all just feels so damn cookie cutter in most films today.

You have to see a "Kill Bill" or something for a movie to be a bit "different" rather you feel that movie is good or not, atleast it isn't the same old stuff thrown in a basket and pushed out the pie hole.

For whatever reason I have never seen a marvel based movie I felt was good. They all seemed silly or on average around the same quirkyness to them for the most part.

I haven't saw the Avengers, but I really don't see how it could be different from x-men, thor, Iron Man etc

It's not on the same level as the Nolan films in terms of acting, human emotion, pathos, etc, no, but it's still good if you can appreciate it as a very, very well-done piece of pulp cinema.

It's not on the same level as the Nolan films in terms of acting, human emotion, pathos, etc, no, but it's still good if you can appreciate it as a very, very well-done piece of pulp cinema.

I may give it a try sometime.. its just I was burnt so much on x-men, spider man, thor etc

I know many will probably be a little angry at me and say I'm one of those comic geeks.

I'm not a huge comic fan, but I don't see the point of making a movie if you mess the source up so much. I mean... the idea of saber tooth and others is so "kick ass" in the books... but wow what fails they bring in the films..

I haven't seen Captain America either, and after the first Iron Man raelly didnt care to see the second.

Is Avengers really different from all those films... or just has more action to it?

I don't like Batman that great either, I mean the movies are made much more different and better imo than these Marvel based films.. but Bale from the get go is the wrong character to play Batman as many agree.

I wish Keaton had a different look to him, he is simply a smart actor. If any of you like him and haven't saw Multiplicity, I would suggest it. Quite funny to me.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Is Avengers really different from all those films... or just has more action to it?
Avengers is all action. All the characters were established already from previous films, no need to devote a lot of screentime on them.

180 million is a shitload of money.

Avengers is just a really likable film with oozes of fan service, great humor, and crowd pleasing moment.s

It'll entertain you but it won't reinvent the way you look at comic book movies.

Pretty much this. It's a movie meant to make you feel like an 8 year old and just have a good time.

Considering it's probably my best cinema experience I can say it succeeds. But then a lot of people get mad when a movie doesn't try to be artsy or consider that there's nothing enjoyable from seeing Thor and Hulk delivering the mayhem.

i think all the marvel movies are average at best but avengers was fantastic.

Cool, I guess with that many big names you have to hit something good somewhere lol.

I didn't see the newest X-men either, but it seemed like a radial change that I wasn't sure about either.

I hope DKR isn't as bad as I have read in the other thread though.....

I was completely surprised at the Avengers ticket showing though... Really surprised.

To me, Batman and Spider man are much bigger names in general, but I guess when you fuck over Spider-Man so many times ... I mean he is simply probably in top 3 as far as cool factor... suit and abilities. Why they can't get a movie right is beyond my thinking...

Spawn wasn't too bad of a movie actually, it could have used a bigger budget sure, but hey for what they had it turned out rather well. That is what happens when you follow the source more closely imo

I will give Avengers a go, and you guys didn't have much negative to say about it. So I'll see it when I get a good chance to. I hope to get some more obscure films though, now I think about it there is good comic movies.. they just usually fall away from Marvel books lol

Spawn
Batman
Sin City

were all much better than all the Marvel flicks I have seen, not sure why this is, ah well.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Avengers has the benefit of being the one MCU movie where the second half is stronger than the first half.

My main gripe with the Spawn movie was that it wasn't rated 'R'. But perhaps that's just the 17-year old me from the past talking.

Yeah, I mean come one! it's spawn, right??

I agree with you, but sometimes those big heads in the office win out lol

The cartoon was pretty slick though!

It got over played I guess, but it was still pretty cool.

Spawn seems to get a negative vibe now which is really sad in a way because the art and characters are all pretty nice. Dark and interesting for the most part.

I'd love to see another movie with a bigger budget and the right people involved. Warner could probably do it.

Yeah, I loved the cartoon, I caught it on HBO when it was originally airing. I used to buy the figures and keep em mint in the package and everything.

Cheebo

Banned
Yep. Seems the shooting has definitely impacted on the box office.

It's matching what tracking was it the day before the shooting though. It was tracking between 170-180. Higher opening weekend than TDK and in terms of admissions it will beat The Avengers, people aren't avoiding the theater.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
I didn't like Avengers because Captain America, Hulk, Thor, Black Widow(even tho she's hot), S.H.I.E.L.D, Hawkeye, Loki all do not appeal to me in the slightest. I don't care if they live, die, nothing.

I like RDJ's Iron Man, I like the fun he had in the film, but the first and 2nd Iron Man films aren't that great to me. Looking forward to the third.

Hard to say if it the shooting made it higher or less but you'd have to assume less. People leaving, showings being cancelled etc

There is going to be people who are afraid to go, no doubt about that. We have all seen those parents who are fairly controlling. Their business though

Per Box Office Mojo account, 175 million is what TDKR needed to surpass corrected TDK opening. Seems likely still, but not by much now. My 200mi expectation was way off.

Cheebo

Banned
Hard to say if it the shooting made it higher or less but you'd have to assume less. People leaving, showings being cancelled etc

There is going to be people who are afraid to go, no doubt about that. We have all seen those parents who are fairly controlling. Their business though

Warners/Theaters didn't cancel any showings.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
My hometown interviewed people at theaters.

Apparently one of the girls that witnessed it is from my town, and they interviewed her friend here.

On Neogaf there's a guy whose friend went to camp with him.

The "small world" range is gonna show up in a lot of towns.

Instead of comparing money for TDKR and TA, I'd rather see number of ticket sales.

Both of them will have had millions from both soon enough. It's a factoid that's worth knowing, but it won't give TDKR any more legitimacy than it already has. It will be one of the most successful movies in history likely in short enough time.

You would be surprised how big media's influence is upon people.
I also don't think the consumerwhorism of this culture can be quelled with a single shooting either.

VerTiGo

Banned
I dont see TDKR beating Avengers but I don't pay attention to these things anymore.

I loved both movies but Avengers to me was like Star Wars and that's just somethign different. Batman will always be Batman and that's always awesome.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
The mixed reviews will prevent DKR from doing so. Positive word of mouth really helped the Avengers do monster numbers.

Mixed reviews? 87% on rt, and 79% on mt (higher than avengers' 69)

where are you getting this mixed reviews thing? from gaf? lol

Mixed reviews? 87% on rt, and 79% on mt (higher than avengers' 69)

where are you getting this mixed reviews thing? from gaf? lol

Probably lol. Anecdotally from all my friends that have seen both say TDR is the better movie.
I have The Hobbit as the WW leader this year.

Isn't Hobbit coming out near the end of December? Doesn't seem likely to be on top with a few weeks.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch

3N16MA

Banned
I really doubt an isolated event did any damage.

This is more than likely how it was going to perform at the outset. Great.

I really doubt that it has no effect. It did not impact pre sales as those tickets are already counted but I wouldn't be surprised if it had an impact on walk ins. With headlines like "Batman movie massacre" and the mention of copycats, people tend to let things like that influence them. The guy who bought his tickets a week ago and his super excited to see this is going no matter what. The person who buys their ticket the day of the showing may hold off from going this weekend.

3N16MA

Banned
Isn't Hobbit coming out near the end of December? Doesn't seem likely to be on top with a few weeks.

If a film is released in 2012 it counts for 2012 even if the majority of it's run is in 2013. Avatar counted as a 2009 film (box office) despite it's late 09 release.

Probably lol. Anecdotally from all my friends that have seen both say TDR is the better movie.

They usually count movies as being in the year they came out. Hobbit will count as a 2012 movie even if it'll make most of the money in 2013

They usually count movies as being in the year they came out. Hobbit will count as a 2012 movie even if it'll make most of the money in 2013

Oh I would definitely count it as the top WW leader if it beat The Avengers eventually, but the quote made it sound like it would be on top by the end of the year.

3N16MA

Banned
Tracking was higher than that earlier in the day, it was coming down all day as more data was released. The OW will probably be below 170m.

If it falls to $180M or below then I think it leaves little doubt that the shooting had an impact. Like you said tracking had it coming close to DH2 OD record, it was supposed to top $180M easily and $190M+ seemed like a real possibility with tracking heading into the weekend.

If the $75M OD number is accurate, that would mean it did 45M on Friday without midnights. TDK was not front loaded on OD like Potter or Twilight films which means the 45M number is unusual. Studio estimates like the one WB gave before this weekend are usually low balled so that the actual number looks even better. There is a possibility that this actually stays at the estimate or falls below it which again would leave little doubt for me that the shooting had some kind of impact.

Slayven

As much as the next desperate comic book fan.

But I'll never get this completely black and white stance people have. If it deviates from their decided standards by a fraction it has to be complete shit. It can't be a good yet flawed movie?

We're comic book fans. We should have been thrilled someone wasted the money on a bad Green Lantern movie.

I just hope we get a bad Flash movie out of it before Warner decides it's not worth the money.

THEN WHY AM I SHOUTING AT YOU?!
If a Flash movie is on par with the TV show? I will be popping and locking in the street like Vibe.

GhaleonEB

Yep. Seems the shooting has definitely impacted on the box office.

When the huge midnight showing tally was announced, I figured it would not top The Avengers for the weekend. Rather than an indication of a bigger opening, I took it as an indication that demand was going to be more front loaded than The Avengers, as is often the case with sequels. That looks to be playing out.

The shooting surely had some impact, but TDKR's nature as the last film in the trilogy was always going to front-load day one (and midnights) significantly. Sort of like Twilight, to a lesser degree.

artist

Banned
How do you know the shooting impacted numbers?
It's matching what tracking was it the day before the shooting though. It was tracking between 170-180. Higher opening weekend than TDK and in terms of admissions it will beat The Avengers, people aren't avoiding the theater.
I really doubt an isolated event did any damage.

This is more than likely how it was going to perform at the outset. Great.

Pretty sure the Aurora incident had an impact. WB released their expected numbers prior to the weekend and studios ALWAYS lowball these numbers and it was 170-180.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom