• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

At their absolute peak who was cooler between Michael Jackson and Prince?

Mesousa

Banned
A little. Smooth Criminal too FWIW.

Smooth criminal had that weird video where he was hanging out with the even weirder kids before he went into the night club so that kind of took away some of the cool factor.

Thriller Micheal was very relatable and cool too though until the grave yard scene starts.

Like the Movie theater Scene when she gets up and runs out, and the second where he realizes "Damn this chick has ruined our night" and gets up and chases after her lol.

Kyzer

Banned
Peak MJ beats out Prince, but Prince was able to maintain near peak quality much more consistently.

I love MJ, but come on. Prince was absolutely the better musician. You could make the argument that MJ was better at composition if you'd like, but that's different.

I was thinking about posting this when I saw the thread.

No yeah he was definitely better at instruments by a good deal I was just saying its false that he didnt make a lot of stuff nor play instruments. He fucked around on a bunch of instruments and a lot of his songs are melodies straight out if his head that he sang to the producers or instrumentalists.

Cocaloch

No yeah he was definitely better at instruments by a good deal I was just saying its false that he didnt make a lot of stuff nor play instruments. He fucked around on a bunch of instruments and a lot of his songs are melodies straight out if his head that he sang to the producers or instrumentalists.

Ah, my bad.

bionic77

I just want to point out that this happened at Jackson's peak.

27ywi1k.jpg

WingM@n

Reading this thread makes me feel grateful that I have experienced these two legends in my youth .
They both were the coolest dudes on the planet .

smuf

As much as I love Michael Jackson, Prince was both more talented and cooler.

Prince wrote pretty much all of his songs himself, produced his own albums, could play multiple instruments really well.

MJ lip-synched during his later tours, Prince never did, while often mixing up the setlist night after night.

During the 80's Prince released 9 studio albums all of which are great.
Then there's all the albums/songs he did for Sheila E and The Time and many other artists. Dude was incredibly prolific.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Cool is being extremely popular, having the moves and the talent at peak potential.

So 'Purple Rain' Prince vs 'Thriller' MJ.

History already gave us the victor in that case.

This is like damned if you do, damned if you don't. Gun to my head and I choose Thriller MJ. I love prince so it's a tough call.

Peak MJ beats out Prince, but Prince was able to maintain near peak quality much more consistently.

I love MJ, but come on. Prince was absolutely the better musician. You could make the argument that MJ was better at composition if you'd like, but that's different.

I was thinking about posting this when I saw the thread.

All the truths.

Peak MJ is the tippy top. It just didn't last very long.

Temp_User

Prince is consistently more cool (and yes, even more talented) but between the two, Smooth Criminal Michael Jackson is the coolest thing i've ever seen.

bionic77

Another Part of Me is very underrated
EO was hype as fuck seeing this at Epcot in 1986.

I was never a huge fan of the MJ Genesis game though. That was the decline period of MJ and I thought that game was too weird for me as a teenager.

bionic77

What type of phone would peak MJ and Prince use?

I feel like MJ would be using a customized million dollar iPhone X or something similar from Samsung.

And Prince would say he doesn't fuck with phones and just send letters instead.

Hallowed

For me MJ was so far ahead it's not even close.

Ever since I was a kid, Prince always seemed like the poor mans Michael Jackson.

Not even a question. Prince was way cooler than MJ.

You think Prince would have had an awkward on-stage kiss with Priscilla Presley? Priscilla would have needed Plan B after the show if that was Prince.

bionic77

For me MJ was so far ahead it's not even close.

Ever since I was a kid, Prince always seemed like the poor mans Michael Jackson.
It physically hurts me when people have to rip Prince or MJ to make a point about how much better one was compared to the other.

This discussion should start with all of us agreeing that at their peaks these guys were Gods. MJ declined and got weird but Prince maintained an absurdly high level, but in terms of music and entertainment they are both beyond any criticism IMHO.

I picked MJ but it was a hard decision because I think Prince is one of the greats.

Fevaweva

Even when he got super weird (The Artist Formally Known As..) Prince was always cool.

Post-Bad MJ on the otherhand became super awkward. Almost as quickly as his Vitiligo took over.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
It's shocking and sad that there are so many people unaware of the fact that Prince is one of the greatest guitar players of all time.

Actually Wendy, his former bandmate is a better guitar player than he was.

Cess007

I only know Prince 'cause my Mom used to like him, but I don't think I've ever heard a Prince' song. So for me, this one is easy: MJ > Prince.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
I don't know who prince is so that automatically makes MJ win.

Well we know who the least cool poster in this thread is.

How the fuck you don't know Prince? His death was national news for like a week straight. I call bullshit.

bionic77

Well we know who the least cool poster in this thread is.

How the fuck you don't know Prince? His death was national news for like a week straight. I call bullshit.
Before Donald Trump got elected president of the United States I would have agreed with you.

But obviously this country has a lot of people that never listened to any Prince music.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
Before Donald Trump got elected president of the United States I would have agreed with you.

But obviously this country has a lot of people that never listened to any Prince music.

That's all true, but again I mention the fact that his death was EVERYWHERE for several days straight. There's no way that poster still has never heard of him following that.

bionic77

That's all true, but again I mention the fact that his death was EVERYWHERE for several days straight. There's no way that poster still has never heard of him following that.
You could have missed it if all you watch was Fox News.

The world would clearly be a much better place if everyone listened to some fucking Prince.

Top Bottom