• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

At their absolute peak who was cooler between Michael Jackson and Prince?

bionic77

Love MJ but Prince is way cooler and easily the better musician as well. The lineup of women he had is insane. How could the answer not be Prince?
If we are talking about the women he had Prince wins (against probably everyone if I had to guess).
If we are talking about who had the better music then Prince also wins.
Prince was also the better musician (though MJ was pretty fucking talented as well, but he was not playing instruments and he did not create as much as Prince did).

MJ was definitely more popular and I would continue to argue at his peak he was more cool. Not to take anything away from Prince but without Thriller I am not sure MTV would have existed and been as important to young people (until it died sometime in the last decade and became a place to watch shitty movies). During the Thriller era MJ was just off the charts famous. He appealed to everyone and that is probably the last time that happened. Pretty much everyone fucking loved Billy Jean, Thriller, the moonwalk, etc. As great as Prince was he was never able to achieve that level of popularity. And I would argue that you could never be half as popular as Jackson was without also being the coolest person on the planet.

I mean Billy Fucking Jean.

I rest my case.

Coolness can be debated. Influence in genres can be debated.

Better musician? No freakin debate.

Michael Jackson never made an entire album by himself. Every instrument. Nevermind good albums.

Like, there is no debate there.

Alastor3

MJ without a doubt.

Coolness can be debated. Influence in genres can be debated.

Better musician? No freakin debate.

Michael Jackson never made an entire album by himself. Every instrument. Nevermind good albums.

Like, there is no debate there.

But he dance like a god. He was the better entertainer.

bionic77

Montell Jordan?
Got damn Ninja. You know which Jordan I am talking about!

I would never disrespect Montell like that. My momma raised me better than that.

He actually lived up to the MJ initial standard set up by Michael Jackson and Magic Johnson.

Unfortunately Jordan ruining it for all MJ's afterwards because he was such a little bitch.

LionPride

Banned
giphy.gif

bionic77

yeah Prince's stage presence is nearly unrivaled. dude had that swagger.
I won't say a bad word about Prince but MJ concerts in his prime were also something to behold.

The difference is Prince somehow maintained that level for 30+ years whereas MJ just fell off a cliff.

phanphare

Banned
I won't say a bad word about Prince but MJ concerts in his prime were also something to behold.

The difference is Prince somehow maintained that level for 30+ years whereas MJ just fell off a cliff.

I will fully admit that I give Prince extra points for playing instruments

the dude struttin' all over the stage playing his guitar whenever. I linked that youtube video but the one where he's soloing and then cuing the band to drop out while he continues to solo without backup and then counting the band back in all the while strutting around the stage and interacting with the audience with hilarious facial expressions.

Prince is who I think of when I hear the word "swagger"

Are you from the USA? In many countries that are not the USA he was never even remotely considered a superstar, let alone comparable to Michael Jackson.

He was to Michael Jackson what Rita Ora is to Beyonce.

Prince had a more impressive chest??

bionic77

I will fully admit that I give Prince extra points for playing instruments

the dude struttin' all over the stage playing his guitar whenever. I linked that youtube video but the one where he's soloing and then cuing the band to drop out while he continues to solo without backup and then counting the band back in all the while strutting around the stage and interacting with the audience with hilarious facial expressions.

Prince is who I think of when I hear the word "swagger"
The dude was a genius. He was one of the better guitar players in the world and he was such a force that that was just a side note about him.

I wept for our future when that one poster said he never heard a Prince song.

jaypah

Just look at the Purple Rain movie poster. Who's cooler than that mother fucker? Nobody. Ever. Purple suit, purple bike, lace gloves GTFO Prince, you're too damn cool for this world!

Linkura

I fucking love MJ and prefer his music over Prince (that's not to say Prince's music isn't also god-tier), but Prince was undeniably cooler.

I hate these but Prince.

Prince was the embodiment of cool because of his idgaf attitude in music, fashion and opinions. He was creatively more talented and was behind a lot of fierce and memorable groups that also pulled or was inspired by his aesthetic. Prince's cool today is described as "Gay" because a lot of straight men are so insecure about their sexuality that if another straight man does it, he's automatically gay.

So definitely going with prince on this.

I hate these but Prince.

Prince was the embodiment of cool because of his idgaf attitude in music, fashion and opinions. He was creatively more talented and was behind a lot of fierce and memorable groups that also pulled or was inspired by his aesthetic. Prince's cool today is described as "Gay" because a lot of straight men are so insecure about their sexuality that if another straight man does it, he's automatically gay.

So definitely going with prince on this.

I was going to say something similar, but you nailed it.

Not once in Prince's long career did he ever play it safe. After Purple Rain, he could have put out a string of bullshit filler albums to capitalize, but instead he changed his style and went in a completely different direction. He wasn't defined by his hits.

To put it another way, here's a quote from the man himself -
https://www.gq.com/story/prince-stories
GQ said:
Walsh: I said to him, "Come on, man—don't you want to make another Sign o' the Times, another Purple Rain?" I don't know if I framed it exactly like that, but he said, "No, no—Jim, I've been to the mountaintop. There's nothing there."

That to me is cooler than anything.

Hesh

Prince was definitely cooler, but Peak MJ made some of the best music on the planet, something Peak Prince can't claim.

JABEE

I wonder if this is a case of America not thinking Michael was as cool but the rest of the world idolizing him.

Elvis had the same thing. In Europe he was still cool and a God, but in America he was more humanized and they could see him falling behind.

Hesh

I wonder if this is a case of America not thinking Michael was as cool but the rest of the world idolizing him.

Elvis had the same thing. In Europe he was still cool and a God, but in America he was more humanized and they could see him falling behind.

MJ wasn't a dork by any means during his peak, he just wasn't as cool as Peak Prince.

MJ was more bombastic, Hollywood personified. He would have a thousands of dollars of scenery and fireworks, but down to the individual level, Prince could pull it off with less.

remz

It's weird to me seeing people say MJ was the better musician, did he even write?

prince wrote, ghostwrote, multi instrumentalist, sung danced, carried pop superstars on his back... prince is probably the most talented pop artist ever.

mj was probably better at picking/thinking up gimmicks though

MJ a better musician than Prince? You people have lost your minds.

Its not possible to be more cooler than Thriller MJ.

Thriller is arguably the greatest pop song/album of all time, but nothing about it is cool. The Beat It video reminds me of the Greasers vs the Socs.

It's like saying Hotline Bling is cool.

I'd argue Thriller-era MJ was when he started losing his coolness.

The Girl is Mine is not cool. It's corny. Say, Say, Say is even worse.

Billie Jean is cool. Beat It is not cool. Wanna be Starting Something, cool. PYT, cool. Thriller, not cool.

Not that the uncool songs aren't great, I love Thriller especially, but being great doesn't equal cool.

MJ started to really go down the rabbit hole of holding onto his youth at this time and I think he was looking at the world through a childlike point of view. His concept of cool was so adolescent.

Bad 100% cemented that. And it's not that he didn't make great work after that. He produced many classics for years to come. He just wasn't really cool anymore. Which is fine. He will always be one of the most electrifying artists of all time.

I'd also like to say the title "King of Pop" has to be one of the least cool titles of all time.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
I am talking about peak coolness, not overall coolness, which Prince obviously wins and I am not sure anyone can challenge him there.

I don't think Prince (or anyone else for the matter) was as cool as MJ was during Thriller.

If we're talking peak coolness...

I still can't decide.

I just listened to The Girl Is Mine and Say, Say, Say back to back and have to flip on which is worse. The Girl is Mine is far worse. It's not a good song and it is aggressively uncool. Say, Say, Say is still corny but not it's kind of fun.

Cohsae

It's shocking and sad that there are so many people unaware of the fact that Prince is one of the greatest guitar players of all time.

Ok I'm going to lob a grenade... Prince is a hero of the culture, and Michael Jackson has little/no part in it.

This might be the hill I choose to die on...

I'm flabbergasted people think anyone other than Prince can measure up to the coolness of those like Jimi, Miles Davis, Coltrane, Jagger/Richards, George Clinton and Parliament/Funkadelic, Bob Dylan, and Bowie (maybe Prince's only contemporary in cool). Prince's coolness blows away anyone who came after these musicians.

Look at this guy... 5'4" and wearing high heels. He'll bed your partner and you'll happily brag about it.

princebest.jpg

Greatest drum machine programmer of all time. He showed us his guitar mastery in many moments (but frankly never flaunted it above many other talents). Vocal range was impeccable. Lyrics could be either beautiful or filthy or the perfect combination where you wouldn't recognize and just think it was a pop song (i.e. Little Red Corvette)

Prince was the greatest.

Top Bottom