• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

At their absolute peak who was cooler between Michael Jackson and Prince?

GamerJM

Banned
Coolness went to MJ. Those moves. The clothes. Everyone wanted to move, look, and act like him. Even through his various personas and issues you still thought of him as being cooler / more interesting than anyone else.

Sexiness went to Prince. He had his own unique style. It was dangerous. Exotic. Provocative. He had a slew of gorgeous women in his stable. And he could shred on crazy looking guitars. You didn't want to be Prince so much as you wanted to be in his world.

That's the difference between the two to me. They're both equally brilliant for what they set out to do.

This is a good way to put it. I guess it depends on your personal definition of "coolness," though.

WingM@n

Prince was more sexy and cool. MJ was more mysterious and cool.
I liked MJs looks more in the 80s, and his looks in his music video's were bad ass.

dakun

for me MJ by alot. He was THE man. I respect Prince alot musically but to me he was never someone everyone from 7 to 77 dressed like, wanted to dance like etc.
None of MJ's music or even his appearances were an afterthought in peoples mind (talking general public). It was always an event you just had to see/listen etc.

Basketball

MJ by far

I would try to imitate the dances , wanted to buy the jacket.

Prince while cool looked like a short little freak with a big head.

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
At first I thought it was Prince but...

Moonwalker was some cool stuff. (both the movie and the game)
SONIC 3
The "moonwalk" is the coolest dance move of all time

Hard push for me...

MJ.

The hat, the gloves, the moonwalk, the moves.

Prince had a royal flair about him that only very, very few people could pull off without coming off as making fun of him. Just look at Chappelle's skits. With MJ any kid can don a hat and start dancing and look cool.

BibiMaghoo

My first exposure to Prince was the 'artist formally known as' shite, which never left a good impression of cool, quite the opposite. To this day I've never really bothered to check out his library, and so for me the answer is MJ easily.

If millions of people are trying to copy the shit you do, then you are surely cool as it comes.

Honestly, I never thought Prince was all that cool. But he was probably "cooler" in the traditional sense.

MJ was cool in that everyone liked him and everything he did was an event. Until he got weird anyway.

phanphare

Banned
My first exposure to Prince was the 'artist formally known as' shite, which never left a good impression of cool, quite the opposite. To this day I've never really bothered to check out his library, and so for me the answer is MJ easily.

If millions of people are trying to copy the shit you do, then you are surely cool as it comes.

you should look into why he changed his name, might change your mind

he was basically giving Warner Brothers the finger

Prince's legacy in regards to artists' rights is quite cool actually, especially in this day and age with young artists still being exploited by suits, streaming services and the value of music, ownership issues, etc.

Cooler? Prince. By a mile. He's like swag personified. MJ is too grotesque to be considered as cool as prince.. but being cool doesn't mean a greater artist.

Discography wise? It's a totally different and a complete opposite.

phanphare

Banned
Cooler? Prince. By a mile. MJ is too grotesque to be considered as cool as prince.. but being cool doesn't mean a greater artist.

Discography wise? It's a totally different and a complete opposite.

not to get into a list war but are you suggesting that MJ has a better catalog than Prince?

because that'd be nuts

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Madonna was coolest by far. But out of the two I prefer MJ.

not to get into a list war but are you suggesting that MJ has a better catalog than Prince?

because that'd be nuts

Yes.

No it's not. MJ > Prince in terms of music is probably a lot more common sentiment than Price > MJ.

But anyway I agree with 1st page reply that the stratosphere of coolness MJ reached is every bit as high as Prince. Thriller MJ was a beast. You could argue MJs coolness peak was higher than Prince. It's just Prince coolness never fluctuated or waivered through decades.

phanphare

Banned
i'm not the guy you quoted, but no doubt about it.
Yes.

No it's not. MJ > Prince in terms of music is probably a lot more common sentiment than Price > MJ.

But anyway I agree with 1st page reply that the stratosphere of coolness MJ reached is every bit as high as Prince. Thriller MJ was a beast. You could argue MJs coolness peak was higher than Prince. It's just Prince coolness never fluctuated or waivered through decades.

this is just straight up lunacy to be blunt

from the late 70's to the 2010's Prince was churning out quality music

MJ's catalog doesn't even hold a candle. how many solo albums did MJ have? like less than 10? and how many were of a high quality? like 3?

yeah it's not even close

compare for yourself

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Jackson_albums_discography#Studio_albums

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_albums_discography

maybe you could argue that MJ's best was better than Prince's best. maybe. that's at least subjective and can be rationally backed up even if I still wouldn't agree. but as for their entire catalog I'm am struggling to think how it could be seen as anything less than a total sweep in favor of Prince.

it's like Off the Wall, Thriller, and Bad vs. 1999, Purple Rain, Sign o the Times, the Love Symbol Album, The Gold Experience, the fucking Batman soundtrack, Around the World in a Day, the Black Album, the Rainbow Children, Crystal Ball, etc. etc. etc.

that's just what happens when you're a genius and make music consistently for multiple decades, it accumulates

dakun

this is just straight up lunacy to be blunt

from the late 70's to the 2010's Prince was churning out quality music

MJ's catalog doesn't even hold a candle. how many solo albums did MJ have? like less than 10? and how many were of a high quality? like 3?

yeah it's not even close

compare for yourself

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Jackson_albums_discography#Studio_albums

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_albums_discography

maybe you could argue that MJ's best was better than Prince's best. maybe. that's at least subjective and can be rationally backed up even if I still wouldn't agree. but as for their entire catalog I'm am struggling to think how it could be seen as anything less than a total sweep in favor of Prince.

it's like Off the Wall, Thriller, and Bad vs. 1999, Purple Rain, Sign o the Times, the Love Symbol Album, The Gold Experience, the fucking Batman soundtrack, Around the World in a Day, the Black Album, the Rainbow Children, Crystal Ball, etc. etc. etc.

that's just what happens when you're a genius and make music consistently for multiple decades, it accumulates

i'm not going to make a list war here, because this is not really the thread for it (we're not debating the music really). But MJ's music, while less in quantity, to me was far better in quality. That's my personal opinion. To each their own. And i'm not saying Prince is bad by any means. MJ's music appeals to me more, thus i rate his catalogue higher

I'm old enough to remember first hand when Thriller came out. The 'coolness of MJ at that moment was unlike anything I've seen since

phanphare

Banned
i'm not going to make a list war here, because this is not really the thread for it (we're not debating the music really). But MJ's music, while less in quantity, to me was far better in quality. That's my personal opinion. To each their own.

that is an argument I can accept because it's wholly subjective but when comparing an artists' entire catalog that's not really an argument that seems relevant

if artist A has some great albums and artist B has like triple or quadruple the amount of great albums the ones that you personally prefer doesn't seem all that relevant because the point is the catalog as a whole

lol GTFO here with that shit

off the wall, thriller, and bad. what else? seriously asking

Peter's doing good work in this thread.

it's all for you Uncle Ben

Neither. Both weirdos.
prince.jpg

Stiler

There's a reason he did that, it wasn't that he thought he was "too cool" to go by Prince anymore.

With Warner Bros he was under contract for six albums , one album per year. He wanted to release more songs/albums and was also tired of WB owning the masters of his albums.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/n...prince-battle-to-control-career-artist-rights

Nev

Banned
Michael Jackson, a worldwide icon with some of the most popular songs of all time or discount Michael Jackson?

Seems like a no-brainer.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
In terms of sheer cultural impact and coolness MJ was probably higher. Watching him perform was like watching a special effect or a superhuman move. It didn't look real half the time.

Prince, however, was a musical genius who turned out incredible music almost daily. His catalog is much stronger than MJ's, taken as a whole. Thriller is what it is, obviously, but in terms of body of work, that's Prince all day long.

dakun

that is an argument I can accept because it's wholly subjective but when comparing an artists' entire catalog that's not really an argument that seems relevant

if artist A has some great albums and artist B has like triple or quadruple the amount of great albums the ones that you personally prefer doesn't seem all that relevant because the point is the catalog as a whole
isn't musical taste as a whole subjective? I could easily find people anywhere on the street that think both Prince and MJ's music sucked while listing totally obscure artists as superior. Quantity is only really relevant if you love both artist's output as equal.

off the wall, thriller, and bad. what else? seriously asking

You can't really talk MJ without talking Jacksons. So i could list a bunch of those (Destiny and Triumph being the two best.) Also Dangerous and History are also two masterpieces in my opinion, with Invincible being the only one with questionable song choices.

ZOONAMI

Michael Jackson, a worldwide icon with some of the most popular songs of all time or discount Michael Jackson?

Seems like a no-brainer.

Oof. Now that is a hot (shit) take.

Prince is a top 5 guitarist of all time (you could reasonably argue he is the greatest guitarist of all time), an excellent songwriter, vocalist, pianist, dancer, entertainer, and all around musician.

Don't be coming around here with discount MJ bullshit. They are both their own thing and their music isn't really even similar.

Obscura

Easily Prince. Insane voice, incredible guitar solos, just plain incredible guitars (seriously, those the are coolest custom guitars ever made), cooler music and he oozed sex appeal.

MJ made great music and seemed like a super nice guy but he also reeked of creep.

Nev

Banned
So you've never heard a Prince song, or...?

Are you from the USA? In many countries that are not the USA he was never even remotely considered a superstar, let alone comparable to Michael Jackson.

He was to Michael Jackson what Rita Ora is to Beyonce.

zeemumu

I think Prince was a more generalized cool than MJ. MJ was cool because of his voice and dance moves but Prince just exuded cool aura like Bowie did at his peak.

That said I prefer MJ's best songs to Prince's best songs and MJ probably had a larger audience.

phanphare

Banned
isn't musical taste as a whole subjective? I could easily find people anywhere on the street that think both Prince and MJ's music sucked while listing totally obscure artists as superior. Quantity is only really relevant if you love both artist's output as equal.

well yeah of course it is but at a certain point in regards to this specific argument about their respective catalogs I think the subjectivity angle goes out the window because of just how much music Prince has made throughout his career. if we can establish that both MJ and Prince put out quality music then the quantity aspect of the argument basically ends the discussion. if Prince fell off and started putting out trash I wouldn't be banging this gong but he was putting out great music consistently for multiple decades. that's my perspective on this discussion, at least.

You can't really talk MJ without talking Jacksons. So i could list a bunch of those (Destiny and Triumph being the two best.) Also Dangerous and History are also two masterpieces in my opinion, with Invincible being the only one with questionable song choices.

ah, for clarification I was only comparing solo MJ stuff to solo Prince stuff

Top Bottom