• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atelier Community Thread: Successfully synthesized a Barrel!

rhandino

Banned
I don't know if this is the place but...

I recently bought Atelier Escha & Logy and been enjoying it a lot, like REALLY a lot even if the time mechanics put me nervous since I want to end the period with the card full and not miss any of the interactions since they all put a smile on my face (Still don't know how to trigger those, the only ones I figured out are the ones when creating weapons for the characters). I am loving the character, MUSIC and the world itself and the thing is that I have some little questions about the series...

1) If I am enjoying this will I like the Arland Trilogy? I was planing to buy Ayesha since I want to play that one in preparation to Shallie but I see Rorona Plus at the same price and heard that is more accessible since the original release (My experience with that original release was so bad that I ignored the series) so which one you recommend?

2) Is there any sign of the Plus versions of Totori and/or Meruru hit the PS3 even as digital releases? I know that I could play them on the Vita but I cannot afford one right now T_T

Just that really... now let me synthesize that damn bomb with Meteor effect T_T

Vylash

1) If I am enjoying this will I like the Arland Trilogy? I was planing to buy Ayesha since I want to play that one in preparation to Shallie but I see Rorona Plus at the same price and heard that is more accessible since the original release (My experience with that original release was so bad that I ignored the series) so which one you recommend?

2) Is there any sign of the Plus versions of Totori and/or Meruru hit the PS3 even as digital releases? I know that I could play them on the Vita but I cannot afford one right now T_T

1. Arland has a much different tone than the Dusk series, Arland focuses on it's characters and a more lighthearted tone at the expense of a story, while Dusk focuses on story and a slightly more serious tone at the expense of it's characters. Escha's time limit is ridiculously lax, so if the time limit there is stressing you out i'd wait a bit until you adjust before moving to Arland, the time system there is more tightly structured (and better honestly, Atelier's time limit isn't really as intimidating as it seems, you just gotta get used to it)

Personally I recommend Arland over Dusk any day of the week, not even a contest

2. The Plus versions are Vita exclusives and they're not coming to PS3, the only additions to the plus versions are all of the DLC which you can just buy, minor balance adjustments, extra costumes, and an extra ending in Meruru. So don't feel like you need the plus versions, the PS3 versions are perfectly fine

1) You would probably also like the Arland trilogy. The gameplay is similar, the characters are different. Though I might suggest getting Ayesha and then Shallie before playing the Arland games just to not mix up the two series.

2) There's no reason to expect Totori and Meruru Plus to come out on PS3, nor is there a need. The Plus versions of Meruru and Totori aren't changed much, unlike Rorona Plus.

rhandino

Banned
Thanks for the answers!

1. Arland has a much different tone than the Dusk series, Arland focuses on it's characters and a more lighthearted tone at the expense of a story, while Dusk focuses on story and a slightly more serious tone at the expense of it's characters. Escha's time limit is ridiculously lax, so if the time limit there is stressing you out i'd wait a bit until you adjust before moving to Arland, the time system there is more tightly structured (and better honestly, Atelier's time limit isn't really as intimidating as it seems, you just gotta get used to it)
Don't get me wrong tough, even when I am stressed I still manage to finish all the tasks with a LOT of time to spare (20 days or more) but I always scared since I don't know when the game will ask that I buy an Item or Manual or Synthetize something and don't have the materials ready XD.

Also I love the setting and I am curious about all the thing about this world that looks so lighthearted even amid the drought and the begins of a famine =P so I guess that I will continue with Ayesha then. But will buy the Arland ones other later though, I switch the battle music with that of Meruru when fighting in the spare time jaja

2. The Plus versions are Vita exclusives and they're not coming to PS3, the only additions to the plus versions are all of the DLC which you can just buy, minor balance adjustments, extra costumes, and an extra ending in Meruru. So don't feel like you need the plus versions, the PS3 versions are perfectly fine
Great, If only is those things then I think i'm good to go... Sadly I'm seeing that those don't have digital version so will need to import them and that was kind of the other motive since the physical versions would cost me a little more =/ (Don't live in the USA)

Nevertheless I am enjoying the game, playing as Escha and loving her so far =D

PD: The reason that I bought this one was that I was kind of fascinated with the english trailer of Shallie, the music alone is SO GOOD...

Arthea

I don't know if this is the place but...

I recently bought Atelier Escha & Logy and been enjoying it a lot, like REALLY a lot even if the time mechanics put me nervous since I want to end the period with the card full and not miss any of the interactions since they all put a smile on my face (Still don't know how to trigger those, the only ones I figured out are the ones when creating weapons for the characters). I am loving the character, MUSIC and the world itself and the thing is that I have some little questions about the series...

Just that really... now let me synthesize that damn bomb with Meteor effect T_T

Escha & Logy was good, I would omit Ayesha and play Arland trillogy (Rorona plus, not Rorona tho), of all that gen Atelier games I thought Ayesha was worst, of Arland trilogy, Meruru was the best, but Totori is good too and Rorona plus should be too (yet to play it, but I even liked original Rorona, mostly for characters and strict time limits, even if it was all kinds of mess and use to freeze PS3 every hour of playtime).
I can't wait for Shallie, expect it to top all PS3 Atellier games for me.

rhandino

Banned
Escha & Logy was good, I would omit Ayesha and play Arland trillogy (Rorona plus, not Rorona tho), of all that gen Atelier games I thought Ayesha was worst, of Arland trilogy

Play Ayesha next. It's part of the same setting and is the best PS3 Atelier game.

Oh god, I feel like I am in asking advice the Final Fantasy series =P

Will buy Ayesha and Shallie next and then will order the Arland Trilogy, right now playing as Escha and then a playtrough with Logy to see what kind of changes are in story butI gonna guess that is more about perspective of certain events and exclusive events since almost of all the events that I had until now includes Logy.

Oh, and the characters are just awesome, Escha is so cute and efficient at her job, Marion is very interesting since she is doing paperwork all day but Linca say she is scared of her when she is mad and Threia and Linca are so badass... the only character that I am not reallly fascinated is Lucille =/

ohlawd

I hope so. As soon as Sony gives out those 10% off coupons I'm planning on buying Ayesha Plus.

those coupons still don't have a date :/

gonna pick up Ayesha tomorrow regardless. I got some extra money from Paypal cashback. Should soften the blow for paying full price.

redhairedking

those coupons still don't have a date :/

gonna pick up Ayesha tomorrow regardless. I got some extra money from Paypal cashback. Should soften the blow for paying full price.

I want to play Ayesha but not enough that I have to have it tomorrow, especially since I have other things to play still

rhandino

Banned
i would advise against this, Ayesha's mechanics are awful
How so? Can you give a brief recap? I saw trailer and reviews and still nothing seems so bad.

----

Also when, in my opinion, when you understand the Alchemy Systems the time management become kind of a breeze, last night I was in the assignment to investigate the
Slag Graveyard
and not only I have to make 2 journey (17 days) since my basket was full but also manage to beat the boss at the end of it (I kind of think is optional since the assingment ended after exploring the areas previous the boss encounter) and finished all the sub-missiones with 50 days to spare...

Now I think I wild go exploring some more and to recollect and make some of the new weapons since I completely revamped the armors on my characters (Thanks to the assignment that involved create Elemental Resistances)

kadotsu

Banned
I can't bring myself to buy Ayesha day 1 when all Vita Atelier games have received fast discounts in Europe. I'll buy it if it hasn't been discounted by the time Shallie is released.

Vylash

How so? Can you give a brief recap? I saw trailer and reviews and still nothing seems so bad.
Ayesha has 3 things that make it a Very Bad Game. a terrible cast, a super awkward and nonsensical alchemy system, and it makes weapons really annoying to get, instead of just making them like the other games, you have to beat certain bosses and pray that you get the weapons you want

downloading now

smh

you disappoint me so much

SoldnerKei

I really wish Ayesha plus was on the ps3, or at least a dual audio dlc, I guess I won't touch that game until I get a vita, oh welp

How soon do you all think Rorona+ will be on sale? Any bet it'll show up during Golden Week?

I see Rorona+ PS3 on Amazon for a decent price, but maybe I should wait for a lower price which may appear during Golden Week sale?

I'm very late in the game and still playing through Totori+

Vylash

Decided to play the PS2 Ateliers for pretty much no reason, Iris is fun so far even if i have to get used to the idea of other people making items for me, also Lita has the best faces

jb1ysFeSRttJ0O.jpg

Also there's a girl named Rurona, Gust pls

How soon do you all think Rorona+ will be on sale? Any bet it'll show up during Golden Week?

lol

So I bought Totori+ when it was on sale sometime last year, and I just bought the Shallie LE because it looked gorgeous. I need to get a proper start on this series. Very glad to have you all here. Some of the recent posts are helpful in orienting me on getting started with actually playing the series :p

rhandino

Banned
Awesome, sadly the digital version is not discounted too =/

---

Wow, I am loving Escha & Logy so far, I now have a better understanding of the alchemy system which make it more easier to complete the tasks... I am close to finish the 3rd year so let's see how many more surprises await, loved the revelation of Logy past and now I want to start again but with Logy and buy the DLC to add Willbell in the party since I found her hilarious (Her events in the Tavern and the Fire Spirit amused me, a lot).

Now I am just anxious for Shallie =D

ohlawd

I'm spending about 130 bucks on Atelier Shallie so yeah I hope it's good >_>

I might actually not wait for the plus version to grab Shallie. It's looking and sounding very nice.

can't believe people (I know it's not just you) actually wait for the Plus versions of Atelier games. They're years away from the original release (this is the biggest problem for me as there's no way in hell I can wait that long to play a new Atelier) and all of them just tack on the DLC dungeons. Oh and the added benefit of always running worse than the vanilla games.

Meruru Plus tho. all them changes. Now that was a good Plus port.

Vylash

i honestly don't see the point of waiting an extra 2 years for the Plus versions, Escha Plus adds an additional scenario at least but that's still not worth waiting an extra 2 years for a game you might not even like

Meruru Plus is still the best tho

redhairedking

I'm spending about 130 bucks on Atelier Shallie so yeah I hope it's good >_>

can't believe people (I know it's not just you) actually wait for the Plus versions of Atelier games. They're years away from the original release (this is the biggest problem for me as there's no way in hell I can wait that long to play a new Atelier) and all of them just tack on the DLC dungeons. Oh and the added benefit of always running worse than the vanilla games.

Meruru Plus tho. all them changes. Now that was a good Plus port.

i honestly don't see the point of waiting an extra 2 years for the Plus versions, Escha Plus adds an additional scenario at least but that's still not worth waiting an extra 2 years for a game you might not even like

Meruru Plus is still the best tho

Honestly, I am only just recently really getting into Atelier. I played the Mana Khemia games on the ps2 but didn't play any others until Totori Plus so it's really not a big deal when I have so many Atelier games in addition to others in my backlog. Why is Meruru Plus so good? This is the first time I've heard that and I'm probably going to pick it up soonish (once my Japanese gets passable).

Vylash

Honestly, I am only just recently really getting into Atelier. I played the Mana Khemia games on the ps2 but didn't play any others until Totori Plus so it's really not a big deal when I have so many Atelier games in addition to others in my backlog. Why is Meruru Plus so good? This is the first time I've heard that and I'm probably going to pick it up soonish (once my Japanese gets passable).

Meruru Plus has an extra ending that fixes the worst thing about the game, mini Rorona

rhandino

Banned
Good, the Synthesis and Dowsing looks like evolutions of the ones used in Escha and Logy... loving it so far.

Also I saw videos of Willbell in Shallie, I LOVE her new design. Gah, I need to buy her DLC to play with her in my Logy playtrough.

Vylash

as expected, Shallie has retailer exclusive preorder dlc

GameStop - Those who pre-order through GameStop will receive an exclusive DLC set that includes: a costume for their leading lady fashioned after that of Escha Malier (the protagonist of Atelier Escha and Logy), a Flower Pareo costume, a special Atelier series selection of music and a Passion Dress.

Amazon - Those who pre-order through Amazon.com will receive 2 exclusive compilations of music as an extra bonus.

GameStop - Those who pre-order through GameStop will receive an exclusive DLC set that includes: a costume for their leading lady fashioned after that of Escha Malier (the protagonist of Atelier Escha and Logy), a Flower Pareo costume, a special Atelier series selection of music and a Passion Dress.

Amazon - Those who pre-order through Amazon.com will receive 2 exclusive compilations of music as an extra bonus.

rip those who ordered the LE

ohlawd

ffs. they'll sell them eventually. still makes me mad. I want Escha's outfit right now ;_;

the game is worth $60 here, retail and maybe digital too. I did get $60 worth of PSN credit for $48 tho. I'll take paying $50 or $60 with no tax over $66, tax included

Will finally have some free time this weekend can finally start Ayesha Plus! xD

Edit - Damn, those bonuses are awesome. Escha costume will be mine.

Quixzlizx

I'm a little salty considering I preordered the NISA LE.

I bought the Ar Tonelico Hymmnos Concert Collection, but I'm guessing this is going to be an order of magnitude more expensive.

Top Bottom