• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atelier Firis |OT| The Alchemist and the Mysterious Journey

Arthea

Escha&Logy was structurally broken. The terrible system there forced you to burn time just to advance the game and turned the whole thing into a slog.

Ayesha was the only good Dusk game.

I don't agree with you completely, but let's not do this here again, it's Firis thread after all

SephLuis

I have been saying to people to keep an eye on this game, because most people don't even know that is releasing together with a lot of heavy hitters.

I truly hope that it sells well. Gust certainly deserves it.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
How would you guys compare this to other more traditional jrpgs? If I like say, for example, the Trails in the Sky games would I like this? Which series is better in your opinion?

Arthea

How would you guys compare this to other more traditional jrpgs? If I like say, for example, the Trails in the Sky games would I like this? Which series is better in your opinion?

I like Trails a lot, but Atelier is really nothing like Trails.
It's all about Alchemy, while story and everything else take second row seats.
If you are into complex crafting systems and lighthearted atmosphere, go for it.

SephLuis

As a big fan of both series, they don't have many elements in common.

Trails is a story driven game with a lot of build up to more serious moments.

Atelier is mostly focused on it's gameplay mechanics, especially crafting items. You go to fields, pick up different materials, go back to your atelier, create items that allow you to explore more. Repeat.

The story is very basic and there's mostly scenes with the companions talking between each other about their day to day activities. No big plot here.

Atelier also has a turn based system, but it's much more simple than Trails and most battles are over very quickly. It often feels like a secondary system at times.

Got this along with Nier pre-ordered. Gonna give this its due first though.

Picked up that PSN theme and it is already one of my favorites.

Khrno

what's wrong with male characters? They are in several Atelier games...

favourite as in all time? Or just of modern Atelier games?

because there is no game better than Mana Khemia and it has a male protag, even if that has little to do with a game being GOAT.

As I mentioned in a previous post I've played all the main games since Iris, excluding the Mana Khemias, so all the Ateliers I played before Escha and Logy did not have a main male character, the support male characters are always cool, I like some of them a lot. I just want the storytelling focused on a main female character.

I wish they would bring back the Iris and also the Mana Khemia games for either PS4 or PC, PS4 could be as simple emulated ports.

MUnited83

For you.
yeah, considering a price and timing, I'm worried too. It didn't pop in into bestseller list even once, it can't mean anything good, as Sophie was there

It is on the best selling list. Fourth page. Not great, but still, it is there.

Zephyx

I hope the game has no crashes on the Vita as it is my platform of choice for this game. Atelier games on the go are just too good for me. Will wait for feedback before I purchase though.

Already time to make an OT ?

i'm not ready for this yet ( I still have to beat that bullshit demon from the previous game )

Beartruck

This comes out tomorrow? Goddamn, I was already stuck between deciding to get either BOTW or Nier Automata, now they'res this too.

Also, why is there no reviews out? Busy season?

No time to review this but wondering if the voice acting in English is gimped like sophie where there's much less spoken dialogue in EN than JP

Strings

This comes out tomorrow? Goddamn, I was already stuck between deciding to get either BOTW or Nier Automata, now they'res this too.

Also, why is there no reviews out? Busy season?

Don't think many outlets cover Atelier anymore :( At least, not with reviews posted as soon as embargo is up.

SarusGray

Hopefully all the patches from the Japanese version are included on-disc, that's how it usually is when localized versions come out later.

Didn't Atelier Shallie had that growth glitch still on the NA version? Or was that exclusive to us @.@

Battlechili

Banned
I'm concerned

This is from the front page screenshots so MAYBE the actual PC release will be okay, but this isn't a good sign for the port. It looks to replicate Sophie's problems.

Arthea

9 hours till release (on steam)
here goes hope it's a good port

I like Sophie's English VAs too, you are free to sue me over it.

I'm concerned

This is from the front page screenshots so MAYBE the actual PC release will be okay, but this isn't a good sign for the port. It looks to replicate Sophie's problems.

Well, yes. Game is 35GB so 2D art should be high quality. Will see soon. Don't make me use Steam refund, please. :(

Edit: Also looks like PC version getting pre-order bonus too!

tkhekns.jpg

People from KT in Steam discussions, it's happening...

Parsnip

Hmm.
I guess I should do a quick refund and rebuy to get that discount. It's a shame there's no automatic way to have Steam just put up the difference on my steam wallet or something.

Well, yes. Game is 35GB so 2D art should be high quality. Will see soon. Don't make me use Steam refund, please. :(

Edit: Also looks like PC version getting pre-order bonus too!

tkhekns.jpg

People from KT in Steam discussions, it's happening...

Neat!

Caelestis

Did not even realize they had a release date for this... let alone that its today. Guess I'll order, but won't be able to play it for a while. They should have waited for summer with this.

Manatox

Uhm is it really 35gb? I mean sophie was like 5.5gb, i'm wondering how the next game suddenly requires like 30gb more.

Jucksalbe

Banned
The review on RPGFan sounds really bad. It also mentions "technical issues aplenty" (PS4 version reviewed) and a rushed localization. How many of the technically issues of the Japanese version were fixed in updates?

Arthea

Sure, i'll post some screenshots here. I may not be able to tell the difference myself though, 2D assets never bothered me in Sophie :p
It should finish downloading in 40 minutes for me.

mine will end dling in 20 minutes, dunno why steam is slow today

If I were to start this series, where should I begin? The game looks interesting (bad reviews excluded), and I thought about picking it up. I don't know what I'm missing.

Arthea

If I were to start this series, where should I begin? The game looks interesting (bad reviews excluded), and I thought about picking it up. I don't know what I'm missing.

It's better to begin with Sophie if you mean newest games, as Firis is second game in Mysterious series and Sophie first.
If you mean including older games, Eternal Mana is still great, so I'd start with it.

They explained this. It was a bug.

aww, regardless, I won't do refunding, already downloading a game

Top Bottom