• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atelier Firis |OT| The Alchemist and the Mysterious Journey

Clov

Is there still a sailor blocking the door that leads to the harbour? If not, well, you know what to do.

Last time I checked there was still a guy in front of the door telling me to go away, so I'll try to wander around more and trigger something else to see if he'll leave.

Parsnip

Last time I checked there was still a guy in front of the door telling me to go away, so I'll try to wander around more and trigger something else to see if he'll leave.

Yeah, just talk to everyone and something will eventually trigger.

hampig

How's the story in this game? I've been considering getting into these games forever and am wondering if this should be the one.

Linkura

How's the story in this game? I've been considering getting into these games forever and am wondering if this should be the one.

This is not a good game to start with- the story is very barebones in this one. Story-wise Totori is probably the best, but it's also one of the older modern ones. I also like Ayesha's story.

Beat
Palmyra
last night, and uh...wow that was easy. All I have are Blitz Stones and some decent Gunade Rings and it's enough to junk these post-game bosses. The trophy ones at least, the boss in the lake off Ertona still killed me in one hit. I'm having fun getting all the events though. The game really does get better post-game like people have said especially with fast travel.

O_O, was this announced for the west at some point?.

The extra episode that connects Sophie with Firis.

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-gb/games/addons/atelier-sophie-extra-event-'latter-days-episode'/cid=EP4108-CUSA05034_00-ADDEVENT0FIRIS00

Woah when did this happen?

Arthea

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-gb/games/addons/atelier-sophie-extra-event-'latter-days-episode'/cid=EP4108-CUSA05034_00-ADDEVENT0FIRIS00

nope, we are not gonna get it
also I couldn't find even summary for it, needless to say no translation either

Beat
Palmyra
last night, and uh...wow that was easy. All I have are Blitz Stones and some decent Gunade Rings and it's enough to junk these post-game bosses. The trophy ones at least, the boss in the lake off Ertona still killed me in one hit. I'm having fun getting all the events though. The game really does get better post-game like people have said especially with fast travel.

that
Leviathan
boss is nothing compared to
golden and silver dragons, like I need totally different setup (all of it, what will take hours upon hours of real time) to do any damage to them, because lowering stats does nothing, lowering levels does nothing, even attacks that ignore defence do nothing.
This game likes to cheat in many ways

I also have very weird problem with achievements, I did most, close to all sidequests, didn't get achievement, the same is for all locations, I have been everywhere, no achievement, what gives?

JPS Kai

Well, made it off the boat and still have about 160 days to go. 999 Distilled Water already taken care of, now to work on leveling up lightning bombs and getting Blitz Cores.

Parsnip

I also have very weird problem with achievements, I did most, close to all sidequests, didn't get achievement, the same is for all locations, I have been everywhere, no achievement, what gives?
What's the first one? I don't think there's an achievement for doing most sidequests?
And did you visit every place? All the underwater areas too?
I think melted snowfields count as a separate location.

Clov

So this is a DLC event for Sophie? Do you have to be a certain level to complete it, or is any level fine?

Also, a question about Flussheim.
I'm trying to make the furnace. Is there any faster way of getting metal other than synthesizing iron sand? That's a lot of metal that it needs...

Strings

It's just chain-quests, so anything that unlocks another quest.

Also, with the location achievement, you can go to an institute and see a list of every area you've been/how many there are total. I personally had a thing where I had to go back to the melted North Aurora Snowfield again, even though I'd already been there.

LOL. This came out roughly 2-3(?) months before Firis released in Japan. Kind of useless to release it now.

So this is a DLC event for Sophie? Do you have to be a certain level to complete it, or is any level fine?

Also, a question about Flussheim.
I'm trying to make the furnace. Is there any faster way of getting metal other than synthesizing iron sand? That's a lot of metal that it needs...

Buy out Logy every seven days. He's cheap, and offers like... 18ish metals?

Arthea

It's just chain-quests, so anything that unlocks another quest.

Also, with the location achievement, you can go to an institute and see a list of every area you've been/how many there are total. I personally had a thing where I had to go back to the melted North Aurora Snowfield again, even though I'd already been there.

Thanks for the tip

unrelated info: number of monsters and bosses in this game is ridiculous. I strongly advice against doing full 100% for this game, it's much more pain than it is worth, really, I'm very close to giving up myself.

What's the first one? I don't think there's an achievement for doing most sidequests?
And did you visit every place? All the underwater areas too?
I think melted snowfields count as a separate location.

there is an achievement for chain quests, I have no idea how many quests is needed for that, but I somehow doubt that I haven't met reqs still, unless there is some another hidden trigger for it too.

Parsnip

there is an achievement for chain quests, I have no idea how many quests is needed for that, but I somehow doubt that I haven't met reqs still, unless there is some another hidden trigger for it too.

But I'm looking at your steam cheevos and you have that already.

Leave It to Firis!
Completed a lot of chain quests.
Unlocked 24 Mar

nope, we are not gonna get it
also I couldn't find even summary for it, needless to say no translation either

Except according to that link, it's out. Now. In the UK, at least. English description in the PSN store too, so probably translated/localized?

I wonder if I could make a new GB account, grab that DLC, and play it using my NA Sophie disc. It's 1.6MB, which seems pretty small, but chances are the new scenario's just quest text anyways so I guess that's not necessarily a sign that it's not what we think it is.

Parsnip

Except according to that link, it's out. Now. In the UK, at least. English description in the PSN store too, so probably translated/localized?

I wonder if I could make a new GB account, grab that DLC, and play it using my NA Sophie disc. It's 1.6MB, which seems pretty small, but chances are the new scenario's just quest text anyways so I guess that's not necessarily a sign that it's not what we think it is.
Based on the screenshots on the store page too, it's localized.

I somehow don't expect it to land on PC so if someone grabs that, I wouldn't mind a summary of the events.

Arthea

I somehow don't expect it to land on PC so if someone grabs that, I wouldn't mind a summary of the events.

I second this, would gladly read a summary as I'm sure we aren't getting it on steam

Jathaine

I've not played this game, so can someone answer one question (and spoil me on the answer if there is one, in PMs if need be)
Is there a good explanation for Monika not being in the game while Sophie and Oskar are?

Arthea

I've not played this game, so can someone answer one question (and spoil me on the answer if there is one, in PMs if need be)
Is there a good explanation for Monika not being in the game while Sophie and Oskar are?

no explanation

Is the new Sophie DLC not out in North America?

Oh, hey, so it is. I didn't think to try SEARCHING PSN, I just assumed the GB link would redirect to the proper product if it existed. Steam doesn't have the DLC up. I guess we'll see if they bother porting it to PC.

Guess I know what I'm doing this weekend
or tonight

Battlechili

Banned
so only we on PC didn't get it
typical lol

Oh, hey, so it is. I didn't think to try SEARCHING PSN, I just assumed the GB link would redirect to the proper product if it existed. Steam doesn't have the DLC up. I guess we'll see if they bother porting it to PC.

Guess I know what I'm doing this weekend
or tonight
https://twitter.com/KoeiTecmoUS/status/847511852619780101

Parsnip

I guess it's a small miracle that they even localized it. Didn't it come out in Japan sometime in September? Well, anyways, I suppose I might play it when it comes to PC, it really depends on how long the delay is.

no explanation
Well, kind of.
There's a passing mention that Monika is taking care of the church while Pamela is traveling, or something like that.
But really Oskar is just doing his plant thing on his own, his path just happens to cross Firis and company. He's not really a key figure and you can see the first credits without ever seeing him.

I guess it's a small miracle that they even localized it. Didn't it come out in Japan sometime in September? Well, anyways, I suppose I might play it when it comes to PC, it really depends on how long the delay is.

Well, kind of.
There's a passing mention that Monika is taking care of the church while Pamela is traveling, or something like that.
But really Oskar is just doing his plant thing on his own, his path just happens to cross Firis and company. He's not really a key figure and you can see the first credits without ever seeing him.

Also I feel like Atelier games usually don't give much of a reason for why some people travel and some don't besides "idk I felt like leaving [insert name of previous game's town]." Like, someone randomly shows up in Escha & Logy and the only justification is "well I was traveling with someone else and oops we got split up." (names withheld for spoiler reasons)

Clov

Alright, so while I have enough recommendation letters now, I thought I'd get the other two for fun. I heard there was one in a town in Weist Planes, but I can't find the town. I'm at the left side of the map. Everything's really strong, and I feel like I'm not supposed to be here. I still have 187 days to get to Reisenburg, so I'm not too worried, but... did I mess up? How do I find this town?

Anyone know hoe to access the Sophie DLC once you have it downloaded?

I got the first DLC event as soon as I loaded my last save. I did get the platinum, so that's not necessarily super helpful. Based on what's in it, I imagine you'd have to at least have the story finished.

Oh, also, be sure to grab the 1.01 patch first. Apparently the patch was released alongside the DLC.

I got the first DLC event as soon as I loaded my last save. I did get the platinum, so that's not necessarily super helpful. Based on what's in it, I imagine you'd have to at least have the story finished.

Oh, also, be sure to grab the 1.01 patch first. Apparently the patch was released alongside the DLC.

That was it, I just didn't have the patch.

Alright, so while I have enough recommendation letters now, I thought I'd get the other two for fun. I heard there was one in a town in Weist Planes, but I can't find the town. I'm at the left side of the map. Everything's really strong, and I feel like I'm not supposed to be here. I still have 187 days to get to Reisenburg, so I'm not too worried, but... did I mess up? How do I find this town?

The left side of the map is where you start from, no? Ertona is in the top left. I don't recall anything super strong on the left side but it's quite possible you've run into an area boss or are just relatively low level (I can totally see the latter being true if you've got 187 days left). If you already have three letters, I assume that means you've already passed through Flussheim, so I'm actually guessing you've mixed up your left and right? If you mixed up the directions and you're actually on the right side, the good news is that a) stuff is supposed to be harder there, you haven't done anything wrong; and b) you're reasonably close to Reisenberg, it's in the bottom-right corner of the map. Just try to fill out the map as best you can, there are a few dead ends if you just try to beeline for Reisenberg but one of those dead ends leads you to Weist Plains so it works out anyways. If you run short on time and need to know exactly how to get to Reisenberg:
Flussheim/Shanty Street, take the boat --> Claudel Prairie, then on foot --> Fatalia Summit --> South Auoro Snowfield --> Ant Nest Trail --> Reisenberg, or alternatively Claudel Prairie --> Weist Plain --> Ant Nest Trail --> Reisenberg but I'm not sure that path is accessible that early in the game, you need to do a couple of things for that to work.

In general, the game's not amazing at warning you in advance that an area will have high-level enemies in it that will grind you into pulp. I wouldn't let that worry you very much.

Came back to this to clean up endings before my NG+ run (aka Operation
Obliterate Sophie
), and found a weird quirk/glitch. I just unlocked Drossel's ending, leaving only Kald's, and I'm still pretty early in his questline. When I go to leave Ertona, though, I get the true ending option...?

Clov

Major Alchemy Exam Spoilers:
So, how can I beat Ill? Is there some sort of armor for Firis that can give her decent defense? I tried making that Colorful Vest, only to find that she can't wear it. Is there a good attack item that can help? My Blitz Cores are only doing around 22 damage at a time to her, and then she just heals. I'm assuming that Sophie is even more tough than her, so what do I need to make in order to beat them?

Arthea

This game will be the end of me, so I decided forgo my 100% quest and concentrate on getting the last achievement, and behold! I can't get Luis
to sing her song, the last event I had with her was where she is creating a song for FIris.
Nothing after, no events, quests, nothing, I talk to her everywhere I can find her, nothing, I don't have any quests either. What do I do now? This is ridiculous!
Damn this game.

So, how can I beat Ill? Is there some sort of armor for Firis that can give her decent defense? I tried making that Colorful Vest, only to find that she can't wear it. Is there a good attack item that can help? My Blitz Cores are only doing around 22 damage at a time to her, and then she just heals. I'm assuming that Sophie is even more tough than her, so what do I need to make in order to beat them?

you need good cores (high quality with good traits) and the same is true about armour, weapons and accessories.
For Sophie fight you need add HP traits on all equitable items, if your Firis is bellow 200 hp, she'll likely die, you also need a good healing item. And yes, Ill is easy

Came back to this to clean up endings before my NG+ run (aka Operation
Obliterate Sophie
), and found a weird quirk/glitch. I just unlocked Drossel's ending, leaving only Kald's, and I'm still pretty early in his questline. When I go to leave Ertona, though, I get the true ending option...?

not sure what do you mean by true ending, certain endings require you to unlock all other endings.

It would help to know your Firis's stats and equipment. FWIW, if you're having trouble with
Ilmeria
, you should
probably forget about beating Sophie until NG+ or unless you have a lot of time left, because she's orders of magnitude more difficult.

Better attack items and better stats are really the most important things. You don't actually need Blitz Cores to beat Ilmeria; I did it with just Ori Bombs, Blitz Stones, and maybe Lightning Crystal (it was a while ago). As for defense, the type of armor actually doesn't matter that much; I used Nightshade. The key is to put Well Rounded Power on all your gear; that +10 to all non-resistance stats adds up quick. My Firis had attack/defense/speed of 80/78/94, and I don't recall Ilmeria putting up a huge fight, so you should be aiming for that ballpark at least.

Clov

This game will be the end of me, so I decided forgo my 100% quest and concentrate on getting the last achievement, and behold! I can't get Luis
to sing her song, the last event I had with her was where she is creating a song for FIris.
Nothing after, no events, quests, nothing, I talk to her everywhere I can find her, nothing, I don't have any quests either. What do I do now? This is ridiculous!
Damn this game.

you need good cores (high quality with good traits) and the same is true about armour, weapons and accessories.
For Sophie fight you need add HP traits on all equitable items, if your Firis is bellow 200 hp, she'll likely die, you also need a good healing item. And yes, Ill is easy

Over 200? Even if I turn the difficulty down to easy? Yeah, no way I'll be able to manage that. I think I'll just give up on fighting them.

It would help to know your Firis's stats and equipment. FWIW, if you're having trouble with
Ilmeria
, you should
probably forget about beating Sophie until NG+ or unless you have a lot of time left, because she's orders of magnitude more difficult.

Better attack items and better stats are really the most important things. You don't actually need Blitz Cores to beat Ilmeria; I did it with just Ori Bombs, Blitz Stones, and maybe Lightning Crystal (it was a while ago). As for defense, the type of armor actually doesn't matter that much; I used Nightshade. The key is to put Well Rounded Power on all your gear; that +10 to all non-resistance stats adds up quick. My Firis had attack/defense/speed of 80/78/94, and I don't recall Ilmeria putting up a huge fight, so you should be aiming for that ballpark at least.

My Firis' stats are... considerably lower than that, I don't think I'll be able to manage it.

Arthea

Over 200? Even if I turn the difficulty down to easy? Yeah, no way I'll be able to manage that. I think I'll just give up on fighting them.

My Firis' stats are... considerably lower than that, I don't think I'll be able to manage it.

Don't give up yet, tell me how much time you have left, and what level your Firis is.
It'll give me idea what can you do.

Arthea

My combat level is only 19, and I'm level 29 in alchemy, with 113 days remaining.

you have enough time if you already have materials with required traits, if you'll have some time left, try to get more levels for Firis, just outside the city, don't go too far not to waste time, and only after you did all items and equipment. If you don't have required traits, you can try to gather, but most likely you won't have enough time for getting everything. There is what you need:

Any staff and amour you can make for her with Well rounded power (+10 to every stat) and hp +50 (don't remember how it is called, for third slot you can go for +7 to all stats, or more HP+.
You need two accessories: gunade ring (adds significantly to stats) and angel ribbon (grants some status resistances) with the same traits as before.
This should get you to decent stats for those fights.

now onto damage, some high quality blitz cores with ultimate destruction, single bonus, and I had One hit kill for criticals too, but you can replace it with mach throw, seems more useful for those fights

for healing Breeze aroma: mach throw, ultimate recovery (not sure it is called like this), and if you have any other good recovery trait add that, I didn't have so I added some quality.

needless to say all effects has to be unlocked on all items, and highest quality you can get, you probably won't be able to get 999 yet, but you can get up to 200 and above.

check encyclopedia for traits you already have
you also can buy both accessories from traiders, but those won't have traits you need.

Clov

you have enough time if you already have materials with required traits, if you'll have some time left, try to get more levels for Firis, just outside the city, don't go too far not to waste time, and only after you did all items and equipment. If you don't have required traits, you can try to gather, but most likely you won't have enough time for getting everything. There is what you need:

Any staff and amour you can make for her with Well rounded power (+10 to every stat) and hp +50 (don't remember how it is called, for third slot you can go for +7 to all stats, or more HP+.
You need two accessories: gunade ring (adds significantly to stats) and angel ribbon (grants some status resistances) with the same traits as before.
This should get you to decent stats for those fights.

now onto damage, some high quality blitz cores with ultimate destruction, single bonus, and I had One hit kill for criticals too, but you can replace it with mach throw, seems more useful for those fights

for healing Breeze aroma: mach throw, ultimate recovery (not sure it is called like this), and if you have any other good recovery trait add that, I didn't have so I added some quality.

needless to say all effects has to be unlocked on all items, and highest quality you can get, you probably won't be able to get 999 yet, but you can get up to 200 and above.

check encyclopedia for traits you already have
you also can buy both accessories from traiders, but those won't have traits you need.

It does seem like a lot of work, but I'll think about giving it a shot.

not sure what do you mean by true ending, certain endings require you to unlock all other endings.

As far as I am aware,
the true ending is the one you get by selecting "I don't want to choose just one!" or something to that effect. I already have that option even though I don't have Kald's ending.
I'll try firing up the game and seeing what happens if I pick that ending.

My combat level is only 19, and I'm level 29 in alchemy, with 113 days remaining.

Yeah, I'd +1 Arthea and say you can definitely make it in that time. Most of that work is just in getting ingredients with Well Rounded Power and then crafting a weapon, armor and accessories that have that trait. This isn't actually too difficult and can easily be done in the time you have, but if needed I would even prioritize that above making high quality cores; like I told you, I didn't bother with cores at all when I did it.
You'll probably need them for Sophie but I'd say that's a much harder nut to crack right now.
Making better gear will be more generally useful to you right now because it'll also allow you to beat higher-level enemies immediately, which opens up more of the world and hopefully gets you access to better materials.

This is where some of the real joy in Atelier games comes in, if you're new to the franchise. A few tips: if you don't have any ingredients that have Well Rounded Power (and honestly I'd be surprised if you literally have none, it seems to be relatively easy to find given its strength), you can combine All Stat Enhance and All Stat Boost to get that trait; just synthesize an item with ingredients that have both those traits, and they'll merge automatically when it comes time to choose your traits on the final item. Also, feel free to throw on other stat-boosting traits as well like Develops/Enhances the Body (which themselves can be crafted using some combination of Parameters +X% if necessary), Power of Life or some lower version thereof (+50 HP), or HPMP Super Enhance or some lower version thereof (+30 HP/MP if I remember correctly). For
Ilmeria
it doesn't matter too much. For
Sophie
definitely use Power of Life and Well Rounded Power at minimum, those are practically required.

Two things will help you figure out how to get traits on random ingredients or synthesized items onto the gear you need it on. First, when synthesizing an item (say, Gunade Ring), when selecting ingredients, you can filter by trait by pressing Triangle/Y. In addition to the obvious use, when you try to filter by trait you get a dropdown list containing ONLY the traits available to you in the pool of ingredients you have to choose from. So you can get a pretty good sense of what you can and cannot use. Second, again when synthesizing an item, press the Options/Start button to see if you can craft any items that can be used as an ingredient. This is the bread and butter of moving traits from ingredient to ingredient until you get the trait on the final product.

Atelier games basically never tell you about these UI features, probably because they're kind of arcane and not necessarily useful early on when you're just trying to learn how to make stuff that isn't completely awful. But they're really handy for crafting items with high-level traits. Good luck!

Strings

I second this, would gladly read a summary as I'm sure we aren't getting it on steam

http://www.jrpgreview.com/blog/atelier-sophie-afterstory-dlc

^^ was the summary I used before playing Firis. Guy generally writes pretty good import reviews too if you're interested in that sort of thing at all.

EDIT:
Damn this game.

Oh, just in case you still needed help with this. Her events trigger by buying her items. So do the typical buy everything, sleep for 10 days thing. Also, crafting a specific item for her chain is a huge PITA, so you might want to google how to get the recipe instead of hoping to come across it naturally.

http://www.jrpgreview.com/blog/atelier-sophie-afterstory-dlc

^^ was the summary I used before playing Firis. Guy generally writes pretty good import reviews too if you're interested in that sort of thing at all.

In addition to this, you can actually watch the whole thing online if you wish. It's an hour and fifteen minutes, and honestly you're not missing out on much by watching it instead of playing it, especially if you already have high-level gear and items in Sophie. (I forgot how much you can break the game compared to Firis--I didn't bother with items at all because all my weapons hit for ridiculous amounts of damage)

--

Follow-up to one of my earlier posts: I did indeed unlock the true ending without having Kald's ending unlocked. Got the Steam achievement and everything. Really weird.

Parsnip

In addition to this, you can actually watch the whole thing online if you wish. It's an hour and fifteen minutes, and honestly you're not missing out on much by watching it instead of playing it, especially if you already have high-level gear and items in Sophie. (I forgot how much you can break the game compared to Firis--I didn't bother with items at all because all my weapons hit for ridiculous amounts of damage)

👍👍
I think I'm just going watch it since the PC date is unknown and I already uninstalled Sophie anyway.

rickyson1

lame I see the crashing issues I was having never did get fixed

was trying to pick up where I left off before I stopped for a while to play the nonary games and the game crashed on me twice in under an hour

JPS Kai

Just made it to Reisenberg and it seems like my game is bugged. Sadly, I didn't notice this until after I overwrote my last save.

I'm doing the Exploring Reisenberg quests, but I can't seem to do Reisenberg: Edge or Reisenberg: Shops.

No NPC's load inside Nanna's Shop

I had a short cutscene where a nun showed up to talk about her shop, but I've never seen her show up around the quest marker (or inside Nanna's Shop)

Only other events that happening are Luis' events asking for five Ertona Salve and a few random sidequests.

Am I screwed?

Edit: I saw on GameFAQs that someone else was having a similar issue. It turns out that somehow my game never loaded this cutscene and that could be what broke the story flags.

Top Bottom