• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ATI 58XX Preview - Media Stuff goes in here.

Does anyone know what power supply is best for these cards. I'd get the best card, but i dont have money to upgrade my computer, so im not sure if my 400w power supply could run any of these cards.

IMACOMPUTA

Wow. That ENB mod is awesome!
But is there a way to get my crosshair and hud back?
Here are some screens!!

1pylup.png

fu5r0h.png

rvbss2.png

208ta3o.png

1zdt3tj.png

dpz5i1.png

Zyzyxxz

Holy hell GTA4 looks nice!

Any good gameplay mods for it though? Even if it looks nice I didn't really like it all that much.

IMACOMPUTA

Well, the trainers pretty much open the game up completely. There are some fun things you can do with them.
You can spawn any item/car/pedestrian etc, so you can create some pretty funny or fun situations. I'm enjoying it a LOT more than the console version. A lot of people complained that GTAIV wasn't fun like SA was.. that it was too serious and realistic. Well, having a trainer kind of fixes that.

FoxSpirit

I wish Saints Row 2 on PC wasn't so reportedly buggy... I really liked it but it definitely would have needed some PC love... and some good texture packs :lol

Forsete

Sorry to bring up nVidia in this thread, but I am looking to upgrade my stationary PC in the coming months.. Any idea when nVidia might announce their upcoming cards? Right now it looks like I will grab the HD 5850.

Sorry I dont keep up to date when it comes to GPU news, I only update myself when its time to upgrade the PC. :p

Shai-Tan

Banned
I don't think Nvidia will have anything in stores until early next year... which sucks because I just bought a GTX 275 in September. If they were releasing anything in the next three months I could use EVGA step up.

I also bought a 4890 for another computer a few weeks before the 5850 :/

Tzeentch

I'm waiting for the 5870X2 to be benchmarked, I thought it was supposed to be out by the end of October but I've seen nothing but supposed photos of the test cards.

Forsete said:
Sorry to bring up nVidia in this thread, but I am looking to upgrade my stationary PC in the coming months.. Any idea when nVidia might announce their upcoming cards? Right now it looks like I will grab the HD 5850.

Sorry I dont keep up to date when it comes to GPU news, I only update myself when its time to upgrade the PC. :p
First half of next year, maybe. :lol

Buy a 5850 and make sure your motherboard supports crossfire for future upgrades. I wouldn't be surprised to see the 6000 series come out a couple months after Nvidia's new cards.

Forsete

Thanks all.

Buy a 5850 and make sure your motherboard supports crossfire for future upgrades.

Good advice, will do. :)

Right now the config looks like this, but I have to look up each item to read reviews and check compatibility.

Intel Core™ i7 920 Quad Processor 2595:-
ASUS P6T SE, X58, Socket-1366 1850:-
Kingston DDR3 HyperX 1600MHz 4GB 1045:-
ASUS Radeon HD 5850 1GB GDDR5 2550:-
Cooler Master CM 690 Midi Tower Svart 745:-
Corsair TX 650W PSU 895:-

Any input here?

Durante

I have the same MB and CPU (clocked at 3.6GHz), the only advice I'd give is to go with triple channel ram. Otherwise why splurge on the Socket-1366 platform?

MightyKAC

Forsete said:
Thanks all.

Right now the config looks like this, but I have to look up each item to read reviews and check compatibility.

Any input here?

Looks like a winner to me. Still plan on doing the crossfire thing?

Sysgen

Forsete said:
Thanks all.

Any input here?

I have that motherboard. If ultimately you're going to xfire then you'll need a larger power supply and the mb manual says as much.

pestul

Durante said:
I have the same MB and CPU (clocked at 3.6GHz), the only advice I'd give is to go with triple channel ram. Otherwise why splurge on the Socket-1366 platform?
Seconded.. go with 6GB triple.

Forsete

Durante: I will look into it, thanks.

Crossfire? Not at the moment, maybe the future. What kind of PSU would that require?

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Quick question:
I can get a 5770 for about the same price as a 4870, but according to a post on the previous page the 5770 apparently performs worse than the 4870. So should I just skip the 5770 and just get the 4870 instead? Or eventually a 4890?

Sysgen

Forsete said:
Durante: I will look into it, thanks.

Crossfire? Not at the moment, maybe the future. What kind of PSU would that require?

P6T SE Manual. Look on page 2-33. Since the 58XX has lower power consumtion I'm not sure you'll need 1000w PSU for xfire. On that page is also a link to the ASUS power requirements calc. so you can check.

nubbe

Forsete said:
Intel Core™ i5 750 Quad Processor ~1795:-
Gigabyte UD4, P55, Socket-1156 ~1595:-

Any input here?
Save about ~1000 pesetas and get better performance

Got a new Sapphire 5850 in yesterday and installed last night. Haven't had too much time to play around with it. Upgraded from an 8800GT and I game at 1680x1050.

With all settings set to max, there's a definite improvement in some games such as the Risen Demo and Dark Crusader of M&M where the 8800 would drop frames.

However, there are definitely some early driver problems. Trackmania Nations Forever is exhibiting some weird graphical glitches that weren't present before, and Halo 2 PC actually seems to run a little worse than on the 8800. The framerate seems really good most of the time but moving around causes it to randomly "chop up" if that makes any sense. Certain effects like glowing items seem to be visible through walls now. While it's still very playable, it's always disheartening to drop that kind of money on a card and get a worse experience in a favorite game.

Nobby

Has anyone else tried the physx with main ati card enabler patch? I just tried it out and was able to run Batman demo with high physx and it ran smooth. Pretty subtle effects but interacting with smoke is definitely kind of cool. I'm running a 5850 with an 8800gt. Very easy to do, I recommend anyone that is jumping from nvidia to do it.

how to

Antec Nine Hundred Black ATX
Corsair TX-650W
Motherboard Asus P6TD Deluxe Sk1366
Intel Core i7 920 Box SLBEJ D0
heatsink Noctua para CPU NH-U12P SE2
Corsair DDR3 XMS3 PC3-1600 (3x2GB) C7
HDD Samsung 1TB SATA2 HD103SJ
LG 22x DVD-RW GH22NS50 SATA Preto Bulk
VGA XFX HD5870 850M 1GB DDR5
HD-587A-ZNF9
Sony Multi-Card Reader/Writer

Planning to buy that, any input?

DieH@rd

Banned
Bluemercury said:
Antec Nine Hundred Black ATX
Corsair TX-650W
Motherboard Asus P6TD Deluxe Sk1366
Intel Core i7 920 Box SLBEJ D0
heatsink Noctua para CPU NH-U12P SE2
Corsair DDR3 XMS3 PC3-1600 (3x2GB) C7
HDD Samsung 1TB SATA2 HD103SJ
LG 22x DVD-RW GH22NS50 SATA Preto Bulk
VGA XFX HD5870 850M 1GB DDR5
HD-587A-ZNF9
Sony Multi-Card Reader/Writer

Planning to buy that, any input?

Add to that 15" CRT monitor AND YOU ARE SET! :D

Nobby said:
Has anyone else tried the physx with main ati card enabler patch? I just tried it out and was able to run Batman demo with high physx and it ran smooth. Pretty subtle effects but interacting with smoke is definitely kind of cool. I'm running a 5850 with an 8800gt. Very easy to do, I recommend anyone that is jumping from nvidia to do it.

how to

so... you have to have both an NVIDIA and ATI card plugged in? or am I reading this wrong?

Nobby

Yes, I have a 5850 doing all the graphics rendering with all the video cables also plugged into it. I also have a 8800gt plugged in solely doing the physx rendering.

Nobby

I have a i7 920 o/c'd on stock voltage, 3 hd's, water cooler, 5850 and 8800gt running off a corsair 750 watt, not sure how that compares to 5870 and 9800gx2 though.

bump

um. i'm trying to enable VPU Recover in the CCC. But the one that is installed in the Windows 7 package is completely different and seems to lack a bunch of options than the ones in the Windows XP version. Am I the only one seeing the difference?

M3d10n

DennisK4 said:
Two new real-time demoes from ATI for those with 58xx cards. Shows some DX11 features.

http://developer.amd.com/samples/demos/pages/ATIRadeonHD5800SeriesRealTimeDemos.aspx
That's some quality depth of field. I'm tired of the vaseline-based approach used in most games, which looks more like a mangled bloom. Blame on Bungie, which first used the technique in Halo 2 and made a paper out of it.

Ironically the best DOF I've seen used in actual games is Metal Gear Solid 2's. It supported focal plane distance, in-focus objects had no halos around them and nearby out-of-focus objects would blend perfectly against in-focus foreground objects (no sharp silhouettes). Not even MGS4 manages the same effect.

IceIpor

fistfulofmetal said:
bump

um. i'm trying to enable VPU Recover in the CCC. But the one that is installed in the Windows 7 package is completely different and seems to lack a bunch of options than the ones in the Windows XP version. Am I the only one seeing the difference?

ATI's VPU Recover is disabled in Vista/7 because Vista/7 already has a similar recovery ability built into the OS.

Forsete

Any way to get the old ATI Tech demo "Toy Store" to work on the 5800 series with Win7? I downloaded and when I try to launch it says error loading Sushi.ini .. Hmm?

Cronox

Banned
I just hope there'll be a next generation of affordable laptop graphics before I buy a new laptop early next year...

ntropy

Forsete said:
Thanks all.

Any input here?
hmm, i would get more RAM for triple-channel goodness

szaromir

Banned
Here's the question. When can we expect the next wave of AMD GPUs price drops? I would like to buy 5750 or 5770, but would be willing to pay only the current price of 4850. I am patient, so there's no rush.

szaromir said:
Here's the question. When can we expect the next wave of AMD GPUs price drops? I would like to buy 5750 or 5770, but would be willing to pay only the current price of 4850. I am patient, so there's no rush.

Their SRPs are already very competitve, retail are just slightly inflating prices whilst stock is low, so you can probably expect a $20 drop before the end of the year. I wouldn't expect anything major until Nvidia bring some real competition and sadly there's nothing on the roadmap that's going to hit that segment anytime soon.

szaromir

Banned
brain_stew said:
Their SRPs are already very competitve
I realize that. I just really have to budget my gaming purchases, but would like this new hardware at the same time. I have several older games to finish first, but I'd love to play STALKER with 2009 mod on high settings (I assume it'd be enough for 1280x1024 resolution?).

Mad Max

Forsete said:
Thanks all.

Any input here?

I'd go for a i5-750 + something like a ASUS P7P55D instead, so you have some money left to use on a hd5870. Because the difference in performance between i5 and i7 is really small, if you plan to use this system for gaming atleast. The difference in performance between a 5850 and a 5870 is much bigger in comparison.

Also, socket 1156 is probably more future proof, if you care about that sort of thing.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Mad Max said:
I'd go for a i5-750 + something like a ASUS P7P55D instead, so you have some money left to use on a hd5870. Because the difference in performance between i5 and i7 is really small, if you plan to use this system for gaming atleast. The difference in performance between a 5850 and a 5870 is much bigger in comparison.

Also, socket 1156 is probably more future proof, if you care about that sort of thing.
I wouldn't bother. The 5850 overclocks to 5870 speeds without even breaking a sweat. If you need more performance than that then you might as well spend the $140 extra and get crossfire 5850s.

Top Bottom