• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ATI 58XX Preview - Media Stuff goes in here.

MightyKAC

So here's a question,

Stereophonic (AKA "True") 3d.
Is this something thats proprietary to NVIDIA. Or is it just a feature that ATI has simply failed to support.

If it's the former then I guess I understand why its not an option for ATI cards. But if its not then I'd really like to know why when this is something that games are supporting in such a big way as of late.

In all I guess I'd REALLY like to see how these new cards handle 3d games.

Revelations said:
...about 875 watts I believe. But I don't think thats minimum. Maybe 575 wattage power supply minimal.

What the hell! :lol

Any quality 500w PSU will run basically any single GPU rig just fine. 875w!? Really now. :lol

Terrifyer

Banned
Binabik15 said:
Standard 5850 or overclocked?

Damn, my mother insisted on giving me money in addition to the 360 pc controller and the book as a present, now I don´t know if I should upgrade to the 5870.

But I doubt I´ll need it, since nobody uses the cryengine for other games and the 5850 should run everything but Crysis well at 1080p, right?

That was just using a 5850 at stock clocks...and yea the 5850 can handle most other stuff at 1080p quite well. It seems to be the better choice for price/performance and you can always get another one later for crossfire.

DennisK4 said:
Nice shots there Crab, and 1920x1080 everythingh very high with 35-50 fps is very impressive. I assume no AA though ?

I love Arma 2 and it is one of the reasons I will be upgrading to one of the 5870 series cards soon.

Yeah, no AA to keep steady over 30fps @ 1080p.

And to whoever asked the highest you can go in the catalyst overdrive as far as clock speed is 775mhz core, 1125mhz memory. Is there a 3rd party overclocking app that supports the 58xx cards? I think 800mhz core, 1200mhz memory should be no problem, I haven't had a single issue with it at it's current clock speeds.

Terrifyer

Banned
Two more screenshots, this time of assassin's creed. The game ran at a constant 40+fps with 8x edge detect SSAA and 16x AF. I overclocked the 5850 to the CCC maximum of 775/1125 without any problems so far.

eiw5x.jpg

24et9gl.jpg

IMACOMPUTA

I forgot to mention that I have my CCC set to 8x SSAA edge detect 24 samples in those gta shots.
But it seems like yours looks a lot better, DennisDK4.
Am i doing something wrong?
346wbkn.jpg

p.s.
Here's a video i took of GTA. It's quite compressed.. kinda just uploaded it to see how it'd turn out.
View My Video

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I was expecting better performance out of it honestly.

Looks like the bandwidth gimp does hurt quite a bit too.
Bummer.

nubbe

Considering that 5770 is going for the same price as the 4870 and has about the same performance, I'd guess the 4870 will be gone from shelves in a month.

Get it while you can. Unless you are hot for HDMI bitstreaming.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
nubbe said:
Considering that 5770 is going for the same price as the 4870 and has about the same performance, I'd guess the 4870 will be gone from shelves in a month.

Get it while you can. Unless you are hot for HDMI bitstreaming.
It's more.

4870 were routinely going for $130 AR vs $160 for mostly worse performance.

Sure the 5770 uses less power and can power an additional display (with an expensive adapter?), but it's just not worth it for games.

Leonsito

I'm a bit lost with this Ati updates, does it goes like this?:

5870 (best performance)
5770 (replaces 4870)
5750 ("worst" performance) (replaces 4850)

Right?

I bought a HD 4850 a few months ago for my sister, but the card died this weekend so I will have to upgrade it :(

Edit: I mixed the numbers lol, thx evlcookie

SapientWolf said:
Holy shit at DennisK4's GTAIV shots. And the crazy thing is that it is probably still CPU limited.

Nah, not even close.

Leonsito said:
I'm a bit lost with this Ati updates, does it goes like this?:

5870 (best performance)
5770 (replaces 4870)
5750 ("worst" performance) (replaces 4850)

Right?

I bought a HD 4850 a few months ago for my sister, but the card died this weekend so I will have to upgrade it :(

Edit: I mixed the numbers lol, thx evlcookie

Um, the card's still under warranty, just get it replaced for free.

Leonsito

brain_stew said:
Nah, not even close.

Um, the card's still under warranty, just get it replaced for free.

I always have problem with gpus warranties, they always try to pass the blame on me, it's a bit hard with some manufactureres or shops, tomorrow I will know if they replace it for free :(

I think is clearly a faulty gpu, when I power on the computer it gives me one long beep and then three short beeps, gpu memory error I think.

nubbe

Leonsito said:
I always have problem with gpus warranties, they always try to pass the blame on me, it's a bit hard with some manufactureres or shops, tomorrow I will know if they replace it for free :(

I think is clearly a faulty gpu, when I power on the computer it gives me one long beep and then three short beeps, gpu memory error I think.
Pro tip

Just break the fan and there wont be any issues about hardware malfunction.

Jeez, does anyone got a 5870 crossfire solution in this thread? It's like thats no mans land or something. Havn't seen any user impression of that godly setup anywhere.

waxer

SuperEnemyCrab said:
Is there a 3rd party overclocking app that supports the 58xx cards? I think 800mhz core, 1200mhz memory should be no problem, I haven't had a single issue with it at it's current clock speeds.
guru3d have a thread on getting afterburner going on 5850. Been following in anticipation of my card finally arriving.
cfg change for voltage in afterburner
If Im reading correctly they are pushing overclock to 1000/1220
here

Jaagen

With these results, I'm torn on whenever to get the 5770 or just go with the 5850. Both cards will anyway be better than my aging 3870.

Zaptruder

Banned
Jaagen said:
With these results, I'm torn on whenever to get the 5770 or just go with the 5850. Both cards will anyway be better than my aging 3870.
5850. You'll feel like you're getting a next gen card.

Jaagen said:
Might as well go with 5870 now and save yourself this very crossroad in the future. :D

Revelations said:
Might as well go with 5870 now and save yourself this very crossroad in the future. :D

Paying as much as a 50% price premium for a 20% boost in performance doesn't seem like the smartest thing to do for someone on a budget.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Interesting to see alot of 5850 suggestions, i'm really tempted to throw a 5870 into a new pc build i'm looking at doing. I've never been one to go high end, always middle of the road, it's why my current card is a 4850. But i figured i should spend the extra money and go high end this time around, however i hate spending money so i'm finding it hard to decide :lol

It's about AUD$170 more for a 5870 over a 5850 in AUS, depending on where you buy but that seems to be the average.

brain_stew said:
Paying as much as a 50% price premium for a 20% boost in performance doesn't seem like the smartest thing to do for someone on a budget.
I'd say a 25%+ boost is worth it considering what he'd be saving down the line in performance updates. Since he's updating from a 3870 the switch will be that much more dramatic. That's more than a 20% boost.

Jaagen

A 5870 it's not worth it ATM, since it's a $600 card here in Norway. I might as well just save up for the 5850 seeing it's $200 cheaper.

irfan said:
Nvidia preparing to fight 5700 series with ... GT220. http://www.fudzilla.com/content/view/15881/34/

:lol :lol :lol

DirectX10.1 versus DirectX11
48SPs versus 800SPs

Its also in a different price bracket but still whats the point of coinciding the launch with the 5700 launch. :/
I don't know man, the reviews have been pretty good for it.

NVIDIA wants to see these cards sell for $69-$79, with the best cards (those with GDDR3) selling at that $79 price point. However depending on your taste for rebates, we can get a Radeon HD 4670 for between $59 and $69, or on the NVIDIA side a 9600GT for between $69 and $85.

Either one of these cards is simply going to beat the GT 220 silly; it was never meant to compete with a 64SP NVIDIA card, or a 320SP AMD card. And don’t even get us started on the 4850 that Newegg is selling for $85 right now…

This is turning out to be a rough fall for NVIDIA. AMD has them undoubtedly beat in price-to-performance on the high-end of the market. And with today’s launch of the GT 220, it looks like AMD has them beat on the low-end too. There are very few NVIDIA cards that offer the right level of price and performance right now; the GT 220 is not one of those cards.

Eversynth

Ok, I have a "silly" question.
I currently sport 2x 8800GTS (with Sli of course).
How does a single 5850 compare?
I run a surround (3 monitors, 3840x1024) setup...

adg1034

SimpleDesign said:
I don't know man, the reviews have been pretty good for it.

Um. The section of the Anandtech review you posted actually says that in the GT220's price range, both the Radeon HD 4670 and the 9600GT beat the crap out of the GT220. Not sure which review you're reading.

antiloop

evlcookie said:

Highest number always wins in performance!

I like this about ATI. They are using logic when they name their cards. :)

Although it's not always true. 4770 beats 4830 in most cases AFAIK.

adg1034 said:
Um. The section of the Anandtech review you posted actually says that in the GT220's price range, both the Radeon HD 4670 and the 9600GT beat the crap out of the GT220. Not sure which review you're reading.
Sarcasm.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Eversynth said:
Ok, I have a "silly" question.
I currently sport 2x 8800GTS (with Sli of course).
How does a single 5850 compare?
I run a surround (3 monitors, 3840x1024) setup...
The 5850 is about 1.5x faster, on average.

Dennis

Banned
FoxSpirit said:
How do you enable SSAA on a 4800 series card? And it really looks so nice.
You cannot enable it natively. You need to apply the ENB series gta4 v0076e mod. Install as described in the readme.

IMACOMPUTA

DennisK4 said:
You cannot enable it natively. You need to apply the ENB series gta4 v0076e mod. Install as described in the readme.

Oh, so the Catalyst Control Center AA won't work in this game? I didn't notice a difference .. (in frame rate or visual quality).

I've searched for this ENB series mod, but it appears that the guys website is down.. Do you know where else i could find it?

Dennis

Banned
IMACOMPUTA said:
Oh, so the Catalyst Control Center AA won't work in this game? I didn't notice a difference .. (in frame rate or visual quality).

I've searched for this ENB series mod, but it appears that the guys website is down.. Do you know where else i could find it?
As you say his site appears to be down.
I don't know where else to get it so maybe wait till it gets back up.
Alternatively, you can perhaps direct me to a free site where I can re-upload it ?

Top Bottom