• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ATI 58XX Preview - Media Stuff goes in here.

Minsc

Gold Member
brain_stew said:
Well that's just not true, especially the console ports part, considering even my GTX 260 can manage that just fine. My evidence is from actually playing the games on my rig, with a FRAPS counter running if necessary.

Of course it's true. Benchmarks are benchmarks, unless you're saying they're wrong, in which case feel free to pick apart any of the benchmarks individually, I listed about 10-15 games on a previous page, with the FPS from them running on a 4890. Keep in mind the benchmarks are typically running them with 4-16x AA + AF, so that obviously has a big hit on the framerate.

Dawn of War 2 only runs at 14-65fps on a 260 for instance, and hitting 14fps really isn't acceptable, so you'd need to lower the AA or details.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Minsc said:
Of course it's true. Benchmarks are benchmarks, unless you're saying they're wrong, in which case feel free to pick apart any of the benchmarks individually, I listed about 10-15 games on a previous page, with the FPS from them running on a 4890. Keep in mind the benchmarks are typically running them with 4-16x AA + AF, so that obviously has a big hit on the framerate.

Dawn of War 2 only runs at 14-65fps on a 260 for instance, and hitting 14fps really isn't acceptable, so you'd need to lower the AA or details.
Isn't DoWII typically CPU limited though? The Company of Heroes engine is almost half a decade old.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
SapientWolf said:
Isn't DoWII typically CPU limited though? The Company of Heroes engine is almost half a decade old.
I turned shadows to Low and cruised through at 50-65 fps with mt E7200 @ 3.8 and GTX 260, 1920x1080.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Hazaro said:
Jeez, how many watts are those things going to eat? I can't even see those doing 45w. I'd i bad at amagine the idle benefit would be passed down though.
They're not at all.
irfan said:
Radeon Mobility 5000 Series

• Broadway XT DDR5 -> HD5870, 256-bit, GDDR5, 45W-60W
  • Broadway Pro -> HD5850, 256-bit, GDDR5, 30W-40W
  • Broadway LP -> HD5830, 128-bit, (G)DDR3, 29W

• Madison Pro DDR5 -> HD5750, GDDR5, 20-30W
  • Madison XT DDR3 -> HD5730, (G)DDR3, 20-25W
  • Madison LP/Pro -> HD5650, 128-bit, (G)DDR3, 15-20W

• Park XT -> HD5470, 12-15W
  • Park Pro -> HD5450, 10-12W
  • Park LP -> HD5430, <8W

Like I said earlier, this is the motherload of all launches in history.
For some perspective, my GTX 260M eats ~65w at full load.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
SapientWolf said:
No, it is GPU limited. My fps went I switched from a 4870x2 to my current GTX295.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
The ruby demo, much like a similar thing they demoed last year is not something that's applicable in interactive use that's needed for games though. That's I guess why they had it titled "In the Future". It looks so realistic because it's practically an endless series of photographed lightmaps, being applied to a scanned model, each photograph carrying the lighting information photographed from the different angle. The girls face may not even be a 3D model, but rather a video base layer, over which they apply the aforementioned pile of lightmaps (but even if it's a 3D model, they of course use photographed textures of base skin, and apply lightmaps over)

Dennis

Banned
G_Berry said:
Nothing is gonna help ArmA 2 :lol
That is not true - it just needs all the GPU and CPU power you can throw at it.

I am further away from maxing out ArmA 2 than Crysis - and don't say it just that ArmA 2 is badly optimized, the game can look ridiculously good with all settings cranked to max.

Sleeker

DennisK4 said:
That is not true - it just needs all the GPU and CPU power you can throw at it.

I am further away from maxing out ArmA 2 than Crysis - and don't say it just that ArmA 2 is badly optimized, the game can look ridiculously good with all settings cranked to max.

*PICS*

what specs do you use for arma 2 and how high can they get the game to go?

Dennis

Banned
Sleeker said:
what specs do you use for arma 2 and how high can they get the game to go?
Those screenshots are with all settings max, 4xAA and 200% rendering if I remember correctly - so the game has to render twice the resolution that is displayed on screen sort of like real-time downsampling and the result is stunning.
It is not playable like that with the 4870x2 I am using at all particularily some of the urban parts of the campaign - single digit fps.

Specs
-Intel Core2 Q9550 @ 2.83GHz, 8192MB ram, ATI 4870x2

and yes I am well aware that I should overclock the CPU.

Sleeker

DennisK4 said:
Those screenshots are with all settings max, 4xAA and 200% rendering if I remember correctly - so the game has to render twice the resolution that is displayed on screen sort of like real-time downsampling and the result is stunning.
It is not playable like that with the 4870x2 I am using at all particularily some of the urban parts of the campaign - single digit fps.

Specs
-Intel Core2 Q9550 @ 2.83GHz, 8192MB ram, ATI 4870x2

and yes I am well aware that I should overclock the CPU.

it make me wonder who they expect to play their game if it needs such high specs to look like that.
ahead of its time or something.

Tzeentch

-- Crysis can look pretty fantastic with the right time-of-day settings and some cvars. That's one thing these new cards will let you do, turn on some of the hidden quality settings or run new types of shaders in these games, even if you are otherwise maxed out :)

http://crymod.com/thread.php?threadid=42773&threadview=0&hilight=&hilightuser=0&page=1

2ptnfno.jpg

forest4zm3.jpg

24y030k.jpg

artist

Banned
Tzeentch said:
-- Crysis can look pretty fantastic with the right time-of-day settings and some cvars. That's one thing these new cards will let you do, turn on some of the hidden quality settings or run new types of shaders in these games, even if you are otherwise maxed out :)

http://crymod.com/thread.php?threadid=42773&threadview=0&hilight=&hilightuser=0&page=1

http://i43.tinypic.com/2ptnfno.jpg
http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/8342/forest4zm3.jpg
http://i31.tinypic.com/24y030k.jpg
o_O

Tzeentch said:

http://i43.tinypic.com/2ptnfno.jpg
http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/8342/forest4zm3.jpg
http://i31.tinypic.com/24y030k.jpg

Hooooly Shit. I am so looking forward to playing Crysis again in 5 years.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
K.Jack said:
They're not at all.

For some perspective, my GTX 260M eats ~65w at full load.
Speaking of this, was the 4xxx mobile series all it was cranked up to be? A GTX260M is pretty affordable and popular. I dont see many configurations with the 4870M processors.

artist

Banned
godhandiscen said:
Speaking of this, was the 4xxx mobile series all it was cranked up to be? A GTX260M is pretty affordable and popular. I dont see many configurations with the 4870M processors.
At the lower end (4600 & lower) they are popular. Only the Mobility 4870 didnt take off as AMD couldnt get the downclocking of GDDR5 right .. or thats what I've heard not 100% sure on that.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I was expecting a little better honestly. Oh well.
Once the price comes down I will be much happier :D

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'm looking forward to the new Radeons as much as anyone, but damn if those aren't some manipulative graphs. It's funny how 200% is represented by a bar that is 5x higher than 100%.

Those results are damn impressive for the 5850, though.

Well, I long to get rid of my 4870x2 (x2 = never again) so buying a 5870 or whatever 5xx0 follows might end up happening. Hopefully the CHIPHELL.COM bencCHIPHELL.COMhmarks CHIPHELL.COM hold up as they are higher than I was expecting.

It's pretty crazy to see a $400, single-GPU card give the 295 such a good fight.

The 5850 looks like a decent value as well, although with a good price drop the 285 would take some of the edge off it. I'm still hoping I'll be able to pick up a 5850 around Christmas for $250 or so.

Pachael

I'd like to see slide 67.

I'll wait for the next wave (got the 4850 earlier in the year) but this is fantastic stuff from the ATI boys :)

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
godhandiscen said:
Dell is still (supposedly) in development of the 4870 GDDR5 for the new Alienware M17X, and the 4850 has finally made it into the AW M17, in Crossfre. The 4850 is also quite popular in the MSI GT725 and GT729. The 4860 (~desktop 4770) became vaporware when the 40nm yields hit the toilet.

The ASUS W90 has "4870s", but they lack the GDDR5 memory, thus are essentially 4850s with +50MHz on the core and memory.

Expect the mid-range 5XXX to appear in ASUS notebooks, sooner than people think.

Also

The mobile i7s are about to be released in Clevo and HP notebooks. The initial launch will be the i7-720QM, i7-820QM and i7-920XM, respectively clocked @ 1.6Ghz /1.73Ghz/2.0Ghz. The two lower end processor are 45w CPUs, while the 920XM is @ 55w.

Dennis

Banned
Ha ha, performance looks good if those benchmarks are indicative, but boy is that a laughably manipulative chart :lol

Seems great but I want to see a new game to take advantage of this card.
Something that will run on a single monitor and take full advantage of this card.

artist

Banned
K.Jack said:
Dell is still (supposedly) in development of the 4870 GDDR5 for the new Alienware M17X, and the 4850 has finally made it into the AW M17, in Crossfre. The 4850 is also quite popular in the MSI GT725 and GT729. The 4860 (~desktop 4770) became vaporware when the 40nm yields hit the toilet.

The ASUS W90 has "4870s", but they lack the GDDR5 memory, thus are essentially 4850s with +50MHz on the core and memory.

Expect the mid-range 5XXX to appear in ASUS notebooks, sooner than people think.

Also

The mobile i7s are about to be released in Clevo and HP notebooks. The initial launch will be the i7-720QM, i7-820QM and i7-920XM, respectively clocked @ 1.6Ghz /1.73Ghz/2.0Ghz. The two lower end processor are 45w CPUs, while the 920XM is @ 55w.
They have been saying that for almost a year now, I dont think its going to happen. ;)

DennisK4 said:
Ha ha, performance looks googd if those benchmarks are indicative, but boy is that a laughably manipulative chart :lol
Marketing depts from both sides do this silly stuff. I think Nvidia's graphs start off at 90% or higher in one of their FUD campaigns..

rohlfinator said:
It's pretty crazy to see a $400, single-GPU card give the 295 such a good fight.

The 5850 looks like a decent value as well, although with a good price drop the 285 would take some of the edge off it. I'm still hoping I'll be able to pick up a 5850 around Christmas for $250 or so.
Honestly even with a price drop why would anyone go for a lower performance and lower DirectX compliance card ..

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
irfan said:
Honestly even with a price drop why would anyone go for a lower performance and lower DirectX compliance card ..
To save money?

It's not like there's a pressing need for DX11.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Zefah said:
I'm looking forward to the new Radeons as much as anyone, but damn if those aren't some manipulative graphs. It's funny how 200% is represented by a bar that is 5x higher than 100%.

Those results are damn impressive for the 5850, though.
That is correct, these results are impressive.

They would be more impressive if I knew wtf they meant tho.

What does 100% mean? That's 100% of the 295 performance? Because the 295 seems to be at 100% on all games. The 100% - 200% difference is awesome.

Also funny to see that the 5850 is worse than the 295 on, of all games, CoD4 (on Ultra High, at least)... :lol

Dance In My Blood said:
To save money?
While DX11 is better than DX10, I agree. There's really no reason to change RIGHT NOW. I remember a couple friends that wanted a DX10 card back when DX10 was being released, but they didn't want to spend much money, so they ended up with 8600 and 8500 series - the worst cards they could've spent they money on.

artist

Banned
Dance In My Blood said:
To save money?

Lets wait until there are significant price cuts on the 285 to start making such decisions. ;) :lol

dionysus

Yaldog
drizzle said:
While DX11 is better than DX10, I agree. There's really no reason to change RIGHT NOW. I remember a couple friends that wanted a DX10 card back when DX10 was being released, but they didn't want to spend much money, so they ended up with 8600 and 8500 series - the worst cards they could've spent they money on.

But ATI is releasing a full line-up of cards, not just an initial DX11 compliant card that will be soon outdated by better offerings.

The only reason I can currently see to purchase an Nvidia card considering the combined performance and value of the 48XX and 58XX is if you want to be an early adopter of 3D technology. I hope Nvidia can get their shit together. My 8800 was a blissful card.

irfan said:
Not that I would, but PhysX and 3D support would be an incentive for some people. The 285 still comes within ~90% of the 5850's power for a lot of those games, so I could see cases where someone would pick a 285 at (for example) $250 over a 5850 at $300 (or possibly more at launch).

The 5850 will still be a good value, but it's not as disruptive as it could have been. If it had launched at $250 (or $200, even), it would have forced Nvidia to do some significant price cuts across the board. As it is, it looks like it'll only pressure the 285/295. But I guess we haven't seen benches for their lower-end cards yet, and those could easily change the picture.

drizzle said:
What does 100% mean? That's 100% of the 295 performance? Because the 295 seems to be at 100% on all games. The 100% - 200% difference is awesome.
Yeah, it's just comparing framerates, but setting the 285/295 at 100% to make it easier to compare the two cards.

dionysus

Yaldog
rohlfinator said:
Not that I would, but PhysX and 3D support would be an incentive for some people.

Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't DX11 somehow make the physx bullet point moot? I'd actually like an explanation of that if that is true.

lowlylowlycook said:
I don't know what DX11 has to do with speaker volume. Hmmm.

Indeed. Corrected.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
In all seriousness though, I'm really thinking about picking up one of these @ launch. It should be good for 1080P with at least 2AA for most games for at least a couple of years(hopefully).

Dina said:
Fun is not to be had in your replies.
Why? :/

nib95

Banned
Personally a tad disappointed. The GTX295 still bests the 5870 in quite a few benches. In two of the main one's as well, including Crysis and COD4 (not that you need much more performance in COD4).

dionysus said:
Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't DX11 somehow make the physx bullet point mute? I'd actually like an explanation of that if that is true.

I don't know what DX11 has to do with speaker volume. Hmmm.

artist

Banned
rohlfinator said:
Not that I would, but PhysX and 3D support would be an incentive for some people. The 285 still comes within ~90% of the 5850's power for a lot of those games, so I could see cases where someone would pick a 285 at (for example) $250 over a 5850 at $300 (or possibly more at launch).

The 5850 will still be a good value, but it's not as disruptive as it could have been. If it had launched at $250 (or $200, even), it would have forced Nvidia to do some significant price cuts across the board. As it is, it looks like it'll only pressure the 285/295. But I guess we haven't seen benches for their lower-end cards yet, and those could easily change the picture.
Yes, PhysX (soon to be redundant thank you OpenCL/Compute Shader) and 3D (can be added via drivers) are the deal breakers.

nib95 said:
Personally a tad disappointed. The GTX295 still bests the 5870 in quite a few benches. In two of the main one's as well, including Crysis and COD4 (not that you need much more performance in COD4).
Launch drivers would probably mean there is still a lot of optimizations left to be done. Besides who would pick a dual gpu solution over single chip? Would you take one 285 or two 9800GTXs? Sigh.

Top Bottom