• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atlus announces "Persona Special Stage" for TGS 2015

Persona 3 Velvet, definitive edition, best on Vita with new P5 personas, with FeMC anime cutscenes, change 2D to 3D perspective on the fly, FES and P3P content and trophies. Also Persona 3 Dancing All Night, why the heck not. Come on Atlus give Vita fans a bone!

PERSONA 5 2015 BELIEVE

November 17th JPN
November 24th NA

That's my guess. My hope. Be able to kick back and play Persona and NMS ( believe ) and DQ Heroes while I await the arrival of maybe the first great Star Wars film since RotJ

MisterR

I'll never understand the state of mind where a publisher says something and people automatically assume they're lying without any kind of rationale.
In P5's case, it's even more ridiculous because they've repeatedly stated it would release in 2015.

Of course it could still shift, real life happens to projects, but I have no reason to believe Atlus PR had some kind of weird sinister scheme the last time they stated 2015. Them being truthful is incredibly more probable.

I can't wait until the NA date is finally announced so that every P5 thread isn't shit up with lol 2016 posts.

Ponn

Banned
I've already seen Christmas stuff in stores and have started seeing Christmas ads on television and I STILL can't preorder this game. My expectations are being kept in check.

Kazuhira

I'm so excited for the return of

UWCpi2G.jpg
Still remember the meltdowns in the chat when that woman showed up.

Mikey Jr.

It is happening, isnt it?

For Japan.

Atlus had the world watching the Sony conf, but they decided to put a trailer for the game behind the Japanese version of their dancing game.

Who3ver is marketing this is being really fucking stupid. They aren't even giving it a chance. This is going to be a stealth release in na if it releases in 2015.

Thats why I still don't think it's a 2015 release in na and that's why there has been no push. Atlus can't be this dumb to release it in 2015.

Mariip

Still remember the meltdowns in the chat when that woman showed up.
I kinda miss that 72 hour streaming, those days were insane.

But, really, I'm glad this time is just a stage event, I don't think I can handle another one of those
without a release date at the end

For Japan.

Atlus had the world watching the Sony conf, but they decided to put a trailer for the game behind the Japanese version of their dancing game.

Who3ver is marketing this is being really fucking stupid. They aren't even giving it a chance. This is going to be a stealth release in na if it releases in 2015.

Thats why I still don't think it's a 2015 release in na and that's why there has been no push. Atlus can't be this dumb to release it in 2015.

Why are people in this thread so worried about P5's marketing? Chill, it's going to come and you'll get to play the game.

I wish that P5 threads wouldn't be derailed into a marketing whining thread. Like who gives a fuck? P5 is coming.

So excited to find out if demons are actually back in P5 :)

Ponn

Banned
Why are people in this thread so worried about P5's marketing? Chill, it's going to come and you'll get to play the game.

I wish that P5 threads wouldn't be derailed into a marketing whining thread. Like who gives a fuck? P5 is coming.

Because people would kinda like to see a P6 eventually.

I really don't think Persona 5 is coming out in NA this year. I would love to be wrong, but it would definitely be odd to see it release this year in the west without any push from Atlus or Sega whatsoever over the last year.

Edit: Doing this from phone. Apologies.

I personally think it's interesting. P5's marketing so far has been unlike any other game that I can think of and I'm fascinated by the approach that Atlus has taken, especially when ypu take into consideration how games are generally marketed these days.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
I think it's more like P5 could become something much much bigger than P3 and P4 if Atlus were to market their games proper for once.

My prediction: Early November for Japan, Late December for NA, no European release date.

True Fire

It would be cool if they just dropped Persona 5 with no marketing like Beyonce's self-titled album. The free media exposure would probably earn more sales than traditional marketing would have.

I'm just not sure if Persona could get away with it. Especially since it has a physical release.

JCX

I personally think it's interesting. P5's marketing so far has been unlike any other game that I can think of and I'm fascinated by the approach that Atlus has taken, especially when ypu take into consideration how games are generally marketed these days.

Yeah, i'd buy it now without seeing another second of footage. Not giving away everything up front would let me experience it more on my own.

KTallguy

Banned
I'm buying it in Japanese anywayyyyyyyyy.

Still in the early parts of P3, hopefully I can kill that before P5 comes out.

4Tran

Persona 5 isn't the kind of game that is aiming for a mass audience that needs to be educated about what the game entails. Atlus is targeting an audience that is already receptive to the game so it doesn't need a lot of preliminary marketing. We can expect the marketing to ramp up after TGS.

Persona 5 isn't the kind of game that is aiming for a mass audience that needs to be educated about what the game entails. Atlus is targeting an audience that is already receptive to the game so it doesn't need a lot of preliminary marketing. We can expect the marketing to ramp up after TGS.

Why does that matter for a release this year? As I said before Atlus has a history of focusing on marketing one game at a time, and right now it's the dancing spinoff game, which still hasn't been released in the West, and DLC just wrapped up in Japan.

Just look at Fallout 4,the game was announced when it was basically 95% complete. No images, trailers, etc until recently and the game comes out this year. Why can't a similar situation be true for P5?
I have explained why this is a terrible comparison before, so I'll just do it one more time
I mean, I get what you're saying but still, think about the timelines.

Fallout 4
  1. Rumors and hoaxes for years.
  2. Game finally announced June 3, 2015. Announcements coincides with a meaty trailer that runs almost 3 minutes, full of interesting footage.
  3. 11 days later on June 14th, Fallout 4's release date is announced as November 10th. Roughly 5 months away.
  4. On the same stage that we get a release date for the game, we also get a stage show that runs almost 30 minutes. Pip-Boy edition is announced, Mobile game is shown and released, an official E3 trailer is shown as well.
  5. As usual for this sort of announcement, Fallout 4 became available for pre-order immediately following announcement.
Persona 5
  1. Game was first announced in November 24, 2013 with this weird, cryptic trailer.
  2. Announced as a Winter 2014 release.
  3. Date was later shifted to 2015 alongside the announcement of a PS4 version.
  4. At the same time we get the date shift, we get this trailer during the 2014 TGS festivities.
  5. First trailer was shown on February 5, 2015.
  6. P4D comes out on June 25, 2015 with a new trailer on a special Blu-Ray. Runs around 2 minutes.
  7. Special editions remain unannounced.
  8. Game is a little less than 4.5 months from release (assuming 12/31 as the last possible date) and remains unavailable to preorder.
  9. Also still lacks a release date.
Fallout 4 A) had a meaty 30 minute show, B) had a release date announced, C) can be preordered and D) hasn't strung people along for info for nearly 2 straight years. I get the comparison, but there's a big difference still.

Tell it to all the Yakuza and Ace Attorney fans.

Persona 4 Dancing All Night: (Vita spin off game)
Release date announced seven months in advance
Extensive character trailers released sporadically over a period of seven months
Pre-order campaign with limited editions for North America months prior to release
Present at every major event this year in demo or trailer form including E3

Persona 5: (Biggest game in Atlus' history)
Totally releasing in 2-3 months

The level of delusion in this thread is off the charts.

P5 has yet to release and you're worried about P6? There's people that have been waiting Since 2008 for the next installment in the franchise and then you forget P4 came out two years into the PS3's life span. Atlus just doesn't give a shit, they do their own thing.

Ponn

Banned

Yea I know people keep thinking and saying this and yea JRPG's are becoming a niche genre. I don't believe though its unrecoverable and by treating a big game like this if it does come out in 2015 in NA is just creating a self-fulfilling prophecy. Dark Souls, Bloodborne, Kingdom Hearts, those are Jrpg's that buck that trend by being unique games that brought something to the JRPG table. Persona 5 could very well be doing the same but *shrug* how the hell is anyone supposed to know. On top of that if they do drop it in 2015 they are dropping it right in the middle of a maelstrom of top tier game releases that even Jrpg players are going to have other games competing for time and money. I have Fallout 4 preordered, its going to take up ALOT of my time so why not wait for a price drop on Persona 5. You have Mario Maker, Battlefront, the usual annual titles, etc etc and we are just talking about getting the targeted audience to buy it, nothing about growing the audience or getting people to give it a chance. Japan, yea this will be an instant seller. US audience? Without any pre-release marketing hype or preorder campaign it probably would be better if it did release later in a less crowded month.

Lunar15

Extensive character trailers released sporadically over a period of seven months
Pre-order campaign with limited editions for North America months prior to release

I won't lie and say that it's not weird, but there's always the thought that P4D is a niche with in a niche: It needs mass marketing to get beyond the fanbase.

P5, however, doesn't really. It's pretty much the only JRPG releasing on a console in Q4.

It looks to me like you're mixing up the Japanese and North American marketing for DAN. The Japanese release date was announced in February, while the North American one wasn't announced until late July. So rather than 7 months, you're looking at 4 for Japan, and 3 for NA.

4Tran

Tell it to all the Yakuza and Ace Attorney fans.
Yakuza and Ace Attorney have seen their releases get increasingly lower sales, but the Persona is a lot stronger than ever before.

The point is that Dancing All Night is a different product than standard Persona games so a lot of marketing is required to sell both Persona and rhythm fans on the game. Persona 5 is a mainline game so it enjoys a lot of early buy-in already.

Yea I know people keep thinking and saying this and yea JRPG's are becoming a niche genre. I don't believe though its unrecoverable and by treating a big game like this if it does come out in 2015 in NA is just creating a self-fulfilling prophecy. Dark Souls, Bloodborne, Kingdom Hearts, those are Jrpg's that buck that trend by being unique games that brought something to the JRPG table. Persona 5 could very well be doing the same but *shrug* how the hell is anyone supposed to know. On top of that if they do drop it in 2015 they are dropping it right in the middle of a maelstrom of top tier game releases that even Jrpg players are going to have other games competing for time and money. I have Fallout 4 preordered, its going to take up ALOT of my time so why not wait for a price drop on Persona 5. You have Mario Maker, Battlefront, the usual annual titles, etc etc and we are just talking about getting the targeted audience to buy it, nothing about growing the audience or getting people to give it a chance. Japan, yea this will be an instant seller. US audience? Without any pre-release marketing hype or preorder campaign it probably would be better if it did release later in a less crowded month.
If I had my way, I would have given Persona 5 more exposure, but looking at Atlus' perspective it's clear why they've taken an alternate approach. Their primary market is still Japan, and Atlus has built up the Persona brand to untold heights. They can save up their marketing dollars and start ramping up at TGS and build to a crescendo for the release. It's a strategy designed to maximize exposure while minimizing the budget.

Top Bottom