• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atlus announces Shin Sekaiju no Meikyuu (New Etrian Odyssey)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
The stories in the EO games aren't connected in any way afaik. I skipped out on EO2 and EO3 myself, so I'm not certain, but I finished EO1 and started playing EO4 recently, and it doesn't even seem like the same world. Just similar themes and gameplay, but the stories seem to stand alone.

Ok cool. Did you like EO4 better than EO1 yourself, should I buy it or wait for this one? I don't know how the announced extras could impact/improve on the gameplay of the series, if there's eomething new or hat sounds interesting in there, so you might have a better grasp than me if it sounds better than what EO4 offers and you could chime in telling me if you liked EO1 better than EO4 as far as its world and setting (or viceversa).

Man God

Non-Canon Member
EO 1 is more solitary and haunting. EO IV (and III before it) has a much better interface and tries to have an actual regular old plot instead of one you sort of piece together like EO 1 and 2.

Anteo

Ok cool. Did you like EO4 better than EO1 yourself, should I buy it or wait for this one? I don't know how the announced extras could impact/improve on the gameplay of the series, if there's eomething new or hat sounds interesting in there, so you might have a better grasp than me if it sounds better than what EO4 offers and you could chime in telling me if you liked EO1 better than EO4 as far as its world and setting (or viceversa).

This new Etrian is a big change from EO4, starting by having premade characters and a more concrete plot (though the gameplay looks the same, still I want to see a screenshoot of that bottom screen). So it depends on what type of game you want to play, the new kind of etrian, or the one that the fans know and love.

duckroll

Ok cool. Did you like EO4 better than EO1 yourself, should I buy it or wait for this one? I don't know how the announced extras imoact the gameplay of the series, so you might have a better grasp than me if it sounds better than what EO4 offers and you could chime in telling me if you liked EO1 better than EO4 world and setting (or viceversa).

I think EO1 is pretty damn hard to top in terms of personal experience. But most of it is due to the fact that before EO1 there was no EO. There were no hardcore dungeon crawlers on a portable system with actual touchscreen mapping. It was pretty magical. The story was also really interesting because it was totally in the background most of the time, but when things did develop, they were nice surprises and twists which made everything more interesting.

But don't take that as a recommendation to go get EO1 over any other EO game. I don't think that experience can be replicated today, and the newer EOs have much better interface, graphics, controls, etc. :p

Marche90

Honestly, this sounds like the exact thing I needed to get into EO!

I'm not hardcore dungeon crawler fan, but I do like them from time to time. Thing is, most of the time my motivation to keep going comes from the story, which is almost non-existant in EO. Having to create my own characters sucks for me too, since I never know what to do with them.

This will essentially eliminate all my problems althogether! Will keep an eye on this :D

EO 1 is more solitary and haunting. EO IV (and III before it) has a much better interface and tries to have an actual regular old plot instead of one you sort of piece together like EO 1 and 2.

Yeah, one thing EO1 did that none of the other EOs really matched was that after a certain point you felt that you were literally the only ones who had ever gone that deep into the Labyrinth and you basically alone against whatever unknown dangers came up against you.

scy

Thing is, most of the time my motivation to keep going comes from the story, which is almost non-existant in EO.

There's a decent amount of story in the games. The thing is, it's just not a character-driven story. It's more a scenario that you're a part of.

Having to create my own characters sucks for me too, since I never know what to do with them.

You still do the skill trees here and classes can still be changed. It's really more that the characters you have now have a set personality.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Yeah, one thing EO1 did that none of the other EOs really matched was that after a certain point you felt that you were literally the only ones who had ever gone that deep into the Labyrinth and you basically alone against whatever unknown dangers came up against you.

EO 2 comes close but then you'll get a quest that's all "Yeah we've seemingly been here a million times before, go get that nugget or whatever on floor 15."

Sandfox

Well this new game certainly seems interesting enough to try and it would be cool if they remade all of the games this way while still working on the main series.

duckroll

Looooooooooooool. The English text below the logo reads:

When calamity covers the city of Etria and the people cry in deep despair,
A maiden crosses over a millennium and restores hope.

Yes, that's just what EO1's story needed. Time travel! Awesome! Thanks Atlus! :D

Yes, that's just what EO1's story needed. Time travel! Awesome! Thanks Atlus! :D

Wasnt the first EO kinda about time travel? Not literally, but in the last dungeon you noticed, that millenia passed since "our generation".
I guess they can just make something up in the last dungeon that someone traveled through time for the help of the adventurers or something like that.

duckroll

Wasnt the first EO kinda about time travel? Not literally, but in the last dungeon you noticed, that millenia passed since "our generation".
I guess they can just make something up in the last dungeon that someone traveled through time for the help of the adventurers or something like that.

Post-apocalyptic and time travel are two completely different things. :p

Sandfox

Time travel could potentially be pretty good if the level of writing in the game is good and not FFXIII-2 levels of bad.

So if I wanted to try the series, this one would be the right one to start with or EO4 is a better starting point?
Would I miss some part of a story with 4? I'd prefer ditching the NDS games now that the series moved to 3DS and we might be remakes for the original trilogy.
I'm wondering the same thing. It seems like these games are very light on story, so would it be fine to just jump in on 4 and not miss anything?

Zeldana

Neo Member
Here I thought I'd have time to catch up on the two EOs I didn't play (I&II), now I'm kind of at a loss since I already own 1 but want to work semi-backwards by playing through 2 first. What to do...

Well, I can't complain, more EO is never a bad thing and Amazon currently has reprints of the original trilogy so I'll pick up EOII somewhere down the line. :D Bring on the remake; I'll get around to playing them all... eventually.

It took them so long to implement a more fleshed out story. I think this is a experiment to see how it would do maybe for future EO games. I hope they use EO4's engine and not just port it.

Azure J

I mean it's Etrian Odyssey and by that virtue alone I'm curious (still need to grab 4), but this is indeed a wat.son moment here.

scy

Other than difficulty, how different is EO1 to 4? Specifically the class/skill system?

A lot of small tweaks here-and-there for general usability and flow of gameplay (e.g., Battle Speed, side-stepping, interface in general). A lot of mechanics differences, with notable things like Retirement functioning differently (Stat bonus based off the class retired), Resting costing way more (10 Levels), and the Skill system being ... awkward (the Anti Elements get worse with more than 5 points*; skills were fairly inconsistent in their growths**).

There's a few other things like bland encounters (I honestly can't tell you what most the bosses did beyond "They hit you.") and the least forgiving dungeon. Many of the classes aren't that great (sorry Ronin, Hexer) and status effects/binds in general are pretty hard to use (sorry DH).

*Technically, they still improve. It goes Damage Reduction (1-4) - Immunity (5) - Absorb (6-10). The problem being that the Dragon breaths did Damage AND something else. 5 would stop everything they did while every other rank would not. Not even the Absorb ones.

**For instance, here's a few random skills:

Code:
0x87: Fire    _______________ Lv5 _______________ L10 --- _______________ L15
 TPCost (01):   4   4   5   5   6   6   6   6   6   6 ---   0   0   0   0   0
 BaseAt (15):  10  10  10  10  10  10  10  10  10  10 ---  10  10  10  10  10
 Power  (02):  80  85  90 100 105 110 115 120 125 130 --- 135 140 145 150 155
 Acc    (04): 200 200 200 200 200 200 200 200 200 200 --- 200 200 200 200 200
 Speed  (03):  60  60  60  60  60  60  60  60  60  60 ---  80  80  80  80  80

Code:
0x25: Apollon _______________ Lv5 _______________ L10 --- _______________ L15
 TPCost (01):   8   9  10  11  12  12  12  12  12  12 ---   0   0   0   0   0
 Power  (02): 300 310 320 330 390 400 410 420 430 500 --- 510 520 530 540 620
 Speed  (03):  20  20  20  20  20  20  20  20  20  20 ---  40  40  40  40  40
 AilChc (12):   0   0   0   0  10  15  20  25  30  40 ---  45  50  55  60  75
 Acc    (04): 200 200 200 200 200 200 200 200 200 200 --- 200 200 200 200 200

Code:
0x16: HP Up   _______________ Lv5 _______________ L10 --- _______________ L15
 HP Up  (32): 110 112 114 116 128 130 132 134 136 150 --- 160 170 180 190 200

On the bright side, we have this information so you can make these better choices so there's that ... I guess. But, for instance, Fire/Ice/Volt and many damage skills have that pretty basic +X% per point that never changes. Then you have many skills like Apollon which have small increments per point and then suddenly gets a massive spike at Level 5/10/15. And then all the Passives are pretty much the same thing with the 1/5/10 spikes.

This sounds awesome, a little surprised to see some negative reactions. Sounds like they might keep the original format for numbered games and release shin1-2-3 to entice a more casual audience.

Considering EO1 by far and away had the best story and setting, this is great.

Wonder if they'll go with original music, or just remake the first game's tracks....

B.K.

I'm looking forward to it. I've spent about 15 hours on 4 so far and I don't really like it as much as I did the first game.

Tiktaalik

I wanted Dark Spire 2.

O8qeprN.gif

Considering EO1 by far and away had the best story and setting, this is great.

Wonder if they'll go with original music, or just remake the first game's tracks....
EO1's FOE theme is synonymous with the series; if they got rid of that people would probably riot.

also I would have totally gotten an ARPG reboot of EO1 just throwing that out there

Tiktaalik

I think this is a good move for the Etrian Odyssey franchise from a biz dev point of view, but there's some risk in that it may not be an exciting enough difference for old fans to bother to buy this new version.

If the timeframe wasn't so soon I'd almost believe that this reboot was going to have a tie in anime with it. EO1's story in particular would work well if fleshed out a bit.

Maybe it'll get really popular like Persona 4 and Devil Survivor 2 and get an anime adaptation a couple of years later.

Hmmm... I saw the logo for the game. It's completely different from the normal games. I guess they're really trying to differentiate it. Here's what it looks like from the ad spread in Famitsu:

VFNtKoM.jpg

I don't know if it's because of the green crystal in front of the rest of the title, but it is reminding me of some game or anime, but a specific title isn't coming to mind.

Eusis

To be fair (and this is actually I guess I had from the moment they went SHE HAS AMNESIA) I think there's another, possibly more likely possibility:
she was either in stasis for a thousand years, or is connected to the Yggdrasil system much like the Guildmaster is. Which I guess either sets it for a tragic sacrifice or turning the original bittersweet ending into a happy one.

Though this may not be too much of an improvement anyway, especially if they run with that last part. It'd scream Mary Sue.

This sounds like a REAL remake, making it have a pre-made party with a lot of story basically changes the WHOLE game

I'm in for this if we still get games like EO4, both games can exist... and knowing Atlus, I won't be disappointed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom