• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atlus announces Studio Zero - Hashino and Soejima on brand new Fantasy RPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
The more I think about this, the more unhappy I am they are going in this direction. And I'm not even a big Persona, but P5 is my GoTY 2016. Feel bittersweet now, like when Kaneko stepped off the stage, Suda51 stopped directing, and Team Silent stopped making Silent Hill :(

Hashino isn't being poached by another company. The Persona team is still there and it's own thing, P-Studios isn't being dissolved.

Nothing about what made Persona 5 is leaving the company. At least not in regards to this announcement.

raven777

The more I think about this, the more unhappy I am they are going in this direction. And I'm not even a big Persona, but P5 is my GoTY 2016. Feel bittersweet now, like when Kaneko stepped off the stage, Suda51 stopped directing, and Team Silent stopped making Silent Hill :(

It's not like Hashino will not make any more Persona games. Next Persona games will probably be P5 Crimson or whatever name they use, and countless spinoffs of P5. He can still supervise and work on those titles at the same time.

Aeana

This will happen, but this is the best team currently at Atlus and Hashino is the best director and he gets Megaten so much that I want him on Megaten.

It's going to be okay, Bebpo. It's not like he's never going to make another Persona or Megaten game.

duckroll

I actually hope he doesn't. Because I think the SMT/Persona format and the popularity of the brand for Atlus actually holds him back.

Zolo

All indications to me point to this actually being one of their more higher-budget console games rather than a mobile or handheld game. Interested to see where this goes. Hopefully, it comes out before Cyberpunk.

I actually hope he doesn't. Because I think the SMT/Persona format and the popularity of the brand for Atlus actually holds him back.
There was apparently talk of one of the original concepts of P5 being a backpacking story around the world. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if that concept would have been scrapped even without wanting to reel the focus back on Japan after the 2011 earthquake/tsunami.

A new IP definitely helps in getting some more creative freedom and not stagnating from working on the same thing. The latter's personally why I figure a lot of staff start to leave the Mass Effect/Dragon Age teams.

Guess Who

Banned
All you guys panicking that this means no more Persona from Hashino and Soejima realize they also made Catherine between P4 and P5, right?

They spent nearly half a decade on P5. They can take some time off to do another kind of project, too.

Yep, they're on the verge of being the next "Big" thing, just put your best minds on a good team and let them do what they want. Don't be trapped by your current branding and brand audience to prevent you from branching out creatively.

The market is open for more high quality JRPG's. Take a break from the Persona brand for a while, refresh your image, put more product out and get more mindshare.

All you guys panicking that this means no more Persona from Hashino and Soejima realize they also made Catherine between P4 and P5, right?

Yes. Catherine was their experimental test to see if the team could make an HD game, though.

And they could probably have made so much more after that if they didn't have to work on P5.

Let's not ignore that they had to build their own engine, rebuild all the demon assets from scratch on said new engine, their old parent company went bankrupt, etc, etc..

FluxWaveZ

To be fair, though, that was still P Studio. If Hashino is becoming top dog of Studio Zero, it'd naturally mean less time for P Studio. We'll see how that manifests moving forward.

Villori

Neo Member
Soejima and Hashino? No matter what they are planning on doing, I'm in, these guys have my full support on whatever they do.

Damn, I love Atlus so much...

It's not like Atlus is so utterly bereft of creatives they could get or poach from someone to put on P Studios to direct a new game, either. There is plenty of talent.

Guess Who

Banned
To be fair, though, that was still P Studio. If Hashino is becoming top dog of Studio Zero, it'd naturally mean less time for P Studio. We'll see how that manifests moving forward.

"P Studio" didn't really formally exist at the time, though. I suspect corporate and team structures at Atlus are a lot more fluid than that implies, as it is at most big developers.

No. No it isn't.
It's a spiritual successor to Hoshigami, which you may or may not have heard of. (Note that the names mean the same thing in their respective languages: star god)

Ah. Yeah, I've heard of Hoshigami. I never played it, but a friend of mine at the time talked about it all the time.

I mean, the guy directed stone cold classic SMT:Nocturne, which is VEHEMENTLY different than P4 in tone and form. Man has range. Man has talent. I have hype.

I hope the opposite.

I'm tired of the twists and shit, I just want a neat story told with these guys behind it.

I mean the 2 aren't mutually exclusive. There could be some sort twist with the setting and still have a good story.

And by twist I don't mean plot twist but I mean the setting not being straight fantasy.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member

Lol, Persona 5 is actually so meta. Hashino breaking his own chains to free himself to work on something else.

"Do you want emancipation?"

Gematsu translated Hashino's message from the website

25 years ago, the Atlus RPG uttered its first cry. Speaking of RPGs in those days, the stories in so-called “fantasy” worlds were mainstream. The Shin Megami Tensei series was released as an “opposition” to such a “common” world view, and the Persona series was released as its spin-off. Both series, even today in their latest entries, have always been made with the concept that it will be a counter to the times. And now, in addition to continuing the titles within those series, what will our approach to a new RPG be? That is, to challenge the norms of the genre gamers have been consuming for decades. The challenge is about to begin. We would be happy if you would stand by for the moment we began from Zero and the moment we began our challenge from zero.

http://gematsu.com/2016/12/atlus-announce-brand-new-fantasy-rpg-project-december-23

Bebpo

Banned
It's going to be okay, Bebpo. It's not like he's never going to make another Persona or Megaten game.

Yeah, but 8 years was a looooong wait for a new Hashino directed Megaten. Now if he spends 2-3 years on this and then 2-3 years on another megaten, it's going to be another looooong wait for a new Hashino directed Megaten :(

I mean, yeah silver lining is that the Devil Survivor team is great and also gets Megaten and they'll do some top-notch Megaten game most likely.

But Hashino games have a specific unique style to them and I'm gonna miss that for a while :\ Plus I'm not the biggest fan of non-megaten Atlus games. It's heresy and all but I don't really like EO, Trauma Center that much and Stella Deus had a great story but gameplay was just ok. I feel like nobody makes well written dark adult games anymore, so megaten is the only place I get those and now it's one less great director and probably team making them. Bummer :(

They spent nearly half a decade on P5. They can take some time off to do another kind of project, too.

I count Catherine as Megaten. I mean it's about demons and done in the same style. I'd be fine with a Catherine 2 actually :p I'd just prefer they make something in that style. Fantasy setting is so boring and overdone in rpgs.

I mean the 2 aren't mutually exclusive. There could be some sort twist with the setting and still have a good story.

And by twist I don't mean plot twist but I mean the setting not being straight fantasy.

Yeah I know I mean I don't need the setting to be in some VR machine or "It's actually 500000 years in the future".

Just tell a good fantasy story, imo.

Generic fantasy that turns into surprise dark fantasy half-way through with a Berserk-like move (though Berserk was never generic fantasy).

That was never a real surprise though. The Black Swordsman Arc blatantly puts Berserk into Dark Fantasy from the start. What was the surprise was how it got there.

I do wonder what sort of fantasy they're going to do for this game since there are so many directions. I think I'd want high fantasy. It'd be neat to see a Hashino take on that.

duckroll

I mean, the guy directed stone cold classic SMT:Nocturne, which is VEHEMENTLY different than P4 in tone and form. Man has range. Man has talent. I have hype.

Yeah, he has tons of range and a ton he wants to say in his games. I think he's being held back by the expectations of Persona these days. The franchise has blown up in Japan, and there's no way it can escape from the formula that they have established. People expect a party of stereotypes, a calendar system, social links, school life stuff mixed with dungeon crawling, etc.

The format is established, it works, let other people write and direct that stuff.

Yeah, he has tons of range and a ton he wants to say in his games. I think he's being held back by the expectations of Persona these days. The franchise has blown up in Japan, and there's no way it can escape from the formula that they have established. People expect a party of stereotypes, a calendar system, social links, school life stuff mixed with dungeon crawling, etc.

The format is established, it works, let other people write and direct that stuff.

Also why I don't think him leaving it is a deathknell.

You can get a reasonably talented director that's not quite Hashino's caliber and still crank out Persona shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom