• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atlus USA bringing Dungeon Travelers 2 to North America this summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kieli

Can't seem to find game play video other than dialogue scenes emphasizing fan service. Looks interesting, but if this is just nice art with fan service covering up tons of random battle boring fights that usually act as filler in other RPGs, ehh no thanks,

The trailer didn't have a single second of gameplay in it.

AtlusUSA, pleaseeeeee.

Uthred

I'm not talking about fanservice at all, just about their games being mediocre. When was the last non-Atlus game they localized that had people going 'wow, I was really looking forward to this!' and not 'it's Atlus, sold'?

The last one I can think of was probably The Dark Spire or Eternal Poison, excluding the Sting games, which were basically second party in my book.

You mean other than the people saying "Wow I was really looking forward to this" in this very thread?

Doesn't it bother you when people see creepy content that the kneejerk reaction is 'lol Japan'? It didn't used to be that way.

Why would it bother anyone? An ignorant uninformed kneejerk reaction should be treated the same way regardless of subject matter i.e. ignored

I wonder if this AquaPlus partnership means we'll get Utawarerumono 2 in the future! It might be a bit too text heavy if we go by the first game though.

The amount of text shouldn't be an issue, given that Tears to Tiara 2 is basically a visual novel with gameplay and has about 30+ hours of text and Atlus localized it.

cj_iwakura

I'm not seeing what you're trying to say. Are you saying a game can't be good unless it has amazing graphics?

Graphics are one thing, aesthetics another. The game has no style. It just seems bland.

You mean other than the people saying "Wow I was really looking forward to this" in this very thread?

If you look up the first announcements about this game, it was getting attention for all the wrong reasons. Or maybe exactly what the devs wanted, I guess.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
The amount of text shouldn't be an issue, given that Tears to Tiara 2 is basically a visual novel with gameplay and has about 30+ hours of text and Atlus localized it.

Oh right looking at Tears to Tiara 1 PS3 I probably should have expected that. I should pick up TtT2 sometime since it seems much better than the remake of 1. (gameplay-wise)

Ventara

What's with the people shitting on this game already based on looks? lol Are you guys the same people who obnoxiously tell people at game stores what they should buy and mock them for their gaming tastes?

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Can't seem to find game play video other than dialogue scenes emphasizing fan service. Looks interesting, but if this is just nice art with fan service covering up tons of random battle boring fights that usually act as filler in other RPGs, ehh no thanks,

The trailer didn't have a single second of gameplay in it.

AtlusUSA, pleaseeeeee.

Not my footage but taken from the Japanese demo and recorded by someone else.

Also since it does contain some event scenes do consider it NSFW keep that in mind when viewing. Part 1-4 below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WBG09-pFgs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9pv-Ew0Z6Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vp7z_mPeMSo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77_p1yVlEHg

All of the above comes from literally the starting point in the game, so those of you who want to keep the experience fresh would suggest not watching it. Otherwise its a good indication of gameflow. Also to answer the question you start off with only 2 party members and from there will gradually fill your ranks with more characters as you progress in the story.

As stated before the game is a very well crafted DRPG that has a ton of content in it. So the main deciding point which can be a positive / negative and most def will turn a lot of folks away at the same time would be the fanservice.

Wow what the hell, honestly didn't expect this one to make it over. Then again I find myself saying that with most Vita localisations these days! Even better than NISA's picked it up for a Euro release~

Hubb

Then it shouldn't need to pander to sell.

It shouldn't be a problem if that is what they wanted to do. And pander is the a bad word choice here. Every game panders, they just pander to different things.

If you don't like it that is fine, seems plenty of other people do.

Takao

Banned
I'm not talking about fanservice at all, just about their games being mediocre. When was the last non-Atlus game they localized that had people going 'wow, I was really looking forward to this!' and not 'it's Atlus, sold'?

The last one I can think of was probably The Dark Spire or Eternal Poison, excluding the Sting games, which were basically second party in my book.

amusingly, dungeon travelers is developed by sting
guess this is what happens when atlus isn't interested in funding department heaven anymore

Uthred

If you look up the first announcements about this game, it was getting attention for all the wrong reasons. Or maybe exactly what the devs wanted, I guess.

I think youve now moved the goalposts so far theyve gone in a full circle, at first it wasnt that you were complaining about fanservice it was about quality, then it wasnt about quality it was that people werent excited about them, now its that people arent excited about them for the right reasons, which brings us back to fanservice. And apparently an uncanny ability to tell what people REALLY mean, heres the first few responses from the thread

OH GOD YESSSSSS
I'm really happy about this, Dungeon RPGs are niche as hell but they seem to be selling well enough in the west.

Parakeetman hyped me so much about this game, lol.

hell yeahh, subbed too

EU not even mentioned. Atlus pls. I'll probably just import it.

EDIT: NISA will bring it this fall. nice

YEEEEEEE- oh Atlus...

Never mind. Not like I wanted this game anyway.

Edit: Wait no, I'm an idiot. This is a Vita game. I can import this. Yay at least, I shouldn't need to...

First Vita-exclusive Atlus USA brings that's not from Atlus JP and it's a DRPG. GIVE IT TO ME NOW.

And Day 1 confirmed

OH MY GOD OH MY GOD HOLY SHIT YES, today we had a new console star ocean announced a new taiko game on a region free console and a localization of dungeon travelers 2.... i-is it christmas ^_^

Summer? Hopefully not too close to operation abyss or i'll have trouble choosing which to play.

Love that this is coming over though

I mean they either just say theyre excited specifically as its a DRPG or they simply say theyre excited. How should they have phrased it so we'd know it was for the right reasons?

Then what on earth is out there that Atlus isn't localizing that they would actually/can do.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
These aren't exactly great games even without the fan service. That's all they have to get people's attention.
I'm going to eject from this thread early because of the direction it's heading but I'm going to say DT2 is hands down the most polished and fun DRPG I've played in the last few years. You have every right to your views on fan service and you may not be the target audience but the game itself is absolutely excellent and I encourage any DRPG fan to give it a go if fan service isn't a problem for you.

cj_iwakura

I think youve now moved the goalposts so far theyve gone in a full circle, at first it wasnt that you were complaining about fanservice it was about quality, then it wasnt about quality it was that people werent excited about them, now its that people arent excited about them for the right reasons, which brings us back to fanservice. And apparently an uncanny ability to tell what people REALLY mean, heres the first few responses from the thread

I recall the media blitz when the game itself first got announced. NSFW would be an understatement.

Maybe that's just not the kind of announcement I get excited for.

Atlus USA are (wisely) dancing around it, but that's the kind of project they signed up for.

Then what on earth is out there that Atlus isn't localizing that they would actually/can do.

Why not a genuinely good visual novel people have been clamoring for? Umineko? Realta/Nua?

Hell, there's countless PSP games they could work on. Hasn't stopped XSeed or Gaijinworks.

And there was also that bit about how a good game Atlus localized wasn't good because he didn't like the visual style based off a screenshot.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Is this a good DRPG to get into for your first? I'm somewhat familiar with AquaPlus/Leaf's stuff so I think I can edge into this a bit more easily than others.

Parakeetman

Is this a good DRPG to get into for your first? I'm somewhat familiar with AquaPlus/Leaf's stuff so I think I can edge into this a bit more easily than others.

If you do not mind the fanservice stuff, then yes it should be ok. Plus since it is story / character driven should help you keep your interest in the game itself vs titles where the "dungeon crawl" itself is the main part with a very thin story / hardly any character interaction.

The game mechanics too are quite well made, though the amount of skills you will have to choose and pick from might be a little overwhelming at start. But Id imagine here at GAF should have a small little community to help each other out with that as people advance in the game.

Uthred

The game mechanics too are quite well made, though the amount of skills you will have to choose and pick from might be a little overwhelming at start. But Id imagine here at GAF should have a small little community to help each other out with that as people advance in the game.

Out of interest how easy is it to fuck up a character by picking the wrong/sub-optimal skills?

I recall the media blitz when the game itself first got announced. NSFW would be an understatement.

Maybe that's just not the kind of announcement I get excited for.

Atlus USA are (wisely) dancing around it, but that's the kind of project they signed up for.

There go those goalposts again, you were specifically complaining about people not being excited about localised games, what does the original Japanese launch have to do with people being excited for localised games? If you dont like Atlus's recent localisation efforts thats obviously fine, but why not just say it as opposed to dancing around it by talking about how "No-ones excited" (in the face of explicitly contradictory evidence) or "theyre excited for the wrong reason" (again in the face of explicitly contradictory evidence)

Parakeetman

Out of interest how easy is it to fuck up a character by picking the wrong/sub-optimal skills?

It can happen... Esp if you go one way with your initial job then go another when you switch jobs.

Since jobs have equipment restrictions and that changes when you change them into a different class. Though its more just putting points into skills that are not as useful as you thought it may be rather than totally killing the class.

Id have to break out my guide book to give you some exact examples. Will go look for it now. Hmm shit sorry dont have it out currently, must be boxed up somewhere.

What is this fan-service y'all are talking about? And why would catering to what fans want is a bad thing? I remember when Reverge Labs took in fan requests. It was pretty dope!

Why not a genuinely good visual novel people have been clamoring for? Umineko? Realta/Nua?

Hell, there's countless PSP games they could work on. Hasn't stopped XSeed or Gaijinworks.

Umineko? PC, Mobile, Playstation 3, PSP
FSN? Kadokawa published, that's basically NISA's territory now

PSP games? When they couldn't even get their own parent company to publish the second Persona 2 game?

At least try and list something they could possibly do.

Seda

Okay, I'm going to nip the off-topic/meta-discussion in the bud here before it gets worse.

If you aren't interested in this game, don't post in here just to complain.

Thanks.

Uthred

It can happen... Esp if you go one way with your initial job then go another when you switch jobs.

Since jobs have equipment restrictions and that changes when you change them into a different class.

Id have to break out my guide book to give you some exact examples. Will go look for it now. Hmm shit sorry dont have it out currently, must be boxed up somewhere.

No thats fine, thanks I was just interested as Im sort of torn on stuff like this, on the one hand I like that decisions matter as it makes optimisation fun, on the other hand messing up can be annoying ;)

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
If you do not mind the fanservice stuff, then yes it should be ok. Plus since it is story / character driven should help you keep your interest in the game itself vs titles where the "dungeon crawl" itself is the main part with a very thin story / hardly any character interaction.

As long as it isn't plastered all over the place to absurdity I'm completely fine with fan-service. The more fleshed out story part would probably make it hold my interest more too since I've heard these types of games are usually barren there.

Parakeetman

No thats fine, thanks I was just interested as Im sort of torn on stuff like this, on the one hand I like that decisions matter as it makes optimisation fun, on the other hand messing up can be annoying ;)

Whats nice too is the game actually give the player a fair number of characters who are based off of the same starting class so you can switch them around too. Its not like you will be stuck to a single character for the base job. So you can have one fighter become the dark lord and the other become the samurai or valkyrie.

Trust me I messed up my fighter when I found out what the actual percentage increases are for some of the skills lol. Dear god so many points used too. D:

Parakeetman

As long as it isn't plastered all over the place to absurdity I'm completely fine with fan-service. The more fleshed out story part would probably make it hold my interest more too since I've heard these types of games are usually barren there.

The characters are really well done and would like to imagine you will enjoy the dialog and such. There is some other good self aware comedy in the game too that others should find highly amusing. Also the "tutorial" dialog with Maid-Sensei's classes are hilarious. Am sure she will become a fan favorite also.

Will definitely get this. I'm glad both DRPGs and rhythm game genres are coming back and this seems to be a good addition to my list. I'm not feeling Lost Dimensions so I will go for this.

I should stop reading import OTs, they are bad for my wallet.

isitstill

I hate trailers like this. If you're advertising a video game, show a video game, not a series of drawings.

I love first-person dungeon crawlers, but this trailer didn't convince me at all.

edit: I just watched the demo playthrough. Ouch. Now I know why they didn't show any gameplay. That looks really, really, cheap.

I wish the Vita would get an Etrian Odyssey caliber dungeon crawler :/

Parakeetman

The game is already out in Japan, you can search for gameplay easily.

That or look closer to the top of the page as threw in 4 videos of the demo playthrough. lol

I hate trailers like this. If you're advertising a video game, show a video game, not a series of drawings.

I love first-person dungeon crawlers, but this trailer didn't convince me at all.

Not my footage but taken from the Japanese demo and recorded by someone else.

Also since it does contain some event scenes do consider it NSFW keep that in mind when viewing. Part 1-4 below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WBG09-pFgs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9pv-Ew0Z6Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vp7z_mPeMSo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77_p1yVlEHg

All of the above comes from literally the starting point in the game, so those of you who want to keep the experience fresh would suggest not watching it. Otherwise its a good indication of gameflow. Also to answer the question you start off with only 2 party members and from there will gradually fill your ranks with more characters as you progress in the story.

As stated before the game is a very well crafted DRPG that has a ton of content in it. So the main deciding point which can be a positive / negative and most def will turn a lot of folks away at the same time would be the fanservice.

Had posted this before same page. OP might want to include these 4 vids into the first post even if its the JP version demo.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
The characters are really well done and would like to imagine you will enjoy the dialog and such. There is some other good self aware comedy in the game too that others should find highly amusing. Also the "tutorial" dialog with Maid-Sensei's classes are hilarious. Am sure she will become a fan favorite also.

Well if the humor is in vein of ComiPa I think things will be good for me and I don't remember anything off putting from other AP/Leaf games to dissuade me.

Parakeetman

Also heres an image of what one example of the class tree for a character looks like. Leaving it in link format as some people might want to experience what the new change in art looks like first hand than seeing an image showing everything off at the start.

http://i.imgur.com/bdOJ3uR.jpg

It is a good point though. Trailer would be better served with actual gameplay in it. This isn't a teaser trailer where gameplay might not be 100% ready to be shown.

I dont even think Japan had a good trailer lol. Yeah no it didnt the vita ver was limited to the niconico player so for the import OT I had to use the fucking PSP version trailer that was on youtube... D:

That doesn't help the average person, though. Atlus did this with Lost Dimension too, if memory serves.

Oh I agree, I want gameplay in my trailers, I'm just saying that there's an alternative.

But I kinda get why they don't show a trailer, DRPGs are difficult to sell, before playing Etrian Odyssey, pretty much my favorite series these days, I thought they looked like crap haha.

cj_iwakura

Oh I agree, I want gameplay in my trailers, I'm just saying that there's an alternative.

But I kinda get why they don't show a trailer, DRPGs are difficult to sell, before playing Etrian Odyssey, pretty much my favorite series these days, I thought they looked like crap haha.

I think it even happened with Growlanser IV's trailer, legitimately one of the best SRPGs ever.

"Look at all this shiny art!"

Parakeetman

That doesn't help the average person, though. Atlus did this with Lost Dimension too, if memory serves.

The problem is they will have to do up a new trailer themselves. Since even in Japan jesus we were stuck with a shitty niconico player only trailer... D: Which basically is what was linked here. Outside of that have not seen anything else.

But they did release a demo though, so guess that was their "solution" lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom