• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atlus USA bringing Dungeon Travelers 2 to North America this summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

cj_iwakura

The problem is they will have to do up a new trailer themselves. Since even in Japan jesus we were stuck with a shitty niconico player only trailer... D: Which basically is what was linked here. Outside of that have not seen anything else.

Well... why didn't they? I hate to sound caustic, but that's what PR is for.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!

No idea really. As am not familiar with the workings of Atlus USA. But fact of the matter is that they only have what Japan had also.

Larger question is do wonder if the US is getting a demo also?

Cqef

I didn't try nor had the motivation to push further than the Pluto bossfight in Demon Gaze because it wasn't as story / character -centred as I expected it to be. The game was fine and all, but heh, it can't be helped.
But this Dungeon Travelers 2 on the other hand, seems like right up my alley. Parakeetman & co totally sold me the game, colour me hyped!

Hubb

No idea really. As am not familiar with the workings of Atlus USA. But fact of the matter is that they only have what Japan had also.

Larger question is do wonder if the US is getting a demo also?

If I had to guess, I would say they don't expect it to make that much money. It is far easier to use what is already there for you than hire someone/have one of your employees waste a day trying to put a better trailer out.

This game isn't going to reach "everyday" video game users. Most people who are buying this already know about it, or are really into the genre. I imagine very few people are just going to stumble upon it or pick it up on a whim.

Atlus I am sure knows this and decided it isn't worth putting money into marketing.

Parakeetman

If I had to guess, I would say they don't expect it to make that much money. It is far easier to use what is already there for you than hire someone/have one of your employees waste a day trying to put a better trailer out.

This game isn't going to reach "everyday" video game users. Most people who are buying this already know about it, or are really into the genre. I imagine very few people are just going to stumble upon it or pick it up on a whim.

Atlus I am sure knows this and decided it isn't worth putting money into marketing.

Thats basically what I think also. Its going to be one of those "word of mouth" sales driven game. Am pretty sure the average gamer will be scared away by the cover lol.

cj_iwakura

If they care enough to put money into localizing a game, they should care enough to market it.
This has nothing to do with my feelings on the title, but it just seems like publisher common sense, otherwise you're sending a game to die.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
Excited for this, great news!

Never enough dungeon crawlers.

Shengar

This is great, should be released in the right time after I (probably) finished Tokyo Abyss. Shame about the fanservice though, but since the gameplay is praised highly by the DRPG masters here on GAF, I'll try to endure it.

It's pretty common for the first initial trailer to pretty much be one of the trailers that were released in the Japanese release, if not the announcement trailer.

I don't see this being an issue, considering the release isn't like tomorrow. They still have time to release more trailers. No reason to dump everything they have at once.

cj_iwakura

It's pretty common for the first initial trailer to pretty much be one of the trailers that were released in the Japanese release, if not the announcement trailer.

I don't see this being an issue, considering the release isn't like tomorrow. They still have time to release more trailers. No reason to dump everything they have at once.

The first impression's the most important one.

If I didn't know it was a DRPG, that trailer would scare the hell out of me what with all the random images of what looks like assault.

Hubb

If they care enough to put money into localizing a game, they should care enough to market it.
This has nothing to do with my feelings on the title, but it just seems like publisher common sense, otherwise you're sending a game to die.

They must feel there are enough fans to justify the cost/time compared to what else was on their plate. I don't like the idea of sending games to die either, but I'm sure they have some marketing person who told them putting $X into marketing wont give you a big enough return.

Either that or they have some weird localizing partnership that they agreed to localize X amount of their games. No idea if that is a thing or not.

If I didn't know it was a DRPG, that trailer would scare the hell out of me what with all the random images of what looks like assault.

Are you talking about your computer screen being assaulted by a slew of random images?

Maid

Banned
The first impression's the most important one.

It's like how most AAA games only show CG trailer as their first trailer.

And for niche genre as this one, most people already know how to do their research.

Parakeetman

Do we know if we're getting the DLC too? I'd like to put Manaka in my party when I pick this up.

Would be great for all of the fans, but I think the extra localization work might prevent it from happening. :( That and unsure about the rights with the characters and such. Though if it does, people will freak out with the overload of too many characters lol.

Even my game I have not used a lot of them past the early parts of the game.

If Atlus somehow already got locked in to do To Heart 2 Dungeon Traveler also, then as a way to show off the characters early perhaps. Too early to know though.

The pricing was 200 yen for single characters and 1500 yen for the 20 character set.

Hubb

Would be great for all of the fans, but I think the extra localization work might prevent it from happening. :( That and unsure about the rights with the characters and such. Though if it does, people will freak out with the overload of too many characters lol.

If Atlus somehow already got locked in to do To Heart 2 Dungeon Traveler also, then as a way to show off the characters early perhaps. Too early to know though.

The pricing was 200 yen for single characters and 1500 yen for the 20 character set.

Does that translate to $2 a character or $15 for all 20? Probably not worth it since I know nothing about the characters. If there are too many characters already I don't see a point in adding more.

You didn't notice the countless images of the flustered women looking like they were being tortured and/or groped?

No, I saw one image where I can see what you are talking about. Most of it is just introducing the characters with what I am assuming is there standard expression and then it flashes to them making another expression. Some of them are happy, some are angry, some look like they are hurt, some look confused, but none of those look like what you are describing.

Parakeetman

Does that translate to $2 a character or $15 for all 20? Probably not worth it since I know nothing about the characters. If there are too many characters already I don't see a point in adding more.

Yeah its 2 for a character and 15 for all 20. Its actually a little less with the current ER.

Those DLCs were more done for the fans of the original series. As all you are doing is really just increasing your roster and does not really do anything to the story. That and they had the resources laying around for the remake which comes out at the end of this month, so 2 birds with one stone.

Basically what you said since even myself I dont use them, but bought it anyways as wanted the exp up item that came with buying the set lol.

Hubb

Basically what you said since even myself I dont use them, but bought it anyways as wanted the exp up item that came with buying the set lol.

Yeah I saw that mentioned... I'll just have to tell myself that exp item is cheating, so I don't get tempted to buy it.

Parakeetman

here some post game boss.

Massive spoilers obviously.

Yeah I saw that mentioned... I'll just have to tell myself that exp item is cheating, so I don't get tempted to buy it.

It only can be equipped on a single character so its useful for if you want to respec and someone gets knocked down a bunch of levels and you need to catch up. :)

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Oh is the first To Heart 2 based one getting a remake? I'd be interested in getting that if I like this as well since I liked To Heart 2 a bit from what I can remember. (It's been years.)

Parakeetman

Oh is the first To Heart 2 based one getting a remake? I'd be interested in getting that if I like this as well since I liked To Heart 2 a bit from what I can remember. (It's been years.)

Yeah that one comes out here in Japan at the end of the month on the 30th.

The OHP
http://aquaplus.jp/dt1vita/

JP Vita Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=15&v=nl1htIIEUzo

They say the 3d dungeons are fully remade, 2d graphics updated along with the UI functionality / icons etc. So its a proper remake and not that they ported the PSP version right over. :) There also was a 2 episode OVA that came out too.

Labrys

If they could maybe pull what they did with the Aquapazza fighting game that'd be great, if not I can deal, the game still looks fun either way. I'd drop $2 for a character, i've done similarly with Persona Q and the navigators.

I loves me some dungeon RPG and some cheesecake, but I feel a little burned after Demon's Gaze.

That and a (sort of) new Etrian Odyssey is coming out soon.

I'm not sure what to do.

Parakeetman

I wonder if they'll put the item to lvl up faster....crowning characters is so... lol.

I know all of that stuff made perorist go wtf at the fact you managed to get almost all of them crowned right? lol

If they could maybe pull what they did with the Aquapazza fighting game that'd be great, if not I can deal, the game still looks fun either way. I'd drop $2 for a character, i've done similarly with Persona Q and the navigators.

Guess we will have to wait and see in that case. But if its money that can be made and they would have a fair agreement that wouldnt put them in the red cant imagine them leaving it out on purpose. Even if a lot of the community will be unfamiliar with the characters.

Hubb

I loves me some dungeon RPG and some cheesecake, but I feel a little burned after Demon's Gaze.

I'm not sure what to do.

Save it for a rainy day when it eventually hits one of Atlus' many digital sales and pick it up for $10.

I'm not sure what to do.
Same boat, except I'd call Demon Gaze easily the worst game in the genre I've ever played. This isn't from the same developers though. Stranger of Sword City is the same devs. As many problems as I also had with Untold 1, it's hard to imagine it being worse than either of these games, but I think I'm personally going to choose one of these to try out.

In my experience, there's really just no trusting Vita gaf as far as quality goes since Demon Gaze is still paraded around as an awesome DRPG, so I think I'll be giving Experience their last bit of good will and trying out Stranger.

That said, I like Knights in the Knightmare and have heard good things about Yggdra Union from a bigger overall community, so I'm hoping this will also be good. Dokapon Kingdom was not awesome, but it was a unique idea and I think totally forgivable so this might actually be the best way to go.

Parakeetman

Haha, that's not the worst idea.

The simple idea would be do you want a DRPG series that you are familiar with or did you want to try a new IP that has also gotten praise? Granted the huge difference is one has fan service and the other little to none. But that should be your real deciding point. That and which do you want the physical version more of since folks always talk about how Atlus does low prints of physical copies. No idea how true that is for the EO series though.

I am pleasantly surprised about this. Its funny I was just complaining to my friend on how Atlus never localizes any Vita exclusives. Day 1 for sure.

cj_iwakura

Same boat, except I'd call Demon Gaze easily the worst game in the genre I've ever played. This isn't from the same developers though. Stranger of Sword City is the same devs. As many problems as I also had with Untold 1, it's hard to imagine it being worse than either of these games, but I think I'm personally going to choose one of these to try out.

In my experience, there's really just no trusting Vita gaf as far as quality goes since Demon Gaze is still paraded around as an awesome DRPG, so I think I'll be giving Experience their last bit of good will and trying out Stranger.

That said, I like Knights in the Knightmare and have heard good things about Yggdra Union from a bigger overall community, so I'm hoping this will also be good. Dokapon Kingdom was not awesome, but it was a unique idea and I think totally forgivable so this might actually be the best way to go.

You may want to try Operation Abyss since it's modern day, but Stranger does have the more realistic art style. Both look better than DG, IMO(and I liked DG despite its flaws).

autoduelist

Demon Gaze had a little manservice. By the way, the game CJ mentioned (TTGH) has two gay twins in the cast, you can even get their ending.

Conception 2 had a significant amount too. Even Mind Zero had subtle references.

Personally, I'm a fan of 'blank slate' western drpgs without any inter-character relationships of any kind, though.

The stuff in Demon Gaze is all treated like a joke though, right? At least that's the impression I got. That seems to always be the case anytime a dude shows skin in a game like this, it's for a laugh and/or to invoke some "look at this weirdo" reaction from the protagonist.

I don't know that I'd say it's treated like a joke any more than all the other romance stuff.

Hmmmm, reading some stuff here and it seems that the game is actually good? That's kinda surprising. I'm in I guess. Again, just as some reference, I didn't like Demon Gaze which is why I'm kinda wary of DRPGs coming out on Vita.

Why would not liking one game in a genre on a system scare you away from others? That doesn't follow. I mean, it's like saying you didn't like Resistance so you're wary of other fps's on the PS3.

I hate trailers like this. If you're advertising a video game, show a video game, not a series of drawings.

I love first-person dungeon crawlers, but this trailer didn't convince me at all.

edit: I just watched the demo playthrough. Ouch. Now I know why they didn't show any gameplay. That looks really, really, cheap.

I wish the Vita would get an Etrian Odyssey caliber dungeon crawler :/

I don't know, I love first-person dungeon crawlers and can tell deduce a ton from the screenshots. I don't really need to see them 'in action'... they're turn based. Then again, i don't care if they 'look cheap' either, as long as they play well.

There are far, far worse than DG out there. Not really sure how it could even be in the running for 'easily the worst' in genre. I mean, I don't love it as much as some, but it's far from terrible.

Sting games are all wildly different, and often unique takes on each genre. They have that 'Sting' look to them in regards to menus and dialogs and such, but they take wild gameplay chances (like Knights in the Knightmare) that often pay dividends. Yggdra's battle system is superb.

Raggie

Not my footage but taken from the Japanese demo and recorded by someone else.

Also since it does contain some event scenes do consider it NSFW keep that in mind when viewing. Part 1-4 below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WBG09-pFgs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9pv-Ew0Z6Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vp7z_mPeMSo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77_p1yVlEHg

All of the above comes from literally the starting point in the game, so those of you who want to keep the experience fresh would suggest not watching it. Otherwise its a good indication of gameflow. Also to answer the question you start off with only 2 party members and from there will gradually fill your ranks with more characters as you progress in the story.

As stated before the game is a very well crafted DRPG that has a ton of content in it. So the main deciding point which can be a positive / negative and most def will turn a lot of folks away at the same time would be the fanservice.

I think I have a fairly high tolerance for fanservice (after 20 years of manga and anime, it goes without saying), but those videos made me realize this game crosses my treshold. A pity, but I'm going to have to pass unless Atlus will tone it down.

Parakeetman

I think I have a fairly high tolerance for fanservice (after 20 years of manga and anime, it goes without saying), but those videos made me realize this game crosses my treshold. A pity, but I'm going to have to pass unless Atlus will tone it down.

At least you now know ahead of time what to expect and made your decision based off of that rather than having used hard earned money and being disappointed.

Its much better this way that at least folks can make a decision on how much fanservice they are willing to tolerate by watching the footage as thats generally what to expect from the event scenes / after boss scenes.

Now if that helps people for or against the title thats good. Reason being is that the user was allowed to make their initial decision based off of actual gameplay footage showing exactly what is to be expected.

I would much rather have people enjoy the game for what it is rather than submit themselves to playing something they do not enjoy due to some of the content within the title regardless of if it is a good game or not.

Parakeetman

So you can romance that long haired elf dude? That's the first I've heard of it.

The only even that I really remember about him is more the joke scene / event of him dragging the MC off to the public baths in the guild house as the elf sees the MC as a new friend and bonds should be strengthened by bathing together basically.

You can't really romance any of the characters, there are a few fanservice scenes with a couple of them but the game doesn't have multiple endings or anything.

The only even that I really remember about him is more the joke scene of him dragging the MC off to the public baths in the guild house as the elf sees the MC as a new friend and bonds should be strengthened by bathing together basically.
Yeah, that's what I previously thought. Thanks.

You may want to try Operation Abyss since it's modern day, but Stranger does have the more realistic art style. Both look better than DG, IMO(and I liked DG despite its flaws).
I'm not too concerned about the art style, so I'm okay with Stranger. If I don't enjoy the dungeon crawling, I'm going to wash my hands of the company though.

There are far, far worse than DG out there. Not really sure how it could even be in the running for 'easily the worst' in genre. I mean, I don't love it as much as some, but it's far from terrible.
Didn't claim it was the worst ever or in the genre, just by far the worst I've ever had the misfortune of playing.

Parakeetman

I'm not too concerned about the art style, so I'm okay with Stranger. If I don't enjoy the dungeon crawling, I'm going to wash my hands of the company though.

Didn't claim it was the worst ever or in the genre, just by far the worst I've ever had the misfortune of playing.

What was the exact issues you had with it? Since knowing that can help me let give you information on this title based off of your previous experience.

AESplusF

I haven't play a DRPG like this before, I don't really mind fan service (I usually just laugh), would Demon's Gaze be a better title to start with, or this? Or maybe the other game mentioned Operation Abyss? I'm not really concerned with difficutly, just quality and originality really.

Parakeetman

I haven't play a DRPG like this before, I don't really mind fan service (I usually just laugh), would Demon's Gaze be a better title to start with, or this? Or maybe the other game mentioned Operation Abyss? I'm not really concerned with difficutly, just quality and originality really.

Hmm... since this is a long way out and there are sales on demon gaze, it might be worth checking out if you are looking for a DRPG. There are some fanservice scenes, but the majority of the game is not like that. Seeing how you do not mind fanservice am sure you will be fine.

Operation Abyss vs Demon Gaze is Futuristic / Modern setting vs. Fantasy.

The general dungeon crawling is slightly different between the two. Also the resources for the dungeons and backgrounds may look nicer in Demon Gaze due to that being a project built from the ground up where Op Abyss does use a lot of assets from the previous releases of the Labyrinth Cross Blood game.

Op Abyss you get parts and such from random enemy drops, you get them identified and from there can create / dismantle others for parts / resources. Also the way the story flows in Op Abyss is a bit different than Demon Gaze since they are going off an older script / game design.

Demon Gaze is to clear dungeons you need to find all of the summoning circles and win the first battle you have on them and from there defeat the boss of the dungeon. The repeat runs on summoning circles will be done to gain items by placing up to 3 same / different gems on them which will dictate your loot to upping the potential monster difficulty.

Both games have their plus and minus side.

This game Dungeon Travelers 2 has a totally different system and design as unlike Op Abyss and Demon Gaze where you make your own characters that have no personality of their own, Dungeon Travelers 2 you use pre-set story characters that come with their own starting jobs and from there you can class change them once you reach the level reqs. On top of that you have full customization of what skills they learn by spending skill points from leveling up. Lots of skills to learn and those from previous job skills carry over so makes a pretty large selection of skills to choose from once you have a more advanced character. Game is more narration focused than Op Abyss and Demon Gaze. Also this title does have a good amount of post game content too, so one who enjoys DRPGs should get their $$$ worth as long as they do not mind grinding things out as that is what happens in the post game content.

------

First Dungeon in Operation Abyss
*Japanese version

Demon Gaze Gameplay

Not my footage but taken from the Japanese Dungeon Travelers 2 demo and recorded by someone else.

Also since it does contain some event scenes do consider it NSFW keep that in mind when viewing. Part 1-4 below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WBG09-pFgs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9pv-Ew0Z6Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vp7z_mPeMSo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77_p1yVlEHg

All of the above comes from literally the starting point in the game, so those of you who want to keep the experience fresh would suggest not watching it. Otherwise its a good indication of gameflow. Also to answer the question you start off with only 2 party members and from there will gradually fill your ranks with more characters as you progress in the story.

As stated before the game is a very well crafted DRPG that has a ton of content in it. So the main deciding point which can be a positive / negative and most def will turn a lot of folks away at the same time would be the fanservice.

What was the exact issues you had with it? Since knowing that can help me let give you information on this title based off of your previous experience.
I am not very experienced in the genre. I had played EOIII, IV, Strange Journey, Dark Spire, Persona 1, Unchained Blades, and a bit of the PS3 Wizardry previous to Demon Gaze. Have added Untold and Persona Q since.

I found the challenge and strategy required for random battles to be absent in DG. I was able to safely autobattle the majority of the game. That is forgivable to some extent, because I like the dungeons themselves to be challenging, but part of the experience for me is also the anxiety of exploring knowing that a back attack from certain enemy formations will likely wipe me and preparing for that risk.

Which brings me to my main issue, that the dungeon crawling left a lot to be desired.
You get a demon early in the game that neutralizes threatening tiles. Spinning tiles are an absolute joke because the paths are always positioned so that you can tell exactly where you are. Dark rooms were a huge joke since you could actually see and kept your mini map. Puzzles were few and far between. Teleporting did show up, which I always appreciate, but also in a very elementary way.
For me, the actual dungeon crawl itself might as well have been on autopilot. Every single element I encountered except the clock tower was familiar and better executed in other games.

On top of that, the maps themselves seemed fairly small and I felt like other games I played had more dungeon to be explored overall. That part might have been in my head though, I haven't actually done a comparison.

AESplusF

Thanks for the reply, set classes/characters and heavier narration sound good, I'll have to give each one a better look but I'm leaning towards this one for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom