• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atlus USA is bringing Conception II (PSV/3DS) to North America

Marche90

Add another unlikely localization to the list. I wonder which game will be next. Akiba's Trip, by Aksys?
yes, please!

atlusprime

Atlus PR
I want to know if it's retail or digital only on 3DS, as it's $40, that should say retail, as no digital-only release is $40, only up to $30 IIRC.

Plus WHY would Atlus do that when they've seen good-great success on 3DS in NA? All of their games are both retail and digital on 3DS at least. Overclocked was the exception until a month ago I think.

Both!

is this fun to play? kinda lost interest when i saw the screen with the pink haired girl.

5WvmA3x.jpg

Never forget.
Never forgive.

indeed. what have you done, atlus.

is this fun to play? kinda lost interest when i saw the screen with the pink haired girl.

indeed. what have you done, atlus.

It still blows my mind that we got SOUL HACKERS even, but not this game. Maybe that is for the better, considering I already beat P2EP numerous times and Soul Hackers was fuckin cool in many ways.

atlusprime

Atlus PR
I want to know if it's retail or digital only on 3DS, as it's $40, that should say retail, as no digital-only release is $40, only up to $30 IIRC.

Plus WHY would Atlus do that when they've seen good-great success on 3DS in NA? All of their games are both retail and digital on 3DS at least. Overclocked was the exception until a month ago I think.

Both!

Yasumi

Banned
Official site is up, full version coming soon.

Edit: I notice on my tab, it says "Available Spring 2013".
Hmm, only the e-shop logo for the 3DS? Wonder if that might mean digital release only.

Add another unlikely localization to the list. I wonder which game will be next. Akiba's Trip, by Aksys?
yes, please!
The Akiba's Trip games would be a licensing nightmare. So many different anime, games, brands, products, etc. Can't see them happening.

Clov

5WvmA3x.jpg

Never forget.
Never forgive.

Why did you have to remind me of this, you reopened an old wound. ;-; Of all the PSP games yet to be localized, I wanted that one the most. Now it will never happen. The pain...

I'm pretty surprised by this announcement. I think I'll check out the Vita version when it comes out.

The only thing that keeps running through my mind is that this has to be some kind of April Fools joke, even though it can't possibly be. Never in a million years would I have guessed Conception of all games would get localised.

That said, it's a nice surprise - yet another Vita RPG for me to import next year.

L~A

Huh? Overclocked was released as both retail and digital, though digital only came muuuch later.

Official website only mentions the Nintendo eShop, no trace of the 3DS logo... that's fishy. Besides, I find that message at the bottom of the page really weird, too.

Huh? Overclocked was released as both retail and digital, though digital only came muuuch later.

Official website only mentions the Nintendo eShop, no trace of the 3DS logo... that's fishy. Besides, I find that message at the bottom of the page really weird, too.

That's what I meant. XD

And atlusprime just confirmed retail and digital above! :D

randomkid

I thought Chunsoft was supposed to be a really well respected developer. From Dragon Quests and acclaimed roguelikes and visual/sound novels to this?

Razlo

Loved the demo of this game, I will definitely be picking it up when it hits! Playing it reminded me of a team based Persona.

Tohsaka

I never would've expected this to be localized, I'll pick up the Vita version for sure. I really hope it's dual audio, but since it's Atlus I doubt it.

Darksol

Screenshots:

p4s_06_1.png

p4s_06_2.png

p4s_06_3.png

p4s_06_4.png

p4s_06_5.png

p4s_06_6.png

p4s_06_7.png

p4s_06_8.png

I'm buying. I have the Japanese import of the first PSP game. Never thought this would get localized. Wow.

L~A

That's what I meant. XD

And atlusprime just confirmed retail and digital above! :D

Atlus Prime?

But yeah, pretty good news, though it doesn't change much for me since I'm both a 100% digital player... and I live in Europe atm, so yeah, no release for me right now.

Wonder why there's only the eShop logo on the website... which is weird, since the logo is the same for both Wii U / 3DS. Kinda misleading...

More randomish niche RPGs? Excellent.

The funny thing is, I don't even really care if it's a fairly generic RPG dungeon crawler. With the shear lack of titles we get as far as RPGs that never make it over here, I will gladly take this. I really want a PS1/PS2 heyday of localization where even if not all of them were great you still had a bunch to choose from and sometimes you're okay and have fun with that 6/10 or 7/10 game more than the 9/10 blockbuster.

koutoru

Now that I think about. This game actually fits in well with all the other demon taming games that Atlus has localized in the past.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
NISA, confirm this over here in Europe. I mean, look at the PR

IRVINE, Calif. - Nov. 19, 2013 - When two game companies love each other very much, a magical thing happens. ATLUS and Spike Chunsoft didn't use protection when localizing and publishing together and are now the proud parents of the turn-based RPG Conception II: Children of the Seven Stars. Although this is the first game in the series localized into English, Conception II has a standalone story. Conception II will be delivered in the spring of 2014, for the Nintendo 3DS™ and PlayStation®Vita handheld entertainment system.

In Conception II, players take on the role of a young man beginning his training as a Disciple - a human gifted with the divine powers of one of the Star Gods, and one of the few who can fight the monsters that plague the world. These monsters emanate from the Pandora Labyrinth, which births these abominations at a prodigious rate. Worse yet, the Pandora Labyrinth is beginning to spawn labyrinths of its own, so it's up to the Disciples to put an end to it. And even worse than that, a Star God's power only resides within a human until the age of 18 and the need for new Disciples is at an all-time high. Meaning Disciples will have to combine their powers to "create" Star Children who can fight for them in battle. Let's put it this way... it brings a new meaning to the phrase "after-school activities."

For those eager to figure out the birds and the bees of Conception II, here are some of the game's features:

No Child Labor Laws: In addition to the protagonist and his fellow students bravely entering the Labyrinths, you must combine your powers with other Disciples to give life to Star Children, ethereal beings that can fight in battle. But, like regular children, it's important to make sure they're strong enough to face monsters from beyond the veil of sanity in battle.

No Monogamy For You, Player: The protagonist has opportunities to strengthen his bonds with seven key heroines throughout the game. Not only does this help you create stronger Star Children, but the girls become more formidable as well, making them reliable partners in battle... and other places.

Assume the Position: Monsters in Conception II all have weak spots, and their vulnerabilities are revealed based on the direction characters attack from. Colored arrows help the Disciples see which direction will cause the most damage when attacked. The order your party takes action will depend on your choices and each character's agility. Understanding the turn system and finding the best location to attack from will bring about swift and decisive victory.

Getting Chained Down: Another key system in Conception II is the Chain Drive, a meter that slowly builds during combat. When it reaches climax, a monster will be chained down, slowing it dramatically. This opens the enemy up for major damage.

Conception II will be published in North America by ATLUS beginning in spring 2014 for the PlayStation Vita and Nintendo 3DS. The game will be $39.99 for either version. More details will be on the game's official website at atlus.com/conception2.

I mean, look at the beginning

IRVINE, Calif. - Nov. 19, 2013 - When two game companies love each other very much, a magical thing happens. ATLUS and Spike Chunsoft didn't use protection when localizing and publishing together and are now the proud parents of the turn-based RPG Conception II: Children of the Seven Stars. Although this is the first game in the series localized into English, Conception II has a standalone story. Conception II will be delivered in the spring of 2014, for the Nintendo 3DS™ and PlayStation®Vita handheld entertainment system.

I need to buy this just for that. :lol :lol :lol :lol

CamHostage

Why even bring the 3DS version?

Audience is on Vita.

I have a feeling that was a relatively big decider in bringing the game over at all. The Vita audience has not yet established its market viability outside of indie games (though the PS fanbase is strong and Atlus has already rooted fans there with P4Golden. And the 3DS audience, while being very difficult to court outside of the big Nintendo franchises, is the market that stands to grow the most outside in the immediate future (even with new consoles, it is right now the same players buying them, whereas 3DS price deals and 2DS will continue to grow that platform's buyer base, and if DS is anything to go by, it'll introduce new or lax gamers.) If Atlus can catch a piece of that Japanese gaming fanbase here with 3DS releases, it'd be good for them. And it helps bolster the viability of Vita releases too when they can double up on the marketing. (I'm not in favor of a rash of Vita games being made at 3DS graphics quality, but not every game is going to max out Vita, and at this point Vita can't always afford to be picky.)

huh. so the sequel but not the original?

The original was on PSP, so that'd be a difficult game to market now. Also, the two Conception games apparently stand alone, so you don't need one to play the other.

I am surprised they kept the "Conception II" name though rather than just calling it "Conception: Children of the Seven Stars" with the subtitle hiding the fact that it's a sequel while still keeping Japanese continuity.

yes, please!

No. Conception is a cheeky concept, but it's not nearly as perverted (it's mostly in the mind, though the art style puts images in your head) as it sounds when described out loud; Akiba'sTrip is not so innocent.

Top Bottom