• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Attack on Titan (Shingeki no Kyojin) manga thread of TOTAL SPOILER PANDEMONIUM

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I actually did exactly that. I was about three panels later before what I'd read actually sunk in. I re-read it, and was just... yeah. Thought it worked really well.

NEO0MJ

I actually did exactly that. I was about three panels later before what I'd read actually sunk in. I re-read it, and was just... yeah. Thought it worked really well.

I think it works better when you see how much Reiner is losing it later on.

And then Eren has this hilariously weird reaction due to him trying to play dumb since he already knows.

I think Bertholt was the only one freaking out during that moment.

Soma

The reveal was something where I understood Isayama's intent and what he was going for but the execution just felt sooooo damn clumsy to where I was like "oh... ok?"

Probably didn't help that I already knew it was gonna happen sooner or later too. I honestly haven't been enjoying the manga as much since then but chapter 49 was pretty damn great.

suzu

When they do the reveal in the anime, I think it will be just as hilarious to me if they keep it like the manga.

For the record, I did not mind the way they did it.

Necrovex

When they do the reveal in the anime, I think it will be just as hilarious to me if they keep it like the manga.

For the record, I did not mind the way they did it.

I'm neutral about that reveal, but the randomness of it all is what killed me.

Erigu

I hope Mikasa's titan reveal is even more subdued.
I do expect some kind of reveal regarding Mikasa though. That unseen tattoo surely means something (in fact, I wouldn't be surprised if she was what Reiner and Bertolt are looking for).

They both are constantly covered in moisture, though. We should have seen it coming.
There are many scenes that are quite funny/interesting in retrospect, when you know about those two.
Like when Armin goes "keep your hoods on so she won't know who you are!" and Reiner goes ahead and ignores that because he wants Annie to know who he is.
Or when Armin, thinking he will have to stay behind and die, is about to ask Reiner to tell Erwin that he thinks the female titan is Annie (had Christa shown up a few seconds later, Reiner would have had to silence Armin).
Or how Reiner tries to stop Connie from talking about his mother but Ymir gets the same idea and is quicker.

wonzo

Banned
I do expect some kind of reveal regarding Mikasa though. That unseen tattoo surely means something (in fact, I wouldn't be surprised if she was what Reiner and Bertolt are looking for).
It'd be pretty interesting if the rich people the thugs were talking about in the kidnapping flashback was actually misleading the kidnappers into thinking they were getting the mother and her child for the sex trade and not perhaps some other ulterior motive…

Alucrid

Banned
So I went out and was able to find the manga volume where the show left off at. Holy fucking shit at that talking titan.

It is kind of funny seeing anime-only people on here and other sites speculate about the meaning and possible reason behind "Eren's fire powers" vs "Annie's ice powers."

So I went out and was able to find the manga volume where the show left off at. Holy fucking shit at that talking titan.

monkey trouble is the best goddamned thing in this series and i hope that they do him justice

Alucrid

Banned
It is kind of funny seeing anime-only people on here and other sites speculate about the meaning and possible reason behind "Eren's fire powers" vs "Annie's ice powers."

monkey trouble is the best goddamned thing in this series and i hope that they do him justice

I thought he was gonna be a cool, gentle giant kinda guy. Then he just fucks over Mike.

20 total volumes of SnK? That's weird

there will be a lot of unanswered questions

Not if the basement is the be-all, end-all. If it's the equivalent of Elfhelm in Berserk (the place that's taking Guts and co. 900 years to get to...), then all the answers could be there. Although it would come off as a bit of a deus ex machina.

they get to the basement and the only thing in there is a note saying "EREN IF YOU GET INJURED AND MAD YOU CAN TURN INTO A TITAN, XOXO DAD"

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
The dad is an arsehole.

Instead of just telling anyone an information that might be CRUCIAL TO THE EXISTENCE OF THE ENTIRE MANKIND, he just left while leaving cryptic-as-hell messages to his kid.

Branduil

The dad is an arsehole.

Instead of just telling anyone an information that might be CRUCIAL TO THE EXISTENCE OF THE ENTIRE MANKIND, he just left while leaving cryptic-as-hell messages to his kid.

Like I said in the anime thread, Eren's dad is a terrible person for injecting his traumatized and already mentally-disturbed son with titan serum. I mean, he thought it was a good idea to inject his own son, who just watched his mother get eaten, and who had killed two grown men without inhibition, with a serum that turns him into a raging giant monster. And then he abandoned him, leaving his children no real choice but to become teenage soldiers. What a jerk.

wonzo

Banned
Like I said in the anime thread, Eren's dad is a terrible person for injecting his traumatized and already mentally-disturbed son with titan serum. I mean, he thought it was a good idea to inject his own son, who just watched his mother get eaten, and who had killed two grown men without inhibition, with a serum that turns him into a raging giant monster. And then he abandoned him, leaving his children no real choice but to become teenage soldiers. What a jerk.
He comes from a long line of terrible anime/manga fathers. Eva singularity spinoff confirmed.

Croc

Banned
Speaking of Eren's dad, for some reason I'm kind of thinking that he is the ape-titan

I have no evidence or reasons

Gbraga

I think the reveal was great, and even though it was predictable, a part of me was wishing it wasn't true.

Such a badass, suplexing titans and protecting the russian skies, Reiner fucking Braun.

I do think the manga is going downhill though, the last few chapters have been awful.

ElFly

Don't know if the eating-people-to-control-the-titan-brain theory is true; remember that the titans don't really eat people, they just keep them in their stomachs and vomit them back later. Maybe they have to really digest a human brain to become in control again.

Dresden

You thought Eren's dad was a terrible person, but what you didn't realize is that his dad is just Eren from the future.

ElFly

UV24Q3O.png

This is going to bite them in the ass once the Titans get back to Titanville and tell everyone that they are torturing Annie so the time for games is over.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Fuck Mikasa being a titan, I'm waiting for giga-Titan Armin. Now, he are become Death, destroyer of worlds.

FlipWilson

Neo Member
lolz it seems alot of people couldn't wait for that 2nd season of AoT *puts on hipster glasses* yeah well I was reading AoT before it was cool

anyway the more the merrier don't forget to read the prologue..don't know where the author is going with that but very intersting even thout it's like 13 pages.

I think the reveal was great, and even though it was predictable, a part of me was wishing it wasn't true.

Such a badass, suplexing titans and protecting the russian skies, Reiner fucking Braun.

I do think the manga is going downhill though, the last few chapters have been awful.

You're crazy! The last chapter was awesome! Christa killing a Titan. Jean saving Mikasa. Mikasa not giving a shit. Armin being sadistic. Erwin being the manliest man to ever live. Whats not to like?

Actually, the preview shows that in the next chapter everyone becomes a titan in order to fight the horde.
That image is great for countless reasons.

Mikasa's ripped male physique, how happy Armin is in his goofy doughy titan body, and Connie's transformation backfiring and him possibly shrinking.

NEO0MJ

That image is great for countless reasons.

Mikasa's ripped male physique, how happy Armin is in his goofy doughy titan body, and Connie's transformation backfiring and him possibly shrinking.

I love how focused titan Armin is, the man's on a mission. While rest are just sitting around he's already on the move.

Phew.. that would be stupid as hell.

So what are all the theories you guys have come up with? Anyone care to list/summarize them? I wanna see before I add my own.

Everyone's a titan, believe.

I'm part of the anime-to-manga group and I've got a question for those who have been reading for some time: Was the reveal of the Armored and Colossal Titan a surprise to the readers? I know the way he revealed the information is controversial but I'm interested in their identities - Once you guess or see Annie as the Female Titan it's pretty easy to draw cosmetic similarities between Reiner/Berthold and Armored/Colossal, not to mention they all hung out together throughout the show.

Did this catch readers by surprise or was it pretty well pieced together by the time of the reveal?

I'm part of the anime-to-manga group and I've got a question for those who have been reading for some time: Was the reveal of the Armored and Colossal Titan a surprise to the readers? I know the way he revealed the information is controversial but I'm interested in their identities - Once you guess or see Annie as the Female Titan it's pretty easy to draw cosmetic similarities between Reiner/Berthold and Armored/Colossal, not to mention they all hung out together throughout the show.

Did this catch readers by surprise or was it pretty well pieced together by the time of the reveal?

There was like one guy on a manga site's forum who figured it out months in advance but nobody was sure.

Honestly, at the time it didn't seem as obvious, probably because you didn't see the Armored Titan with blond hair in the manga, and the... uh, unique artwork in a lot of the earlier chapters meant that instead of Lingering Meaningful Shots of Reiner, Berthold, and Annie standing together and staring at important things, it was easier to just overlook it as background fluff of the dozen trainee characters getting reaction shots.

JulianImp

So... I've abandoned the anime ship. Gotta see if there's any viable way for me to get a hold of the english volumes, but I think I might even go for the japanese ones if they have furigana in them (both will probably be expensive as hell due to being imports, though). I did read up on a few things on my own anyway, so...

There was like one guy on a manga site's forum who figured it out months in advance but nobody was sure.

Honestly, at the time it didn't seem as obvious, probably because you didn't see the Armored Titan with blond hair in the manga, and the... uh, unique artwork in a lot of the earlier chapters meant that instead of Lingering Meaningful Shots of Reiner, Berthold, and Annie standing together and staring at important things, it was easier to just overlook it as background fluff of the dozen trainee characters getting reaction shots.

Honestly, after the Annie reveal and without even paying too much attention to Reiner and his buddy, it was quite obvious they had to be the armored and collossal titans. My train of though was that, given the show's penchant for making the people around Eren the only relevant characters, the special titans wouldn't be someone we barely knew and it'd all come down to someone who was part of the 104th battallion (or, rather, the top ten recruits). With Marco gone, the only group of two males who hung out together was Reiner+Bernie.

The anime's ending for the second season was a bit too heavy-handed in that regard as well, since it showed Annie, Reiner, Bernie, Ymir and Christa on the separate side of the wall Eren, Armin, Mikasa and the others were on.

Still, this is all based on the anime, so differences such as not knowing the armored titan's hair color in the manga would probably make a big difference.

Top Bottom