• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Attack on Titan (Shingeki no Kyojin) manga thread of TOTAL SPOILER PANDEMONIUM

Still, this is all based on the anime, so differences such as not knowing the armored titan's hair color in the manga would probably make a big difference.
Alternately, without a voice and color to distinguish them, the reveal made me go "Wait... is that Reiner or Jean?"

Neither of whom had done anything particularly noteworthy at that point, until you realize after the fact that Reiner tipped off Annie in the forest.

Also I like triple checking the thread title to make sure I'm not accidentally posting in the anime thread.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Thing is, because of the colouring the anime gives the Armoured Titan and the way the Female Titan is portrayed, it's very clear they're Annie and Reiner (at least, I guessed those two successfully, anyway), but it makes it super misleading for the Colossal Titan because Bertholdt doesn't look like the Colossal Titan. While I didn't think it was Pixis, I know a huge number of people who did (I simply assumed it probably wasn't a character we'd met yet), just because Pixis sort of looks like the Colossal Titan.

aravuus

I have a hard time distinguishing the characters from each other in the manga thanks to the art style.

What chapters did the anime cover again?

kirblar

I have a hard time distinguishing the characters from each other in the manga thanks to the art style.

What chapters did the anime cover again?
Up to 32-33, that's where you should start.

It'll be easier to differentiate them because a big chunk of the upcoming content is all about the other half of the main cast that we've barely spent any time with since the training days. You'll be able to tell them apart once you're through.

Hypron

Thing is, because of the colouring the anime gives the Armoured Titan and the way the Female Titan is portrayed, it's very clear they're Annie and Reiner (at least, I guessed those two successfully, anyway), but it makes it super misleading for the Colossal Titan because Bertholdt doesn't look like the Colossal Titan. While I didn't think it was Pixis, I know a huge number of people who did (I simply assumed it probably wasn't a character we'd met yet), just because Pixis sort of looks like the Colossal Titan.

Yeah, I just read all the chapters this afternoon after having finished the anime, and while I had guessed that the armoured titan was Reiner, I had absolutely no idea Bertholdt was the colossal titan. Pixis was the only candidate I could think of (he's probably the only bold character that had significant screen time), even though it would have made absolutely no sense whatsoever.

NEO0MJ

Yeah, I just read all the chapters this afternoon after having finished the anime, and while I had guessed that the armoured titan was Reiner, I had absolutely no idea Bertholdt was the colossal titan. Pixis was the only candidate I could think of (he's probably the only bold character that had significant screen time), even though it would have made absolutely no sense whatsoever.

While I didn't think it was Pixis, I agree that it's pretty hard to guess the Colossal titan for three reason:
1-The Colossal Titan was set up to appear as the big bad, so you wouldn't expect him to be a kid.
2-The Colossal Titan doesn't really have any distinguishable features on his body to connect him with his human form.
3-Bertholdt was kinda invisible in my opinion, I actually forgot how close he and Reiner were.

Yeah this all makes sense. Since I watched the show, guessing Reiner wasn't too hard but I had forgotten Bertholdt even existed on multiple occasions. He certainly wasn't on my radar as being the Colossal Titan. I don't think I would have made the Reiner connection without the hair color connection though.

As for motives. . . I got nothing.

Hellix

While I didn't think it was Pixis, I agree that it's pretty hard to guess the Colossal titan for three reason:
1-The Colossal Titan was set up to appear as the big bad, so you wouldn't expect him to be a kid.
2-The Colossal Titan doesn't really have any distinguishable features on his body to connect him with his human form.
3-Bertholdt was kinda invisible in my opinion, I actually forgot how close he and Reiner were.

Well Bert is the tallest out of the cast, and he is constantly sweating.

HrbBNq2.png

aravuus

Up to 32-33, that's where you should start.

It'll be easier to differentiate them because a big chunk of the upcoming content is all about the other half of the main cast that we've barely spent any time with since the training days. You'll be able to tell them apart once you're through.

Oh no haha, I've read the manga till the latest chapter already :V

I was just thinking that if the anime isn't super slow, I should probably follow it instead of the manga. Because I really dislike the manga's art.

e: and because I'm optimistic, I assume we're going to get the full story in anime form in the future.

Flai

Anyone knows when the first full chapter of the Before the Fall is supposed to be coming? I thought it should've already been published.. :(

Akito

Anyone knows when the first full chapter of the Before the Fall is supposed to be coming? I thought it should've already been published.. :(
The magazine was released on September 26th in Japan, give it a couple more days.

Clott

Just finished up the show, and so freaking frustrated over the total lack of answers.

Anyway, I was just about to sit down and read the manga, but should I start from the beginning, or has the anime used the manga as a large story board and I simply will be experiencing the same thing. I would only jump in to 32 if I won't miss anything.

ElFly

I remember the revelation of Annie as the female titan, and going back to the initial issues to find whether she revealed anything. Then I got distracted by the wacky antics of the training and learned nothing.

Rereading the old issues I have to wonder if all the titans have humans inside; Rivaille squad had two titans captured and they were really "tiny", 3 and 4 meters tall only. They perform experiments to see if any other part of their body is a weak point and stick knives all over them except the neck and they survive.

Then again, those titans are murdered during the night, which means they were going to reveal something about them. Maybe the small titans only have babies inside.

Watched episode 25 yesterday and then read the manga to the latest issue. Wow! Good stuff. I feel kinda bad I couldn't wait to see it animated, but it was pretty damn interesting.

WHO THE FUCK IS THE MONKEY TITAN?! Probably my biggest question. I also wish Reiner had given some info into their motives. When they were talking to Eren I thought they were going to answer some things. But I just feel like I have more questions.

rexor0717

I'm going over some of the chapters again, its crazy how many loose ends there are right now. I'm still waiting for the alternate reality/ time travel stuff to come to the forefront. The manga has so much amnesa/deja vu/strange memories that I can't help but think there is something more going on that what is apparent.

LogicStep

Well Bert is the tallest out of the cast, and he is constantly sweating.

hahaha poor guy. I really wonder what their motives are, it looks like they did what they did and what they're doing because they have no other choice. That's what I'm getting from this. And where the hell is Eren's dad in all of this? That damn basement seems to be an eternity away.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
hahaha poor guy. I really wonder what their motives are, it looks like they did what they did and what they're doing because they have no other choice. That's what I'm getting from this. And where the hell is Eren's dad in all of this? That damn basement seems to be an eternity away.
Yeah they were certainly groomed to do that stuff with no other choice. The fact that they were kids when they did what they did really puts in perspective their current personality issues and doubts.

I love how the reveal of them being the titans was just burst out in a background conversation. :lol Best way it could be done. It actually took me a bit to think about the fact they were much younger back then because shit kept hitting the fan.

I'm going over some of the chapters again, its crazy how many loose ends there are right now. I'm still waiting for the alternate reality/ time travel stuff to come to the forefront. The manga has so much amnesa/deja vu/strange memories that I can't help but think there is something more going on that what is apparent.

I would be so upset. It's making me mad just considering time travel.

manfestival

finished ep 25 feeling shafted

finally caught up in the manga while holding out while watching the anime

screw that monkey guy. SCREW HIM

LogicStep

Yeah they were certainly groomed to do that stuff with no other choice. The fact that they were kids when they did what they did really puts in perspective their current personality issues and doubts.

I love how the reveal of them being the titans was just burst out in a background conversation. :lol Best way it could be done. It actually took me a bit to think about the fact they were much younger back then because shit kept hitting the fan.

You know.. this may be obvious but for some reason I completely missed it. That's true, they were kids when they did these things. I haven't been into a manga before like I am into this one. So many questions, really excited to see where this goes.

Soma

Ch. 50 raws are out

omg hannes ;__________;

also WHAT THE FUCK @ Eren

EDIT - Chapter 50 Summary (spoilered just in case):
Hannes rushes to Momeater
Hannes dies
Erwin fell off horse, says he can be replaced but please bring Eren back
Eren laughs at how he's still useless even when he dies
Mikasa thanking Eren for giving her the scarf
Eren promises her he'll wrap the scarf for her how many times she wants
Eren yells-commanded titans to rush at momeater
Meanwhile others are in great danger, Jean fell or some crap, Armin holding him against the horde
Christa finaly overcame her martyr complex and promised ymir that they'll live for themselves
Eren commanded titans to swarm Reiner and Bert
They can't catch up
Reiner mumbling something about giving the coordinate to the most dangerous person
Reiner never catched up, Eren with others went back to safety

kirblar

Oh snap he has Ape-Titan's ability? No wonder they were trying to kidnap him.

Also, Ymir goes back at the end to rescue Bert and Ernie.

So
there might actually be a connection between Eren and Monkey Trouble both having skin and pointy elf ears?

Also
Eren being able to command Titans means that humanity's situation just completely changed, right?

edit:
ha, weird, clearly Asian Titan in one panel

rexor0717

Yo, I know I said shit went down last chapter, but shit really went down this chapter. Now we know why they want Eren so bad.
I didn't even read the english version, but I had enough of an idea of what was going down by the pictures alone. Damn, Eren can command the Titans too. Wow, this is a huge development. I'm excited for next month :(

Also, page 29 is some of the ugliest art I've seen in a manga. Jeez

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
I do expect some kind of reveal regarding Mikasa though. That unseen tattoo surely means something (in fact, I wouldn't be surprised if she was what Reiner and Bertolt are looking for).

I think they're looking for Eren's dad, and the basement that's somehow too dangerous to go into right now, but going outside the walls entirely is perfectly fine.

rexor0717

I do expect some kind of reveal regarding Mikasa though. That unseen tattoo surely means something (in fact, I wouldn't be surprised if she was what Reiner and Bertolt are looking for).
Someone on reddit was talking about how occasionally Mikasa will get a headache and say, "Oh, this again." Like she is holding something back. It happened the first time the titans attacked and right after Bert and Reiner revealed themselves.

Erigu

the basement that's somehow too dangerous to go into right now, but going outside the walls entirely is perfectly fine.
?
As we've seen these past few episodes and back during the female titan arc, going outside the walls certainly isn't safe, and the basement is even farther than where they are now, so...

Someone on reddit was talking about how occasionally Mikasa will get a headache and say, "Oh, this again." Like she is holding something back. It happened the first time the titans attacked and right after Bert and Reiner revealed themselves.
I do wonder about those headaches, but considering the TV series completely ignored them, I'm thinking maybe they're not all that relevant to the plot.
Maybe Mikasa simply gets headaches whenever her new family is threatened? It could be the pain from the day her biological family was attacked that suddenly resurfaces.
Or it is relevant to the plot, and the TV series once again dropped the ball.

Damn, what a chapter.

Hannes T_________T

Holy shit Eren can now command titans. Not sure if it was the sketches but it looked like Eren had that shit on his face as a human that all the Titan shifters have when theyre inside piloting.

Also, unrelated to the latest chapter, but I wonder if Reiner and Bert will gain redemption one day and have Eren on their side or vice versa.

rexor0717

Damn, what a chapter.

Hannes T_________T

Holy shit Eren can now command titans. Not sure if it was the sketches but it looked like Eren had that shit on his face as a human that all the Titan shifters have when theyre inside piloting.

Also, unrelated to the latest chapter, but I wonder if Reiner and Bert will gain redemption one day and have Eren on their side or vice versa.

I think they will be. I figure they would have just killed off Annie if they had no plan to bring her around again. And it would be entirely uninteresting if there wasn't some development that made them consider her in a different light. Since they are part of the same group, I'd imagine Bert and Reiner will at least get some small bit of redemption by the end of it.

Chake

Banned
Does this mean that eren
can turn people into titans?

Also, Mikasa
was ready to "get down" with eren. Can't wait to see how the anime version handles it, or how the fans are going to.

neptunes

Monkey Titan is totally Eren's Father right? there's no other way

Does the current chapter change what his father was alluding to in their basement? or is that still another major reveal waiting to happen?

It would be funny if Titans were just soldiers from other continents sent to invade another.

Each continent having the ability to create titans and command them for their own gain.

rexor0717

Monkey Titan is totally Eren's Father right? there's no other way

Does this change what his father was alluding to in their basement?

or is that point null an void?

It would be funny if Titans were just soldiers from other continents sent to invade another.

Each continent having the ability to create titans and command them for their own gain.

No, he most likely isnt. The Monkey titan didn't even know what the 3D Maneuvering Gear was, so its no one that was in the walls.

Top Bottom